Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:49:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sell out after sell out  (Read 3617 times)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Sell out after sell out
« on April 30, 2017, 11:38:26 am by VivaRovers »
We sold out of fanzines again yesterday... for the fifth issue in a row. That's despite raising the print run after each issue. Yesterday was the most I've had printed since we were in the second tier and we sold out even quicker than usual.

Huge thanks to everyone who has bought - and keeps buying - an issue this season, and especially to everyone who has taken the time to stop me and say kind words about it. I think it's only got better and better this season, so it's nice to have that reaffirmed by more impartial folk than myself.

We were able to give away £1,000 to local charities at Christmas, we've brought in around half that again already since, so we'll be able to look at news ways to invest that into the town next season.

So not only has it been a great season for Rovers - it really has, despite your frustrations at recent results - it's been our best as a fanzine too.

So, thanks again to everyone who's written for us this year, everyone who's helped sell, and everyone who's bought a copy. It is hugely appreciated, not just by me, but also by my girlfriend as it means we've significantly less spare copies cluttering up the flat.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Sell out after sell out
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2017, 12:54:53 pm by not on facebook »
Mr vivarovers > football fanzines just like vivarovers have come along long way in the last 30 years .

Even before viz the Geordie comic/ fanzine came out there was a fanzine called ' The End' which it's first issue came out in 1981 with first print issue of 1000 .They were soon printing 3000 for every issue and on the makers words they never really pushed it.

I have untold copy's of it as a donny lad who went with Everton allways brought copy's back with him whenever they was issued.

Don't quite know if you have heard of 'The End' but if you type in the end fanzine Liverpool you will find it.

Iam trying to copy and paste a link to it here ,but I keep on getting a Manchester music baised fanzine reraing its head for some technical reason I can't solve.

Keep up the good work.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2017, 12:59:38 pm by GazLaz »
Well done, a lot of time and effort must go into creating each one. All for a worthy cause though, sure the charitable donations are very greatly received.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2017, 06:07:14 pm by Pancho Regan »
Great news, well done Viva.
 I always make sure I buy a copy and I hope you continue your efforts for many seasons to come.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2017, 11:06:46 pm by acacia94 »
Top stuff Glen – sure when its 1am and you've got to get it to the printers for 9am the next day you're thinking this is total f**kin b*llocks but keep cracking on.

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 01, 2017, 08:52:00 am by Crowle Rover »
Mr vivarovers > football fanzines just like vivarovers have come along long way in the last 30 years .

Even before viz the Geordie comic/ fanzine came out there was a fanzine called ' The End' which it's first issue came out in 1981 with first print issue of 1000 .They were soon printing 3000 for every issue and on the makers words they never really pushed it.

I have untold copy's of it as a donny lad who went with Everton allways brought copy's back with him whenever they was issued.

Don't quite know if you have heard of 'The End' but if you type in the end fanzine Liverpool you will find it.

Iam trying to copy and paste a link to it here ,but I keep on getting a Manchester music baised fanzine reraing its head for some technical reason I can't solve.

Keep up the good work.

I think the one you're on about was edited by The Farm singer Peter Hooton
An anthology of all the issues came out in 2011 and can be found on e-bay but its quite pricey (£30 starting bids)
Saw one at the time in Waterstones and kicking myself for not buying it

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 01, 2017, 08:54:09 am by Crowle Rover »

Keep up the good work.

An anthology of all the issues came out in 2011 and can be found on e-bay but its quite pricey (£30 starting bids)

Found it!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-End-Liverpool-1980s-Fanzine-2011-Published-Anthology-All-Issues-/122465808242?hash=item1c8387ef72:g:77EAAOSw53NZAOp0

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 01, 2017, 09:42:09 am by not on facebook »

Keep up the good work.

Peter hooton was part of the end set up and Iam sure they used his infulance to help sell the first 1000 prints in its first issues and it type of steam rolled from there.

They had a ins/outs section bascially two lists of what was in and what was out

I recall write ups on 'Ron Atkinsons long leather' and ' billy no mates' aswell as 'nightmare tours to blackpool' been funny as owt you could buy back then.

Viz that Geordie rag was formed sometime after the end started but they went nationwide with their sales outlets as the end was mainly sold on matchdays in Liverpool.

If that book priced at £30 and it has copy's of write ups from the end it will be money well spent by whoever pays out for it

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 01, 2017, 10:29:20 pm by RoversAlias »
A great effort this season Glen, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them every month. Haven't read this one yet as I've been busy all weekend (and I decided to ignore football for two days after the game!) but will give it a read in the week. Looking forward to next season!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 02, 2017, 09:28:17 am by Mike_F »
Having had a very busy weekend I've barely started reading my copy yet but that Jack The Miner piece about Alfie May had me in stitches.

It's been a pleasure contributing again this season and I agree that the quality has only got better despite my best efforts!

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 03, 2017, 11:05:55 am by tommy toes »
Glen, your editorial this month was spot on and made me swell with pride for our club.
It should be made compulsive reading for some of the miserable buggers on here.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 03, 2017, 01:42:34 pm by graingrover »
I enjoy and appreciate your work Glen and that of your regular contributors.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 03, 2017, 02:15:55 pm by Donnywolf »
Glen, your editorial this month was spot on and made me swell with pride for our club.
It should be made compulsive reading for some of the miserable buggers on here.

Objection - calls for speculation

(and did you see Pg 29 ?)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 03, 2017, 06:14:06 pm by tommy toes »
Page 29 eh? Hmm maybe let me see now (flicks through pages, licks fingers etc)
Ah here we are. Blah blah Crewe Alex. Bus Stainforth. Yes read it. Nice bit of nostalgia John xx

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 03, 2017, 06:43:48 pm by Donnywolf »
Have just found out Idler was a B "crewe" man too ! More nostalgia !

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 03, 2017, 08:16:42 pm by tommy toes »
Really? Did I know him then?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 04, 2017, 12:09:53 am by idler »
The hot end didn't spend much time with the cold end Tommy.
Hot end being furnaces and cold end the other end of the lehrs or conveyer belts. 😉
Happy days £100 a week with overtime in 1973. Double shifts a regular thing then.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 04, 2017, 06:31:20 am by tommy toes »
Aye me and wolfie were at the hot end.
I've got two large skin graft scars on my arm as a constant reminder of those days.
Horrible noisy dirty dangerous place.
But as you say the money was good and the lads on B crew were a great bunch.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 04, 2017, 06:41:55 pm by idler »
43 years almost since I left. All those terms you don't hear any more like crizzles and danny necks. I can still roll four milk bottles and such to entertain the grand kids. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 04, 2017, 06:52:56 pm by tommy toes »
37 years for me and I still have dreams that I'm there swabbing the moulds or changing the rings. Very strange.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 05, 2017, 08:41:06 pm by Donnywolf »
43 years almost since I left. All those terms you don't hear any more like crizzles and danny necks. I can still roll four milk bottles and such to entertain the grand kids. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Crizzled Ring what a brill term ! Also the Sorters least favourite ..... Spikes

TinyPortal © 2005-2012