Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:57:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Backlash  (Read 2998 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Backlash
« on October 20, 2022, 08:55:22 am by Branton Rover »
The board must realise the flack they’re going to encounter if Danny Schofield is appointed, primarily due to his lack of experience. What would’ve the reaction been had we appointed Stuart McCall, a vastly experienced manager but also he’s a busted flush, in other words a spent ticket.

For what it’s worth I’d have preferred a more experienced appointment but I will make a good case for Schofield too. He’s got a good background coaching from youngsters to first team, also managing a Huddersfield team who are now clearly in decline after their Premier League adventures, the parachute monies  run dry and they’ve sold a lot of their assets after getting done by Forest in the playoff final last season.

Now anyone taking on that scenario would’ve struggled even if they’d had experience, which Danny doesn’t possess & let’s remember we’re in League Two which must be vastly easier to manage in than the Championship where the pressure is immense.

It’s our duty as supporters to get behind the man in the dugout and ultimately give vocal support the boys on the pitch.

I think we should adopt a pragmatist’s view on the appointment and not have a hissy fit/meltdown like the Whippersnappers of the Facebook generation may do.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Backlash
« Reply #1 on October 20, 2022, 08:58:05 am by Upton Rover »
Don’t think it will be him

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 20, 2022, 09:00:20 am by Chris Black come back »
Whoever it is, they will have some protection if this is presented as Copps’ pick. If he ends up being terrible though it will be ‘Copps’ hands tied by tight-fisted board’

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 20, 2022, 09:00:42 am by Northants Nomad »
Your last sentence says it all about reactions. Whether this is the right or wrong appointment, it will become clear in due course, but it seems some cannot resist taking to their keyboards with hyperbole and, in some cases, vitriol. It's a sad state of affairs and some users of social media need to ask themselves if they should be using the method at all.

Whoever is appointed, I wish them well. I supported GMc even though I had reservations from the very start - I expressed my reservations privately. If he'd succeeded and I had been wrong, a) I wouldn't have had egg on my face and b) it would have given me pleasure because Doncaster Rovers would have been successful.

I was hoping for an experienced manager but I am not part of the interview process so have no idea what's been said - neither does anyone else. Let's simply see what comes to pass.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 20, 2022, 09:18:18 am by redarmi66 »
Couldnt give a toss about type of people who want kick up a storm, create a backlash, from their keyboards. Unfortunately we have a few who like the attention and think they know best. Whoever it is we should just get behind them and give them some time and space to do the work. Results and performance will dictate if its the right choice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 03:48:07 pm by redarmi66 »

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 20, 2022, 09:19:09 am by ridgewoodrover »
Would have preferred a more experienced manager, but what do I know.
If as I’m hearing it’s a Coppinger led appointment that’s good enough for me.
He’s slightly more up on football matters than us lot who express our  opinions on the various forum sites   :rtid:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 20, 2022, 09:25:13 am by drfchound »
Your last sentence says it all about reactions. Whether this is the right or wrong appointment, it will become clear in due course, but it seems some cannot resist taking to their keyboards with hyperbole and, in some cases, vitriol. It's a sad state of affairs and some users of social media need to ask themselves if they should be using the method at all.

Whoever is appointed, I wish them well. I supported GMc even though I had reservations from the very start - I expressed my reservations privately. If he'd succeeded and I had been wrong, a) I wouldn't have had egg on my face and b) it would have given me pleasure because Doncaster Rovers would have been successful.

I was hoping for an experienced manager but I am not part of the interview process so have no idea what's been said - neither does anyone else. Let's simply see what comes to pass.

Well said.
I’m going to do what I always do when we get a new manager, or player for that matter.
I’m going to sit back and give him a chance.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 20, 2022, 09:31:13 am by craigdrfc »
When I first became aware it was ‘likely’ to be DS I was a little worried for the same reasons many have already stated on various social platforms.

But … having spent a bit of time processing it my attitude has changed. I am now actually excited to see what this guy could do with the squad we have. He is young, will be very driven to prove the Huddersfield experience was not all down to him and I just get a good feeling about it.

Only time will tell of course and, as with all Managers/Head Coaches, he will need the rub of the green at certain key times. What is obvious though is he will need to support of the stands and that is something we have to give him from the get-go.

Assuming it is DS lets not sink the guy before he has had the time to put his plan into place and figured what our issues on the pitch are. I just get a feeling about this one which I certainly never got with the last few appointments.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 20, 2022, 09:31:37 am by bedale rover »
Whoever it is, they will have some protection if this is presented as Copps’ pick. If he ends up being terrible though it will be ‘Copps’ hands tied by tight-fisted board’

"Tight fisted"?

If you put half the money they do you will have the right to complain as you almost certainly don't keep your thoughts to yourself

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 20, 2022, 09:35:37 am by Upton Rover »

Well said.
I’m going to do what I always do when we get a new manager, or player for that matter.
I think the majority of people on here will wish the new manager the best of luck and hope they do well for the club, and I will do the same, however each individual as a right to express their view’s on a new post at the club be it a manager, player or back room staff and that’s their right to do this and tbh it would be so boring if we all agreed on what everyone posts on here

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 20, 2022, 09:45:35 am by Arsenal Of The North »
Anyone know how many games he’s been a coach? I don’t buy into this no experience crap, it’s a step up for him as ‘head coach’ but a coach non the less.

500 games as a player, I’ve no idea how many as a coach, 200?? 9 in the hit seat if arguably one of the hardest leagues in the world.

