Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:08:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bullied all over the park  (Read 2597 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Bullied all over the park
« on September 08, 2021, 08:40:05 am by Filo »
It may have only been the Papa Johns, but that result hurt last night, it was men against boys and it showed, the midfield has no bite at all and leaves a poor defence exposed all the time, Rowe is not a LB, Williams looks like he’s handling a red hot ball of fire every time the ball comes to him, Horton is not ready yet, Bostock strolled around without doing anything of note apart from losing the ball, Close nice and neat but doesn’t like a tackle, Smith too lightweight looks well out of his depth. Jones looks to have regressed from last season. The front three I’ll reserve judgment on as it was their first game together, but they looked lively and show promise. Do we now look for a free agent CB to shore up the awful defence?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

colincramb

• Forum Member
Re: Bullied all over the park
« Reply #1 on September 08, 2021, 08:50:36 am by colincramb »
Somebody needs to dish out a serious bollocking to the coaching staff and team for last night. Unfortunately I have little faith anyone presently at the club has any substance to do that. It will be a case of ‘we are building, it was only the papa johns, rotherham are a good team, they had taller players than us, Covid, so it’s not our fault.

Same old excuses time after time during our free fall last year appear to be being dragged out already this season.

0-6 at home. It doesn’t bare thinking about

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 08, 2021, 08:51:15 am by DonnyOsmond »
We definitely need another CB. If Anderson and John are out for any length of time that leaves us with Williams and Blythe. Now Blythe has Covid so we're having to put a fullback in defence. We can't be doing that in the league so hopefully Wellens is looking in the next 3 days.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 08, 2021, 08:55:27 am by Filo »
We definitely need another CB. If Anderson and John are out for any length of time that leaves us with Williams and Blythe. Now Blythe has Covid so we're having to put a fullback in defence. We can't be doing that in the league so hopefully Wellens is looking in the next 3 days.

Up to now I’m unconvinced about Williams, looks like he shits himself everytime the ball comes to him

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 08, 2021, 09:12:48 am by Chris Black come back »
I’ve been saying this since last season. We don’t keep clean sheets and we don’t have a solid defensive unit. Still very early days but this group looks as weak as last season. We need defenders who can dominate. Tom I fear has not recovered still and Williams and John are not the dominant players we need. Knoyle looks good going forward but less solid defensively. Rowe ideally you would not want as a left back.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 08, 2021, 09:26:51 am by keyser_soze »
Does anyone think we would have lost 6-0 with Rob Jones in the defence? (or Richie in midfield for that matter)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 08, 2021, 09:42:02 am by Filo »
Does anyone think we would have lost 6-0 with Rob Jones in the defence? (or Richie in midfield for that matter)

Was Richie in midfield when Ipswich put 6 past us at the KM?

I don’t know the answer to that by the way

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 08, 2021, 09:46:56 am by DonnyOsmond »

Was Richie in midfield when Ipswich put 6 past us at the KM?

I don’t know the answer to that by the way

Nope. Season after?

Doncaster
33 Woods
02 O'Connor
03 Friend
06 Chambers (Thomas 46)
20 Mills
21 Hird
15 Wilson
16 Oster
22 Shiels (Burge 69)
26 Coppinger
30 Keegan
Substitutes
01 Sullivan, 05 Thomas, 23 Webster, 25 Guedes, 27 Kilgallon, 32 Burge, 36 Grayson

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 08, 2021, 09:47:26 am by sha66y »
We certainly need a physical midfielder who can not only break up play but a few ankles along the way….

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 08, 2021, 09:52:49 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just seen the highlights. They are big strong and powerful. It's a recipe they've been using for some time and it works for them.

To combat that, you have to be smarter and quicker and composed enough to take chances when they come. We're not there yet, that's obvious. Add the other weakness of the keeper low on confidence and Horton at CB then it's easy to see why it was men against boys.

What I also like about Rotherham is being prepared to shoot from distance, although we did give them time, and the way they exploit the wide areas and put good balls in to attack.

