Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:15:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: That was shocking!  (Read 7191 times)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
Re: That was shocking!
« Reply #30 on October 29, 2011, 07:16:07 pm by drfc1951 »
Quote from: \"DRFCBRADFORD\" post=195148
heard the game ,load off rubbish ,ive only missed 15games home and away in 3years ,not been since SOD was sacked either home or away i said when saunders took over we would go down how i think hes lost the dressing room and he dosent no what hes doing im not spendin £60 to watch a load off shit .ive never been so disponded since we got into the championship.
RTID

RTID do you know what those  4 initials stand for?. You have been a fan for 50yrs,so you will remember the rubbish we
saw with managers like Setters, Kettleborough and Dave Mckay which was alot worse than we are playing now.How do you
come to the assumption that Saunders has lost the dressing room?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 29, 2011, 07:25:02 pm by Scooter »
I thought we did ok. Chimbonda and ilunga stood out for me. Barnes was doing well it's a shame he went off. We desperately need a couple of goal hungry strikers. If sharp goes or not i'm past caring but we need young out and out strikers

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 29, 2011, 07:30:04 pm by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=195172
Its such a shame that some of the players the manager inherited from his predecessor can't be arsed to put a shift in.
Stock is a liability. Some posters have said he will be gone in January. Well if that is the case good.
We have had the problem for well over 12 months.
WE DO NOT ANY KIND OF MIDFIELD AT ALL.
I don't know what the situation is with Billy Sharp but had he been playing today we would have had all 3 points.
Hayter might have given 1/10 but he is not the answer as striker.
He scored with a misskick but how many chances did he miss.

I agree with a lot of that, it's noticeable the players who flourished under SOD are a shadow of their former selves and that covers most of the midfield - which you correctly identify as the major problem.

That said, I still think DS has to improve the current performances through coaching. I've no doubt he will improve us in the transfer window but he's got to give us (and himself) a fighting chance by getting wins on the board before then. He did breath new life into the team and the rise in tempo was noticeable but the international break seemed to come at the wrong time and its all been a bit stop start since then.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 29, 2011, 07:48:20 pm by goalkick »
coventry worst team we have played this year but they could have easily have won. we never looked like scoring they missed several chances that should have been put away.  bennet and friend ran their hearts out,general feeling of doom and gloom at the ground ,sorry thing to see especially with all the rumours.  difficult to see where goals and a win coming from with present line up,we can only hope and get behind the team.  fear the worst for tues though,

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 29, 2011, 07:57:14 pm by hoolahoop »
We are a shambles, please will everyone stop trying to 'spin'' imaginary positives where they don't exist.
Forest excepting, that Sky Blues team was the worst I've seen at this level in the last 3 years.........unfortunately we were a helluva lot worse.

I no longer give a flying shite about Strategies, agents and Billy Sharp rumours ; I simply want to see my team capable of putting more than 3 passes together, able to play with the qualities incomparable to a group of 7/8 year olds on Town Moor on a Sunday morning.

For goodness sake everyione ffs stop trying to paper over the cracks, attendances are no longer irrelevant either in the same way as they appear not to matter a jot to our Board either. There was some shite out there today nay bucketfuls of it.

I no longer care who or what manages/directs this club anymore ......it's time we were all allowed to be proud again of what we see on that pitch. Fed up of being a laughing stock both on/off the pitch. I'm fuming if you're not you are only deluding yourselves.

GET IT SORTED .

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 29, 2011, 08:32:32 pm by RTID75 »
Funny - I didn't think it was as bad as some on here are making out. An odd team selection and very lightweight front line didn't help. It was a poor first half, especially after they scored, but the second half and the substitutions made a difference (Copps especially seemed to make things work again) and we deserved the goal. We should have pushed on a bit harder and made one or two other chances count against a very poor Coventry side.

All is not right, that's clear to see. It seems like Saunders is still trying to find the right combinations, it's just a shame we're near the foot of the table well into the new season and still very much finding out what works and what doesn't. We need to get it right soon otherwise it will become hard to stay out of the relegation mire.

