Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 10:44:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Do you want to live longer, lose weight and have a healthier life?  (Read 22961 times)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Re: Do you want to live longer, lose weight and have a healthier life?
« Reply #60 on August 11, 2012, 12:00:00 am by mjdgreg »
Fast on any 2 days of 7.

600 calories allowed on a fasting day to be used in one meal

Correct. My preferred option of a slower release food I don't think makes any odds. It just makes you feel fuller for longer but you are still consuming only 600 calories which will be burned up at the same rate regardless of what you eat. Once the 600 calories are burnt up your body will go into starvation mode but you'll just feel less hungry for longer.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 12, 2012, 09:47:17 am by mjdgreg »
The original link to iplayer no longer seems to be working so here it is again on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
I will start this plan this week my first fasting day will be Tuesday I 've been experimenting tonight 200 Cals Heinz Big Soup mixed with 400 cals of veg. I have learned a valuable lesson about veg it has few calories 400 Cals of veg is a massive amount and mixed with a Big Soup it looks like a massive bowl of veg. No way I can eat that much veg so it's back to the drawing board. My next attempt at 600 Cals will be a low calorie meal (Weight Watchers or similar) combined with some veg. I will let you know how I get on. Marydene Rover   

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:17:59 am by Marydene Rover »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 13, 2012, 12:30:00 am by RedJ »
I'm gonna start this week too. I think I'll keep the results to myself for if/when I fail :laugh:

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 13, 2012, 08:06:01 am by mjdgreg »
I've become a follower of the great man on Twitter. He has tweeted that the 600 calories can be split so no need to have it all in one go. This is going to make things a lot easier. I think I'm going to go on the alternate day fasting now because he says this does give better results. I'll be having two 275 calorie meals from now on with a 50 calorie cup-a-soup in the middle of the day. He recommends looking at BBC good food website which has recipe search and you can look for recipes by calorie content. It can also be accessed by an app for your smart phone. He does his fast days on a Tuesday and Thursday.

Seems like he advocates cutting down on protein as well on the non-fast days. You should stick to the 50gms. a day that is recommended. It's also OK to put a splash of milk in your tea if you can't handle it neat (he also drinks coffee). The hunger feelings on the fast days do get easier as your body gets used to the new regime. He's also planning a follow up programme.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:46:58 am by mjdgreg »

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 15, 2012, 07:57:14 am by mjdgreg »
Completed my first 8 days now and here is an update. I've put the new figures in brackets.

Original Weight -              12st 0lb (11st 8lb)
Original Height -               5' 8.4'' (no change)
Original B.M.I. -                25.0 (24.1)
Original Body Fat % -       27.8 (26.7)
Original Body Fat Mass -  21.2 kgs (20.35)

BMI

Less than 18.5 -          underweight
From 18.5 up to 25.0 - ideal weight
More than 25.0 -          overweight 

Far more important is Body Fat %.

Excellent - 19.8
Good -       25.7
Average -  28.6
Poor -        34.7   

So off to an excellent start. It may be my imagination but the arthritis I was starting to develop in my left hand has also improved. I'm hoping it will be cured completely over the coming weeks. These results have been achieved with no exercise.

I've also found a good website with a bit more information on body fat which takes account of age.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:40:59 am by mjdgreg »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 15, 2012, 08:14:52 am by RobTheRover »
Does it have to be black tea?  I like green tea.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 15, 2012, 09:35:59 am by mjdgreg »
Green tea is fine. Any water-based drink with virtually no calories in it is fine (except fizzy stuff like Cola).

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 16, 2012, 10:50:19 am by River Don »
Well I weighed in after the first week and... I'm still 12 stone.

Just to add I've had a short seaside break, so there are a few cooked breakfasts I wouldn't normally eat and one or two extra beers. On the other hand I've done more walking and digging in sand than I normally do.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 16, 2012, 11:23:36 am by River Don »
I'm gonna start this week too. I think I'll keep the results to myself for if/when I fail :laugh:

You should announce it, it'll give you the incentive to stick with it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:26:31 am by River Don »

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 16, 2012, 11:29:52 am by mjdgreg »
Well I weighed in after the first week and... I'm still 12 stone.

