Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 06:15:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FA Cup replays  (Read 2407 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: FA Cup replays
« Reply #30 on April 18, 2024, 07:51:41 pm by Campsall rover »
It is a disgrace.
The Premier league clubs just think they can do what they want because they are being allowed to. This is  about as selfish as it can get. Self interest to the detriment of the game as a whole and the total football pyramid.

How can the FA allow this to happen. They are killing their own competition.
Killing the smaller clubs financially.

The best Cup competition in the world being treated with contempt yet again.

Where will this greed and self interest end.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 18, 2024, 08:28:57 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I agree with all the comments above. One thing really annoys me though - what on earth are the PL doing saying what happens in Rounds 1 and 2????

As someone mentioned Cray Valley - Charlton replay would not have happened. What on earth are the PL doing messing around with that???

Bad enough losing replays in rounds 3 onwards, and I am totally against that as well - but at least I can see why PL clubs might want that.

Unless they are being really cynical, and after appeal they restore replays in Rounds 1 & 2 and try to claim - look how reasonable we are being?  Stinks to high heaven. 

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 18, 2024, 08:52:27 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Grimsby latest I’ve seen to release a statement.

Backs the calls for the independent body to be put in place sooner rather than later before the game becomes unrecognisable

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 18, 2024, 08:53:35 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I must be in a minority. Get the outcome sorted on the day. Round 1 and replays is terrible for clubs IMO. Rovers for example draw against Exeter at home in front of 1700 fans to then travel 250 miles to play another match in front of 1700 fans. No financial gain whatsoever either. If people are that bothered about the FA cup then why are the attendances so poor at dirt cheap prices?

I think if EFL clubs were the ones driving this decision nobody would have a problem

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 18, 2024, 09:06:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's chipping away at the sporting integrity of the game and what made the FA Cup such a wonderful competition until it's clouded by the financial implications.

Originally an FA Cup tie meant being played until there was a winner. A draw obvs meant losing home advantage from the luck of the draw, then if the game was still tied after the replay, then neutral grounds came into play. Yes, it all got a bit silly after that, but that was the FA Cup.

As said, there were always pros and cons depending on the luck of the draw, and of course there's always chances of crap draws with long journeys etc, but that's part and parcel of it.

Then of course there's the money associated with drawing a 'big' club which has been exaggerated now, due to the potential cash windfalls with the top end clubs and is clouding our thinking.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 18, 2024, 10:14:42 pm by idler »
Why not give the bigger clubs the option to forfeit the tie rather than have a replay?
I bet not many of the greedy hypocrites would take that option.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 18, 2024, 10:29:07 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
For me it's the one competition that needs to keep it's history and not just be any old cup.  It's unique and should be protected.

Not withstanding it's a decision made by the top clubs without any thought for the rest.  Where's the consultation?

Good to see EFL clubs coming out against it, I really hope drfc issue a similar statement too.

Give all clubs a voice!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 18, 2024, 11:09:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
For me it's the one competition that needs to keep it's history and not just be any old cup.  It's unique and should be protected.

Not withstanding it's a decision made by the top clubs without any thought for the rest.  Where's the consultation?

Good to see EFL clubs coming out against it, I really hope drfc issue a similar statement too.

Give all clubs a voice!

Exactly. We have to protect the sporting integrity. As soon as we consider options for financial reasons, we've lost the plot. Financial gain from the competition should be earned from advancing in the competition and/or by the luck of the draw, not engineered due to the level you're at in the Pyramid.

For some bonkers reasoning, they're trying to protect elite players from the rest, some of whom may have already played several rounds of the competition as well as holding down day jobs.

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 19, 2024, 07:31:21 am by Crowle Rover »
Danny Baker summed it up well on Twitter/X last night

"FA Cup replays dispensed with because the handful of precious corporates don't want such inconvenience in their elite schedules.
Well,if they were that f**king good they wouldn't be needing replays in the first place would they?"

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 19, 2024, 08:26:17 am by rtid88 »
Lots of other clubs making official statements and I really hope we follow this up too with a statement.

I am just astonished that this kind of decision can even be made without consulting all football clubs who are involved in the FA Cup. Think the EFL, National League etc.... need to be joining forces on this and be taking legal action against the FA and Premier League and see how long it takes them to back down.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 19, 2024, 09:43:11 am by Colin C No.3 »
EFL clubs should boycott the fa cup next year, enough is enough lower league clubs need a voice in the FA which obviously they do not

Bang on!

I hope the EFL, National League & all non-professional clubs can somehow come together in one voice & tell the FA their precious cup competition will be played out amongst the Premiership Clubs (who of course love their competition & always treat it with the reverence its history warrants in English football) only unless they reverse this ‘slap in the face for EFL clubs’ obscene decision.

I sincerely hope Rovers add their voice to those against the decision & as has already been said would ‘back’ Rovers if they refused to play in the competition whatever the implications of that might be.