And to all those who are out for Saunders blood and think S'OD was the son of God - look how long it took him to get things going - an age. Remember some of the awful early performances and the reception S'OD got at the time. Of course it's going to take a while to sort out, it might not be pretty whilst we're at it, but let's stick together and *support* to do our bit to help things head in the right direction.

sheffieldROVER

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 29, 2011, 08:50:29 pm by sheffieldROVER »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=195152
Quote from: \"DRFCBRADFORD\" post=195148
heard the game ,load off rubbish ,ive only missed 15games home and away in 3years ,not been since SOD was sacked either home or away i said when saunders took over we would go down how i think hes lost the dressing room and he dosent no what hes doing im not spendin £60 to watch a load off shit .ive never been so disponded since we got into the championship.
RTID

So would SOD have kept us up?

yep  i think so!!!!!!weird how we had a fully fit squad for saunders first game!

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 29, 2011, 09:56:42 pm by JonWallsend »
I actually thought we played ok and in terms of passing it was a huge improvement on the Palace game. They were admittedly poor and I feel with a bit more belief and positive team selections ( Mason starting instead of Illunga or Gillet) we would have won the game.
Hayter, as he always does put in an excellent shift, and I have to disagree with Wellred I can't actually recall him missing loads of other chances and (Benaldo?) he was onside for the goal.
Sharp isn't fit physically, isn't fit mentally, can't be arsed, is on his way, has fallen out with the manager, doesn't fit the system- delete as you see appropriate- and we were beter off without him today. Billy, on top of his game, is a different matter but unfortunately for us those days have gone.

I feel, and I might be in a minority, more positive on the evidence of today. Chimbonda good, Naylor had an excellent game- one major cock up between him and Shelton aside, although you always feel that could happen and next time we wont get away with it.

Copps changed the game- One thing it proved for me is that Bennett ( how he got the sponsors MOM is a mystery) is light years away from Coppinger in terms of footballing ability, understanding and awareness of how to use the ball.  When Copps has left, as he inevitably will this season, we will be left with fast runner. Lets see if the coaching staff can turn him into a footballer.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 30, 2011, 03:53:07 am by Mr1Croft »
If we couldn't take 3 points from todays games there won't be more chances like this.

Today had positives but that attitude cost the last manger his job.

That £1 million offer for Stock seems decades ago now.

The players look confused at the best of times and you either feel sorry or laugh at Dean Saunders looking dumbfounded on the touchline.

And apparently SOD lost the dressing room before his departure...

My worry is where do we go from here? Obviously another change in management is not the way forward but today looked like a squad lacking stability, and tbh McKay's master plan and slashing the wage bill offers neither.

I thought things were looking bad after the Brighton game, but the injuries are behind us and we seem to be worse; the football we play is typical; great when its good but boring when its bad. I just hope today wasn't a sign of the squad protesting against the actions of the club in the last month; because once the board lose the squad we lose football...

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 30, 2011, 06:07:01 am by Nudga »
I only managed to watch the first half as my little lad wanted to go home (it was his first match). I thought we were absolutely awefull and I still maintain that Friend isn't up to this level, again he was found out for their goal, he can't bloody tackle! Brian Stock's mistake led to their goal and he was dog shite for that first half, it looked like he was treating the game as a pre season friendly. On that showing, he looks like he's had his best years for us and sadly got to go in january. Have the back problems taken their toll on him?
Gilletts passing (if you can call it that) is league two standard. The players aren't running into the holes and making space, they're making it hard for themselves and it looked like we had no game plan. Chimbonda and Ilunga were ok, nothing special. Bennett was the only plus point for me, but he kept running into dead ends because of the lack of movement.
It was frustrating me how Coventry were able to knock it about around around midfield, we're too slow in that department and Stock was chasing shadows. That was the first game i've been able to get to this season and to be honest, we won't be gettingvthe floating fans back on that kind of showing.
The team is still SOD's bar two and I think a handful should be on their way come january but I'm also worried that DS doesn't know how to set his team up. We can only really judge him when he gets his own players in, but i'm not holding my breath.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 30, 2011, 06:49:09 am by Donnywolf »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=195139
Disagree, it was typical of a transitional period.

Thats the bit that worries me personally because I feel if we DO get going with the Showcase affair then we will have loads of individuals coming in and out as fast as WM can off them and replace them.

