Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:52:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wilson at Walsall  (Read 2624 times)

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
Wilson at Walsall
« on October 28, 2011, 10:57:52 am by Alonzo Drake »
Looks like Mark isn't in Dean's plans.

From the Saddlers' Official Site:

SADDLERS STRENGTHEN
Posted on: Fri 28 Oct 2011

THE SADDLERS have completed the one-month loan signing of midfielder, Mark Wilson from Championship outfit, Doncaster Rovers, subject to the necessary clearance being received.

The 32 year-old started his career with Manchester United where he progressed through the ranks before turning professional in August 1997.

During his time at Old Trafford he was loaned out to Wrexham as well as making a handful of senior appearances for The Red Devils before Middlesbrough paid £1.5 million to secure his services in the summer of 2001.

\"Mark is an experienced player who knows the game well,\" said Saddlers' manager, Dean Smith. \"He has played a lot of games at Championship level and we are pleased that Doncaster have allowed him to come here.

\"He's a good passer of the ball, who has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. I played alongside him very briefly at Sheffield Wednesday and he is a player that I know all about.

\"He's the type of player who can step straight into the side and do a job. He's been playing regular reserve team football recently and has been training well at Doncaster, so he is chomping at the bit to get some competitive action under his belt and show us what he can do.

\"He has the right pedigree and that fact that Doncaster have allowed him to play in the FA Cup is an added bonus.\"

Wilson will wear squad number 24 and, once the necessary clearance is received, stands by to make his debut against MK Dons on Saturday.

Loan spells at Stoke City, Swansea City, Sheffield Wednesday - where he played alongside Saddlers' boss, Dean Smith - Doncaster Rovers and Livingston came during his time in the north-east before he headed out to America with FC Dallas in 2005.

Upon returning to these shores, the former England Under-21 International joined Doncaster Rovers and has gone on  to play over 150 games for the club as a composed and hard-working midfield man.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

prince

• Forum Member
Re: Wilson at Walsall
« Reply #1 on October 28, 2011, 11:01:37 am by prince »
Huzzaah!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 28, 2011, 11:03:35 am by mushRTID »
Might be a nice lad but an incredibly ineffective and average footballer.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 28, 2011, 11:06:07 am by Red wizard »
Was hoping he would get a chance. Under rated imo and he would be a better bet than Gilly. Would ngive us a bit more height and strengh in the middle. I also think Stock plays better with him there. Just hope Woods is not to far away.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 28, 2011, 11:07:54 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Decent bloke for sure, but you can't see how he'd fit with new players coming in.  Telling he's not even been a sub under Saunders has he?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 28, 2011, 11:34:12 am by jonnydog »
[attachment=855]TheDailyGoalMachine.jpg[/attachment]

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 28, 2011, 11:46:15 am by Padge_DRFC »
Since when has he been playing regular reserve team football?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 28, 2011, 12:16:46 pm by RoversAlias »
Maybe means he's played all the BCD games recently?

Wilson is one of my favourite players but it isn't really for his quality on the pitch. He's getting on a bit now and whilst I always liked the idea of him stepping onto the coaching side under SOD/ROK if this is the end of Wilson's DRFC career it might be best for both parties. I hope he does well at Walsall.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 28, 2011, 12:57:52 pm by VivaRovers »
I really rate Wilson, but suspected Saunders wouldn't. However, even so, the timing of this seems a little odd given Oster's injury and Woods and Keegan not at full fitness? We don't currently have many central midfielders at our disposal.

I expected Wilson to go out on loan... but only when others were properly back in the fold. Unless this means Woods is actually fit.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 28, 2011, 01:07:06 pm by Spud »
Average at best but a likeable guy who deserves to be playing first team football at some level. Good luck to him.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 28, 2011, 03:59:47 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Good Luck Mark Wilson, you were never given a fair crack of the whip and average you are not.

VikingJames

« Reply #11 on October 28, 2011, 04:36:26 pm by VikingJames »
This transfer policy gets better with every day! :woot:

:chair:

prince

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 28, 2011, 04:39:35 pm by prince »
Quote from: \"DearneValleyRover\" post=194931
Good Luck Mark Wilson, average you are not.

Bit harsh? No, probably about right.

bigdonnyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 30, 2011, 09:52:39 am by bigdonnyboy »
Just been on the Saddlers fan site and a few quotes are MOTM and a classy player. I don't think we play him in the right role here.

VikingJames

« Reply #14 on October 30, 2011, 11:13:48 am by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"bigdonnyboy\" post=195332
Just been on the Saddlers fan site and a few quotes are MOTM and a classy player. I don't think we play him in the right role here.

Or could be due to the fact that they're in the league below.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 30, 2011, 12:23:07 pm by dumbroofer »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=195349
Quote from: \"bigdonnyboy\" post=195332

Or could be due to the fact that they're in the league below.

then maybe we should be keeping him,as on yesterdays performance that is where we are heading.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012