Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:18:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ipswich after Billy again  (Read 13752 times)

benaldo

• Forum Member
Re: Ipswich after Billy again
« Reply #60 on October 28, 2011, 07:17:42 pm by benaldo »
Who knows what will happen? It's a transition period for Rovers right now. Some think it's exciting (me included), others think the world has ended. God, I remember being beside myself when Paul Barnes left belle vue, but things move on. ps, for those who don't know, he was the most consistant striker in the last many many years. And a complete legend. His goals got us out of the conference. Fact! Then look what happened.

Billy Sharp leaving will not be the end of the world. Trust me.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 28, 2011, 07:18:11 pm by wilts rover »
If he does go I wish him well, can't fault anything he has done for us in the past 2 and half years and he is bound to double if not treble his wages - plus get a shot at playing in the Premiership. I just wonder though ife he was wavering about the deal - how much the abuse he got on Twitter a couple of weeks ago about the derby game might have swayed his mind?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 28, 2011, 07:39:11 pm by NickDRFC »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=194968
Who knows what will happen? It's a transition period for Rovers right now. Some think it's exciting (me included), others think the world has ended. God, I remember being beside myself when Paul Barnes left belle vue, but things move on. ps, for those who don't know, he was the most consistant striker in the last many many years. And a complete legend. His goals got us out of the conference. Fact! Then look what happened.

Not sure about Barnes bring the most consistent striker of recent years to be honest benaldo, for every goal he got he missed at least one or two others. Big fan of Big Barnesey and his goals played a big part in getting us put of the conference but I'd argue that Heffs, Sharp, perhaps even Blundell were more consistent for us and more effective.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on October 28, 2011, 07:51:38 pm by bobbymax »
Talk about adding up two and two and making five. This forum resembles nothing more than a party can of paranoia nowadays. I've even read somewhere that because BS hasn't replied to a tweet confirms he's off. FSS, some people need to start living in the real world.:headbang:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 28, 2011, 07:57:20 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"NickDRFC\" post=194972

Not sure about Barnes bring the most consistent striker of recent years to be honest benaldo, for every goal he got he missed at least one or two others. Big fan of Big Barnesey and his goals played a big part in getting us put of the conference but I'd argue that Heffs, Sharp, perhaps even Blundell were more consistent for us and more effective.

EH?????!!

Paul Barnes scored more goals for Rovers over a shorter period than Blundell and Heffernan! In fact, I think I'm right in saying that he was the last person to have two seasons back to back anywhere near 20 goals each season??!

It doesn't matter how many goals you miss if you are still scoring more than anyone else, surely!?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 28, 2011, 08:06:10 pm by Wellred »
4 pages of absolute b******s

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on October 28, 2011, 08:07:23 pm by Red wizard »
Barnes only got 31 goals total. Good player mind.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on October 28, 2011, 08:12:17 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=194976
4 pages of absolute b******s

And you know everything?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 28, 2011, 08:17:25 pm by Wellred »
Didn't say I did. I heard if Billy is sold John Ryan is making a comeback until the end of the season in order to reduce the wage bill.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on October 28, 2011, 08:19:07 pm by NickDRFC »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=194975
Quote from: \"NickDRFC\" post=194972

EH?????!!

Paul Barnes scored more goals for Rovers over a shorter period than Blundell and Heffernan! In fact, I think I'm right in saying that he was the last person to have two seasons back to back anywhere near 20 goals each season??!

It doesn't matter how many goals you miss if you are still scoring more than anyone else, surely!?

Not disputing he did a great job for us, not sure he had a back to back record like you say though. He may have got 20 the year we went up. However, he missed an awful lot of chances, and I would wager big money that had we signed Blundell at the start of the season he'd have got 30. But I guess we'll never know.

As an aside, one of my saddest moments as a Rovers fan was that tremendous comeback at Cambridge, stormed back from 3-0 to 3-3 when an injury time penalty gives us a chance for the icing on the cake. Barnes steps up; time for a well deserved first football league goal for Rovers, but then he missed it! And then got shipped out to Tamworth a few days later.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on October 28, 2011, 08:21:19 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=194951
If John Ryan wants us to 'fight tooth and nail' to stay in the Championship, his next logical step wouldn't be to sell our best player, would it?

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I won't be panicking over a bit of speculation.

