Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 12:15:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Do you want to live longer, lose weight and have a healthier life?  (Read 22986 times)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Re: Do you want to live longer, lose weight and have a healthier life?
« Reply #30 on August 09, 2012, 09:40:28 am by jonnydog »
Out of interest (if only simply to humour you) what do you eat on your "on" days?

R lass usually eats Chocolate :lol:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 09, 2012, 10:28:07 am by jucyberry »
Out of interest (if only simply to humour you) what do you eat on your "on" days?

R lass usually eats Chocolate :lol:

Never diss the chocolate, it's saved many a man from a thick ear one week out of every four...lol.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 09, 2012, 05:25:55 pm by mjdgreg »

I'm vegetarian so I eat a diet rich in vegetables. For the purposes of this though you can eat anything. All I would ask though is that you consider for a moment the mindless cruelty that animals are put through just so you can have your bit of meat.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 09, 2012, 05:44:40 pm by jucyberry »
Oh dear, you really won't love me at all then...

Me being a butcher, carnivore and irritant all in one...  :thumbsup:

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 09, 2012, 06:01:04 pm by mjdgreg »
Oh dear, you really won't love me at all then...

Correct.

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
I watched the Horizon programme after reading this very interesting thread and found it to be quite fascinating. I have struggled with my weight for many years and have tried every diet known to mankind. I am a prime candidate for an early death. I will visit Boots in the next couple of days and get a print out of my vital statistics and I will give this a go. I will post my results weekly, lets see what happens.
I would like to thank Mjdgreg for this live saving opportunity.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 09, 2012, 06:20:03 pm by jucyberry »
Oh how wonderful, to be at one with a fellow poster in a mutual admiration society..:)

Right off to cook my lovely rib-eye steak...nomnom.. Fast away my lovely..  :byebye:

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 09, 2012, 06:32:05 pm by mjdgreg »
I would like to thank Mjdgreg for this live saving opportunity.

You're welcome. I hope to have saved many of my fellow posters from an early undignified death (even Gypsy Rose Stubbs).

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Dagenham, I take it you do think they know what they're doing! pmsl.  You need to read one of my latest posts in the Bob Diamond thread where I have started explaining the economy for the economically illiterate ones like you. 

Arh but I am far from"economically illiterate" as you put it, however I decided a long time ago it just isn't worth argueing with someone as blinkered as your goodself, I just amuse myself taking odd bits of quote out of context  ;)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 09, 2012, 06:53:28 pm by jonnydog »
You know what they say about vegetarians though!!?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 09, 2012, 08:51:41 pm by Donnywolf »

I'm vegetarian so I eat a diet rich in vegetables. For the purposes of this though you can eat anything. All I would ask though is that you consider for a moment the mindless cruelty that animals are put through just so you can have your bit of meat.

Bloody hell I dont believe it

We DO have something in common

By the way I do know that the capilalized do is not grammatically correct but I used it merely for emphasis

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 09, 2012, 09:56:07 pm by mjdgreg »
Bloody hell I dont believe it

We DO have something in common

Glad to have you as a comrade. In future I won't be as pugnacious with you.

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
Ok I've made the decision to try this fasting method, I will be doing 2 days fasting followed by 5 days eating normally. I need to decide how best to use my 600 calories on my fasting days. Initial thoughts are a Heinz Big soup 200 calories packed out with frozen mixed veg to get up to the 600 calories.
Any other ideas on how get maximum benefit from 600 calories would be appreciated. I'm not vegetatrian and I don't eat eggs.

Thanks

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 09, 2012, 10:52:59 pm by River Don »
I'm giving this a go too. I lost quite a lot of weight by eating less and exercising more already, so I'm sort of used to it.

When I started I was 12stone. I'm 6ft tall, so I'm not overweight but I have a bit of a tyre around my middle still. That excess fat around the abdomen is not at all a good thing, I'd like to shift it. If I can drop from a 34 waist to 32 I'd be happy.

I managed the first 48 hours without food except for a small dinner. I didn't break the fast because of hunger, which I've coped with alright, it was just to be sociable.

Anyway first weight in and I've lost 2 pounds.

I'll stick with the fast while tomorrow night and then eat normally for five days. It'll be interesting to see if I'm not back to 12 stone again.

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
Good luck RD

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 09, 2012, 11:16:40 pm by mjdgreg »
Ok I've made the decision to try this fasting method, I will be doing 2 days fasting followed by 5 days eating normally. I need to decide how best to use my 600 calories on my fasting days. Initial thoughts are a Heinz Big soup 200 calories packed out with frozen mixed veg to get up to the 600 calories.
Any other ideas on how get maximum benefit from 600 calories would be appreciated. I'm not vegetatrian and I don't eat eggs.

Thank

What I've done for my 600 calories meal is as follows:

100gms. whole wheat pasta (much better than the normal stuff as it releases energy more slowly so you feel fuller for longer).

100gms. quorn mince (low in fat and calories and gives you some protein). You could try meat mince but I suspect the calorie count will be quite a bit higher.

