Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:19:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Southport \"bomb scare\"  (Read 2592 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Southport \"bomb scare\"
« on October 27, 2010, 07:33:12 pm by Donnywolf »
Talking to my mate today who is an Owl who have Southport away in the FA Cup

Gave me chance for a quick gloat but then I moved on to Rovers away games and in particular one from the early 70's featuring the bomb scare

All people in Ground were let on to the pitch and of course we stood with the Players as they were not allowed in the stands either

Anyone else there that day ?

Do you also remember big Brens header than was a goal all the way till it bounced and spun MORE than Shane Warnes ball against Gatting

Big Bren could not believe it when we spoke about it on the pitch and poor bugger got slated next day in the papers for missing a \"sitter\". I forget the score but remember we were robbed

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re:Southport \"bomb scare\"
« Reply #1 on October 28, 2010, 09:34:29 pm by Donnywolf »
362 views no replies

Alonzo Bob G where are you both ?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 28, 2010, 10:50:16 pm by BobG »
I wasn't there Wolfie..... Sorry :)

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 28, 2010, 11:18:03 pm by RobTheRover »
I was probably sat around in me nappy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 28, 2010, 11:23:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I remember a home match being affected by a bomb scare. Xmas 73 or 74 wasn't it?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re:Southport
« Reply #5 on October 28, 2010, 11:24:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RobTheRover wrote:
I was probably sat around in me nappy.

He said early 70s, not early 90s.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 28, 2010, 11:35:24 pm by RobTheRover »
Har chuffing har!

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 29, 2010, 02:45:01 am by AlonzoDrake »
Hi John -- indeed I was there. The game was not played in the early 70s – it took place on Tuesday night, April 3, 1976. It was bloody freezing stood around on the pitch whilst the plods searched the stands, but it was even worse going back over the Pennines in an ancient Triumph Herald in which the heater did not work.

Big Bren scored our goal in a 1-1 draw in front of 1,599.

Haig Avenue was always a bit of a bogey ground for us, and we suffered many unlucky odd goal defeats there over the years. In addition, on August 28, 1965 Keith Ripley became our first ever playing substitute on that ground when he came on in the second half in place of a limping Laurie Sheffield. Needless to say, we lost 2-1.

BTW, I watched the lads live v the Blades on the Fox Soccer Channel here. I am so proud of the boys and the club.

I think we are stitched on for a top six place this season.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 29, 2010, 08:46:01 am by RobTheRover »
In that case, for BST's benefit, as I was 5 years old then, I suspect I was out of nappies, but it would have been past my bedtime.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 30, 2010, 07:18:50 am by Donnywolf »
AlonzoDrake wrote:
Hi John -- indeed I was there. The game was not played in the early 70s – it took place on Tuesday night, April 3, 1976. It was bloody freezing stood around on the pitch whilst the plods searched the stands, but it was even worse going back over the Pennines in an ancient Triumph Herald in which the heater did not work.

Big Bren scored our goal in a 1-1 draw in front of 1,599.

Ay up AD nice to get a reply from your encyclopedia of a brain but I was there during an afternoon game . I have mislaid my Rovers History but WAS at working at Rockware at the time (with our mutual mate GO)

I came off nights on say Easter Monday morning went to the game - had a few beers on way home = then my \"mates\" dropped me back off at the gates at 21.30 for my last Night shift

That is why I know it was not a night game - so 2 Bomb scares at Southport. Did a terror group have it in for them or us - or both ?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 30, 2010, 09:29:15 am by idler »
Hi Donnywolf. I weas at Rockware between 1971-74, a few of us on B crew were big Rovers supporters. I remember 4 of us going to Liverpool for the draw with Liverpool in the FA cup.
We went in Eric Hardy's Mini Cooper. The M62 hadn't been open all that long and there was hardly any traffic on it.
Happy days.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 30, 2010, 10:16:53 am by hoolahoop »
idler wrote:
Hi Donnywolf. I weas at Rockware between 1971-74, a few of us on B crew were big Rovers supporters. I remember 4 of us going to Liverpool for the draw with Liverpool in the FA cup.
We went in Eric Hardy's Mini Cooper. The M62 hadn't been open all that long and there was hardly any traffic on it.
Happy days.

Remember it well Idler and what a day that was. I remember 8/9 of us went in a mini-bus and the driver was awe struck by the M62 (don't think he had ventured on a motorway before).
I do remember cars with Rovers scarves waving in the wind in the back windows Jeez I nearly wet mesen that day with excitement. Cracking day out but we got lost on the way out but nobody gave a fook, we wanted the experience of going to Anfield to last forever ; anyway we were all pissed.....nobody bothered you then about drinking. Happy days.  :)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 30, 2010, 11:54:40 am by Donnywolf »
idler wrote:
Happy days.

I was a B crewer too - originally in Office then I moved myself to become a Machine Operator.

I remember old Harry who used to bring his car in to sell Papers Magazines and Chocolate and from him I bought the 72/73 Cup Final Prog days before the game was played

Thats why I can date the Southport Match so easily too.

I did both the LFC games away as well as the 3 day week Replay game. I have said on here many times I think if Kitch had scored with that last minute shot in the Anfield draw instead of it hitting the bar it would be STILL the biggest cup shock ever. Top of Premiership with a full team (not like a second or third team squad these days) v 92nd in League

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 30, 2010, 01:33:08 pm by idler »
Old Harry was Harry Tomlinson, he was full back for the Rovers in their record breaking 40s side. Cec Irwin who used to be landlord of the Hatfield Chace was the other full back.
They were both very nice blokes. I used to wait anxiously for the green uns and the donny equivalent coming in if I was working a Saturday afternoon.
 I got a couple of runners-up trophies playing footy for B crew in the inter crew league.
We could never seem to beat the Harry Blunt inspired C crew team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012