Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 12:19:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Movement to introduce the 'Singing Section'  (Read 12698 times)

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
Movement to introduce the 'Singing Section'
« on February 15, 2010, 09:55:59 am by WSBBA_Ben »
The topic of a ‘Singing Section’ at the Keepmoat Stadium has rumbled on for the last 4 years. The honeymoon/teething period of a football stadium is generally 4 to 5 years, people get the feel of the place and by this point, generally realise where they want to sit. Saturday was another game which showed the overwhelming evidence that there are maybe a hardcore 1500 fans which want to get involved in singing at the match, but because of the set seating arrangements, it’s not as easy to all gravitate together, which obviously happened in the Pop Stand at Old Belle Vue.

We have taken it upon ourselves to begin a campaign to introduce a ‘Singing Section’ in the West Stand at the KMS. The WSBBA have decided to come together as a group (not enough members yet to equate an organisation) who have an aim to challenge the club to bring the spirit of Belle Vue back. We feel a singing section in the West Stand makes a lot of sense; the banter with the away fans (especially the teams who travel well) is brilliant and adds to the occasion.

Taking it forward.
We don’t want this to be your typical ‘fluffy’ Rovers attempt to create a fun section, they tried that with the South Stand and that has become a very clinical and has, in recent seasons died off somewhat.  I sometimes go to see the Ice Hockey (lets be fair, it gets boring watching Newcastle on Sky & BBC1 every Saturday at 5:20) and the Steelers have created a singing section coined ‘Rock the block’, it has worked and for an hour every week them folk in that area have a bloody good dance about and sing song, it looks fun, I’d pay £20 for a bit of that. Other clubs like WBA have a singing section, possibly no more than 2500 fans, but if you travel away with the Rovers, you’ll know that 1000 voices can fill a stadium, not a problem.
But this goes further than singing; it’s about identity and reigniting what it is to be a Doncaster Rovers fan, being proud of your town and your team. We would like your support if you agree or suggestions on how we can take this to the club as a group.

Cheers, Ben (WSBBA)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

thornerover

• Forum Member
Re:Movement to introduce the 'Singing Section'
« Reply #1 on February 15, 2010, 10:32:13 am by thornerover »
i like to sit opposit you lot in the east stand and you are right you could do with a few more voices,it frustrates me when we play at home cos its like sat in a grave yard where i sit (right next to the away fans ) and all you can hear is them singing, what makes it  worse is i very rarely miss an away game and i really enjoy the singing  and banter there ,its getting so i would rather go away then come to the keepmoat as the atmosphere is shite

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 15, 2010, 10:41:30 am by WSBBA_Ben »
thornerover wrote:
its getting so i would rather go away then come to the keepmoat as the atmosphere is shite

I agree mate; I'd have an away season ticket if I could; You buzz for away games because you know you'll have a good crack, win or lose. Why can't home games be like this....! This is why we're trying to do this, hopefully a fan such as yourself might gravitate to the West in time and join the revolution.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 15, 2010, 11:08:39 am by MrFrost »
I sat with you lot for the Wednesday game. There doesn't seem to be many spare seats, especially now as most of that corner is used for segregation purposes, trying to stop any banter with the away supporters.
Maybe the club should earmark the last one or two blocks of seats for anyone wanting to join the WSBA.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 15, 2010, 11:24:32 am by SkellowRover »
There aee a lot more seats in the east stand towards the way fans then the west. If a lot of people want to do it then the east stand would be a better option imo.

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 15, 2010, 12:06:06 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
MrFrost wrote:
I sat with you lot for the Wednesday game. There doesn't seem to be many spare seats, especially now as most of that corner is used for segregation purposes, trying to stop any banter with the away supporters.
Maybe the club should earmark the last one or two blocks of seats for anyone wanting to join the WSBA.

This is something we will address with the club. The atmosphere has suffered since that segrigation, we will ask that the segrigation is taken back further, freeing up several hundred seats, I feel this was a cost cutting measure too, the away fans rarely take a support which troubles the North Stand. If we drum up enough support for this, I doubt John Ryan will turn down such a request as it freshens up the club a bit again and gives supporters something to shout about (pardon the pun).

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 15, 2010, 12:37:21 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
As with everything these days, we are also on Facebook.

Search: Doncaster Rovers fans for a Singing Section.

Viva la revolution.

Mr Croft

« Reply #7 on February 15, 2010, 01:02:33 pm by Mr Croft »
Yes It is essential that this movement is done quickly to ensure that it is a sucess, any stalling would ultimately crush the idea rather than helping the cause.