Yes, we are miles behind them and I fully expect they'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

We have to learn, grow as a team and find ways of beating the less physical teams.

In answer to the previous post, yes we still would have lost but maybe by a lesser margin. Anyway, it was a Mickey Mouse match and not one that effects the league where it matters.

There's no point bleating on about what we haven't got etc, RWs got to make the most of what we have got until he can delve into the market again.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 08, 2021, 10:07:01 am by silent majority »
I'm absolutely convinced that it was being used as a training game by us, the last thing we needed was more injuries.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 08, 2021, 10:30:05 am by The Beast »

No! there’s a certain level of resolution that some players have, professional and personal pride, conviction, sorts the men from the boys, leaders! That’s what we are missing.
Sounds cliche but believe it to be the case.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 08, 2021, 10:38:58 am by bpoolrover »
This is what worries me, ive heard many times about getting our identity back on the pitch, what does that mean? While sod was manger we played some outstanding football but in the last year we got bullied just like in every game this season, rather than be known for great passing football I'd rather be competitive, Rotherham won every header and tackle Got the ball out wide and ran at defenders for me that's what will get you out of this division not passing your way out of it

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 08, 2021, 10:42:46 am by sha66y »
I'm absolutely convinced that it was being used as a training game by us, the last thing we needed was more injuries.

That makes a lot of sense at this juncture, 3 forward players getting to know each other……that’s how a few saw it I imagine, but some just didn’t!
They are the ones still stood outside Woolworths waiting for it to open…..change is something that happens to others!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:02:28 am by sha66y »

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 08, 2021, 10:48:21 am by Bezza »
Daunting, if we used that as a training game then it was a disaster,and can you let me know if they plan on doing it again and I can stay at home

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 08, 2021, 11:09:57 am by sha66y »
Disaster…really?
Why do you think that, are you that shallow that you think the actual result was what was being looked at, and only the result?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:28:12 am by sha66y »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 08, 2021, 11:32:23 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Disaster…really?
Why do you think that, are you that shallow that you think the actual result was what was being looked at, and only the result?

Unless we were training on how to get beat it can't be called a success can it. Want a friendly for fitness book it behind closed doors. If fans are paying to watch a competitive fixture then give it respect or as Bezza said let everyone know so they can stay at home.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 08, 2021, 11:43:37 am by Bailey Vickerage »
I didn’t think Rowe put a foot wrong last night, played a great ball through to hiwula and whenever he picked the ball up he wanted to drive us forward, never did anything wrong defensively either. Yes he probs would’ve  made our midfield better last night but we’ve got Galbraith to go back in there probably alongside Close and Bostock and he doesn’t get in the front 3 ahead of  the likes of Hiwula, Vilca and Taylor. Personally I think he’s a good addition at LB.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 08, 2021, 11:49:23 am by colincramb »

Whilst I understand the injuries point of view SM, it just sounds like yet another excuse to hide the true deficiencies of this squad. It’s not right fans paid money to watch IF this was the intended approach.

You’ve also got to factor in that your just as likely, if not more likely to pick up injuries if you are only 50% committed. Sorry, but doesn’t wash with me that one

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 08, 2021, 11:49:47 am by Lifelong supporter »

We tend to look back with rose coloured glasses when it comes to some players.
True, Rob Jones never played in a side that had six knocked past them.
But he played in teams that conceded five on half a dozen occasions.
It happens.
By the way don't ask Richie what the score was when he played for Blackpool at Barnet many years ago.
To be fair he was only 20 at the time.
As for the game being used as a training exercise I wouldn't tell the fans who paid to watch thinking Rovers were treating it seriously and going all out to win.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 08, 2021, 11:52:35 am by Filo »
I didn’t think Rowe put a foot wrong last night, played a great ball through to hiwula and whenever he picked the ball up he wanted to drive us forward, never did anything wrong defensively either. Yes he probs would’ve  made our midfield better last night but we’ve got Galbraith to go back in there probably alongside Close and Bostock and he doesn’t get in the front 3 ahead of  the likes of Hiwula, Vilca and Taylor. Personally I think he’s a good addition at LB.