It would certainly make news & could snowball with other clubs taking the same stance. I’ll be emailing the club next week (after we’ve put Barrow to bed) to ask their thoughts.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 19, 2024, 09:52:07 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I think joint action is needed to reverse the decision first of all, then insist on some consultation. I think we're all sick of seeing the FA Cup being gradually eroded and have already gone too far with some of the concessions already in place.

Plus, there's more at stake than just the replay issue. The EPL cannot be allowed to have the power and influence over the game.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 19, 2024, 10:23:00 am by pib »
There was a thread on here, probably not even three months ago, asking for supporters' opinions on scrapping replays in the FA Cup.

Why am I not surprised in the slightest that in the end, not only were lower league (or any league) supporters not seriously consulted on the decision, but most of the football clubs outside the "Big 6" weren't even consulted either.

It just shows that they will force through any decision they want and don't give a f**k about the lower leagues when push comes to shove. Sooner they f**k off and join the Globetrotting Super League the better.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 19, 2024, 11:00:16 am by Colin C No.3 »
There was a thread on here, probably not even three months ago, asking for supporters' opinions on scrapping replays in the FA Cup.

Why am I not surprised in the slightest that in the end, not only were lower league (or any league) supporters not seriously consulted on the decision, but most of the football clubs outside the "Big 6" weren't even consulted either.

It just shows that they will force through any decision they want and don't give a f**k about the lower leagues when push comes to shove. Sooner they f**k off and join the Globetrotting Super League the better.

I completed that survey & conveyed many of the thoughts aired on this topic.

Clearly I’d have been better spending my time washing the car!

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 19, 2024, 12:36:37 pm by McCammon egg n chips »
Does anyone know if the club are planning a response to this?

I find it obscene that the Premier League can sneakily get together with the FA and decide the rules of the competition.

This isn't even really about replays. It's about who controls football. And once again, the 72 league clubs don't matter.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 19, 2024, 01:20:23 pm by ian1980 »
On the website now;

A statement issued on behalf of the Viking Supporters' Cooperative:

The Viking Supporters Cooperative is appalled that such major and fundamental changes can be made to the FA Cup without, it seems, any consultation with the EFL, supporter groups or anybody outside the English Premier League.

The very fact that the removal of early round replays without the consultation of the clubs and supporters that it does affect shows the scant regard that those clubs lower down the English football pyramid are held in by the elites of the Premier League.

It seems that the wishes, and fortunes, of clubs like ours are disrespected when it comes to the scheduling of European competitions, something that we would never expect of a Football Association that prides itself on being the first and premier association in world football.

The FA Cup has always been about dreams, achieving something that doesn’t happen often and yet when it does is remembered forever. Who can forget the cup games against Liverpool, and the trip to Anfield in the 73/74 season, that came about because of a replay?

Yet again football in this country has shown itself to be in desperate need of an Independent Football Regulator with the powers to deter the vested interests of a few clubs who seem determined to shape football for themselves. This change cannot come soon enough.

Finally, we ask the FA to suspend these changes until a fair consultation has taken place with supporters and clubs who are to be impacted by this decision. We implore the FA to help us hang onto our dreams and not, with a stroke, remove them from clubs like us.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 19, 2024, 01:26:39 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Does the club itself not have an opinion on it?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 19, 2024, 01:35:39 pm by silent majority »
Does the club itself not have an opinion on it?

Of course they do.

But they will have to speak to the EFL and see how they were represented first.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 19, 2024, 01:48:03 pm by Dutch Uncle »
On the website now;

The Viking Supporters Cooperative is appalled that such major and fundamental changes can be made to the FA Cup without, it seems, any consultation with the EFL, supporter groups or anybody outside the English Premier League.

The very fact that the removal of early round replays without the consultation of the clubs and supporters that it does affect shows the scant regard that those clubs lower down the English football pyramid are held in by the elites of the Premier League.

It seems that the wishes, and fortunes, of clubs like ours are disrespected when it comes to the scheduling of European competitions, something that we would never expect of a Football Association that prides itself on being the first and premier association in world football.

The FA Cup has always been about dreams, achieving something that doesn’t happen often and yet when it does is remembered forever. Who can forget the cup games against Liverpool, and the trip to Anfield in the 73/74 season, that came about because of a replay?

Yet again football in this country has shown itself to be in desperate need of an Independent Football Regulator with the powers to deter the vested interests of a few clubs who seem determined to shape football for themselves. This change cannot come soon enough.

Finally, we ask the FA to suspend these changes until a fair consultation has taken place with supporters and clubs who are to be impacted by this decision. We implore the FA to help us hang onto our dreams and not, with a stroke, remove them from clubs like us.

Excellent that the VSC had made its views public - well done.  :thumbsup:   Hopefully the club will follow.

One tiny thing - we were actually drawn at and drew at Anfield in 1973-74 and the replay was a home game played midweek afternoon, I believe because of power restrictions. The above, maybe unintentionally, reads as if the replay was at Anfield. Nevertheless well done VSC. :scarf:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on April 19, 2024, 02:33:47 pm by silent majority »
The EFL statement;

The EFL wishes to clarify further its position in respect of yesterday’s Premier League and Football Association bi-lateral announcement over the removal of FA Cup replays and the role of the League’s representatives on the Professional Game Board (PGB).

