Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:04:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Supporters Board / Shadow Board  (Read 1999 times)

pib

• Forum Member
Supporters Board / Shadow Board
« on May 12, 2022, 01:22:10 pm by pib »
https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2022/may/shadow-board/

So this communication has come out today, and has obviously raised numerous questions on social media, and has raised a few questions from myself which I thought I'd put out there.

I understand a Supporters Board has been in place for some time, and I apologise if some of these queries go over ground that has been covered before, but at the same time, I don't believe it is fully clear to a lot of supporters what this is and how it operates, so I'd like to ask the following questions to anyone who is currently on the SB or knows how it operates.

This is for my benefit but also believe it would benefit the wider supporter base as it doesn't seem like many people are clear on it.

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to add them to the thread and hopefully those ITK can answer.

• Who is the supporters board/shadow board made up of, and who do they represent?
  • What DO they discuss with the club, and equally what areas DON'T they discuss?
  • What is the selection process for candidates, and what is the election process?
  • Do you have to be a representative of a "group" (VSC, Supporters Club, WSG, Black Bank) to be nominated/selected, or is it open to all supporters?
  • How are discussions and outcomes from SB meetings currently communicated to the supporters, and what, if any, are the future plans to improve/enhance this?

Thanks to anyone who can answer any of the above or help with info.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Supporters Board / Shadow Board
« Reply #1 on May 12, 2022, 01:58:10 pm by Jonathan »
Fair questions that I’m sure somebody involved will be able to answer.

I’d just like to add that this entire discussion ought to take place on the context that everybody that is on the Supporters Board is acting on a voluntary basis, giving up their own time with the intention of making a positive contribution to the club and its supporters. And for that we should all be respectful and grateful.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 12, 2022, 02:46:43 pm by steve@dcfd »
Will the supporters shadow board discuss football related issues. With relevant people.
Such things as performance on the field.
Recruitment of players. Short term and long term ambition of the club and how they propose to accomplish those ambitions and aims.

How will they communicate with the supporters what as been discussed and the outcomes.

There has been a supporters board already, not Shadow, how have the discussions and outcomes been communicated to the general supporters.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 12, 2022, 04:30:57 pm by selby »
  I would say that Silent Majority has communicated as well in the past as any member of any supporter's group has with their dealings with the Board and management of any football club in the land, and at times with little thanks from some quarters.
  They and he has been as open as they can be, have updated us on this forum at regular intervals, and have at every turn as far as I can see have had our best interests in mind with most things that they do and discuss, and go as far as is possible to put our supporters problems forward to the club.
  The fact is there will be subjects and business decisions that they will not be informed of, and personnel information that we as supporters have no real right or need to know, that is business the way it works, if anyone expects to know everything then I am afraid they will be bitterly disappointed, as for asking for the personnel details of the members with the insults and berating of the main Board and it's members by some dunderheads  on social media outlets and even on this forum, but contribute very little as far as making a difference is concerned and mainly just make a noise, being on the second board might not be the greatest job in the world to volunteer for, and hope that these people are given the chance with the club, but more so with the majority of our clubs supporters to make things better for everyone. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 04:37:50 pm by selby »

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 12, 2022, 04:35:37 pm by Lincoln Rover »

So this communication has come out today, and has obviously raised numerous questions on social media, and has raised a few questions from myself which I thought I'd put out there.

I understand a Supporters Board has been in place for some time, and I apologise if some of these queries go over ground that has been covered before, but at the same time, I don't believe it is fully clear to a lot of supporters what this is and how it operates, so I'd like to ask the following questions to anyone who is currently on the SB or knows how it operates.

This is for my benefit but also believe it would benefit the wider supporter base as it doesn't seem like many people are clear on it.

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to add them to the thread and hopefully those ITK can answer.

• Who is the supporters board/shadow board made up of, and who do they represent?
  • What DO they discuss with the club, and equally what areas DON'T they discuss?
  • What is the selection process for candidates, and what is the election process?
  • Do you have to be a representative of a "group" (VSC, Supporters Club, WSG, Black Bank) to be nominated/selected, or is it open to all supporters?
  • How are discussions and outcomes from SB meetings currently communicated to the supporters, and what, if any, are the future plans to improve/enhance this?