I suggest you watch the highlights, the first goal you could probably excuse, but he has no awareness of the interception and leaves himself well out of position, stupid pass by Seaman by the way, second goal guilty of ball watching rather than tracking the runner, sixth goal beaten at the front post by a header from behind him, he is no left back

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 08, 2021, 11:54:24 am by sha66y »
Disaster…really?

Unless we were training on how to get beat it can't be called a success can it. Want a friendly for fitness book it behind closed doors. If fans are paying to watch a competitive fixture then give it respect or as Bezza said let everyone know so they can stay at home.

Ok, seems as you take a little convincing I’ll give it a try!
RW should have gleaned that his front 3 plus Fej, might not be too shabby going forward!
RW now knows that we are seriously hampered defensively when injuries to key players happens…worryingly so!
RW now knows that Jones can’t command his area and dominate with a weakened back line…that’s important to know?
RW also knows that Jones needs to be playing a full season at a lower level to get his mojo back….
RW probably knows that in order to get to the “ non contact” part of our game going forward, he might need to rethink the need for a bigger physically imposing DM….

My opinion is that , RW forewarned of these failings and surprises ( front3) will be better equipped going forward, by knowing the probable outcome of his limitations

Please feel free to rip my ideas to pieces, afterall this is a forum for debating unpopular as well as popular ideas!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 08, 2021, 12:22:38 pm by roversdude »
Fair summary
I’ve been a big fan of Jones but he has regressed and needs to get his confidence back (somehow)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 08, 2021, 01:34:57 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

I suggest you watch the highlights, the first goal you could probably excuse, but he has no awareness of the interception and leaves himself well out of position, stupid pass by Seaman by the way, second goal guilty of ball watching rather than tracking the runner, sixth goal beaten at the front post by a header from behind him, he is no left back
I was at the game and have watched the highlights.

The first goal his not his fault at all, poor pass by seaman, not Rowes fault it didn’t make it to him and was never going to keep up with the winger when he’s going the opposite way to start with.

The 2nd goal, ladapo was hortons man, ran inbetween Horton and Rowe but was hortons man and Ladapo beat him and then beat Jones to the ball.

For the corner, height difference didn’t help but no matter where he was playing he would’ve lost the header, nothing to do with his position.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 08, 2021, 01:47:37 pm by Metalmicky »
Just seen the highlights and we did look disjointed - although given our injury list it is perhaps not surprising.  I also don't think we are particularly getting the rub of the green either - and that compounds the issue and is reflected in the result.  I think we will have more pain to come until we can get some of our players back into the fold.  I am not without hope that we can turn this around and I'm hopeful that with a fully fit squad we can start picking up results.... I am also not going to chuck the towel in with over 40 games of the season still to play.   

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 08, 2021, 03:36:56 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
We certainly need a physical midfielder who can not only break up play but a few ankles along the way….

last night a poster was calling for Greaves to come on and literally "break a few legs"

on checking the subs last night Greaves came  and only had 2 minutes to "do the deed" before Grigg quickly exited stage left . Rotherham had done their homework  !!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 08, 2021, 03:48:44 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Just seen the highlights and we did look disjointed - although given our injury list it is perhaps not surprising.  I also don't think we are particularly getting the rub of the green either - and that compounds the issue and is reflected in the result.  I think we will have more pain to come until we can get some of our players back into the fold.  I am not without hope that we can turn this around and I'm hopeful that with a fully fit squad we can start picking up results.... I am also not going to chuck the towel in with over 40 games of the season still to play.

for that third goal the chances of the first blokes shot ricocheting off the Rovers player and landing at the Rotherham players feet (he didnt have to move)  perfectly to hit first time alone must have been 100,000 to 1 and then it going in like that you have a goal in a million (and the rest) .