No back lash from me, he’s everything to prove and all the ambition to do it.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 20, 2022, 09:51:37 am by idler »
I don’t think that it is always a case of fans shouldn’t have an opinion it is sometimes how that opinion is voiced.
By all means there will always be fans who see their preferred choice overlooked, for in their eyes an inferior candidate. What is not fair is if they not only decry the new appointment but constantly harangue the new incumbent from day one whether on here or other forms of social media. It takes time to judge just how suitable the appointment was.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 20, 2022, 09:56:25 am by SydneyRover »
Aesop's fable, the man the boy and the donkey comes to mind.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 20, 2022, 09:56:39 am by keith79 »
We all need to lower our expectations.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 20, 2022, 11:30:57 am by RoversAlias »
The board must realise the flack they’re going to encounter if Danny Schofield is appointed, primarily due to his lack of experience. What would’ve the reaction been had we appointed Stuart McCall, a vastly experienced manager but also he’s a busted flush, in other words a spent ticket.

For what it’s worth I’d have preferred a more experienced appointment but I will make a good case for Schofield too. He’s got a good background coaching from youngsters to first team, also managing a Huddersfield team who are now clearly in decline after their Premier League adventures, the parachute monies  run dry and they’ve sold a lot of their assets after getting done by Forest in the playoff final last season.

Now anyone taking on that scenario would’ve struggled even if they’d had experience, which Danny doesn’t possess & let’s remember we’re in League Two which must be vastly easier to manage in than the Championship where the pressure is immense.

It’s our duty as supporters to get behind the man in the dugout and ultimately give vocal support the boys on the pitch.

I think we should adopt a pragmatist’s view on the appointment and not have a hissy fit/meltdown like the Whippersnappers of the Facebook generation may do.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post and sentiments Branton.

I think we should give him and Copps a chance to show that they have a vision and can make it happen. We've been very "wishy-washy" with that the last few years, Baldwin talking about a vague "DNA" or "Wellensball" never materialising, or whatever the hell Gary was trying to do. Now, Copps says he has a plan and Schofield is the potential linchpin of it.

I was hoping for an experienced head too but ultimately all the ones we can get have failed. Anyone saying Schofield failed at Huddersfield isn't paying attention to what's gone on there.

I was all for Wellens, I was wrong. I was dead against McSheffrey and was sadly proven right. Now, I have some cautious hope for Schofield and we should back him and Copps to take us forward.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 20, 2022, 11:41:13 am by Reg of the Rovers »
That's how I'd describe our midfield.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 20, 2022, 12:30:15 pm by pib »
I don’t think the “backlash” on social media has been quite as strong as I expected. Most seem to be happy that the deal is done and we have a new appointment in place to hopefully take us forward.

Obviously there are always going to be question marks over any appointment and nobody is going to be every fan’s first choice, but as long as there’s a sense that we’ll get behind DS regardless I don’t think it matters.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 20, 2022, 12:47:59 pm by roversdude »
RA must be due I new article always a top read

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 20, 2022, 03:30:21 pm by RoversAlias »

Thanks roversdude, if I wasn't on holiday in Cyprus I'd surely be writing one!

When I left we had a different manager and the UK a different Prime Minister. Quite a few days.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 20, 2022, 03:43:50 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Thanks roversdude, if I wasn't on holiday in Cyprus I'd surely be writing one!

When I left we had a different manager and the UK a different Prime Minister. Quite a few days.

When you get back Boris will be in charge and you’ll think you are Bobby Ewing

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 20, 2022, 06:33:29 pm by StocksArmy »
The last 2 appointments were about needing experience. This time we can take a bit of a gamble. The football just cant be any worse to watch even if we finish mid table.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 20, 2022, 06:43:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
That's how I'd describe our midfield.

Two and half months to go, but unlikely to be beaten as post of year.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 20, 2022, 07:12:32 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The last 2 appointments were about needing experience. This time we can take a bit of a gamble. The football just cant be any worse to watch even if we finish mid table.

Agree with this. When GM was appointed we needed someone to use every trick in the book to scrape enough points to stay up. Now the players need work on the training ground.

So obvious when you see our lack of identity and aimlessness that GM just wasn't instilling anything into them in training. If we get this group well drilled they will be a strong side at this level.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 20, 2022, 07:17:13 pm by Jonathan »

Well said.

I feel like you’re doing yourself a disservice there. You won’t sit back, you’ll be at the games supporting them.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 20, 2022, 07:27:14 pm by roversdude »

Agree with this. When GM was appointed we needed someone to use every trick in the book to scrape enough points to stay up. Now the players need work on the training ground.

So obvious when you see our lack of identity and aimlessness that GM just wasn't instilling anything into them in training. If we get this group well drilled they will be a strong side at this level.

Agree with this (despite the fact that I supported GMc) - this appointment can get us back up and progress in L1

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 20, 2022, 07:56:28 pm by drfchound »

Well said.

I feel like you’re doing yourself a disservice there. You won’t sit back, you’ll be at the games supporting them.

Correct Jonathan.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 09:16:13 pm by drfchound »

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 20, 2022, 08:32:43 pm by coventryrover »
I am so bored of negativity.   I go to watch football hoping for a win  they may lose and I will be grumpy for a bit but hey ho.   Enables me to forget about my cares for a bit.    That's what it's about isn't it?  Not that complicated

New manager and already lots of negativity.  Boring

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 20, 2022, 08:37:31 pm by Jonathan »
To be honest I’ve not seen much of a backlash since the appointment. Though I’m aware that could be a result of a muting spree on Twitter and the fact I’m not in the Facebook group.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 21, 2022, 10:43:11 am by Colin C No.3 »
And I bet psychologically you feel so much better for it John!

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 21, 2022, 11:12:26 am by ditch_drfc »
I think the only negativity is from people moaning about negativity?

Most stuff I've seen is people saying they're getting behind the manager.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012