Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 07:36:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Budget cuts  (Read 1859 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Budget cuts
« on June 23, 2020, 10:16:46 am by phil old leake »
This will be very similar throughout football or at least in the lower divisions
In some way this could be a really good thing for football
If clubs are not going to be spending cash willy nilly and having to rely on their development squads more it may show who the really good top coaches (not big names) good coaches are
The ones that can coach and develop young talent and build a team instead of just buying
Hopefully it will allow good coaches to prove their worth

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Budget cuts
« Reply #1 on June 23, 2020, 10:19:26 am by DonnyOsmond »
Doesn't seem to be affecting the top level too much. Some clubs still splashing £50M+ on a player.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 23, 2020, 01:30:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
Chelsea an outlier I would suspect as they have been locked out of transfer market for last year or so. Lot of unspent cash for them.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 23, 2020, 01:48:25 pm by dknward2 »
In our league most clubs will really struggle Donny included, and most things will get cut at other clubs expecting things like stands closed and grounds and pitches maintained to a lower standard.

Only clubs I expect to do ok is the clubs that come down and Peterborough if they Toney which they are thinking they will get between 10 and 15 million for him yes maybe pre covid but now I expect 8 million at most

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 23, 2020, 03:31:18 pm by selby »
  If Tony has any sense he will not go anywhere this season, and wait to be a free agent, and he might end up with a couple of million in his own arse pocket instead of the chairman's at Peterborough.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 23, 2020, 03:42:33 pm by EasyforDennis »
In our league most clubs will really struggle Donny included, and most things will get cut at other clubs expecting things like stands closed and grounds and pitches maintained to a lower standard.

Only clubs I expect to do ok is the clubs that come down and Peterborough if they Toney which they are thinking they will get between 10 and 15 million for him yes maybe pre covid but now I expect 8 million at most

If Peterborough get anything remotely close to £8M for Toney then I would be questioning our negotiating skills when it comes to selling players. Is Toney that much better than John Marquis was when we sold him to Portsmouth?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 23, 2020, 04:29:31 pm by phil old leake »
My main point was I am hoping that coaches will be coaching to improve players and hopefully bringing them through
It could be a great time for the likes of SOD

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 23, 2020, 04:29:55 pm by Padge_DRFC »
He is better but not 5 times better!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 23, 2020, 05:49:29 pm by dknward2 »
The fact that he is younger is the main point and apparently a few top end championship clubs have asked about him also the fact that they sold Jack Marriott for 5 million and Toney is far better is the reason why they are thinking 8 million.

My personal opinion is they will get 5 at most but if a bidding war starts then it will quickly rise. He could get picked up by one of the relegated premiership teams with their parachute payments would be a drop in the ocean for them.

Personally for drfc hopefully we won’t have to sell anyone which I doubt we will but if someone comes along with a huge offer then I’m sure the board will speak to DM and the player to get the best for the club.

I’m gonna guess that we will only go for free players and youth signings plus a group of season long loans for the next season whenever that maybe

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 23, 2020, 06:14:30 pm by IDM »
  If Tony has any sense he will not go anywhere this season, and wait to be a free agent, and he might end up with a couple of million in his own arse pocket instead of the chairman's at Peterborough.

Why wait to increase your wage by several times.?

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 23, 2020, 06:33:27 pm by Rovers91 »
Peterborough have got that Jade-Jones who premiership clubs meant to be tracking as well. They could end up with some serious money this summer.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 23, 2020, 06:42:43 pm by Draytonian III »
The Peterborough chairman thrives on the publicity of the football club until our own, I know which one I prefer, the Posh will come unstuck soon because if they don’t get the big money for Toney they won’t be able to mount a serious challenge for promotion next season. Maddison run his contract down so he’s a free so if Toney does it they will be in the mire

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 23, 2020, 06:50:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's budget cuts but there's also cutting your cloth.

Just as who may have speculated on the property market, we've seen them caught with their pants down. If you play risk and reward then you have to be prepared for the risk. Time will tell how well they were prepared.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 23, 2020, 06:55:14 pm by drfchound »
Property is usually a safe enough bet.
Losses only happen if people panic sell and I haven’t seen much of that just now.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 23, 2020, 07:38:57 pm by idler »
You should only gamble money that you can afford to lose. Plan long term and cash in at a time that suits you rather than when you are forced to.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 23, 2020, 08:48:11 pm by drfchound »
 :that:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012