Pib
There’s a link on the main Rovers website under supporters board showing who is on, with a few tweaks here & there, which will be reflected soon.
We have representation from all age groups( within reason), men, women, all parts of the ground, disabilities etc.
We do NOT discuss tactics, formations & whether we can afford Messi, Ronaldo & a young Copps. We hold the club to account on ST, catering, ticketing issues, parking, programmes etc etc.
I suppose in a simplistic way we are a “ sounding  board” for the club & fans. We agree, we disagree & trust me the club listens & acts whenever possible. I don’t want to take up this entire section but I’m proud to be the chair of the new Shadow Board which has evolved from the Supporters Board to show OUR club is WAY ahead of many many others.
All of us are volunteers who give up our Saturday morning for several home matches & occasionally midweek.
The minutes are there for all to read & I’m more than willing to answer sensible questions put in a polite manner.
Thanks.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 12, 2022, 05:11:41 pm by silent majority »
Will the supporters shadow board discuss football related issues. With relevant people.
Recruitment of players. Short term and long term ambition of the club and how they propose to accomplish those ambitions and aims.

How will they communicate with the supporters what as been discussed and the outcomes.

There has been a supporters board already, not Shadow, how have the discussions and outcomes been communicated to the general supporters.

No, the Shadow Board is not there to discuss footballing issues, the sole purpose is the business side of the club.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 12, 2022, 05:16:45 pm by silent majority »

The club have jumped the gun on the Shadow Board idea as it's been a part of the Fan Led Review and was a key recommendation.

We thought it might be good to set the standard rather than wait for others to do it.

To understand it fully you need to read the section on Fan Engagement in the review recommendations as there's quite a bit to understand. A good place to satrt would be here;

https://thefsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Football-Fan-led-Governance-Review.pdf

Page 93 onwards is relevant.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 12, 2022, 07:01:16 pm by since-1969 »

No, the Shadow Board is not there to discuss footballing issues, the sole purpose is the business side of the club.
So no point in  putting signing suggestions then . Shame !!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 08:19:18 pm by since-1969 »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 12, 2022, 07:20:20 pm by steve@dcfd »

Ok thankyou for letting us know I thought it would be business it’s shame some football issues couldn’t be discussed but that up to the agenda set.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 13, 2022, 09:34:33 am by pib »

Pib
There’s a link on the main Rovers website under supporters board showing who is on, with a few tweaks here & there, which will be reflected soon.
We have representation from all age groups( within reason), men, women, all parts of the ground, disabilities etc.
We do NOT discuss tactics, formations & whether we can afford Messi, Ronaldo & a young Copps. We hold the club to account on ST, catering, ticketing issues, parking, programmes etc etc.
I suppose in a simplistic way we are a “ sounding  board” for the club & fans. We agree, we disagree & trust me the club listens & acts whenever possible. I don’t want to take up this entire section but I’m proud to be the chair of the new Shadow Board which has evolved from the Supporters Board to show OUR club is WAY ahead of many many others.
All of us are volunteers who give up our Saturday morning for several home matches & occasionally midweek.
The minutes are there for all to read & I’m more than willing to answer sensible questions put in a polite manner.
Thanks.

Hi LR, thanks for the response.

I'm sure your last line there was a more general one, but I hope it doesn't come across like I'm asking these questions on here out of anything more than genuine interest and curiosity, and certainly I don't think I've been any less than polite. I would understand, given the current toxic social media climate around the club, if folk felt a bit guarded in the way they answer questions, but I hope it comes across that I'm not being adversarial about any of this or trying to put anyone in a "gotcha" situation.

I have read through the section on the website and it, combined with your answers, have been helpful. I still do have a couple of areas I feel haven't been answered - perhaps that's because they're still being worked out, which is fine if so.

The main one being, in simplistic terms, if any regular supporter like me, who isn't a member of or affiliated with any particular group, wanted to get involved in this, is that a possibility? I know it has been stated there are elections in 12 months, but do we know how this is going to work yet, and how one would stand for election? There's been a lot of scepticism about the way individuals have been selected/elected - Minus the personal digs/nastiness that has gone with that, I think there is a valid point, which is where/when/how did the people in the room standing for election get there? And are there any plans for that process to be made more democratic?

Maybe I and many others have missed something, but I haven't seen anything in the public domain to say "We have a supporters board now, put your name down to be involved" so I'm interested in the process behind that.

