Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:20:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Here's another positive  (Read 2223 times)

Donnylass

• Forum Member
Here's another positive
« on October 30, 2011, 02:22:59 pm by Donnylass »
thread you can all add your negativity to. I don't care how much of a slating I get for this but I can't believe that half the people on here are Doncaster Rover supporters. As I mentioned in another thread I originally come from London (I have lived here for 8yrs and from day 1 was a DRFC supporter and a s/t holder for 5 yrs) and my \"home team\" are Leyton Orient. They were in a similar state to Donny, working their way up the league, but not once did I ever hear any fans say about their own club, that they were 'punching above their own weight' in the league. I'm sick of going in to work and a Sheffield Wednesday fan saying that and from the 1st year we got promoted to The Championship saying we would go straight down. We, DRFC earnt the right to be here so we ARE a Championship side. Maybe not the best one and maybe there's problems at the moment but, as I said before it's like you're letting other clubs tell you you can't be want you want to be. Whenever anyone on here starts a positive thread, there has to be one person who can't take it and has to spoil it. Maybe because I wasn't born here I can see it from a more impartial point of view, but I think we are lucky to have such a great club with people like JR in charge who try to be as open and honest as they can about a club they love. I know everyone has their worries and everyone has their opnion, but we can't change anything by slagging each other, the players, the manager or the club off in general. I'm sure JR knows peoples concerns and has tried to address it, but some people jus seem to want the end of the world to come to the club, just so they can say 'Told you so.'    Right I've got that off my chest - let the onslaught begin. All I'm going to say now is RTID :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Re: Here's another positive
« Reply #1 on October 30, 2011, 02:30:07 pm by Sprotyrover »
Quote from: \"Donnylass\" post=195392
thread you can all add your negativity to. I don't care how much of a slating I get for this but I can't believe that half the people on here are Doncaster Rover supporters. As I mentioned in another thread I originally come from London (I have lived here for 8yrs and from day 1 was a DRFC supporter and a s/t holder for 5 yrs) and my \"home team\" are Leyton Orient. They were in a similar state to Donny, working their way up the league, but not once did I ever hear any fans say about their own club, that they were 'punching above their own weight' in the league. I'm sick of going in to work and a Sheffield Wednesday fan saying that and from the 1st year we got promoted to The Championship saying we would go straight down. We, DRFC earnt the right to be here so we ARE a Championship side. Maybe not the best one and maybe there's problems at the moment but, as I said before it's like you're letting other clubs tell you you can't be want you want to be. Whenever anyone on here starts a positive thread, there has to be one person who can't take it and has to spoil it. Maybe because I wasn't born here I can see it from a more impartial point of view, but I think we are lucky to have such a great club with people like JR in charge who try to be as open and honest as they can about a club they love. I know everyone has their worries and everyone has their opnion, but we can't change anything by slagging each other, the players, the manager or the club off in general. I'm sure JR knows peoples concerns and has tried to address it, but some people jus seem to want the end of the world to come to the club, just so they can say 'Told you so.'    Right I've got that off my chest - let the onslaught begin. All I'm going to say now is RTID :scarf:

Donny lass you have to understand that we Doncastrians are a bunch of whinging moaners, we are not happy unless we can have a good moan.

It is the nature of folks born and bred here I guess:welcome:

I-was-there1976

« Reply #2 on October 30, 2011, 02:40:21 pm by I-was-there1976 »
you mean Rovers til you move to some other town surely ?

Poor old Orient. What have they done wrong ?

Donnylass

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 30, 2011, 02:54:02 pm by Donnylass »
Quote from: \"I-was-there1976\" post=195398
you mean Rovers til you move to some other town surely ?

Poor old Orient. What have they done wrong ?

Maybe if you read the point properly - my \"home team\" are Leyton Orient, meaning I still support them, but as I live in Doncaster, use my money to pay for a DRFC S/T it would be hard to be in 2 places at once and very expensive. Maybe you would prefer me to be like other Doncaster citizens and go and support a team that isn't my local. My gGrandad supported Leyton Orient till the day he died. It's like having kids, you don't stop loving one just because another one has come along. If I did ever move then I would still support DRFC, because you can't stop caring about a club, just because it's not on your doorstep. And I'm not quiet sure what your text in bold is supposed to mean.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 30, 2011, 03:10:34 pm by RoversAlias »
Leyton Orient fans probably aren't talking about 'punching above their weight' because...they aren't punching above their weight? They're a bottom half League One side which seems about right to me. I doubt anybody would be on here saying we are punching above our weight if we got relegated this season.

What's wrong with people pointing out a fact? There have been much worse things said about the club in recent weeks on here by its own supporters than that..

Donnylass

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 30, 2011, 03:31:05 pm by Donnylass »
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=195406
Leyton Orient fans probably aren't talking about 'punching above their weight' because...they aren't punching above their weight? They're a bottom half League One side which seems about right to me. I doubt anybody would be on here saying we are punching above our weight if we got relegated this season.