200gms. tomato pasta sauce (I can't find a lower calorie pasta sauce).

200gms. mixed vegetables (frozen). Sainsbury's do some lovely own brand 'special mixed vegetables.'

Takes about 15 minutes to prepare and gives you a right plate full of food.

I would also recommend watching 'The Hairy Dieters' for some excellent advice on other ideas particularly if you are a meat eater.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vq8c6

Don't forget that you can pick any 2 days out of the 7 and can constantly change them around if need be. I think if you do it on 2 consecutive days it would be harder to stick to than if you broke it up a bit.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:24:34 pm by mjdgreg »

mjdgreg

• Forum Member

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 10, 2012, 10:27:36 am by River Don »
If I've got all the measurements right, according to the body fat calculator, I'm 19%. that's 5% over the recommended level and at the top end of the average American!

I'm shocked by that!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 10, 2012, 11:05:55 am by jonnydog »
Haha, Tubby McFatf**k ;)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 10, 2012, 11:38:57 am by River Don »
Haha, Tubby McFatf*** ;)

Thanks for your concern.

I'm a size medium with a 34 waist, so I don't feel fat. There are plenty of 40 yo blokes in far worse condition.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 10, 2012, 12:08:13 pm by mjdgreg »
If I've got all the measurements right, according to the body fat calculator, I'm 19%. that's 5% over the recommended level and at the top end of the average American!

I'm shocked by that!

Can't be right. The website has got its figures wrong. We all know that Americans are the fattest in the world. I'd go on my figures from Boots. At 19% you are already in the excellent category. I'd just use the website to get an idea of your body fat %.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:10:14 pm by mjdgreg »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 10, 2012, 12:27:13 pm by River Don »

I'm shocked by that!

Can't be right. The website has got its figures wrong. We all know that Americans are the fattest in the world. I'd go on my figures from Boots. At 19% you are already in the excellent category. I'd just use the website to get an idea of your body fat %.

Yep, this seems to be a more thorough calculation.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

I'm 19% on that too and it says anything below 23% is good.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 10, 2012, 12:38:13 pm by mjdgreg »
I'd be very happy with 19%. Hopefully I'll get there within a couple of months. When I did the website test I came out as 2% less than the 'accurate' Boots test so I'd say the website body fat calculators are quite accurate.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 10, 2012, 01:00:29 pm by River Don »
I'd be very happy with 19%. Hopefully I'll get there within a couple of months. When I did the website test I came out as 2% less than the 'accurate' Boots test so I'd say the website body fat calculators are quite accurate.

I'll still going to stick with the plan, for the health benefit and to see if I can drop down a waist size.

Actually as a diet I quite like it. Fasting isn't as hard as I thought it would be and it makes things straightforward. No worrying about counting calories, or this will be alright or that might be ok. it's just no food for the day, no excuses.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 10, 2012, 01:07:31 pm by mjdgreg »
I'll still going to stick with the plan, for the health benefit and to see if I can drop down a waist size.

Actually as a diet I quite like it. Fasting isn't as hard as I thought it would be and it makes things straightforward. No worrying about counting calories, or this will be alright or that might be ok. it's just no food for the day, no excuses.

Just checking you've got this right. You do know that on the 5/2 day plan you can have a 600 calorie meal on each of the fasting days?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 10, 2012, 01:34:19 pm by RedJ »

Just checking you've got this right. You do know that on the 5/2 day plan you can have a 600 calorie meal on each of the fasting days?

If I may, sir, I interpreted this as no snacking etc.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 10, 2012, 01:40:46 pm by mjdgreg »

Correct. If you snack it doesn't work. You need to trick your body into thinking you are starving so it then goes into survival mode. This then kick-starts the body repair process which reduces the effects of ageing and prevents you from getting serious illnesses. If you snack, your body won't know your 'starving'. You can drink as much black tea or water as you want.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 10, 2012, 01:54:27 pm by RedJ »

Correct. If you snack it doesn't work. You need to trick your body into thinking you are starving so it then goes into survival mode. This then kick-starts the body repair process which reduces the effects of ageing and prevents you from getting serious illnesses. If you snack, your body won't know your 'starving'. You can drink as much black tea or water as you want.

No I know, I mean I reckon that's what RD was getting at with the "no food for the day".

So does that mean no milk in t'tea? :(

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 10, 2012, 02:05:26 pm by mjdgreg »
So does that mean no milk in t'tea?

Afraid so. I drink black tea normally anyway and you soon get used to it. (no sugar either).

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member

I've watched it again and just want to check I've got this right.

Fast on any 2 days of 7.

600 calories allowed on a fasting day to be used in one meal ie. no saving calories for later eg. 3 x 200 calorie snacks as the objective is to induce hunger which then reaps the desired benefits.

If the above is correct I would question Mjdgregs decision to use food that releases energy slowly as surely this is slowing the benefits. It's not often I disagree with Mjdgreg but I question his logic on this one.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012