He is not going to get Player A lets call him - put him in the shop window and if a Club comes in for him after just 3 games say \" no hold on I need him to do a job for these first\". It wont happen Player A will be gone to richer pastures. SO this ALWAYS is going to be a Team / Squad in transition while we continue down this route - even if it is a Team that wins enough games to stay up

You only have to look back at Chelsea and more recently Man City (Leicester even) and despite buying a host of expensive individuals they did not \"gel\" for a long time - it took Chelsea \"a while\" to win anything and Man City have yet to win the League and they we must remember that have money to go out and buy the best individuals again and again and continue to do so NOT as we are looking for players who are probably just over the hill , dont fit in at their current Club and are certainly NOT attracting attention by their own performances.

Those Clubs mentioned are building building building for the future - we dont have that luxury - and as I stated earlier even if this Plan does get going - and we are winning some games it will always leave us in a transitional state

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 30, 2011, 06:52:57 am by Berkshire Rover »
For me, the usual mixed bag, I can't commne ton their goal, I'd gone for a pee and missed it! Until they scored didn't think there was much between the teams, with us shading it, we were much better second half and agin have rescued a point from a losing position, that intself tells me there is still an element of desire in the team.

As for the players, Sullivan was Sullivan, one great save in the first half after they'd scored, the defence looked solid enough apart from late on when silly mistakes were made (naylor and martis running into each other?) and could have been punished, again some last ditch tackling and recovery (again not a sign of poor team spirit)

I thought Chimbonda did lots of simple things very well, wasn't very adventurous in the first half got more involved up front second half, started to link a bit with Copps. I think Martis is a decent CB, he just likes to give the impression at times that he isn't! Friend is all energy and commmitment, which is still making up fora lack of technical ability and at times positional sense.

I was surprised to see Illunga in there, but I thought the did an ok job in there in what I assume is an unusual position for him, I think we need someone to play that role, Stocks passing was dire in the first half, a bit better in the second, like many I would have liked to see Mason on earlier. Gillett had a great free kick and is a terrier, but we probably need a rottweiler. Barnes dod well until he decide to run into a brick wall. Copps looked much more like his old self, more creative than Barnes and obviously provided the assist for the goal.

Bennett is all raw talent, can beat people at will but quitre often then makes the wrong decision at the moment, Hayter usual (and this is a compliment) effort and commitment and in the right place at the right time.

Summary, much better than Leeds, Much better than Portsmouth, (I can't commnet on Blackpool as i didn't go), apart from a couple of what were really clearances from Martis late on, there was no hoofball, another point on the board (every one will be precious this season). Still very much work in progress, still need more bite and prescence in midfield, still need more clinical options up front.

:rtid:

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 30, 2011, 06:59:03 am by Berkshire Rover »
Quote from: \"DONNYWOLF\" post=195306
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=195139
Disagree, it was typical of a transitional period.

Thats the bit that worries me personally because I feel if we DO get going with the Showcase affair then we will have loads of individuals coming in and out as fast as WM can off them and replace them.

He is not going to get Player A lets call him - put him in the shop window and if a Club comes in for him after just 3 games say \" no hold on I need him to do a job for these first\". It wont happen Player A will be gone to richer pastures. SO this ALWAYS is going to be a Team / Squad in transition while we continue down this route - even if it is a Team that wins enough games to stay up

You only have to look back at Chelsea and more recently Man City (Leicester even) and despite buying a host of expensive individuals they did not \"gel\" for a long time - it took Chelsea \"a while\" to win anything and Man City have yet to win the League and they we must remember that have money to go out and buy the best individuals again and again and continue to do so NOT as we are looking for players who are probably just over the hill , dont fit in at their current Club and are certainly NOT attracting attention by their own performances.

