Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:48:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bid accepted (Ben Whiteman)  (Read 13574 times)

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
Re: Bid accepted (Ben Whiteman)
« Reply #30 on January 13, 2021, 10:49:06 am by Lifelong supporter »
That 'useless' manager Fergie didn't do bad for the club financially did he signing Marquis and Whiteman?
Not to mention Anderson etc...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 13, 2021, 10:51:45 am by BradwellRover »
If you were offered substantially higher wages to go to a bigger company with more resources and prestige what would you do?

If you did move, should that diminish your achievements and hard work at the previous employer?

Ben has been a great player for DRFC never giving less than his best. This is a great opportunity for him in what is a short career, so I wish him all the best.

The fact that we’ll get a decent amount of money in to hopefully see us through this awful period of uncertainty is a bonus.

Plus I trust DM to find a decent replacement.

So, for me it’s disappointing to lose some one of his talent, but it’s the reality of the situation.

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 13, 2021, 10:54:03 am by rover-n-out »
Like most of us on here, I thank Ben for his time with us here, his professionalism, his great performances, and can only wish him and his family all the best wishes in the world for the next move in his career. Good luck Ben, and thank you.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 13, 2021, 10:54:17 am by BradwellRover »
That 'useless' manager Fergie didn't do bad for the club financially did he signing Marquis and Whiteman?

Could spot a player, but a terrible man manager with some. Dodgy tactician and a bottler as well.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 13, 2021, 10:54:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Martin, I think most people can endorse Ben’s move and fully understand his wishes to be much nearer home. (Nobody knows that better than me, during my working life, I can assure you). I can only speak for myself here, I just can’t get over the timing of it and the disruption it will possibly cause to the squad as a whole. Here we are, in 4th place in the league with games in hand that could take us top, and we have this absolute bombshell. I feel for DM, I really do.

Yes, we may have contingencies in place, (and why wouldn’t we?) but we seem to be underestimating what the potential impact is going to have on us, going forward. I sincerely hope there’s better news around the corner because this turn of events is very, very disappointing.

I understand your angst Alan, I really do, but this will not be a shock or a blow to DM. He's been well aware of this for sometime and he knows we have to take the rough with the smooth.

Only this time last year you were saying DM could walk if he doesn't get backed by the board as time was passing through the window. Yet all the time DM was waiting for his targets to become available (or not) before implementing plan A or B etc. DM is a major player in deciding which way he wants to go so he's not so much a victim feeling hard done by as you might think he is.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 13, 2021, 10:57:14 am by northern soul »
My understanding is that Adam Henshall has a considerable list of replacements, and rather than expecting one big name player we may be looking at a couple of players to bolster the squad.

This shouldn't be missed. In the current situation, with games backed up, and a congested fixture list to start off with, plus 5 (I think) more games for us to win the FA cup, the ability to put fit decent quality players on the pitch is a good starting point.
It's becoming a war of attrition and the more options you can trust the better.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:59:26 am by northern soul »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 13, 2021, 10:58:19 am by RugbyRover »
Thank you Darren for signing some stellar players on permanent contracts.

We have now sold a couple for a reported 4.5 million quid.

Lord knows where we would be without that cash.

Thanks again  :thumbsup:

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 13, 2021, 11:06:13 am by foxbat »
giid point,  credit where credit's due.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 13, 2021, 11:25:53 am by vaya »
My understanding is that Adam Henshall has a considerable list of replacements, and rather than expecting one big name player we may be looking at a couple of players to bolster the squad.

This shouldn't be missed. In the current situation, with games backed up, and a congested fixture list to start off with, plus 5 (I think) more games for us to win the FA cup, the ability to put fit decent quality players on the pitch is a good starting point.

Agree with that, also as we've seen DM favours a fair degree of squad rotation and adapting the line up to the opposition. Multiple signings would fit into this.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 13, 2021, 11:32:52 am by selby »
  BradwellRover, nobody has said he was useless at spotting a player, just the way he used them, as has been highlighted by the way the next two managers have used them in much more exciting teams to watch.
  His teams matched his personality boring with a nasty side.

VikingRich

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 13, 2021, 11:34:49 am by VikingRich »
If the price is roughly £2m, that isn't a bad price in this market. The figures above were in better financial times.....

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 13, 2021, 11:48:10 am by PDX_Rover »
Excited to see who comes in.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 13, 2021, 11:58:19 am by Campsall rover »
Never doubted DF’s recruitment. As you say he brought some good players to the club.
His problem was moulding them into a cohesive unit and a developing a way of playing that both suited the players at his disposal and one that the players were comfortable in playing. Plus his man management skills or should i say the lack of it.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 13, 2021, 12:17:27 pm by wing commander »
Going back to Ben if he has just made it clear that he wants to go to Preston and it was DM decision not to put him in the squad saturday then i thank him, and wish him the best for the future.

However if it turns out he made it clear that he wanted to go to Preston and he refused to be included in the squad and downed tools then the sooner he gets down the motorway the better and we can forget him..

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 13, 2021, 12:25:39 pm by POD »
Excited to see who comes in.

Don’t forget that Madger Gomes is close to a comeback and expected to be in contention for a first team place in the next 2 weeks (DFP).  Not a like for like by any means, but he showed himself to be very capable as a holding midfielder earlier in the season. 

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 13, 2021, 12:31:52 pm by Draytonian III »
With Ben leaving, and very good luck to him, we will most likely replace him in the long term with a permanent signing and if this player comes from a league 1 or 2 team he will have most likely have been a regular 1st team player, so we will be on the other side of the coin.
 It’s the nature of the beast, it’s been going on for over a hundred years and will never stop

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 13, 2021, 12:43:51 pm by Chris the Rover »
I don’t recall all these good wishes being offered to McCann when he did the self same thing as Whiteman has done. As far as I’m concerned they are both tarred with the same brush.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 13, 2021, 12:46:34 pm by RugbyRover »
  BradwellRover, nobody has said he was useless at spotting a player, just the way he used them, as has been highlighted by the way the next two managers have used them in much more exciting teams to watch.

