Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:33:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Points update.....  (Read 2672 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Points update.....
« on April 13, 2013, 09:31:04 pm by normal rules »
im sure there are hundreds sat with pen and paper and drink tonight working out permatations!
its two from five now for autos!

Rovers can max out now with 87 points if win last two.

Bournemouth can get 85 if win both.

Brentford can get 86 but they will have to beat blunts and us.

Blades can only get 85 points and have to play Brentford. They have to win all four (big ask)

Yeovil can make 83 if they win last 3 games.

These are the five teams in with a shout of autos. The blunts brentford game has hug implications for rovers and a draw is best outcome. Blunts win being second best. Brentford winning by two or more goals is nightmare due to GD.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
Re: Points update.....
« Reply #1 on April 13, 2013, 09:38:10 pm by drfc1951 »
Blades beat Brentford ,we beat Notts County and Portsmouth draw with Blades.Ithink that guarantees promotion.Thats all next week so hopefully doesnt come down to last game.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 13, 2013, 09:45:04 pm by streatham dave »
If we win the next match then assuming our opponents get max points the worst we can finish is third. A key match is the Sheff U vs Brentford game. Clearly they can't both win. If they draw then only Bournmouth and Brentford can catch us. If Brentford win only Bournmouth and Brentford can catch us. If Sheff U win only Bournmouth and Sheff U can catch us. A win and a draw see us up and probably as champions in the first two instances. A high scoring win in either of the last two matches and a draw see us up in the third Scenario. Hope that makes sense.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 13, 2013, 09:46:31 pm by Bessie Red »
Drfc1951 promotion would not be guaranteed with your scenario because Brentford could beat us on last day & top us on GD.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 13, 2013, 09:49:35 pm by PaulRover08 »
Drfc1951 promotion would not be guaranteed with your scenario because Brentford could beat us on last day & top us on GD.

No they couldn't/ DRFC1951's scenario is exactly how I see it too. If Brentford lose to the Blades as suggested then they would be 4 behind with 2 to play so a win v County for us will mean we are up if Blades drop points at Pompey. That is unless Brentford can get 4 points for a win from somewhere.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 14, 2013, 01:04:35 am by Bessie Red »
You are correct Paulrover (& you drfc1951) I didn't allow for the point made about the blades drawing at pompey in drfc1951's post. Its all very exciting is it not!!

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 14, 2013, 07:27:32 am by aidanstu »
As i have said on another thread  we can go up on Saturday but the following must happen first.
We must win
Brentford must drop 3 pts before sat night
Sheffield utd must drop 2 points before Sat night

If this happens we go up and if Bournemouth lose on Saturday we are champions. As long as all the above happen.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 14, 2013, 09:57:09 am by Superspy »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Brentford beat  theBlades on Tuesday, we win on Saturday and Bournmouth lose, then we don't need Brentford to drop any points as they would be the only team at that point who could catch us. We only need Brentford to drop points if Bournmouth pick up a point.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 14, 2013, 09:58:41 am by DonnyNoel »
The bbc site lists the Hartlepool vs Brentford game kicking off at 5.20 which I hadn't noticed. Thats a bit of a shame in so much as we may get promoted on Saturday but not know it at full time whistle. Still - as this week has shown, we've just got to concentrate on Notts County.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 14, 2013, 10:05:28 am by IDM »
Superspy, if Bournemouth don't win on Saturday and we do, we're going to finish ahead of the Cherries.  If we win on Saturday there is no scenario where Brentford AND Sheff Utd can both overtake us, so all the talk of Bees/Blades is irrelevant if Bournemouth lose or draw.

Whatever, we have to win.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 14, 2013, 10:14:46 am by Superspy »
Indeed. All I can say is that I really really hope that if we're going to get promoted on Saturday it's as a result of Bournmouth losing rather than brentford/blades dropping points, and the only reason I say that is because Brentford's game is a 5:20 kick off, which means if we're relying on them dropping points to find out whether we're promoted, we won't be in the ground to celebrate :(

edwingray

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 14, 2013, 10:19:53 am by edwingray »
Your ideal scenario is probably a draw between Sheff U and Brentford. You'd still need to beat Notts C and the whole thing will probably go to the last day, but at least you'd be in the driving seat.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 14, 2013, 10:26:55 am by Superspy »
We're in the driving seat anyway because, as IDM alluded to, if we beat County then Sheff U and Brentford can't both catch us. Based purely on the fact that Brentford's game is a 5:20 kick off, I'd rather Sheff U win on Tuesday, because at least then come 5 PM on Saturday we'll know what's going on irrespective of Brentford's result.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2013, 10:43:31 am by MiKA »
Indeed. All I can say is that I really really hope that if we're going to get promoted on Saturday it's as a result of Bournmouth losing rather than brentford/blades dropping points, and the only reason I say that is because Brentford's game is a 5:20 kick off, which means if we're relying on them dropping points to find out whether we're promoted, we won't be in the ground to celebrate :(

If that did look like happening perhaps the Brentford game could be shown in the KM Bar!     :clapping:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2013, 10:55:18 am by The Red Baron »

A couple of weeks ago I said to a mate that I thought we might get promoted- or even clinch the title- without kicking a ball. That was because of the Hartlepool- Brentford game at 5.20 next Sat and because of the Blunts' trip to Crewe the following Tuesday.

Rovers have "previous" in this respect. I refer back to the 1965-66 season in Div 4.

Nevertheless, when Rovers visited Bradford City on Monday 16th May, 1966, they were in pole position by two points. Paul Durrant replaced the injured Jeffrey, the only change from Crewe. The first half was dull and scrappy, but on 52 minutes, Durrant gave Rovers the lead after Gilfillan’s shot had been pushed onto the bar. Shortly after, Durrant hit the post, but Rovers looked safe until the last minute when Bannister ran through to equalise. Despite claims of offside, the score stood. 1-1. On the same night, Darlington beat Colchester, 2-0. If the Quakers and Torquay drew, the title would come to Belle Vue.

And so it came to pass…..On Saturday 21st May, Darlington and Torquay drew 0-0, finishing second and third respectively. Colchester came fourth. Rovers had won their first title since winning Division 3 (North) in 1949-50.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2013, 11:16:44 am by Superspy »
I actually thought it might happen myself, although I thought it would be due to the Blades/Brentford game (I thought we might beat Carlisle at that point, more fool me, haha).

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 14, 2013, 12:15:40 pm by RedJ »

If that did look like happening perhaps the Brentford game could be shown in the KM Bar!     :clapping:

Not a bad idea - any chance of this?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012