Just to add I've had a short seaside break, so there are a few cooked breakfasts I wouldn't normally eat and one or two extra beers. On the other hand I've done more walking and digging in sand than I normally do.

You've had an unusual week so to still be 12 stones after all those extra calories is a good result in my book. Cooked breakfasts and beer are deadly for extra calories and won't be burnt off just by walking or digging sand.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 16, 2012, 12:11:58 pm by RedJ »

You should announce it, it'll give you the incentive to stick with it.

Good point there, RD. Think Saturday and Sunday will end up being my "days off".

Time to break out the old weighing scales eh..

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
I've been doing this for a week now fasted Tuesday and Thursday last week.

Height 5'8
Original Weight 16'8 lbs (15'12lbs)
Original Body Fat 39.8% (31.5%)
Original Body Water 42.6% (49.4%)
Orginal Body Muscle 56.6% (64.7%)
Original BMI 35.2 (32.7)

The measurements have been taken with a Lloyds Pharmacy Body Composition Monitor which I bought very cheaply. I cannot  comment on the accuracy of the device but the results are very immpressive and have spurred me on to continue.

I imagine the big weight loss is for one week only and will be body fluid this dramatic initial weight loss has happened when I have dieted before. I have had a very typical week for me which has involved a fair amount of excercise and a few visits to the pub. I will update again next week and see how it goes. Good Luck to you all.   

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 20, 2012, 07:29:45 pm by mjdgreg »
I notice you haven't updated us on your height. Has that changed at all?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 20, 2012, 09:15:39 pm by wilts rover »
Sorry chaps I would like to join you but as a regular cyclist I burn off around 900 calories per hour and have to eat properly to manage the energy loss. Can I have your cake?

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 20, 2012, 11:16:21 pm by mjdgreg »
Sorry chaps I would like to join you but as a regular cyclist I burn off around 900 calories per hour and have to eat properly to manage the energy loss. Can I have your cake?

Cake is the food of Beelzebub and has no place in my dietary requirements.

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
I notice you haven't updated us on your height. Has that changed at all?

Sorry should have said no change still 5'8

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 21, 2012, 12:15:45 pm by River Don »

Thing is, this isn't a weight loss diet. It's a lifestyle regime, the objective is to give your internal organs a break from processing fats and proteins. Watch the episode of Horizon, it is fascinating.

This could work very well with sporting activities Wilts. As far as I understand it your body needs a regular break from exercise to repair and build muscle, so all you do is build in a fast around your regular cycling and then stick to your higher calorie diet which you need for the exercise days.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 21, 2012, 04:44:50 pm by mjdgreg »
The same presenter did a programme on exercise. He concluded that you could get yourself fit with only 3 minutes exercise every week. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQSzx0ofto&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:51:07 pm by mjdgreg »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 23, 2012, 10:45:49 am by River Don »
Week 2

Weighed in this morning and I've lost 3lb. I'm now 11'11. I did check in after my two days off food and I'd gone as low as 11'10 so I've only gained a pound during the last 3 normal eating days.

I think my measurements are almost exactly what they were, though maybe my trousers do feel a touch looser.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 23, 2012, 04:14:05 pm by mjdgreg »
Completed my first 16 days now and here is an update. I've put the new figures in brackets.

Original Weight -              12st 0lb (11st 6lb)
Original Height -               5' 8.4'' (no change)
Original B.M.I. -                25.0 (23.6)
Original Body Fat % -       27.8 (25.5)

BMI

Less than 18.5 -          underweight
From 18.5 up to 25.0 - ideal weight
More than 25.0 -          overweight 

Far more important is Body Fat %.