Those Clubs mentioned are building building building for the future - we dont have that luxury - and as I stated earlier even if this Plan does get going - and we are winning some games it will always leave us in a transitional state

DW I think you've summed up the concerns, but I think it will be less disruptive than many fear, there is only one transfer window in the season, so there could be further changes in January admittedly, but that does happen any way, as do loans. when you think about it, this sort of thing has been happening in cricket for quite a while now, with international players coming in for a few games here and there, now I know you may say that cricket is more of a collection of individual efforts than football, but team spirit is also an important factor and it doesn't seem to have done much harm there.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 30, 2011, 07:30:16 am by Barmby Rover »
My worry having seen the performance yesterday is not the players that might come in, but how DS is using what he has got. There seems to be only one job for the midfield, take one touch and kick it out towards the wing, whether there is anybody there or not! We have players who can play football and they are not being allowed to do. It struck me as Conference tactics. DS has a very steep learning curve to make, and it may well be too late before he realises what he has got. He has to stop the players putting high balls in to players who are a good six inches to a foot smaller than central defenders and start to work round them instead. It shows a lack of imagination and trying to make footballers stick to a rigid pattern rather than using their capabilities. I have no doubt Copps will be in trouble for not running up and down the line this morning, despite being the only one to show a bit of class yesterday. If Coventry had been a half decent side instead of the relegation certainties thay looked yesterday we would have been anihilated. Another look for me on Tuesday, Middlesbrough will show up the \"plan\" much more if it is stuck to.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 30, 2011, 07:39:55 am by Nudga »
Quote from: \"Barmby Rover\" post=195309
My worry having seen the performance yesterday is not the players that might come in, but how DS is using what he has got. There seems to be only one job for the midfield, take one touch and kick it out towards the wing, whether there is anybody there or not! We have players who can play football and they are not being allowed to do. It struck me as Conference tactics. DS has a very steep learning curve to make, and it may well be too late before he realises what he has got. He has to stop the players putting high balls in to players who are a good six inches to a foot smaller than central defenders and start to work round them instead. It shows a lack of imagination and trying to make footballers stick to a rigid pattern rather than using their capabilities. I have no doubt Copps will be in trouble for not running up and down the line this morning, despite being the only one to show a bit of class yesterday. If Coventry had been a half decent side instead of the relegation certainties thay looked yesterday we would have been anihilated. Another look for me on Tuesday, Middlesbrough will show up the \"plan\" much more if it is stuck to.

I don't think knocking it out wide is a lack of imagination, what broke up that plan was the players innability to find pockets of space and create opening for others meaning the likes of Bennett running into brick walls. Most of the players were guilty of ball watching and we don't play at a high enough tempo to hurt teams or to get the bloody ball back.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 30, 2011, 09:54:48 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Berkshire Rover\" post=195307
For me, the usual mixed bag, I can't commne ton their goal, I'd gone for a pee and missed it! Until they scored didn't think there was much between the teams, with us shading it, we were much better second half and agin have rescued a point from a losing position, that intself tells me there is still an element of desire in the team.

As for the players, Sullivan was Sullivan, one great save in the first half after they'd scored, the defence looked solid enough apart from late on when silly mistakes were made (naylor and martis running into each other?) and could have been punished, again some last ditch tackling and recovery (again not a sign of poor team spirit)

I thought Chimbonda did lots of simple things very well, wasn't very adventurous in the first half got more involved up front second half, started to link a bit with Copps. I think Martis is a decent CB, he just likes to give the impression at times that he isn't! Friend is all energy and commmitment, which is still making up fora lack of technical ability and at times positional sense.

I was surprised to see Illunga in there, but I thought the did an ok job in there in what I assume is an unusual position for him, I think we need someone to play that role, Stocks passing was dire in the first half, a bit better in the second, like many I would have liked to see Mason on earlier. Gillett had a great free kick and is a terrier, but we probably need a rottweiler. Barnes dod well until he decide to run into a brick wall. Copps looked much more like his old self, more creative than Barnes and obviously provided the assist for the goal.

Bennett is all raw talent, can beat people at will but quitre often then makes the wrong decision at the moment, Hayter usual (and this is a compliment) effort and commitment and in the right place at the right time.

Summary, much better than Leeds, Much better than Portsmouth, (I can't commnet on Blackpool as i didn't go), apart from a couple of what were really clearances from Martis late on, there was no hoofball, another point on the board (every one will be precious this season). Still very much work in progress, still need more bite and prescence in midfield, still need more clinical options up front.

