Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:34:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why don't we shoot from outside the box?  (Read 4329 times)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
Why don't we shoot from outside the box?
« on September 04, 2017, 11:05:40 am by mrfrostsdad »
Myself and Donny Baz go ballistic every week regarding this.
Why do we refuse to shoot from outside the box? Look at the last two home games: Blackpool - two great goals with strikes from distance: Peterborough - hit the bar with a long distance effort and brought a decent save out of Lawlor with a shot from distance.
On at least three occasions on Saturday Coppinger passed when just outside the box with a clear shooting opportunity, and Rowe at least twice. There were others as well. The thing is: a deflection, a well struck effort, or sometimes a miss hit can fly in from that range.

I find it baffling.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Why don't we shoot from outside the box?
« Reply #1 on September 04, 2017, 11:12:26 am by GazLaz »
Whiteman does. Usually player dependent I think. Coppinger is a player that rarely does it, never has. You need to have the trust in your technical ability to try it over trying fashioning a better opportunity.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 04, 2017, 11:15:06 am by chrisd_123 »
Myself and Donny Baz go ballistic every week regarding this.
Why do we refuse to shoot from outside the box? Look at the last two home games: Blackpool - two great goals with strikes from distance: Peterborough - hit the bar with a long distance effort and brought a decent save out of Lawlor with a shot from distance.
On at least three occasions on Saturday Coppinger passed when just outside the box with a clear shooting opportunity, and Rowe at least twice. There were others as well. The thing is: a deflection, a well struck effort, or sometimes a miss hit can fly in from that range.

I find it baffling.

In the past I've not been too fussed about this as we normally find a way through eventually but the last few games has got me wondering what the issue is. It's not even just under Ferguson either, it seems to have been like this ever since SOD took over. Apart from David Cotterill I can't remember a player who consistently had a go at goal from range recently! (This is where everyone lists about 20 players each now  :laugh:)

Blackpool proved that you can bag three goals in a game you're not really in if you just have a go. We have the players who can do it too. It's not like our midfield can't strike a ball. Whiteman clearly has the talent and the one time Tommy Rowe has had a go this year, we got a goal (OG vs Blackpool).

I understand that we don't want to rush the play at times and we have the players to break teams down but what did the Peterborough keeper have to do? We had a lot of the ball in the second half and he wasn't tested.

I'm not advocating that we just shoot on sight at all times but, come on lads, just have a pop every now and again!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 04, 2017, 11:16:38 am by drfchound »
We did score a screamer ourselves against Blackpool.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 04, 2017, 11:18:01 am by Susan Abbott »
I believe it should be a forward first instinct to get into 18 yard box first and make the defender play YOU , if he dont get your shot off or pass if he does , go down like a sack of spuds .

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 04, 2017, 11:18:04 am by Mike_F »
It's frustrating with Copps. We all know he has a decent long shot in his locker but he never seems to back himself. The two 20-yard goals against Southend in the playoffs were testament to his ability and that's something that shouldn't diminish with age.

On another note, the unwillingness of some players to have a go with their weaker foot can be infuriating. I wasn't there on Saturday but in previous games Tommy Rowe in particular has worked himself into great areas then pulled it back into a defender when trying to get it on his left boot. Surely as a professional footballer you should be confident enough to at least swing your weaker foot at the ball when you've got a clear sight of goal. An if not, why not spend an extra 20 minutes hitting shots with it at the end of training a couple of times a week?

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 04, 2017, 11:19:13 am by chrisd_123 »

That's what I mentioned in my post. The one time Rowe did have a go, we got the OG from it.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 04, 2017, 11:19:38 am by swintonrover »
I've been lamenting how little we shoot for the last 15 years. The amount of times we have a clear opening on the edge of the box and then try to pass it to a marked player inside the box is absolutely insane.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 04, 2017, 11:20:01 am by Donnywolf »
Yes it is an area that we seem to be ignoring - though Whiteman (I think) let one fly in second half that looked to have power and be on target. Luke M was also getting his range before being injured !

However we also seem to be over fussy even inside the box and often a player just has to have that extra touch which of course gives defenders a better change of getting back / blocking / tackling

So from now .... just S-H-O-O-T

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 04, 2017, 11:20:11 am by drfchound »

That's what I mentioned in my post. The one time Rowe did have a go, we got the OG from it.

I wrote it while you were writing your post, it just came up a second or two later.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 04, 2017, 11:21:56 am by chrisd_123 »

I wrote it while you were writing your post, it just came up a second or two later.

Not to worry. It's such a frustrating point though. We have players like Tommy Rowe who we know are absolute class with the ball and Rowe himself has a rocket of a left foot when he strikes them. Just bloody hit it!  :lol:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 04, 2017, 11:22:37 am by drfchound »
There are though, many times when fans shout shoot when clearly if the player did there is a big chance that the shot will be blocked, possibly resulting in loss of possession.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 04, 2017, 11:38:05 am by Donnywolf »
True .... they just have to distinguish between the 2 as Blackpools boys did !

