Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 08:17:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Small world  (Read 7128 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Small world
« on May 26, 2013, 10:36:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Just got back from a week in the States with work.

Thursday, I was in the hotel bar, when this big Yank heard my accent and asked me where in UK I lived. I told him Sheffield, at which he says, "So are you a WednesDay or Utd fan then?"

"Neither" says I. "I'm from a small town near Sheffield and I support them. You probably won't have heard of them."

"Try me" he says.

"Doncaster Rovers" says I.

He did the face palm thing and shouted, "Jesus Christ! I'm a Brentford fan. I was at Griffin Park that day."

Turns out a couple of his business associates in London are Brentford fans. Took him to a game 10 years back and he got hooked. He flew in from the States for the match the other week. I ends up buying him a beer to commiserate.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
Re: Small world
« Reply #1 on May 26, 2013, 10:40:55 am by Sheepskin Stu »
Ok, thanks.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 26, 2013, 10:53:51 am by Superspy »
Haha, nice one BST. I had a similar experience at work recently although I wasn't half way around the world, I was about 3 or 400 yards from the Keepmoat.

One of the big bosses in our organisation (4/5 grades above me at least) came in to address everybody about the uncertainty of our jobs, redundancies etc. He gets everyone in the boardroom and starts with "Before we get onto the work stuff, are there any Doncaster fans in here". I made myself know. He says "I'm a Brentford fan, I was there the other week, it was awful". I said "I was there too, it was amazing!". Apparently his 6 year old had turned to him during the match and said "Daddy do these people from the north always make so much noise?" :D

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 26, 2013, 11:02:34 am by adge »
seems that you have volunteered for redundancy there :

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 26, 2013, 11:57:05 am by Superspy »
I did think that at the time, but fortunately he was coming to tell us all that the outsourcing idea has fallen through and we're all safe!

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 26, 2013, 05:05:21 pm by newyankee »

Like me last year at Chocolate Fest in Wisconsin. The chap on the next booth to me was from Senegal, we spoke about football and he reeled off a list of names he knew. Diouf, Silva ( the keeper who trained with us, the other keeper who played for New York               ( international), he shared an appartment with him. He also named several others at English clubs.   We had a great conversation.

It just shows how small the world is getting.

A similay situation was at a show a couple of years ago , when I was taalking to another booth holder. He noticed my accent and asked where I was from.

I said Doncaster but had lived for several years in the Halifax area. Oh. he said, my cousin married someone from Manchester, she is a nurse and he was a teacher.

Without knowing any names, I said no, she married a Yorkshireman. I then gave the pair's names and was spot on. It turned out that his cousin and her husband were friends of mine back in Halifax.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 26, 2013, 06:01:29 pm by graingrover »
Once in Corsica .. a guy asked where I was from I told him the town ( in France ) .. OK what part .. told him .. what street ... told him .. what number ... told him ... ok I don't know it !!!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 27, 2013, 12:25:35 am by Chris Black come back »
Knew a girl in sixth form who slept with our then keeper Gary O'Connor on holiday.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 27, 2013, 01:29:10 am by Scooter »
I used to go out with Dennis Peacock's daughter...although I was 8 at the time!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 27, 2013, 01:31:31 am by mushRTID »
I once spotted a rovers beach towell in benidorm.

Does that qualify?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 27, 2013, 01:39:55 pm by Filo »

Does that qualify?

That might have been me :-)

The_Rooky

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 27, 2013, 02:28:47 pm by The_Rooky »

Does that qualify?

That might have been me :-)

....what? You used to be a beachtowel? :o)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 27, 2013, 03:06:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »
About 10 years ago we were on holiday in Italy staying in an Agriturismo (farm converted into about 10 appartments) and chatting to one of the other families we found out they were from Donny.  They were from a street which I used to visit a lot - one of my best schoolmates used to live there - we are talking about 40 years ago. I then told them the housenumber and they now live in the very same house and bought it directly from my schoolfriend's parents about 20 years ago.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 28, 2013, 12:37:02 pm by BobG »
As a lad I once damaged myself quite badly while staying at a mates place in Burton on Trent. My M&D were on holiday in Cornwall at the time. Mother of friend wanted to get hold of my Ma and Pa so, as they were out on the beach, the friendly natives sent someone to run up and down the beach shouting their name saying 'urgent message!' My M&D didn't hear this messenger, but good God above, Mick Cowan was on the self same beach. He knew my Dad very well, and me quite well. He heard the message and went on the prowl for my parents. He spotted them, and after the amazed 'What the devil are you doing here' stuff passed on the message., Dad did whatever he had to do about me, and then him and Mick spent the rest of the week in the pub boozing and reminiscing....

Cheers

BobG

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 28, 2013, 12:45:38 pm by IDM »
My sister went to school with Terry Curran's daughter - does that count?