Sorry but when did Billy become our best player? He scores a few goals, fouls a few players, gives free kicks away left right and centre and gets the mard on so does that make hime our \"best player\"?. Far from our \"best player\" in my opinion,and at the moment you have to question whether he is our best goal scorer :chair:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 28, 2011, 08:45:05 pm by RoversAlias »
I think we should get Paul Barnes back if Sharp heads off next week. What harm could it do? ;)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 28, 2011, 09:12:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"DRFCBRADFORD\" post=194967
Quote from: \"steve@dcfd\" post=194943
Why would Billy not be training Thursday and Friday is he ill or injured?
Could there be any truth in the rumours?

where has this info come from he hasnt been training thurs and fri?

If you'd gone down to the park thurs/ Friday you would have a big surprise.
If you'd gone down to the park Thurs/ Friday  you would never believe your eyes.
All the squad was training there.
Where was Billy, it could be a scare.

I walk past the training ground and Thursday and Friday aswell as last Monday Billy was no where to be seen. He could be illl or injured but he was not training.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on October 28, 2011, 09:19:22 pm by drfc1951 »
Quote from: \"DRFCBRADFORD\" post=194926
if billy does not replies to the tweets rovers fans have sent him he is off shame.He only signed for us due to giving him 1st team football , SOD being the manager and he liked the way we played football .I think the leeds game was the final straw ,SOD had gone saunders came in and started playin hoof ball ,he left blunts due to them playing hoofball.
I also think saunders has lost the plot already and the dressing room .

Unbelievable,what a load of b*llocks.We resorted to the long ball against Leeds, because our midfield couldnt create anything by passing on the ground.
how many times did Sharp have a hissy fit last season when things didnt go the way he wanted.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on October 28, 2011, 10:26:12 pm by Draytonian III »
Players will always leave football clubs,fact. Anyone who is employed and offered better money/wages for doing the same job elsewhere will leave.The only loyal thing about a football club is it,s CORE support. A loyal player now is one that stops 3 seasons . 30 years ago a loyal player was one that stopped 10 years.Not that I want Billy to leave as I rate him the 3rd best goalscorer in my time supporting Rovers ,behind Peter Kitchen and Colin Cramb . A forum is about opinions

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on October 29, 2011, 07:49:39 am by Jonathan »
I don't think Billy will be the only one to leave.

Whether you're in favour of the changes or against them, nobody can deny that certain consequences will arise as a result. Some will say the departure of current players is a good thing, some will say they are paid well by the club so shouldn't have an opinion on the direction it's taking as they are well remunerated to put up with it. Fact is there are players to whom football matters as well as money.

I don't think Billy will leave us just for the money, if that was all he was after he would never have signed. And that is a fact.

I'm fed up with hearing and reading the continually shifting reasons for (and conditions of) the changes we are putting in place. The goalposts move every few days each time something else needs to be justified.

May as well just wait and see what happens for now. Personally I'm finding it hard to feel much for the club at the moment, at least until I have some idea what we're actually trying to do.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on October 29, 2011, 08:13:50 am by Spud »
Sean built a team of footballers, at the min we`re playing hoofball therefore i wouldn`t be surprised to see any or all of the current team looking for pastures new. quality players such as Billy, Oster and Stock look like fish out of water, not sure wtf they`re supposed to be doing.
Jonathan i know exactly how you feel, your post on another thread the other day summed up my sentiments to a tee, maybe it`s inevitable that the bigger a club gets the less intimate it will feel to the core support. As a season ticket holder i`m not sure i can even be bothered going today tho i probably will.
I look forward to us actually playing football again hopefully soon, unfortunately in these times business decisions come before football decisions :-(

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on October 29, 2011, 08:50:58 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Spud\" post=195017
Sean built a team of footballers, at the min we`re playing hoofball therefore i wouldn`t be surprised to see any or all of the current team looking for pastures new. quality players such as Billy, Oster and Stock look like fish out of water, not sure wtf they`re supposed to be doing.
Jonathan i know exactly how you feel, your post on another thread the other day summed up my sentiments to a tee, maybe it`s inevitable that the bigger a club gets the less intimate it will feel to the core support. As a season ticket holder i`m not sure i can even be bothered going today tho i probably will.
I look forward to us actually playing football again hopefully soon, unfortunately in these times business decisions come before football decisions :-(

Unbelievable. Where are we supposed to be playing all this \"hoofball\" you refer to? We didn't play it in the 2nd half of the Palace game. We didn't play it in the 2nd half of the Hull game. We certainly didn't play it at Peterborough or Blackpool. We were beaten by a far better team when we played Leeds and we were rubbish and we were beaten at Portsmouth by a team who wanted it more than us and a defence that couldn't defend properly.

Tell me how these \"quality players\" managed to get us to the bottom of the table and not win a game for 19 matches.

Yes Billy will go at some point and I hope we get decent money for him, not the peanuts that Ipswich are talking about.
Stock and Oster? Don't make me laugh nobody is going to pay a penny for either of them.

