Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:17:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ipswich - some context  (Read 1034 times)

SouperJim

Ipswich - some context
« on September 29, 2021, 10:12:54 pm by SouperJim »
Ipswich fan in peace.

Just wanted to offer a little sympathy, have always thought Doncaster to be a good club and can empathise with watching your team go through a really dark patch.

I hope this might be some crumb of comfort, but we are in a false position and our results so far really don't tell the full story. It's taken us time to get up to speed and we were on the wrong end of some highly unfortunate twists of fate in our first few games which cost us dearly. We've carried a threat from the off, but have been waiting on key players at centre half and central midfield to become fit and available and have been struggling to control games and do the ugly side as a result. We finally have a settled and fit defence which has seen us improve no end in the last three games, the icing on the cake last night was Sam Morsy being available for the first time (we bought him at the start of a 3 match ban). Subsequently we went from having little bite in midfield to being very difficult to dispossess and adept at winning the ball back.

In short, the Ipswich side you played last night was a different animal to the one which had been fighting with one hand tied behind it's back previously.

I'm sure that doesn't help much, but I understand you also made several key changes that weakened your side. It was a perfect storm.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, I sincerely hope you can turn it around.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Ipswich - some context
« Reply #1 on September 29, 2021, 11:32:10 pm by idler »
Thanks Jim, we live in hope and a lot of us have seen worse.
Hopefully things will turn around soon.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 29, 2021, 11:35:16 pm by The Beast »
Thanks Jim, I think a player like Morsy is the main asset we are missing, a player who we couldn’t sign in a million years! Having said that we are lacking all over the park but an enforcer could definitely paper over a few of the cracks.
I noticed you had a massive turnover of players in the summer, just like us but with a massive gulf in their quality. I’m sure you’ll be up there in the top six come May!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 30, 2021, 06:59:10 am by roversdude »
Thanks Jim you certainly made it look like men against boys. We keep showing signs of being a decent improving side and then wham we put in a gutless shocking performance like that. Good luck really hope you end up in an automatic spot

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 30, 2021, 07:04:40 am by Spud »
Cheers Jim.
Read a couple of comments on here saying you played poorly, I thought you were good tbh.
We were utter dog shite though, & by all accounts the scoreline could have been even bigger.
Hopefully give you a better game at the 'moat.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 30, 2021, 07:40:41 am by DonnyOsmond »
I was thinking we were in a false position topo until recently. We've signed a whole new team, we only had one player playing who was here last season and we've had injuries to all our front 3 until the last couple of weeks.

SouperJim

« Reply #6 on September 30, 2021, 07:46:11 am by SouperJim »
I understand why you'd question the manager, we were exactly the same just a handful of games ago when Bolton put 5 past us. But what I would say is you came out second half bravely, made changes and tried to take the game to us to get back in it. Unfortunately that gave us opportunities on the counter and then there was a mad 10 minutes where it was very one sided, but had you come out to shut up and get 11 behind the ball I don't think the scoreline would have ended up where it did.

Of course you could say that's tactically a bit naive, but if I had travelled a long way on a miserable Tuesday night and my team are 2-0 down at half time, I'd be absolutely livid if they didn't come out 2nd half and have a go... can't have it both ways I guess.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 30, 2021, 08:56:04 am by Campsall rover »
Thanks for your kind words Jim.
Yes we need a very good October now with some easier fixtures on paper although no such thing as an easy fixture.  :zzz:

I tipped Ipswich to win the league before a ball was kicked. Your squad looks very strong on paper.
There is no doubt you have been underachieving up to your game with us.
I expect you to go on a consistent run of positive results now and would be very surprised if you do not finish in the top 4
Still think top 2 is possible for you this season. Good luck.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012