Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:33:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Green  (Read 38491 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Paul Green
« Reply #90 on July 14, 2016, 09:33:15 pm by steve@dcfd »
I judged Paul Greens Performance against Rossington
He controlled the midfield.
Now looking at Paul in the Championship he may have looked poor. But apart from Rowe every other midfield player we had last season would be no better.
McCullough in midfield looks a good prospect but he still believes he's a central defender.
With Baudry out Wright not ready yet maybe next week, McCullough may be required at Centre Defence to start with that's if he is still here?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on July 14, 2016, 09:40:11 pm by dknward2 »
My cousin bumped into him in the club shop earlier along with Copps and apparently they were buying shirts for their kids... 2+2=5?

what names did they have on the back???

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on July 14, 2016, 09:54:48 pm by Copps is Magic »
Maybe he's just a fan of the beautifully designed and hand-crafted Thai home shirt.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 15, 2016, 12:15:24 am by Sammy Chung was King »
My lad just sent me pic with Copps & Greeny in the club shop & he stated the same about buying kit for their kids.

What are they doing?, they should have waited for them to go down in price. Gordon Brown's been on the blower and advised them, they will be sold out any day now!.

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on July 15, 2016, 09:53:09 am by Donny Dub »
Best bit o' news I've had this Summer - I hope we can sign him up again.
His attitude is first class, what a worker, he'd be an inspirational member of our squad next season.
He was'nt very popular with Irish fans in Trapattoni's ROI team.  Trapattoni really liked him, he thought that he had found an Irish Genarro Gattuso and what a runner and battler Gattuso was too.
Good luck!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on July 15, 2016, 10:08:16 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, I recall Copps referring to players transferring  to clubs thinking "The grass is greener". I always thought this was a reference to Greeny himself.

It didn't sit right that Greeny was lining up for the opposition in our first game in the Championship. Not levelling any criticism at Greeny as no one can begrudge a player trying to better himself. You wonder however whether Greeny would like to end his career where it started and help us back up the leagues.

I hope he's hungry and fit enough to make an impact.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on July 15, 2016, 10:39:43 am by NickDRFC »
"The grass is Greener" is said when a player moves on an apparently upward step but finds his career going backwards. There's no way that you could say that with Green - he's had 8 years in the Championship since leaving us and played 20 odd times at international level. He's done really well for himself since leaving and (in my opinion) got every last drop out of his talent to have a successful second tier career.

Hopefully he does want to come back though - I'd have thought we'd pay decent money for him, probably comparable with what most L1 clubs could/would, and the fact that he has that affinity already established with the club should swing it in our favour.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on July 15, 2016, 10:40:47 am by colincramb »
Best bit o' news I've had this Summer - I hope we can sign him up again.
His attitude is first class, what a worker, he'd be an inspirational member of our squad next season.
He was'nt very popular with Irish fans in Trapattoni's ROI team.  Trapattoni really liked him, he thought that he had found an Irish Genarro Gattuso and what a runner and battler Gattuso was too.
Good luck!

No, he wasn't popular at all! In fact, a couple of Irish lads I know over in Dublin thought that he was the worst player ever to play for them! Tad harsh I thought, given they've had some right cart horses in there over the years

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on July 15, 2016, 12:05:03 pm by idler »
I was speaking to a mate who is a Bradford City fan in the pub.
He knows somebody in the game and was told that ex City player Simon Ainge has signed for Harrogate Town on £800 a week. The Guiseley goalie  Drench has signed for Halifax and he'll be on £900 a week.
What will we have to pay the players that we want?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 15, 2016, 12:26:59 pm by NickDRFC »
I'm not sure I believe either of those, aren't they both in the conference north?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on July 15, 2016, 01:02:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Our new Gallic defensive maestro appears to be injured already so knowing our luck this will be some long term issue that means Luke has to revert back to his unfavoured CB position in the usually disastrous 5/3 formation.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on July 15, 2016, 01:30:16 pm by bedale rover »
Our new Gallic defensive maestro appears to be injured already so knowing our luck this will be some long term issue that means Luke has to revert back to his unfavoured CB position in the usually disastrous 5/3 formation.

