Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:32:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Elliot Ward  (Read 6051 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Elliot Ward
« on February 15, 2010, 04:18:22 pm by Filo »
Coventry centre half 1 months loan

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re:Elliot Ward
« Reply #1 on February 15, 2010, 04:21:31 pm by MrFrost »
Good good! Gives us some much needed cover.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 15, 2010, 04:30:33 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Not a bad player either.

He'll do for me!

You may remember Rigo that I wanted us to sign him in the January transfer window.  Good player and good cover.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 15, 2010, 04:35:29 pm by ctay »
Think he is cracking player, scores a few goals as well.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 15, 2010, 04:41:40 pm by Filo »
Is he match fit? his last game for Coventry was 17th October in a 2-0 defeat at, Hillsborough

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 15, 2010, 04:47:09 pm by mushRTID »
Is he the centre back who takes their penalties?

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 15, 2010, 04:50:42 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Pleased with that; another Championship quality centre half which has gone under the radar.

If he's half as good as Shacks I'm happy.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 15, 2010, 05:02:14 pm by wing commander »
They have been trying to offload him for a while,he is not rated by Coleman at all.Does anyone know if Cov have a reserve league as 4 appearance this season would highlight the old problem we used to have,where we would take unfit loanees and after the month they were just about fit just as they went back...
    Is Martis fit for the owls??? i am really hoping that SOD isnt thinking of playing Martis and Ward together for young Sam Hirds sake  and ours because if he did it would shatter hirds confidence..!!!

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 15, 2010, 05:06:31 pm by ctay »
Martis out as well. I thought Hird did well Saturday, but he does look low in confidence at the minute.

Ward does take penalties.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 15, 2010, 05:08:43 pm by TheRev »
wing commander wrote:
They have been trying to offload him for a while,he is not rated by Coleman at all.Does anyone know if Cov have a reserve league as 4 appearance this season would highlight the old problem we used to have,where we would take unfit loanees and after the month they were just about fit just as they went back...
    Is Martis fit for the owls??? i am really hoping that SOD isnt thinking of playing Martis and Ward together for young Sam Hirds sake  and ours because if he did it would shatter hirds confidence..!!!

Not wanting to start an agrument or anthing but why would it shatter his confidence? He's a professional footballer. Players get picked and they get dropped. It's part and parcel of the game.
I'm sure he's happy to be at his home town club and picking up a fairly substantial wage packet each month.

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 15, 2010, 05:12:33 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
wing commander wrote:

I thought Sam did well on Saturday, he's good on the deck, just because he's more slight than other Centre Backs, people don't think he's got the bottle. I wouldn't be worried if Sam started tomorrow night.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 15, 2010, 05:18:29 pm by Filo »
WSBBA_Ben wrote:
wing commander wrote:

I thought Sam did well on Saturday, he's good on the deck, just because he's more slight than other Centre Backs, people don't think he's got the bottle. I wouldn't be worried if Sam started tomorrow night.

Agreed, he did well against Adebola on Saturday, but in general he gets out jumped and bullied against big lumps, he`s a good player but he`s not big or physical enough to be a regular centre back in my opinion. I do think he would make a great sweeper though

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 15, 2010, 05:37:52 pm by DMnumber4 »
I'd love to see Hird as a defensive midfielder. Not the quickest or biggest but he's got a tackle and a decent pass in him. Would be perfect for away games I think.

Didn't he start as a midfielder with Leeds.

As for Ward, I think it's a great loan signing. Wouldn't mind if it was permanent either. Sort of Championship standard centre half we should be looking at.

Martis, Shackell, Ward, Hird with Chambers, Robbo and Jimmy as full backs!  :cheer:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 15, 2010, 08:43:03 pm by RoversAlias »
Good loan signing. He has plenty of experience at this level, hopefully he can slot in and play well tomorrow with Hird. Anyone know if he's tall? Would prefer it if he's more in the Shacks/Martis mould than Hird/JOC.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2010, 08:48:14 pm by Filo »
RoversAlias wrote:
Good loan signing. He has plenty of experience at this level, hopefully he can slot in and play well tomorrow with Hird. Anyone know if he's tall? Would prefer it if he's more in the Shacks/Martis mould than Hird/JOC.

6ft 1ins

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2010, 10:36:40 pm by donnievic »
Similiar to Locky

neilfinne

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 15, 2010, 10:50:58 pm by neilfinne »

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2010, 10:51:03 pm by JonWallsend »
Good signing. Another somewhat unexpected addition in that Coventry are trying to offload him as he is allegedly one of their top earners. Can only assume we are paying a proportion of the wages, similar to the Sharp deal.

Coventry will need to free up some money though as they've just taken Stead on loan (Jon, not Mickey)and I believe his wage demands aren't too shabby.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2010, 11:05:19 pm by Akinfenwa »
Cost Coventry £1,000,000 so he should be pretty good considering he's played over 100 games for them as well. Don't think he has much of a future there because he's fallen out with Coleman apparently and looked set for Saints in Jan but the transfer fell through for whatever reason. Coventry have signed Freddie Sears on loan as well as Stead so it's no surprise that they are looking to get him off the wage bill (albeit only for a month at least). Quite impressed with this signing especially with it being an emergency loan.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 16, 2010, 12:56:42 am by RoversAlias »
I asked a Coventry fan on another forum for his view on Ward:

Urm yeh he is a very good player really. Absolutely great if the team is play long balls forward as he rarely loses a header. Played against Blackburn in the cup last year and played against Samba for most of the 2nd half and coped with him easily. Added to that he is a great threat from corners and free kicks so he will chip in with a few goals, also a good penalty taker.

However, Coleman is not really a fan of him for 2 reasons. Firstly he tends to be laid back so if playing against 'lower' opposition or teams he thinks you should be beating he can make mistakes. He sometimes also thinks he is Rio Ferdinand and messes around with the ball too much therefore making the occasional high profile error. The other reason Coleman wants to get rid of him is because of his wage he is rumoured to be on 8 - 10k a week so we are trying to cut it down.

Should be a good signing for you though as he will sure up the defence especially as teams seem to hit it in the air against you because you like to play football on the ground a lot.

So, sounds promising, and the wages thing appears to be true.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012