Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:34:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Of those out of contract this summer who is the most important to keep

Molyneux
12 (9.5%)
Westbrooke
71 (56.3%)
Close
14 (11.1%)
Maxwell
29 (23%)
Biggins/Hurst
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: February 14, 2024, 08:24:04 pm

Author Topic: Renewals  (Read 2482 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Renewals
« on February 09, 2024, 08:24:04 pm by Branton Rover »
I like Westbrooke like most I would imagine, so if he gets fit and has a decent run in. He’d be first into my office for contract extension negotiations.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Renewals
« Reply #1 on February 09, 2024, 08:29:17 pm by idler »
Luke said in his interview today that there were no options to extend when his contract runs out in June and the club hadn’t approached him about a new one yet.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 09, 2024, 09:05:04 pm by Branton Rover »
Molyneux’s interview inspired the thread, it got me thinking about what we would do if we were in charge.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 09, 2024, 09:35:11 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Westbrook and Maxwell are the must keeps in my eyes, close although I like him, think we could do with a more forceful midfielder to toughen the midfield up to get us out of this league.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 09, 2024, 10:07:24 pm by ncRover »
Molyneux only has 1 assist from open play situations this season.

If he fails to score v Tranmere, his league goal scoring record for us will be 1 in 12.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2024, 10:20:56 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Hurst but only because there’s a possibility in him improving and we get a fee for him otherwise none of them have been good enough

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 09, 2024, 10:27:41 pm by Nudga »
I really like Molly but the stats don't lie.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 09, 2024, 10:59:45 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Need an option for none of the above, Hurst has another year so no need to worry about him

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 09, 2024, 11:23:55 pm by Thorney »
I went for maxwell. Was really impressive before his injury and we have missed him when not available.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 09, 2024, 11:27:24 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Pretty much the order of the list. Top 3 are a must, Close seems to be the most injury prone of the 3. Keep them 3 fit and add the right 3-4 players to the first team and we can get top 7. Maxwell after that then maybe Hurst.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 11:38:44 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 10, 2024, 04:53:19 am by Move DRFC »
I’ve thought Maxwell is our best footballer for a while now. Just can’t seem to cement his place in the team for whatever reason.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 10, 2024, 07:24:34 am by Reg of the Rovers »
Westbrooke for me. Not fair grouping Hurst and Biggins, as Hurst is an asset with loads of potential, whereas Biggins I’d be happy to give him a lift to his next club.

Need a huge clear out in the summer to stop the rot that has set in.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 10, 2024, 09:33:26 am by Michael Shaw »
By my reckoning McCann signed about 18 players and that's only stopped the rot so far. I think we need another huge clear out in the summer if we want to progress. I won't vote for any of them. I will be happy seeing 18 new players in the line-up for the first game next season. They have all contributed to where we are now.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 10, 2024, 11:00:51 am by drfcsteve »
The big question for me is which of them can remain fit, no point giving extensions to players who won’t play again next season through injury.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 10, 2024, 11:13:06 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Not overly fussed about keeping any of them. All nice players on their day but that doesn’t happen enough.

I wouldn’t mind keeping Hurst and Maxwell as with a run of games they could be better players than our current level. Westbrooke was good this season too when playing.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 10, 2024, 11:28:00 am by steve@dcfd »
Molyneux has played 34 games had 5 assists and scored 2 goals. He’s a skilful player but a wasteful player aswell. He might get a contract he might believe he will get a better club but his stats show he may not be good enough to do that. Do we take a risk that he will give more goals and assists for me we could have better. As I’ve said on another thread if we stay in this league big decisions to be made to improve us

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 10, 2024, 12:02:09 pm by NickDRFC »
I think with Moly it depends entirely on what he’s asking for. Whenever I’ve seen us, we look a much better and more creative side when he’s playing, but that lack of end product means he shouldn’t be a top earner or definitive starter. There are many, many players I’d get rid of before him but if he’s on a top wedge then I think we can do better.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 10, 2024, 12:52:04 pm by mushRTID »
I said a while back if we are to challenge at the top, Moly would only be a bench player.

Problem is you need players to come off the bench and win games. The stats don’t lie he isn’t a match winner.