That got us to the fringes of the top 6 after being near the bottom 4
Hardly disastrous

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on July 15, 2016, 03:34:11 pm by idler »
I was speaking to a mate who is a Bradford City fan in the pub.
He knows somebody in the game and was told that ex City player Simon Ainge has signed for Harrogate Town on £800 a week. The Guiseley goalie  Drench has signed for Halifax and he'll be on £900 a week.
What will we have to pay the players that we want?
This was from a good source. I wouldn't think that he would exaggerate or pass on something that wasn't true. They might be the top earners at the club. Remember Halifax made a profit on Vardey and think that they could make money on a decent keeper. 
They might also be pushing the boat out to try to bounce straight back up.
We were paying Jamie Patterson and Justin Jackson more than that 15 years or so ago. I know we were a league higher then but still a lot of money.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on July 15, 2016, 04:47:49 pm by drfchound »

Hardly disastrous

I do think it was disastrous, it got us relegated.
Had DF switched to the flat back four three or four games before he eventually did we would have probably stayed up.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on July 15, 2016, 06:44:47 pm by bedale rover »

Hardly disastrous

Had DF switched to the flat back four three or four games before he eventually did we would have probably stayed up.

Hardly disastrous

Swings and roundabouts
Players get you relegated not systems

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 16, 2016, 02:17:12 pm by karldew »
No green today in the line up or on the bench..

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on July 16, 2016, 03:58:18 pm by jonnydog »
Bolton bound

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on July 16, 2016, 04:11:39 pm by The Red Baron »
Bolton bound

He's not in the Bolton side today.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 16, 2016, 04:24:05 pm by drfchound »

Hardly disastrous

Hardly disastrous

Swings and roundabouts
Players get you relegated not systems

.....and so do managers who persist in playing a way which clearly isn't working.
I wonder if you would say Dickov didn't get us relegated?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 16, 2016, 04:27:48 pm by Jonathan »
Can't see Ferguson here today either? Perhaps scouting somewhere?

Edit - correction. He is here so ignore that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:31:33 pm by Jonathan »

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on July 16, 2016, 05:30:21 pm by rich1471 »

not sure when fergie turned up but I cannot remember seeing him from the start

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on July 16, 2016, 05:32:16 pm by Jonathan »

not sure when fergie turned up but I cannot remember seeing him from the start

Yeah, Strachan appeared to be in charge first half. Fergie only seemed to appear late on.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 16, 2016, 05:37:58 pm by Danmckay456 »
I'm sure the green question will be asked by the media

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 16, 2016, 10:03:54 pm by les@donr »
Hope Greeny signs, and sees out his playing days with Rovers, it would be a fitting end to his playing career. Hope then he could be kept at the club in some capacity. A Rovers legend.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on July 18, 2016, 11:42:26 am by Danmckay456 »
Wonder if another midfielder has become available , http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/doncaster-rovers/rovers-news/doncaster-rovers-ferguson-plays-down-paul-green-speculation-1-8018705

As I'm sure Gavin Baldwin mentioned the other day about a permanent transfer being lined up and a couple of loans , mind you he has had conflicting quotes before about signings.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on July 18, 2016, 12:17:29 pm by Jonathan »
Wonder if another midfielder has become available , http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/doncaster-rovers/rovers-news/doncaster-rovers-ferguson-plays-down-paul-green-speculation-1-8018705

As I'm sure Gavin Baldwin mentioned the other day about a permanent transfer being lined up and a couple of loans , mind you he has had conflicting quotes before about signings.

That's the most vague interview I've ever read! Surely there's more to it all. I hope we offer Green a deal and he signs it.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on July 18, 2016, 12:30:33 pm by RobTheRover »
Sign Greeny and I think we are probably close to a title winning side.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on July 18, 2016, 12:39:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think if we sign Green we certainly have a squad capable of promotion or even potentially winning title.

The issue with this lot and with previous couple of seasons is getting them to play together as a team in a recognisable formation and structure, and with a degree of cohesion, effort and backbone, that means they are either the sum of their parts or preferably, greater.

I am afraid recent history has shown Rovers to be the opposite of all these. Basically, good players but totally risible 'team'.

Hope this season breaks that cycle.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on July 18, 2016, 12:41:05 pm by craigdrfc »
The DFP interview tells me that we are 100% interested in signing him .... chip of the old block is Fergie isnt he with his 'smoke screen interviews'.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on July 18, 2016, 12:47:19 pm by steve@dcfd »
Whether it's Paul Green or not we need a midfield player who can link defence to attack. Who can pass a ball consistently and find our players.
The midfield over the last two seasons as been our worst asset. We've signed Tommy Rowe but we still need another player. Having heard before that we could be signing Paul, I thought no, but on the evidence against Rossington he should be that player. He was the best midfield player on show, closely followed by Tommy Rowe and Copps.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012