Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:14:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If this isn't offside...  (Read 3627 times)

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
Re: If this isn't offside...
« Reply #30 on January 21, 2021, 08:19:46 pm by LincolnDonny »
the player is running towards the defender who is about to bring it down .......ergo ....HE IS INTERFERING WITH PLAY
hes OFFSIDE

and the ref /assistants and the stupid VAR are bloody wrong

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 22, 2021, 03:37:20 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Irrespective of whether the spirit of the law is broken, the actual law of the game is that it wasn’t offside.
This was confirmed afterwards too.
Has no one noticed that recently when we have had a free kick which is going to be knocked into the opponents box that Fej stands in an offside position, a couple of yards behind the defensive line, then moves onside as the ball has been played.
If anything falls to him he is deemed to be onside under the current rules.

That is done by multiple players by every team whenever they get a free kick into the box and is entirely different to the situation under discussion.  In your example players move back in line with the last defender before the ball is kicked, otherwise they're offside.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 22, 2021, 04:13:06 pm by donnievic »
As a grass roots level referee in my view I would be giving offside and I think it would be split if they asked referees what there view of it would be up and down the country

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 22, 2021, 05:43:38 pm by idler »
Van Nistelroy used to do it regularly for Man U. Aimlessly ambling back until he was level with the last defender and then instantly alert. He got quite a few goals like that.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 22, 2021, 06:50:38 pm by Spud »
Loads of players do it & stay offside as the free kick is played, playing for being onside after it's been flicked on. Mind games with the defence & a harder work for the officials.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 22, 2021, 07:37:14 pm by idler »
Easy way to do it is flag anyone offside as the ball is kicked.
The defenders have to keep one eye on those behind them whereas the attacker can take a chance every time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 22, 2021, 07:44:17 pm by drfchound »
Irrespective of whether the spirit of the law is broken, the actual law of the game is that it wasn’t offside.
This was confirmed afterwards too.
Has no one noticed that recently when we have had a free kick which is going to be knocked into the opponents box that Fej stands in an offside position, a couple of yards behind the defensive line, then moves onside as the ball has been played.
If anything falls to him he is deemed to be onside under the current rules.

They are offside if they get on the end of the first ball in but not if it is turned into their path by another player who was onside from the first ball.
A bit like the Palace goal at our place a couple of years back.

That is done by multiple players by every team whenever they get a free kick into the box and is entirely different to the situation under discussion.  In your example players move back in line with the last defender before the ball is kicked, otherwise they're offside.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 22, 2021, 10:17:29 pm by 5 on Tour »
For me the striker is still in the same phase of play as when the ball was played forward. He has gone straight from an offside position into a situation where he is impacting play.

The offside rule is a complete joke nowadays. You either are or aren’t. Parts of your body you can score with can be offside but when these measurements on VAR are using armpit hair to decide it’s gone too far.

If they make the rules any more ambiguous then they might as well remove officials from the game and let every decision be made by a computer.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 22, 2021, 10:44:51 pm by drfchound »
For me the striker is still in the same phase of play as when the ball was played forward. He has gone straight from an offside position into a situation where he is impacting play.

The offside rule is a complete joke nowadays. You either are or aren’t. Parts of your body you can score with can be offside but when these measurements on VAR are using armpit hair to decide it’s gone too far.

If they make the rules any more ambiguous then they might as well remove officials from the game and let every decision be made by a computer.

I agree 5on tour.
I was just citing an example.
The rules are the rules.
The refs have to apply them, they don’t make them.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 26, 2021, 06:32:34 pm by afro goal machine »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 26, 2021, 06:38:49 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Good, common sense prevails.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 26, 2021, 06:57:08 pm by selby »
  look at the result

welloffside

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 26, 2021, 07:46:41 pm by welloffside »

There was (is?) a line in the rules that said 'interfering with play'

I somehow remember Brian Clough saying words (about one of his own players )to the effect " if he wasn't interfering wth play in that position I'd like to know why not"

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 26, 2021, 09:40:25 pm by drfchound »
Didn’t he say “if he isn’t interfering with play he shouldn’t be on the pitch”.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 26, 2021, 09:43:37 pm by phil o sophical »
He did indeed

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 26, 2021, 10:02:28 pm by phil o sophical »
I wonder what Dean Smith thinks

TinyPortal © 2005-2012