:rtid:

Agree with most of that. I think maybe he might have tried Ilunga in midfield to add a bit of bite.
As for hoofball. If one of our \"talented\" midfield players had played hoofball in the last minute at Blackpool we would not have lost that game!

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 30, 2011, 10:00:07 am by drfc1951 »
Quote from: \"Barmby Rover\" post=195309

You actually came to a game did you, first time this season was it?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on October 30, 2011, 11:01:36 am by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=195197
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=195150
Is it just me who thought Chimbonda was shit?

No you're not alone and he's supposed to be 'showcasing' himself......he's having a fookin laff. :angry:

Totally agree, Chimbonda was very poor.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 30, 2011, 02:21:01 pm by glosterred »
From my point of view it was a poor game from 2 very poor sides

Goal keeping - Sully did nothing wrong yesterday, fortunately we were playing a very poor side as we would have shipped a bucket load otherwise, we do need either a better backup than the youth team keeper or a new No 1

Defence - better in this game than it has been, but again not strong enough, makes to many mistakes and gives the ball away to often

Midfield - not strong enough - needs some one that can put his foot on the ball, make some strong tackles and not give it away as often as we are doing at the moment! Other than the free kick at the end, SG is not producing it at the moment, Mason should come in for the Boro game.

Attack - to light weight, we do not have, without BS, a natural goal scorer, yesterday it was crying out for a natural goal scorer as I think Billy would have had a field day, Kyle should have done better with his header early in the game.

:scarf:

DRFCBRADFORD

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 30, 2011, 04:17:10 pm by DRFCBRADFORD »
if we are goin to stay up we need a new midfield stock and gillet are not good enough in defending maybe woods could be the answer

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on October 30, 2011, 07:57:27 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Quote from: \"DONNYWOLF\" post=195306
... I feel if we DO get going with the Showcase affair then we will have loads of individuals coming in and out as fast as WM can off them and replace them.

He is not going to get Player A lets call him - put him in the shop window and if a Club comes in for him after just 3 games say \" no hold on I need him to do a job for these first\". It wont happen Player A will be gone to richer pastures. SO this ALWAYS is going to be a Team / Squad in transition while we continue down this route

I agree with your points about problems with a team not having time to settle down, but with the eg of 3 games you are exagerating. Players can only be sold within the transfer windows, so it wouldn't be a case of players popping in and out so quickly as you infer.

Bretby Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on October 30, 2011, 08:11:42 pm by Bretby Rover »
Thought both Chimbonda and Ilunga showed their quality with intelligent use of the ball.Naylor showed great fighting spirit. Copps showed improvement and we did click nicely on a few occasions. Hope all these good things rub off on the squad

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 31, 2011, 10:04:55 am by inSODwetrust »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=195175
I thought Chimbonda and Illunga were excellent. How anyone can say Chimbonda was anything but excellent is just plain stupid! He's a light year ahead of Friend, Matress in defence! He showed real class. Same as Illunga, great player.

Today the side was let down by Stock (slow, crap, too slow on the ball), Gillett (runs around, but can't pass), Hayter (in a weird way, despite the goal, he looked like he was well out of his depth...and his goal looked 5 miles offside to me?), Martiss and Friend are woeful. Naylor is a good player but his old legs are letting him down.

If only Stock and Gillett could be replaced by some quality then I think Rovers won't need to worry too much. With them in the side, Rovers are spineless and without a clue in midfield.

Good efforts from Bennett and Barnes, but far too often they were isolated up front by Stock and Gillett meandering around miles away like sunday league players.

If James Hayter is Doncasters best threat up front Rovers are in big, big trouble. The only positives I saw from today were Illunga at def midfield, Chimbondas class, Bennetts development and progress, but they are playing with too many below average players.

Ilunga is one of the worst players I have ever seen, it was Chimbonda's worst game for us, but I rate him!

Stock is quality and does not need replacing! Gillett's awful though!

Martis was one of the better players and I would pick him over Friend any day (also cant wait for Spurr to come back).

Hayter is quality and will work his b*llocks off week in, week out, he's also scored some important goals for us! Some quality goals for us! and, actually has a very good scoring record!

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 31, 2011, 11:00:08 am by TheFunk »
Personally I thought last seasons performance against Coventry was far worse than Saturdays game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012