Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 03:08:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Clubs in the EFL refusing to start the season  (Read 2633 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Clubs in the EFL refusing to start the season
« on July 22, 2020, 12:45:52 pm by phil old leake »
I agree with McAnthony re this

I wouldn’t expel them if they were league 1 clubs I’d relegate them and promote clubs that want to play

Hopefully the EFL will be strong and sort This out

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/expulsion-call-clubs-who-refuse-start-202021-season-due-costs-2920341

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Clubs in the EFL refusing to start the season
« Reply #1 on July 22, 2020, 12:47:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Didn't Ipswich want to carry on the season just gone but don't want to start this season? :lol:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 22, 2020, 12:53:34 pm by selby »
  Bolton have got history of not playing when they don't want to, and got away with it so probably think they can do as they want.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 22, 2020, 02:01:45 pm by Metalmicky »
  Bolton have got history of not playing when they don't want to, and got away with it so probably think they can do as they want.

Too early for Bolton to declare...... they will probably pull out with 36 hours to go

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 22, 2020, 03:37:27 pm by PDX_Rover »
Of members are unwilling or unable to fulfill the criteria or demands of the competition then they should be expelled.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 22, 2020, 04:17:04 pm by silent majority »
Can't agree with any of this.

People were apoplectic over the Bury situation yet everybody here seems determined to impose that fate on lots of other clubs for voicing their concerns over the perilous financial state of clubs in LGs 1 and 2. What if one of those clubs was DRFC? Would you be so quick to insist on them being expelled too?

And lets not forget, the EFL is a members organisation and Darren McAnthony is just one of those members, he has one vote just like everybody else. I feel this is a smokescreen from him, determined to push through his agenda at the cost of everybody else, and the start date for the season is not that agenda.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:32:16 pm by silent majority »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 22, 2020, 04:19:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
The clubs should not be refusing to start but where is the financial package to help all League 1 and 2 clubs if they need it.  In April payment was brought forward of £125m to EFL from EPL for League and National League sides. But it was said 80% of that went to the Championship leaving 20% split between 3 x 24 clubs = 72 clubs. So additional funds will be required if the above is correct to make sure League 1 and 2 can operate until normal crowds can comeback to football.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 22, 2020, 04:21:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
MacAnthony's words are those of a desperate man. Clear what his priorities are and he pays scant regard for the welfare of all those involved and the predicament of playing behind closed doors.

Nothing has changed since last season was curtailed so why is it a shock that clubs are reluctant to play.

He needs to get his head out of his arse. Thankfully, there are more sensible club owners about.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 22, 2020, 04:23:10 pm by firestarter »
It’s more antics from MacAnthony.. once again trying to railroad everyone else to achieve his own objectives. He is a desperate man seeking to get out of league 1 in any way he can

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 22, 2020, 04:24:21 pm by bobbymax »
I'm sorry but I'm morally and intellectually bound to ignore anything reportedly originating from that d**k MacAnthony. 

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 22, 2020, 04:27:20 pm by RoversAlias »
He's a joke, MacAnthony that is, and anyone advocating for clubs to be expelled during this awful time for the world needs to reassess their priorities.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 22, 2020, 04:28:18 pm by silent majority »
I can't find any solid evidence that clubs are threatening strike action. The only person voicing that is McAnthony, so I would take that with a pinch of salt.

However I have seen a few clubs suggesting that the 12th September is too soon, something I agree with. However any significant delay has some serious knock on effects further down the line. It literally will be about 11 or 12 midweek games if the season finishes when planned.

I don't think the EFL took that £125m in the end. It was an advance payment which would be needed during the forthcoming season. What is crucial is 2 things, one is that the clubs can agree on a wage cap and squad size restrictions for the coming season. If that happens the EFL strengthens its hand, both with government and with the EPL. The second thing is that talks between the EPL and the EFL have to bear fruit and from what I hear that will welcome and rewarding. Fingers crossed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 22, 2020, 07:07:18 pm by drfchound »
Martin, it is interesting to see that the clubs have now openly said that they would be looking to start the new season on 12th September.
I remember saying a few weeks ago that my friend who works at Scunthorpe on the playing side had been told to prepare for a 12th September start.
You told me that my source was incorrect as no decision had been made.
That may well have been the case but obviously the Scunny chairman knew something when he told my friend to prepare for that start date.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:28:22 pm by drfchound »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 22, 2020, 07:28:46 pm by selby »
SM, I don't think you get the fact that because the EFL is a members organisation it is not fit for purpose. While you have one McAnthony it has problems, and it has more than one all looking after their own ends.
  It needs a complete overhaul, a new constitution administered by a totally independent administration not connected with any of the clubs directly.
  it will not happen as too many have their own agenda to follow, and too much money for the few in the existing driving seat.
  Nobody wants any club to suffer at all, but the spivs and charlatans need to be got rid of out of the game completely, basically it needs government intervention and shaking up from top to bottom.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 22, 2020, 07:43:02 pm by the vicar »
 McAnthony is a total shit head, someone will punch him one day

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 22, 2020, 08:10:47 pm by silent majority »
Martin, it is interesting to see that the clubs have now openly said that they would be looking to start the new season on 12th September.
I remember saying a few weeks ago that my friend who works at Scunthorpe on the playing side had been told to prepare for a 12th September start.
That may well have been the case but obviously the Scunny chairman knew something when he told my friend to prepare for that start date.