If you or me were on the pitch at that spot we could have scored that goal (and talked about it for the rest of our lives ) - that goal was so comically lucky, on top of the first fluke   - 3 goal in 3 minutes -- im upstairs has a lot to answer for

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 08, 2021, 04:10:36 pm by Metalmicky »
Although we lost 6:0 without a slice of luck, we still had more possession and more completed passes than Rotherham during the game.  I know that those stats don't reflect the hammering the scoreline shows, but it means that we were in the game........ even though the scoreline suggests otherwise.  He said - clinging desperately on to any glimmer of light..... :s

BessieBlue

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 08, 2021, 05:05:02 pm by BessieBlue »
Harking back to SM's comment above - I went to the game last night expecting it to be more of a training exercise in contrast to a blood and thunder battle.

Clearly Rotherham didn't subscribe to that expectation and they came out all guns blazing - playing with power, pace and menace. They were very direct - through the middle and down the flanks. Perhaps Rotherham having a big squad largely retained from their relegation from the championship by all accounts and with a couple of additions, have to be competitive at all levels - players are having to perform for their place in the matchday squad - Sadlier was typical of that - I thought he looked very dangerous and we all know he has end product when the opportunity presents itself.

I left the ground last night in a happy frame of mind - not!!

People in football talk a lot about balance and to me a balanced squad in essence is one that can defend effectively and create a threat at the top end of the pitch. There are other aspects to a balanced squad too but to my mind I haven't seen a balanced Rovers team in any of the competitive matches I have seen so far this season. Last night I was impressed by the home chances created - particularly in the first half - clearly none were converted but what I saw potentially represents progress. In my view the imbalance last night related to the defensive side of things. Clearly the centre half pairing, combined with an inexperienced keeper, was far from ideal - particularly in view of all those potential crosses likely to be delivered into the box. We also needed a bit more steel in the middle of the park - I don't believe either Smith, Bostock or Close are suited to the anchor role but from what I have seen Galbraith is the man - but of course he wasn't available last night!

At the moment other teams are taking advantage of the fact that we can't put out a balanced squad - but come the day I still have every expectation that things will improve.

The club have publicly set out their desire for the team to play entertaining football and all parties have declared this season is one of transition. There is no secret to this and whilst we have several loan players in the squad the club have recruited a core of what appear to be good players at this level.

The challenge in all of this is to get a key number of players fit and so far this season that hasn't happened. It's not a question of the Board lacking direction - that has been expressed very clearly. I don't think the budget is the issue - no one in the club has said that - but we are in transition and we need to get key bodies back to fitness and begin climbing the curve. Confidence is a big factor and too many people getting on the players backs when things don't go to plan is likely to have a negative impact.

If anything I would be interested to learn if we as a club are more affected by injuries than others and if we are then that would be a massive concern. Does anyone know if any data relevant to this consideration is available?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 08, 2021, 05:30:59 pm by steve@dcfd »

I was at the game and have watched the highlights.

The first goal his not his fault at all, poor pass by seaman, not Rowes fault it didn’t make it to him and was never going to keep up with the winger when he’s going the opposite way to start with.

The 2nd goal, ladapo was hortons man, ran inbetween Horton and Rowe but was hortons man and Ladapo beat him and then beat Jones to the ball.

For the corner, height difference didn’t help but no matter where he was playing he would’ve lost the header, nothing to do with his position.
Having watched the game and the highlights
1 poor pass by Seaman no footwork I.e. going backwards by Jones over his head from cross / shot
2 through ball past both defenders Jones was first to the ball and didn’t get should have, both hands  on the ball.
3 Midfield player not closed down shot post hit Jones back in net fluke but should been closed down.
4 Bostock should have won the ball very weak to allow through ball off the post Jones tried not near it rebound in net.
5 Corner this all our keepers nemesis don’t get to the ball at the near post defenders are not big enough either so goalkeeper should get there. Feet movement by keeper poor when balls in air.
6 exactly the same but from the other side defender not tall enough tried and ball in at near post. Feet movement by keeper poor when balls in air.
I would suggest the body language in the second half being four nil down was not good enough. Confidence.
If we had taken our chances perhaps our confidence would have been better.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:36:13 pm by steve@dcfd »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012