Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 01:51:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lance Armstrong  (Read 6468 times)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: Lance Armstrong
« Reply #30 on January 16, 2013, 10:46:10 am by The L J Monk »
If you were in Armstrong's position as a talented junior cyclist, and you could see that substance abuse was so widespread in your sport, that the only way for you to achieve any success at a professional level was to dope, what would you do?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 16, 2013, 07:12:06 pm by CusworthRovers »
Same as Wiggins and Cavendish

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 16, 2013, 07:20:07 pm by The L J Monk »
Difficult to compare Wiggins and Cav with Armstrong as they almost represent two different generations of cyclists. The former are now racing in a sport that is (thought to) have cleaned up its act, and represents a level playing field for all, where as the latter came into the sport when doping was endemic.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 16, 2013, 07:22:57 pm by CusworthRovers »
Don't forget Wiggins quit Confidas (sp) due to the whole team being arrested and riddled with it. So it was still rife when he started on the roads

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 16, 2013, 07:41:04 pm by wilts rover »
If you were in Armstrong's position as a talented junior cyclist, and you could see that substance abuse was so widespread in your sport, that the only way for you to achieve any success at a professional level was to dope, what would you do?

Dunno, what did Nicole Cooke do? Or what did she say she did? Which is the million dollar question isn't it, were they really all on it, even the ones at the back of the peleton, or was it just the best, or the ones who were nearly the best who just needed that little extra boost that maybe.....

With Armstrong it is not solely the fact that he took drugs, but the way he bullied people to cover it up and deny it for so long.

Yes doping was certainly rife when Wiggins started as a road pro.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 16, 2013, 07:44:03 pm by The L J Monk »
Compare and contrast the experience of Wiggins and Cofidis (although having said he promised never to compete in their colours again he was still competing for them 3 months later) against Christophe Bassons and FDJ/the entire peleton. Tells you how much attitudes in the sport have changed.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 16, 2013, 08:03:41 pm by CusworthRovers »
Indeed LJ, just splitting hairs really in that you implied drugs were not the big thing when these 2 (Wiggo and Cav) started. It was pretty rife really as per the Confidas fiasco which Wiggo belonged too. I'm also reading The Rise of Team Sky, Wiggo and Cav book and it pretty much says as much in their too

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 16, 2013, 08:07:49 pm by CusworthRovers »
Changing the topic slightly, I'm contemplating riding the Tour route once its announced.
On another note we're researching the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride. Anybody done this? Looks shit hot.
London Bike Ride is a huge ballot type event too

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 16, 2013, 09:53:44 pm by wilts rover »
Yes I have my name down for the LBR, then again so do 60 000 others. Great Yorkshire BR looks good, we have a similar one down here in Wiltshire, that I have done with my nephew for the past couple of years. Before Christmas the club we are in hired out Newport Velodrome for a few weeks and we went along and had a go at that, brilliant fun, 18sec I was for the flying lap. Our next event is a 100km audax in 4 weeks, apparently you get 4 lots of free cake!

nutwellrover in dublin

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 17, 2013, 12:41:10 am by nutwellrover in dublin »
In reply to a previous mentioned professional cyclist. Andre Kivilev. its 10 years this year that while watching Eurosport live i saw this lad fall and not get up!!!!. It was on the run in to St Etienne on the Paris to Nice race. More is sacrificed in this sport than what it takes for to doping to do the winning. I so hope that the true hard!!! mans sport of cycling see through this hard time. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:44:15 am by nutwellrover in dublin »

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 18, 2013, 09:19:35 am by The L J Monk »
Lance's interview not particularly surprising. Basically went down the line you'd expect. Doping was like having "air in the tyres and water in the bottle".

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 18, 2013, 10:44:32 am by moses »
I take it that Lance Armstrong admitting it was the PROOF Raven Rover was looking for.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 18, 2013, 10:51:57 am by The L J Monk »
No. Raven Rover needs to see proof of a failed test.

This "testimony" from Mr Armstrong is just another from a whole host of people with an agenda.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 18, 2013, 11:17:35 am by wilts rover »
Lance's interview not particularly surprising. Basically went down the line you'd expect. Doping was like having "air in the tyres and water in the bottle".

I had to do it because everyone was doing it - apart from the ones who weren't of course

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 18, 2013, 11:24:10 am by The L J Monk »
I don't think it was a case of "he had to do it", but more a case of "to win, he had to do it".

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 18, 2013, 12:18:55 pm by mjdgreg »
What a load of old waffle. The bloke is a cheat, end of. Watching someone ride a bike  is as boring as watching paint dry. Impossible to say if he's the greatest ever cheat.

Muhammad Ali is the greatest ever athlete there has ever been in the hardest sport, no question.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 18, 2013, 12:30:08 pm by ravenrover »
No. Raven Rover needs to see proof of a failed test.

This "testimony" from Mr Armstrong is just another from a whole host of people with an agenda.

Innocent until PROVEN guilty springs to mind.
Now Armstrong has admitted it thats enough for me.
My whole point was that the only "evidence" was statements by proven drug cheats, many of whom were trying to do a deal with the US authorities.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 18, 2013, 12:39:07 pm by The L J Monk »
Statements weren't all by proven drug cheats as almost half came from people who weren't even competitors.

It's not a criminal case anyway, so innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply. Burden of proof would be more appropriate.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #48 on January 18, 2013, 12:55:57 pm by GM-MarkB »
Statements weren't all by proven drug cheats as almost half came from people who weren't even competitors.

It's not a criminal case anyway, so innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply. Burden of proof would be more appropriate.

Ahh but perjury is a 'criminal' act...a jail sentence could be awaiting. Mind you, i'll be amazed if it gets that far

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 18, 2013, 01:03:21 pm by The L J Monk »
I was tempted to use the word "yet" after "criminal case".

No doubt he's got a lot of civil actions coming his way.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 18, 2013, 04:21:20 pm by moses »
I am sure the reason LA was so clear about last cheating in 2005 had nothing to do with the legal statute of liability in the US.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 18, 2013, 04:25:36 pm by wilts rover »
I haven't heard the interview myself but just heard a good comment on the radio, Lance isn't sorry or ashamed for taking drugs, lying about it and bullying people to cover it up and dragging cycling into the gutter - all he is sorry for is being caught.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 18, 2013, 04:57:45 pm by RedJ »
It's on Discovery tonight at 8pm, repeat of the first part of the interview for anyone who hasn't seen it and has the means to do so.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 18, 2013, 05:46:14 pm by ravenrover »

It was more the principle of innocent till proven guilty but that is all irrelavent now

TinyPortal © 2005-2012