I can't remember the details, point me in the right direction and I'll have a look. Are you sure I challenged you in that fashion? But I was right at the time, and I still am as it's still not been determined. Even now there's a reluctance to start with the date proposed, there was then too. And it's the same argument now as it was then, an argument raised at the EFL meet that had taken place, i.e. a mid-September date means bringing players back from furlough and starting a season when no paying supporters are allowed in.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 22, 2020, 08:18:02 pm by NewDonny »
Why people bother listening to MacAnthony is beyond me, only ever about him, a horrible man from a horrible club.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 22, 2020, 08:18:10 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Well I’m not sure where the story about Bolton not wanting to start the season on 12th September came from because that’s what everybody’s here is working to. The players are back for an extended pre season and we’re just waiting to get confirmation from the EFL on that and crowd sizes for October so Season Tickets can be sold. Like most of you I have little time for MacAnthony so take what he says with a pinch of salt. That said though, I can understand many lower league clubs struggling financially to get games on with no income and the added cost of Covid testing so I’d like to hear just what help is coming from above on that. If there’s nothing then inevitably I think several clubs will just fold never mind kicking them out.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 22, 2020, 08:18:47 pm by silent majority »
SM, I don't think you get the fact that because the EFL is a members organisation it is not fit for purpose. While you have one McAnthony it has problems, and it has more than one all looking after their own ends.
  It needs a complete overhaul, a new constitution administered by a totally independent administration not connected with any of the clubs directly.
  it will not happen as too many have their own agenda to follow, and too much money for the few in the existing driving seat.
  Nobody wants any club to suffer at all, but the spivs and charlatans need to be got rid of out of the game completely, basically it needs government intervention and shaking up from top to bottom.

Steady on Selby, I've never said that because they're a members organisation then they can't be 'unfit for purpose'. Of course we've argued for years about the governance of the game, we've written several articles and produced a working document to support our ideas. A document that went before a select committee (your government intervention) has been supported by numerous MP's, the FA have approved it, the EPL have discussed it, and last week we met with the EFL to go through it in more detail.

I think we understand what's wrong with the game as a whole. Try reading it yourself, and then tell me what's wrong;

https://thefsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/FSA-Proposals-to-improve-football-regulation.pdf

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 22, 2020, 08:41:43 pm by drfchound »

I can't remember the details, point me in the right direction and I'll have a look. Are you sure I challenged you in that fashion? But I was right at the time, and I still am as it's still not been determined. Even now there's a reluctance to start with the date proposed, there was then too. And it's the same argument now as it was then, an argument raised at the EFL meet that had taken place, i.e. a mid-September date means bringing players back from furlough and starting a season when no paying supporters are allowed in.

Have a read of your post #475 on the EFL SEASON OVER thread.
I’m not trying to open an argument here, just stating that the Scunny Chairman wouldn’t have just picked that date out of thin air.
Something must have put that date into his head.
I also posted a few days later that two Solihull Moors players that I have got to know of late had been given the same date by their club.
I have read a piece this evening about some clubs not wanting to restart until October and for what it is worth I also think that September is too soon.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 23, 2020, 04:12:12 pm by IDM »
Yes indeed - I have long since thought that the early rounds of the Checkatrade or whatever it is called, should be pre season, so that is more or less the same..

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 23, 2020, 04:37:23 pm by Michael Shaw »
McAnthony is a total shit head, someone will punch him one day

That's not a very Christian attitude, Vicar...   LOL

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 23, 2020, 05:00:32 pm by roversdude »
When are Rovers back training has that been decided (sorry if I’ve missed this)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 23, 2020, 05:49:43 pm by selby »
   SM, I have read through it and agree with everything proposed, which would tighten things up considerably, a lot of thought has gone into the input, and recognition of the problems that exist.
 How would those proposals affect the present ownership and management of clubs, where there might be persons who would be disqualified for past demeners but are already in positions of management, would those rules only disqualify new appointees, such as Richardson and his past sine die from the racing world? but not if he were connected with a club before the proposals are instigated?
   Something needs to be done and quickly, but getting that past the people at the top end of the football pyramid may prove problematic, especially if bombing other countries is included for any Saudi owners.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012