You know what. Reading your post anyone would think you would prefer it if we actually didn't win today.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on October 29, 2011, 09:01:23 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=195012

Whether you're in favour of the changes or against them, nobody can deny that certain consequences will arise as a result. Some will say the departure of current players is a good thing, some will say they are paid well by the club so shouldn't have an opinion on the direction it's taking as they are well remunerated to put up with it. Fact is there are players to whom football matters as well as money.

I don't think Billy will leave us just for the money, if that was all he was after he would never have signed. And that is a fact.

I'm fed up with hearing and reading the continually shifting reasons for (and conditions of) the changes we are putting in place. The goalposts move every few days each time something else needs to be justified.

May as well just wait and see what happens for now. Personally I'm finding it hard to feel much for the club at the moment, at least until I have some idea what we're actually trying to do.

My sentiments as well!

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on October 29, 2011, 09:31:04 am by drfc1951 »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=195023
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=195012

Come back Ken we need you.

My sentiments as well!

prince

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on October 29, 2011, 09:49:16 am by prince »
Why do we have to let him go for so cheap, apart from being massive mugs? I can't imagine many other teams would let a 24 year old, 20 goal a season striker go for less than £4million tbh.

Now we are apparently going to accept £1.5mil? We paid £1.3 when he was an unproven winger at Sheffield United.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 29, 2011, 09:53:46 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »

Leaked pic of the Sharp contract negotiations, in a sleazy motel near Junction 53.
© The Sun

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on October 29, 2011, 09:54:37 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"prince\" post=195032
Why do we have to let him go for so cheap, apart from being massive mugs? I can't imagine many other teams would let a 24 year old, 20 goal a season striker go for less than £4million tbh.

Now we are apparently going to accept £1.5mil? We paid £1.3 when he was an unproven winger at Sheffield United.

We`ve a history of doing it, we sold Brian Deane for £40k to Sheffield United, who then sold him for £2.9M! Mark Rankine and Rufus Brevitt went on the cheap, as did the Snodin`s and more recently Mcindoe

prince

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on October 29, 2011, 10:01:48 am by prince »
Maybe the board need to start entering negotiations with a bit more mettle and if they have to sell players, sell them on the valuation of the player, not the club. Might help the debt problem too.

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on October 29, 2011, 10:35:53 am by lee.j09 »
he hasnt even gone what are u all going on about

think posotive thoughts he will stay

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on October 29, 2011, 10:38:47 am by Wellred »
You are on the wrong forum mate. Positive thoughts not allowed on here.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on October 29, 2011, 12:38:00 pm by Spud »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=195022
Quote from: \"Spud\" post=195017

Unbelievable. Where are we supposed to be playing all this \"hoofball\" you refer to? We didn't play it in the 2nd half of the Palace game. We didn't play it in the 2nd half of the Hull game. We certainly didn't play it at Peterborough or Blackpool. We were beaten by a far better team when we played Leeds and we were rubbish and we were beaten at Portsmouth by a team who wanted it more than us and a defence that couldn't defend properly.

Tell me how these \"quality players\" managed to get us to the bottom of the table and not win a game for 19 matches.

Yes Billy will go at some point and I hope we get decent money for him, not the peanuts that Ipswich are talking about.
Stock and Oster? Don't make me laugh nobody is going to pay a penny for either of them.

You know what. Reading your post anyone would think you would prefer it if we actually didn't win today.

If you dont think stock and yes Oster are quality footballers then i`d love to know how long you`ve been watching rovers play?
Yes we`ve been on a bad run and things did need freshening up after punching above our weight for 3 years now.
And dont anyone tell me we desrved to beat a very poor Pace side cos we didn`t. Against Hull admitteldy we were better for parts of the game but not all of it. Cant comment on the away games as i haven`t been to one for a while now but DS admitted we were lucky to beat Posh. Against Leeds we were awful.
Like i said i hope things settle down soon and we get back to playing some form of football, that`s what i go to the Keepmoat for. If results were the be all and end all i`d sit home and watch final score.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on October 29, 2011, 12:59:18 pm by firestarter »
Well he is not at the ground today... my son just text t @ay he has all the players except billy arrive...trouble at mill??

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on October 29, 2011, 01:16:31 pm by Al4475 »
Sharp not in matchday squad. 3 changes, Martis, Naylor and Haytor in the team for Oster, Sharp and Hird.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on October 29, 2011, 01:16:34 pm by MrFrost »
Confirmed on Radio Sheff. Doesn't indicate why

TinyPortal © 2005-2012