I think rightly or wrongly, there's a palpable feeling that only certain people/groups are having their views represented, and I suppose there are people feeling frustrated that they're not being heard, but don't have the platform to do so because this process seemingly hasn't been opened up to all supporters.

I've read through some of the minutes, which has been helpful in shedding a bit more light, but I don't think it's still fully transparent who is on there and who has the opportunity to get their voice heard. For example, on the supporters board page, it says the members are: Patrick Queen, John Blanchon, Derek Daniels, James Errington, Paul Mayfield, Martin O’Hara, Alan Roberts, Gill Shepherd, Mellony Shepherd, Len South and Ben Thompson.  In the meeting minutes from 26th March, Daniel Pearson (who I have nothing against btw) is not listed as an attendee, nor a member of the board above, but presented his thoughts to Gavin Baldwin about footballing matters at the club. There are other names that pop up where it's not clear what their involvement is too, but I just picked out that one example. This is not a complaint as such, but again something where transparency might help to quieten some of the scepticism out there perhaps.

The club have jumped the gun on the Shadow Board idea as it's been a part of the Fan Led Review and was a key recommendation.

We thought it might be good to set the standard rather than wait for others to do it.

To understand it fully you need to read the section on Fan Engagement in the review recommendations as there's quite a bit to understand. A good place to satrt would be here;

https://thefsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Football-Fan-led-Governance-Review.pdf

Page 93 onwards is relevant.

Thanks SM. Will make the time to have a read when I have chance. Been on 4G so was struggling to download it initially.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 13, 2022, 10:44:10 am by Lincoln Rover »
Pib.
Just to clarify that certainly wasn’t a dig at you AT ALL. Your question(s) are fine & I thank you for that.
I’m simply a believer in that politeness & respect should be promoted & I apologise if you thought I was aiming in your direction.
In terms of getting elected, could you PLEASE leave that one with me as we are working through the new protocols from the fan led review. Please feel free to contact me via PM on this site & I’ll keep you updated if that’s ok. In short we have evolved from the a group of supporters meeting to assist & challenge the club with myself writing to the club offering my services I’d guess seven years ago & I was asked on from there. All the new processes are being worked through & we will then report back to the new Shadow board for their views. Hope this helps? Thanks. Derek.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 13, 2022, 11:03:47 am by pib »
Pib.
Just to clarify that certainly wasn’t a dig at you AT ALL. Your question(s) are fine & I thank you for that.
I’m simply a believer in that politeness & respect should be promoted & I apologise if you thought I was aiming in your direction.
In terms of getting elected, could you PLEASE leave that one with me as we are working through the new protocols from the fan led review. Please feel free to contact me via PM on this site & I’ll keep you updated if that’s ok. In short we have evolved from the a group of supporters meeting to assist & challenge the club with myself writing to the club offering my services I’d guess seven years ago & I was asked on from there. All the new processes are being worked through & we will then report back to the new Shadow board for their views. Hope this helps? Thanks. Derek.

Yes, very helpful. Thank you Derek.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 13, 2022, 03:09:52 pm by Jonathan »

Ok thankyou for letting us know I thought it would be business it’s shame some football issues couldn’t be discussed but that up to the agenda set.

I feel that involving fans in footballing decisions could set a dangerous precedent. That’s not to say there aren’t valuable views out there - I’m not being disrespectful to fans as I’m one! But you don’t have to look to far to find that, if we took on the views of the most vocal supporters, we’d literally be recruiting a new manager and set of players every three weeks maximum.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 13, 2022, 08:15:16 pm by idler »
What happens when you have six fans with six different views/ideas?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 13, 2022, 08:22:26 pm by turnbull for england »
What happens when you have six fans with six different views/ideas?

It's bad enough with two in here

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 13, 2022, 09:54:47 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I reckon it’s a secret society, secret handshakes and all that!  :blush:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 14, 2022, 12:03:36 pm by steve@dcfd »

I feel that involving fans in footballing decisions could set a dangerous precedent. That’s not to say there aren’t valuable views out there - I’m not being disrespectful to fans as I’m one! But you don’t have to look to far to find that, if we took on the views of the most vocal supporters, we’d literally be recruiting a new manager and set of players every three weeks maximum.
Now I’ve read the minutes of the meetings I can see what is discussed

TinyPortal © 2005-2012