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 04, 2017, 11:38:55 am by Bentley Bullet »
Totally agree. It drives me mad. The opposition soon realises that shooting from distance is rarely an option we adopt so the element of surprise is reduced dramatically. On the rare occasions that we do have a shot from distance we tend to treat it like a free kick by shooting from a dead ball situation, therefore again reducing the element of surprise.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 04, 2017, 11:50:25 am by wing commander »
  We are always looking for that killer pass....I would have thought with the amount of stats available which everybody gets access too then they would be able to work out the percentages on letting one fly or playing a low % killer pass...I do agree though it does appear we shoot far less than other teams from just outside the box...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 04, 2017, 12:07:06 pm by GazLaz »
It's frustrating with Copps. We all know he has a decent long shot in his locker but he never seems to back himself. The two 20-yard goals against Southend in the playoffs were testament to his ability and that's something that shouldn't diminish with age.

On another note, the unwillingness of some players to have a go with their weaker foot can be infuriating. I wasn't there on Saturday but in previous games Tommy Rowe in particular has worked himself into great areas then pulled it back into a defender when trying to get it on his left boot. Surely as a professional footballer you should be confident enough to at least swing your weaker foot at the ball when you've got a clear sight of goal. An if not, why not spend an extra 20 minutes hitting shots with it at the end of training a couple of times a week?

Watching the lads shoot with their weaker foot in the warm up I can understand why. Williams is the best two footed finisher.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 04, 2017, 12:12:34 pm by rtid88 »
Bring back Curtis Main!  :woot:

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 04, 2017, 12:36:55 pm by Mac the hooped man »

Watching the lads shoot with their weaker foot in the warm up I can understand why. Williams is the best two footed finisher.

willians finishing in the warm up was absolutely clinical,  every one top corner!!,  then he stumbles over the ball in the game, so frustrating!!!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 04, 2017, 12:43:35 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

willians finishing in the warm up was absolutely clinical,  every one top corner!!,  then he stumbles over the ball in the game, so frustrating!!!

totally different hitting a shot in a warm up under no pressure to being under pressure from defenders in the game...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 04, 2017, 12:45:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I confess I lost it on Saturday. Apologies to all those sat around me for turning the air blue.

It just baffles me when a pro footballer doesn't take the responsibility to shoot when well placed. One of the main joys of football from an early age is scoring goals. Why you would want to pass up the chance is beyond me.

Rowe refused to shoot twice in the Blackpool game. On the 3rd occasion, he scored!

The old addage, If you don't shoot you don't score!

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 04, 2017, 02:35:44 pm by weststander »
Ask Darren why we don't at Monday's meeting. Remember Mandeville's free kick last season?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:38:46 pm by weststander »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 04, 2017, 02:50:22 pm by drfchound »
.............and the rocket that Curtis smashed in a couple of seasons ago in front of the South Stand.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 04, 2017, 02:56:59 pm by GazLaz »
I think about 15% of goals scored form outside the box. I wonder if we fit that stat last season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 04, 2017, 03:17:58 pm by drfchound »
I think about 15% of goals scored form outside the box. I wonder if we fit that stat last season.

That got me thinking Gaz so i looked up some stats.
The ones i looked at said that about 13% of shots on target from outside the penalty area are successful whereas 35% of shots on target from inside the box result in goals scored.

It may be that the coaches at the club have seen similar stats and are trying to create shot situations
from inside the box to give a greater chance of scoring.

Remember, these are results of shots on target only.
There will be many that are wildly blasted into the stands.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:21:19 pm by drfchound »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 04, 2017, 03:23:21 pm by IDM »
Whiteman was a matter of inches away with 2 long range screamers in the Gillingham game.. 

Inches.. that's the fine line between winning and drawing.

Players like Marquis, May, Williams should be scoring most of their goals in the box.  With Mandeville, Coppinger, Rowe, Whiteman and Houghon, we have plenty who can score from range.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 04, 2017, 04:12:33 pm by hoolahoop »
Yes, I confess I lost it on Saturday. Apologies to all those sat around me for turning the air blue.

It just baffles me when a pro footballer doesn't take the responsibility to shoot when well placed. One of the main joys of football from an early age is scoring goals. Why you would want to pass up the chance is beyond me.

Rowe refused to shoot twice in the Blackpool game. On the 3rd occasion, he scored!

The old addage, If you don't shoot you don't score!

You weren't the only only one - I too discovered that my vocal cords were in good working order .
If we don't start vocally start supporting the team more I confess I'm going to have to leave myself Co pletely hoarse. I'm hoping it's not too embarrassing at Arsenal judging by the long periods of silence in the last game ......" Come on you Reds " is NOT  going to work out somehow !!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 04, 2017, 06:42:49 pm by donnievic »
Ask Darren why we don't at Monday's meeting. Remember Mandeville's free kick last season?
yeah I also remember his effort last week at Grimsby

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 04, 2017, 06:54:17 pm by les@donr »
Bring back Tim "shoot" Ryan ;)

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 06, 2017, 12:52:52 pm by Al4475 »
I know it's a very different level but I've always told kids I've coached and the Sunday morning lads to shoot on sight if it's the best option - no one is gonna berate anybody for having a go if there's nowt else on and you never know a few may even go in!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 07, 2017, 05:14:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
There hasn't been a better time to adopt the policy of shoot on sight, with Alfie May in the team. He buzzes round the goal like a fly round a cow's arsehole, and will pick up many stray balls from rebounded shots, and put them away.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:18:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012