Keith Myath

« Reply #15 on May 28, 2013, 01:10:09 pm by Keith Myath »
I was in Vegas in 2000, me and a mate booked a trip in a Cesna by-plane to the grand Canyon, anyway we get there and was in a plane with another family and the pilot (of course). A few minutes into a very bumpy flight, there little boy mentioned he felt sick as did i. His Dad spoke and i looked across and recognised his face. He was in the year below me at school and grew up just up on our street. Both couldn't believe it, and to top that after landing and following on the conversation the pilot from San Diego said he was married to a woman from Doncaster and even got married there when he was based in the UK with the USAF, his wife was from Thorne.

Unbelievable!

Sadly this was the most amazing thing about that little trip, as the Grand Canyon is hardly a visitor attraction, (walk from plane, stand at the edge, look down, ooohhhhh, get fleeced by the indigenous with Ornaments fashioned from Bat Shit, return to plane).

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 28, 2013, 01:26:49 pm by BobG »
During the summer hols while at Uni I once spent a very pleasant evening gambling, with someone elses money, in Reno. Eventually, at about 2 in the morning, I ended up at Reno Greyhound bus station (actually it was Continental Trailways buses I was using in those days) ready for the next kip on a bus to nowhere in particular. As I walked through the doors, who should I see but this bloody gorgeous girl from my seminar group at Uni. She was a cracker she was. Joanna her name was. 2 in the morning in a bus station in Reno and about 5,000 miles from home. Who would believe it?

BobG
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:30:47 pm by BobG »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 28, 2013, 02:22:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bob

And? And? Did you two ...err... study together? Eh? Eh? Know what I mean?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 28, 2013, 10:26:27 pm by BobG »
Unfortunately not Billy. I would have quite liked to though... I did suggest a motel room for the night but she turned me down :(

If you ever come across Joanna Slonecka, you might suggest she could make up now for what she missed out on then? As she's in New York these days you might come across her...

Cheers

BobG
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:30:36 pm by BobG »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 29, 2013, 01:37:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Bob.

I think you've got the wrong impression of me and my globetrotting. I've been to New York once. Ten years ago. I was in an internet cafe in Times Square when I found out that we had signed McIndoe, a couple of days before flying back to London for the match at Orient.

Since (and before) then., I've spent more time in New Rossington than New York.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 29, 2013, 10:17:23 am by acacia94 »
I'm off to LA and San Francisco at the end of next week and will want my money back if I don't bump into Adriano Rigoglioso and Dino Maamria.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 29, 2013, 10:51:00 pm by BobG »
It's alright Billy. I was just being ironic. I think.

It's a shit town anyway.

BobG

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 30, 2013, 02:40:43 am by les@donr »
I live in Moncton, NB, Canada. I wear my Rovers scarf when its a bit nippy -20! People are very curious to ask about my scarf and who is my team, I explain Donny Rovers, and in which league etc. One psychologist I know have vouched to follow Rovers, just because he likes the name. I might have to start a Rovers fan club over here :scarf:

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 30, 2013, 09:08:50 am by the dons »
I went to school at the same time as Kevin Keegan.

9. o`clock. :coat:

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 30, 2013, 11:43:36 am by Jimmydee »
You would have been late at 9am, Keegan and the rest of the school started at 08.50am.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 31, 2013, 03:36:30 pm by swintonrover »
Remember going to Fleetwood a few years ago, before they were big time (they were Conf. North I think). Crowd must have been about 50. There was a bloke in a Rovers shirt there.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 31, 2013, 06:24:58 pm by Rovers Return »
Small World:

About '92' Had a phone call on a Wednesday. Could I get a guy to Hong Kong to do some work for Disney? Go myself I says. Jumped on a plane on the Friday with only the site address and the promise that the Contract Director would turn up on site to meet me. Sure enough in walks this guy and starts talking to me with a very similar accent. Where you from? he asks. " Donny" I says. I'm from Leeds he says but our lass is from Donny. I met her while constructing the B@Q in Donny, she worked at the pub over the road. Fancy a pint?

Off we goes for a pint and he tells me she was a barmaid at night but a theatre nurse at DRI during the day. So's my Mum I say.

Next day he walked in and said that his wife knew my mother really well and had worked together for years. That was the beginning of a short and beautiful, but drunken relationship. He was the Contract Director for Asia including Australia and any little jobs he could send my way he did. Alas he operated out of Hong Kong and the Chinese put a stop to anybody working there that couldn't be replaced by a Chinese operative.

:(

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 04, 2013, 04:28:36 pm by moses »
Went on holiday to Mallorca, hear some chap talking to his son about the goalkeeper on the table football being Neil Sullivan.
Turns out its only JonWallsend off t'forum like.
Much poolside transfer speculation was had by all.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 04, 2013, 10:58:35 pm by BobG »
I once got on an early morning Alitalia flight to Rome. The guy in the seat in front was Martin O'Neill. Looked pretty rumpled he did too.

Cheers

BobG

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 04, 2013, 11:10:53 pm by JonWallsend »
Went on holiday to Mallorca, hear some chap talking to his son about the goalkeeper on the table football being Neil Sullivan.
Turns out its only JonWallsend off t'forum like.
Much poolside transfer speculation was had by all.

Happy days, Moses. Menoraca this year if you haven't yet booked.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012