I don't know too much about Fergie to be able comment about his "nasty" side but I never felt he was boring. I used to look forward to his interviews and I loved his passion and the way he talked. Compare that to Darren Moore and his interviews are the most boring I've ever witnessed, cliché after cliché, almost "Trotteresqe". I don't bother listening anymore.

Also point me in the direction of the last game we were exciting to watch. Last couple of months we have been turgid, and that's putting it kindly.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 13, 2021, 01:02:20 pm by godlike1 »

Agree with that, also as we've seen DM favours a fair degree of squad rotation and adapting the line up to the opposition. Multiple signings would fit into this.

I'm torn tbh on that front. If the player is fit and quality he plays them aka BW. How many times was he dropped or subbed even when not playing that well?

If he wasn't leaving no one else would have been coming in.

Squad rotation and strength in depth defence have benefits i completely agree but if this route is taken will it water down how good the player considered is?

If that's what is decided then I thinks A loan plus perm? Total guess and not sure what the right answer is

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 13, 2021, 01:03:10 pm by JonWallsend »
Need to be careful with the refusing to play rumours. I well remember being in the ground and it was widely accepted that Billy had fallen out with Saunders and was refusing to play. We all know with hindsight the tragic reality of that situation.
Whether he did or didn't is immaterial to me. Been a great player for us and as they tend to do has moved on to better himself. He's not the first, won't be the last. He isn't the best we've lost and more importantly, unlike in years previously, we are in a position to replace him
Good luck to the lad. We move on and will be fine

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 13, 2021, 01:09:55 pm by Draytonian III »
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Totally agree

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 13, 2021, 01:14:57 pm by thumper »
I don’t recall all these good wishes being offered to McCann when he did the self same thing as Whiteman has done. As far as I’m concerned they are both tarred with the same brush.

I'm not sure the two scenarios can be easily compared, Whiteman on the outside seems to have been very professional over the last two or three windows, knuckled down and got on with his job despite the interest.......until now and the unconfirmed rumours of refusing to play. (Doesn't seem likely - my guess is Moore managed the situation by not selecting him as he wasn't 100% focused, my guess though)

McCann preached loyalty then jumped ship at the drop of a hat

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 13, 2021, 01:41:57 pm by selby »
  Rugbyrover looks like Peterborough are the side for you then nearer as well

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 13, 2021, 02:10:39 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Need to be careful with the refusing to play rumours. I well remember being in the ground and it was widely accepted that Billy had fallen out with Saunders and was refusing to play. We all know with hindsight the tragic reality of that situation.
Whether he did or didn't is immaterial to me. Been a great player for us and as they tend to do has moved on to better himself. He's not the first, won't be the last. He isn't the best we've lost and more importantly, unlike in years previously, we are in a position to replace him
:that: 100%

And on the point about replacing Ben 'Like for Like' or of equal quality, calibre or whatever other terms are being used, as Martin has pointed out Adam Henshall is the man responsible for talent spotting. He will likely be working to build the jigsaw with players that fit the Manager's pattern of play.  We could well find we get an entirely different type to Ben but who actually improves us.

Put it this way, if we could choose from a Richie Wellens, Brian Stock or Ben Whiteman (each at their best) I suspect BW would be most people's third choice.  Quite honestly I see this as an opportunity to improve.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 13, 2021, 03:29:46 pm by turnbull for england »

Don't you be coming on here spreading a positive well balanced opinion , there's no place for that here

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 13, 2021, 03:40:48 pm by BradwellRover »

Think you responded to me in error...I was saying the same thing as you?!!!

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 13, 2021, 03:42:55 pm by RugbyRover »
  Rugbyrover looks like Peterborough are the side for you then nearer as well

Nah, not for me.

Lets see how Cov City shape up eh?  ;)

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 13, 2021, 03:51:21 pm by BradwellRover »
I think this is exactly the model we should be following, buying good young talent, developing them and then selling on for a profit.  It’s the only route to true sustainability (as far as I can see) for DRFC; and the one Barnsley have used very successfully over recent years. 

Even if we got to the Championship (highest reasonable level for us?) it’s almost impossible to survive there without selling players, racking up huge debt and/or having an investor.

Let’s hope DM brings in another one or two with the proceeds and the balance (after Sheff U’s cut) can support COVID related losses.  I’m pretty optimistic.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:56:01 pm by BradwellRover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 13, 2021, 04:22:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I'm not sure the two scenarios can be easily compared, Whiteman on the outside seems to have been very professional over the last two or three windows, knuckled down and got on with his job despite the interest.......until now and the unconfirmed rumours of refusing to play. (Doesn't seem likely - my guess is Moore managed the situation by not selecting him as he wasn't 100% focused, my guess though)

And Whiteman voluntarily signed a new 3 year deal which has given the club a lot more clout when negotiating any transfer for him.  For most/possibly all of his time here Whiteman's been a model professional.

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 13, 2021, 04:32:01 pm by thumper »

And Whiteman voluntarily signed a new 3 year deal which has given the club a lot more clout when negotiating any transfer for him.  For most/possibly all of his time here Whiteman's been a model professional.

Exactly, 100% agree, it'd could've been a lot worse for us, he's helped us by signing that contract to not lose him for nothing (will have obviously benefited from a pay rise in that too). Gutted to lose him but cannot really fault how he's been with the interest, from what I've seen on the outside anyway.

Let's hope we add a sell on as can seen him going for decent money on his next move.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012