I think the first step is to agree where it should be situated, preferably the area of segregation between the North and West stand, or east if that is what is preferred. It would then be simple to just ask the club/Keepmoat to allow this area of segregation to be used. If the club gives us the go ahead, it would beneficial to ask to allow it to be ticket only and therefore unreserved seating would be the best option, the problem would then  occur of season ticket holders freely moving to the singing section from other parts of the crowd and ultimately over crowding.

Although I do not think it would be a problem for a season ticket holder to contact the Keepmoat in advance to be given tickets for all games in the singing section so that there actual season ticket seat can be sold to other people. This allows the Keepmoat to stop overcrowding in advance.

The problem is if the Keepmoat/Rovers deny our request, we must then re-think of the situation and come to a solution, one that needs to be thought of before the next course of action can be taken.

I do anticipate this movement of the Rovers fans as I would love to be part of the 'group' that helps our atmosphere move forward.

RTID

thornerover94

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 15, 2010, 01:13:12 pm by thornerover94 »
i have always been a south stand man but i am definitely willing to move if it helps create a beter atmosphere at the moat as someone stated before i dont go to moat much anymore due to the lack of atmosphere and prefer the away days as it is more fun and you are always going to have a good sing and banter, i am for this i every way because the keepmoat is quickly turning into a library on matchdays the more we can do to stop that the better lets just hope we get the backing from the club aswell

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 15, 2010, 01:15:23 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Not trying to be negative but isn't encouraging people to move from the SS where the majority of the noise comes from going to split the support further?

This could end up having the opposite effect to the one intended.

It makes more sense to me at the moment to get as many people as possible who want to sing in the same place, and at the moment that is the SS.

Also, as the club has already encouraged a movement in the SS (there is a section on the OS), it would make it easier to take ideas to the club about improving it.

Worth bearing in mind also that a SS ticket is cheaper than the West or East.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 15, 2010, 01:17:29 pm by Superspy »
the problem with that is there are a lot of \"non singers\" in the SS already who probably wont want to move their season tickets next year, taking up space for somebody who would contribute to the atmosphere.

Mr Croft

« Reply #11 on February 15, 2010, 01:21:07 pm by Mr Croft »
Snods Shinpad wrote:

Worth bearing in mind also that a SS ticket is cheaper than the West or East.

Well the section we are talking about are catagory B, and season tickets have ruined our atmosphere due to those who are not willing to move from the south stand, so this new section must have to be ticket only, and also unreserved seating, this gives no fan an advantage on who wants to sit where as it is a first come first serve basis.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 15, 2010, 01:26:54 pm by Superspy »
correct me if im wrong but the idea of unreserved seating is almost a non-starter due to policing/crowd control policies?

Mr Croft

« Reply #13 on February 15, 2010, 01:34:22 pm by Mr Croft »
If this section is situated in the west stand in the segregation, the keepmoat know how many seats they are there, so making in unreserved, they just sell that amount of tickets then close the issue, and the people only allowed to sit in that section must have a ticket. Problem solved.

The keepmoat can make the excuse that you must be sat in your seat so if you need finding we can do, then why on earth are announcemnets made for (insert name here) to find the nearest steward

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2010, 01:37:39 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Superspy wrote:
the problem with that is there are a lot of \"non singers\" in the SS already who probably wont want to move their season tickets next year, taking up space for somebody who would contribute to the atmosphere.

This is correct, in the WSB section we already have a strong hold of around 200, with several others who get involved in the banter too. The seating next to us is not been used, that two blocks of fans would make a hell of a lot of noise.

Unreserved seating would be great but it's a good point that it might not be viable, but the culture of a singing section would induce a lot of standing anyway, so even if you're on Row H, you can still have a good old sing song.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2010, 01:39:25 pm by not on facebook »
how did that mid 1970's chart hitting somg go......

.....'if the boys want to sing you better let them'......

horse on i say

Mr Croft

« Reply #16 on February 15, 2010, 01:53:28 pm by Mr Croft »
I said earlier that this is something that who are all interested need to agree on, especially all the details like 'where' 'ticket only or season tickets' 'unreserved or normal' etc.,

we need to come to a formal agreement on all situations rather than argue on what we don't want.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2010, 01:55:36 pm by Superspy »
right, who are the forum admins/mods so i can give them my idea from the other day of a singing section on the forum itself?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2010, 02:01:50 pm by Filo »
And what do you propose to do with season ticket holders already in your proposed singing section, some may have had their seats since the First game at the Keepmoat, you can`t just disregard them

Mr Croft

« Reply #19 on February 15, 2010, 02:05:09 pm by Mr Croft »
Filo wrote:
And what do you propose to do with season ticket holders already in your proposed singing section, some may have had their seats since the First game at the Keepmoat, you can`t just disregard them

We plan to move it to the segregation part that no one sits in, only the odd steward over there may feel like he is being forced out

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2010, 02:11:45 pm by Filo »
Mr Croft wrote:

We plan to move it to the segregation part that no one sits in, only the odd steward over there may feel like he is being forced out

Funny t**t!

