Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:22:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Butler.............  (Read 2582 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Paul Butler.............
« on December 15, 2014, 06:32:01 pm by Draytonian III »
......I know he has been to uni and has a nice array of folders,and couple of tablets/ i pads ,but what does he do ? He seems to me the only one on the coaching staff Senior and Youth team who has not played at least semi professional football. If was removed and the more experienced people left in charge things would improve at home. Away form is fine and I keep winning a few quid on us

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Paul Butler.............
« Reply #1 on December 15, 2014, 07:11:13 pm by the vicar »
Lawrie McMenemy came to us from Bishpo Auckland where he took them from bottom to top of there league'  and  then we won the div 4 championship  he went to Grimsby and they won div 4 championship he went to Southampton and look what he did, he went on to Sunderland and did well with them  all he did was play for the cold-stream guards, Newcastle youth team, then Gateshead 

scotlandsbest

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 15, 2014, 07:15:24 pm by scotlandsbest »
and what has paul butler done with us and at Oldham ???? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MADE US WORSE END OF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 15, 2014, 07:17:51 pm by Draytonian III »
I know that,but he was the manager,not the coach. I was asking about Paul Butler. Manager,s manage and coaches coach.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 15, 2014, 08:00:55 pm by dickos1 »
I don't think what level they've played matters at all,

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 15, 2014, 08:05:23 pm by Draytonian III »
I think you can manage teams and have not played at a good standard,but to coach players you have to have a certain amount of ability yourself.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 15, 2014, 08:13:35 pm by bedale rover »
I think you can manage teams and have not played at a good standard,but to coach players you have to have a certain amount of ability yourself.
No you need the ability to analyse a game and how the players played and what they could do different and  communicate that information and assessment and possible remedies
Those skills apply to managers and coaches and can be taught and don't depend past experience
You only have to look at Bobby Charlton and Roy Keane to see good players but mediocre coaches

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 15, 2014, 08:15:56 pm by dickos1 »
Steve beaglehole has done alright for himself

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 15, 2014, 09:41:10 pm by DRFCSouth »
Its about whether they can earn the respect or not surely. Looking at Jose on the extreme, Wenger another. Seems to take time to earn such respect, as Jose did at Barca.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 16, 2014, 12:12:00 am by BobG »
Barca? Are you sure?

BobG

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 16, 2014, 12:43:21 am by RoversAlias »
Jose Mourinho was Bobby Robson's translator and right hand man at Barcelona in the 90's I believe, which may be what DRFCSouth is referring to.

I think there are enough top, top level managers who have never played close to professionally (like Mourinho, Scolari and Hodgson to name a few) to prove that Butler nor anyone else is automatically rubbish at their job for never having been a player.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 16, 2014, 12:50:58 am by BobG »
Ok. fair enough. I was thinking more as a manager as that is what the thread seemed to have developed into. So Porto sprang to mind. But yes. under that view, Barca would apply. Thanks :)

BobG

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 16, 2014, 07:46:30 am by Draytonian III »
Managers manage,coaches coach,there is difference, I'm talking about coaching the players,not getting the players in or doing the media work

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 16, 2014, 09:01:50 am by DonnyOsmond »
Most managers start off being coaches. The only ones which go straight into management are the ex players.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012