Excellent - 19.8
Good -       25.7
Average -  28.6
Poor -        34.7 

I've gone in a notch on my trouser belt. Reckon I'll be almost 11 stones in a couple of weeks the way it's going. So will be 1 stone weight loss in a month near enough.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 23, 2012, 05:16:26 pm by River Don »
I've gone in a notch on my trouser belt. Reckon I'll be almost 11 stones in a couple of weeks the way it's going. So will be 1 stone weight loss in a month near enough.

Going in the right direction but there's been a slow down in weight loss this week then? 1 stone in a month might prove to be a bit optimistic.

How are you finding the empty days?

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
I'm mid way through my second week. I work shifts and found it easy last week whilst I was on nights. This week I'm on afternoons and have found it difficult to get to sleep after work because I'm hungry. I'll stick with it though it seems to be working, I have a lot of weight to lose but I'm doing primarily for the health benefits.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 23, 2012, 07:45:22 pm by mjdgreg »
Going in the right direction but there's been a slow down in weight loss this week then? 1 stone in a month might prove to be a bit optimistic.

How are you finding the empty days?

You could be right. I'm a born optimist. The first week was always going to be the biggest weight loser but I reckon I can drop at least 2lbs a week for the foreseeable future so that would get me to 11 stones 2lbs.

I'm finding the empty days a lot easier to handle now that I've split my calories into 3 'meals.' However it does take a lot of will power to avoid temptations like ice cream on days out. I've found not having 'bad foods' in the house has helped a lot and the shopping bill has come down a bit as well.

I do enjoy my food a lot more on my non-fast days and don't feel the need to over eat to make up for the fast days. Once I get to less than 19% body fat I'll relax the regime a bit and just keep it there. Michael Mosely throws in the odd 6/1 week as he doesn't want to lose any more weight.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 25, 2012, 04:37:50 am by mjdgreg »
More information about the 5/2, some of which wasn't in the documentary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
I've been doing this for 2 weeks now still going in the right direction but my weight loss loss has slowed.

Height 5'8 (5'8) (5'8)
Original Weight 16'8 lbs (15'12lbs)(15'9 lbs)
Original Body Fat 39.8% (31.5%)(37.5%)
Original Body Water 42.6% (49.4%)(44.7%)
Orginal Body Muscle 56.6% (64.7%)(58.9%)
Original BMI (35.2)(32.7)(33.3)

Clearly going well, not at all sure about some of the other readings, ie. body fat etc they seem to lack credibility or perhaps it's just last weeks results that are wrong.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 27, 2012, 04:48:10 pm by River Don »
I've been doing this for 2 weeks now still going in the right direction but my weight loss loss has slowed.

Height 5'8 (5'8) (5'8)
Original Weight 16'8 lbs (15'12lbs)(15'9 lbs)
Original Body Fat 39.8% (31.5%)(37.5%)
Original Body Water 42.6% (49.4%)(44.7%)
Orginal Body Muscle 56.6% (64.7%)(58.9%)
Original BMI (35.2)(32.7)(33.3)

Clearly going well, not at all sure about some of the other readings, ie. body fat etc they seem to lack credibility or perhaps it's just last weeks results that are wrong.

I would be surprised if you had shifted that much body fat and gained that much muscle In the first week.

The most reliable figure is your overall weight, which has dropped significantly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:47:07 pm by River Don »

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
I agree RD the body fat stats for last week must be flawed overall though I'm pleased with the results and I'm finding it surprisingly easy on the 600 cal days.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 27, 2012, 11:45:05 pm by mjdgreg »
Well done Marydene. That's an excellent weight loss. I would say a loss of 2lbs a week from now on would be as good as it gets. Any more and you are going to be losing muscle as well as fat.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 29, 2012, 03:47:46 pm by River Don »
Northern consommé, the football favourite Bovril makes a warming, savoury drink on those empty days. It has very little calorific content, which is great but has quite a lot of salt, which is not so great. Still makes a nice change from black tea or coffee.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012