A valid question!

Personally i think the segregation area will be a no go, as someone earlier mentioned, if all the singers got together in the southstand, theres plenty of available seats then the fact that the noise will be comming from that area might just encourage the people around to join in

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2010, 02:11:52 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Filo wrote:

Indeed, people will not be disregarded; although, we were when the KMS moved us from our seats across to where we are currently housed. The hardcore WSBBA lads at the top already own their seats, we will suggest that the 400 odd seats next to us be freed up too. This is a no brainer, watching football at the KMS is always good, but trying to support the team is dire, this will sort things out in a big way.

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2010, 02:15:48 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Filo wrote:
Mr Croft wrote:

Funny t**t!

A valid question!

Personally i think the segregation area will be a no go, as someone earlier mentioned, if all the singers got together in the southstand, theres plenty of available seats then the fact that the noise will be comming from that area might just encourage the people around to join in

Well, we're going to try and run with this, I feel you're been pretty negative towards this Filo; we're realistic and I think if we sit down with the club, it'll make sense. Mr. Croft is right, there are stewards to police an area which isn't been used. The South Stand isn't an option, you cannot create an amosphere which will intimated travelling players and fans from the other end of the stadium.

Mr Croft

« Reply #23 on February 15, 2010, 02:16:38 pm by Mr Croft »
Filo wrote:
Mr Croft wrote:

Funny t**t!

A valid question!

Yes it is a valid and i wasnt trying to be funny, but the first comment made about this was to use the segregation in the west stand, if this happens then your question is already answered. If we use the south stand then we are to going to have to agree something, maybe this maybe a factor on why we cant use the south stand, these all need addressing, and I was answering your question before not trying to dismiss your comment as something that we should ignore like my comments are treated most of the time.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 15, 2010, 02:20:35 pm by Filo »
WSBBA_Ben wrote:
I feel you're been pretty negative towards this Filo;

Pretty negative eh?

Who the fcuk do you think helped organize the Democratic Poll on this forum which the \"Impossable Dream\" won, and do you lot sing it to try and get the atmosphere going, do you hold your scarves aloft? Do you fcuk! so don`t preach to me about being negative!

Mr Croft

« Reply #25 on February 15, 2010, 02:25:03 pm by Mr Croft »
Filo wrote:
WSBBA_Ben wrote:

Pretty negative eh?

Who the fcuk do you think helped organize the Democratic Poll on this forum which the \"Impossable Dream\" won, and do you lot sing it to try and get the atmosphere going, do you hold your scarves aloft? Do you fcuk! so don`t preach to me about being negative!

I actually nominated the song on behalf of my video and I do sing along to it as I helped the idea, please do not include me as 'you lot' as I feel as gutted as anyone about the impossible dream :(

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2010, 02:27:21 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Filo wrote:
WSBBA_Ben wrote:

Pretty negative eh?

I wrote to the Fanzine and the words were published in it in 2008, we're not here to argue, I just thought calling another Rovers fan who made a valid point a 't**t' was harsh and negative. We're bang up for the impossible dream being the signature song, it ticks every box, they need to blast it out, get the wet weekend on the mic to build it up.

Anyway....back to the agenda; comments and suggestions please. Join the Pop Side revolution.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2010, 02:30:14 pm by Filo »
The \"you lot\" was a collective reference. There`s many a game when you can here a pin drop, I don`t hear anyone or \"you lot\" trying to whip up an atmosphere. I`m all for getting some noise going, but some of you give up trying after 5 mins or so, you need to keep at it for the full 90 minutes!

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 15, 2010, 02:32:17 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
More people in segregated area = more stewards/policing needed = more cost to club?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2010, 02:34:15 pm by Filo »
WSBBA_Ben wrote:

I wrote to the Fanzine and the words were published in it in 2008

The Poll wasn`t run untill 2009  ;)

I`m sure Mr Croft wasn`t offended by being called a t**t!

We`re made of strong stuff in Stainy you know!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012