The agreement which now sees the abolition of replays from the competition format was agreed solely between the Premier League and FA.  Ahead of the deal being announced there was no agreement with the EFL nor was there any formal consultation with EFL Clubs as members of the FA and participants in the competition. 

In September 2023, the EFL did initially discuss with Clubs potential changes to the FA Cup format but only as part of a wider and more fundamental change to financial distributions. As is now clear, there has been no movement in this area since September.

This latest agreement between the Premier League and the FA, in the absence of financial reform, is just a further example of how the EFL and its Clubs are being marginalised in favour of others further up the pyramid and that only serves to threaten the future of the English game. 

The EFL today calls on both the Premier League and the FA, as the Governing body, to re-evaluate their approach to their footballing partnership with the EFL and engage more collaboratively on issues directly affecting our Clubs.

A separate issue is the role of the EFL representatives on the Professional Game Board (PGB) in agreeing to the 2024/25 overall fixture calendar. PGB is there to make technical decisions across the game as opposed to key policy decisions such as competition changes or formats.

Any decisions taken on the calendar involving EFL representatives are in no way an endorsement of the joint deal agreed between the FA and Premier League that imposes changes to the FA Cup competition format in isolation.

As part of the discussions the EFL representatives did challenge the position and were told that Clubs would be comfortable with no replays. They were effectively advised that, as a result, of it being an FA competition, the fixture list needed to be agreed as presented. It is also important to note that this matter was not discussed by the FA Cup committee, a separate group that oversees the competition across the professional and national game.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on April 19, 2024, 02:37:56 pm by silent majority »
And just to add, the PGB (Professional Game Board) have stated that they were not consulted.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on April 19, 2024, 02:43:16 pm by glosterred »
And just to add, the PGB (Professional Game Board) have stated that they were not consulted.

More that comes out on this decision the murkier it gets. If nothing changes, I for one would not be upset or surprised if clubs, DRFC included, boycotted the FA Cup next season.

COYR

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 19, 2024, 02:58:55 pm by silent majority »
On the website now;

Excellent that the VSC had made its views public - well done.  :thumbsup:   Hopefully the club will follow.

One tiny thing - we were actually drawn at and drew at Anfield in 1973-74 and the replay was a home game played midweek afternoon, I believe because of power restrictions. The above, maybe unintentionally, reads as if the replay was at Anfield. Nevertheless well done VSC. :scarf:

Thanks Dutch.

What we meant was playing games against top clubs because of the replay element and the excitement that encourages. We also had Wolves and Burnley in recent years I think.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 19, 2024, 03:14:27 pm by PDX_Rover »
A w@nk decision made by w@nkers to benefit w@nkers who would rather play showpiece games in Asia and the middle east to grow their brand.

I’m writing to Barry Took

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 19, 2024, 03:31:34 pm by Campsall rover »
On the website now;

Thanks Dutch.

What we meant was playing games against top clubs because of the replay element and the excitement that encourages. We also had Wolves and Burnley in recent years I think.
Don’t remember Burnley.
We had a replay at Aston Villa (same colours )

Anyway we’ll done SM for your statement on behalf of VSC

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 19, 2024, 04:37:26 pm by danumdon »
Greedy and spiteful action from a totally discredited PFL and a spineless FA, lets all hope this type of action hurries along a proper independent regulator to stand up to vested interest.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 19, 2024, 05:01:19 pm by Colin C No.3 »

It’s an absolute insult to all those bodies in football that weren’t consulted let alone be party to the discussions.

These bodies ultimately exist because of the football fan.Those teams & their supporters who ‘live outside’ of the Premiership ‘bubble’ have been cast aside like a bottle cap or a piece of lint.

We may not watch international footballers play for us in a 75,000 all seater ground, but the voices of a supporter of Margate or Blyth Spartans or Doncaster Rovers or Queens Park Rangers matter just as much as those of Arsenal or Man City.

I forget where the survey that was put out a couple of months ago emanated from but clearly it didn’t help the cause of this club’s supporters.

What more can we do as supporters to put any sort of meaningful pressure on the powers that be Martin?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 19, 2024, 05:08:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It's a nail in the coffin to them trying to show their self governing.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on April 19, 2024, 05:11:16 pm by idler »
What do the FA cup sponsors think of this idea? They lose publicity from all of the potential lost games. Maybe contact the sponsors to see their reaction.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 19, 2024, 05:36:39 pm by Dutch Uncle »
On the website now;

Thanks Dutch.

Don’t remember Burnley.
We had a replay at Aston Villa (same colours )

Anyway we’ll done SM for your statement on behalf of VSC

That Villa game was a bit of a landmark win for them. It was the eighth time we played them in a cup tie (all while they were a top flight club) and the first time they had beaten us. Five of those matches were in the fourth round of the FA Cup in 1955-56 -  4 draws before we beat them in the 4th replay - quite apposite given the topic   :lol: :lol: :lol:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012