I’d let him go, I bet he’s on a decent wage.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 10, 2024, 02:16:18 pm by BigKeif »
Part of me says Hurst and Maxwell but given all these players have been a part of this shit show, I’d say release the lot! I really feel we need a proper clear out and some investment to back it up!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 10, 2024, 03:05:25 pm by Jonathan »
For a player in Molyneux’s role I’ve always felt chances created would be a better statistical measure than assists. No idea if that would make his output appear more positive.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 10, 2024, 03:10:53 pm by scawsby steve »
By my reckoning McCann signed about 18 players and that's only stopped the rot so far. I think we need another huge clear out in the summer if we want to progress. I won't vote for any of them. I will be happy seeing 18 new players in the line-up for the first game next season. They have all contributed to where we are now.

It's not stopped the rot, Michael. We've gone from 18th to 22nd. How more attractive or entertaining the football is now is purely subjective.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 10, 2024, 04:00:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »
For a player in Molyneux’s role I’ve always felt chances created would be a better statistical measure than assists. No idea if that would make his output appear more positive.

Most key passes in the squad per 90.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 10, 2024, 05:36:58 pm by mushRTID »
Thought Moly was very wasteful again today, so frustrating he gets into some unbelievable positions.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 10, 2024, 06:20:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Totally agree. He wasn't alone making the ball look like a wet bar of soap. Yes, a bobbly pitch too but still wasted good possession and the times he tried to cross the ball, it was woeful. He seemed to keep looking at the bench for approval but he wasn't getting much back.

He should be, and can be, more decisive but today, he was well off it.

The way Biggins started today, it looked like he'd had 3 pints in the bar before coming on. That first Crossford move when all he had to do was lay a short pass into Hursts? path, but no he dithered, lost control and fell over. Bearing in mind, he'd been on the pitch for about 5 mins, he was called over to the touchline and was handed a note, which he duly dropped, tried to pick up, missed it and nearly fell over again. It was comical. The best thing he did was take the ball towards the corner in injury time yo wind down the clock.

Westbrook, Maxwell and Hurst for me. I like Close but probs time for him to move on, and I wouldn't lose any sleep if Moly moved on too. He's a busy player and generally wants to make things happen but the end product is just too elusive.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 10, 2024, 06:53:39 pm by Upton Rover »
As of today I wouldn’t keep any of them, see how the rest of the season goes before any thoughts of renewals

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 11, 2024, 08:41:18 am by Chris Black come back »
Reminder of those in the squad who are out of contract this summer:

Faulkner
Close
Wood
Bottomley
Maxwell
Biggins
Taylor
Rowe
Molyneux
Lavery
Westbrooke
Degruchy
Kuleya

Westbrooke, Faulkner and Maxwell you would definitely offer terms, perhaps Wood, Close, Molyneux and Bottomley.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 11, 2024, 09:56:04 am by Arsenal Of The North »
Reminder of those in the squad who are out of contract this summer:

Faulkner
Close
Wood
Bottomley
Maxwell
Biggins
Taylor
Rowe
Molyneux
Lavery
Westbrooke
Degruchy
Kuleya

Westbrooke, Faulkner and Maxwell you would definitely offer terms, perhaps Wood, Close, Molyneux and Bottomley.

Sure McCann said at MTO 6 out of contract players in the summer we have options on, I would imagine most are the young players.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 11, 2024, 10:13:38 am by GazLaz »
The issue will be that once a large number of these players realise they won’t be here next season they will ease off. Having said that, most of them are out injured anyway.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 11, 2024, 10:31:16 am by Michael Shaw »

It's not stopped the rot, Michael. We've gone from 18th to 22nd. How more attractive or entertaining the football is now is purely subjective.

Scawsby, following the trend of the last 3 years we should be going down this season. When I say "stop the rot" it is because I think we will now stay up. That's the best I can say about Rovers based on the trend where we have been every 6 months for the last 3 years.

2020-21 L1 after 23 games 3rd
2020-21 L1 after 46 games 14th
2021-22 L1 after 23 games 24th
2021-22 L1 after 46 games 23rd
2022-23 L2 after 23 games 12th
2022-23 L2 after 46 games 18th
2023-24 L2 after 23 games 20th

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:49:22 am by Michael Shaw »

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 11, 2024, 02:48:27 pm by Cramby10 »
If you look at the squad that took the field yesterday I believe 9 out of the 14 could and should not be here next season. Whether out of contract, on loan or not part of Mccanns plans.
No out of contract player that played yesterday should have theirs renewed. The loans will go back. Unlikely, I think, apart from the keeper that we’ll pursue them further. And Anderson, who McCann said he’s not in the plans, may be moved on. I’d like to think Olowu fits into this scenario too.
Big rebuild once again is required in the summer. This will be the defining one for McCann. No excuses from there on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012