What's wrong with people pointing out a fact? There have been much worse things said about the club in recent weeks on here by its own supporters than that..

:headbang:  Ok - well the fact that at the end of last season they were just outside the playoffs and had been in it for some of the time shows LO wouldn't be held back by what any other club/clubs fans thought of them. The point I was trying to make, by giving LO as an example was that Fans need to have faith in their club and believe in them. Just because something is a 'fact', which by definition should have meant we went straight back down to league 1, doesn't mean you can't be more postitive, then negative, which a lot of people on here are.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #6 on October 30, 2011, 04:13:44 pm by I-was-there1976 »
calm down calm down

havent ya got any pots to wash ?

:chair:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 30, 2011, 04:22:04 pm by wilts rover »
donnylass, in life there are 3 kinds of people, some who see the world as glass half full, some as glass half empty - and those who deserve having it poured over their head, it pays to remember that when reading posts on here!

WorcestershireDan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 30, 2011, 06:21:05 pm by WorcestershireDan »
Do hope you were joking 1976 otherwise  it was very patronising.

I have followed Rovers through thick and thin since 1969 and always will.

Are you the same? :clapping:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 30, 2011, 06:59:13 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Good post Donnylass :thumbsup:

I read some Orient forum posts a while back about their dream to get back to the 2nd tier. It was mainly believing they could do it, thats what they expected they could do, one day. It was a positive attitude.

One thing that always pissed me off about living in Donny was an attitude of not setting your sights above or beyond the norm, don't get above your station, \"who do you think you are\". I'll probably get panned for saying that. I think that attitude has changed a little since I was a kid, but its still there. It also wasn't from everyone of course.

Its now time to fight for our clubs status, and raise our sights. If you look down, you're more likely to fall. Hats off to all those who are making positive efforts, and to those who see us as a growing club.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 30, 2011, 08:34:04 pm by RoversAlias »
Quote from: \"Donnylass\" post=195417
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=195406

:headbang:  Ok - well the fact that at the end of last season they were just outside the playoffs and had been in it for some of the time shows LO wouldn't be held back by what any other club/clubs fans thought of them. The point I was trying to make, by giving LO as an example was that Fans need to have faith in their club and believe in them. Just because something is a 'fact', which by definition should have meant we went straight back down to league 1, doesn't mean you can't be more postitive, then negative, which a lot of people on here are.

Fair enough Donnylass, sorry for not fully comprehending your point in earlier posts. You're right, suppose it isn't a fact at all or else we'd have gone straight back down like you said.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 30, 2011, 09:40:19 pm by Alickismyhero »
Hi DL,
It's sad when you make comments like you have and expect to be criticised! You talk a great deal of common sense and welcome aboad the Rovers supporters club, for life.
I was at the last game at Orient to support Donny but I was also watching Dave Hunt my mates son making his debut marking Fortune West who knocked him about a bit on the day. The kids now at Crawley Town but unfortunately looks to be going down hill with his career, that's football.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #12 on October 30, 2011, 09:56:27 pm by I-was-there1976 »
DL sets her self up with

\"I don't care how much of a slating I get for this but\"

so with a little bit of jest i replied

DL goes into a huff after the ist response. lol

chill out girls and girls

women eh ?

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 30, 2011, 10:25:04 pm by WBDRFC »
Absolutely agree with Donnylass. People who think \"we're punching above our weight\" are showing a lack of ambition.

From memory (and I may be wrong on some of these), but of the Premier League teams (current or last few seasons), the following were in League 1 in the last 20-30 years, and some were even in League 2:

Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic
Swansea City
Norwich City
Stoke City
Manchester City
QPR
Wolves
Hull City
Burnley
Blackpool
Blackburn Rovers
West Bromwich Albion
Fulham
Sunderland
Reading

That's a sizable list. The Premier League (and all leagues) would be so much more boring if teams refused to aim higher, just because they consider themselves to be punching above their weight.
There's no reason why a team like Doncaster Rovers could not be one of those teams.
Show some ambition!

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 30, 2011, 11:52:38 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=195494

From memory (and I may be wrong on some of these), but of the Premier League teams (current or last few seasons), the following were in League 1 in the last 20-30 years, and some were even in League 2:

Going a few years further back Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Swansea City, Wolves, Hull City, Burnley, Blackpool and Reading would have been regular opponents against us in Division 4.

A season in the Premiership would do wonders for Rovers fanbase, long term.

Popeye

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 31, 2011, 10:51:38 am by Popeye »
I agree a season in the prem wouldn't hurt. But as for long term fanbase, Rovers fans are so fickle that as soon as we drop back into the championship they would all disappear again leaving us with the 6000 regulars.
Look at every big game and they all show the occasional fans walking long before the end of the game.
I don't know what the answer is to get the numbers to increase, better football and results are obvious but it's gonna take a lot more than that to keep them coming. I believe even 2 seasons in the prem wouldn't be enough.
There's just something about this club that doesn't command a big fanbase no matter which league we are in.
It would be great to get 20,000 like at Cardiff and wembley. But truth is its not gonna happen.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012