Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 02:06:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Channel crossing record beat.(again and again and again)  (Read 37675 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: Channel crossing record beat.(again and again and again)
« Reply #510 on January 25, 2023, 02:12:44 pm by ncRover »
Where did I say the UK was now a developing country? Not sure I catch your drift.

That is interesting Sydney I didn’t know that. Correlation doesn’t equal causation in that case. But, there should not be a limit on 2 children there at all. Given the effect that a declining and top-heavy population will have on the economy, people need to be given financial incentives to have more children. And immigration should not be restricted any more.

There are also likely cultural influences as to why people are having less children as well. If women leave it later to pursue career they are less likely to successfully get pregnant. Not to mention declining male sperm counts. Time to promote family values again?

Thankfully I can’t see us going back to the anti-immigration sentiment of the brexit era.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #511 on January 25, 2023, 02:25:38 pm by Ldr »
So you think the uk is a developing country now nc, I know we have gone way backwards under tory rule but how far back is the question.

Appreciate your opinion Syd (and agree with it) but less if this “We” aye? You ain’t one of us anymore

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #512 on January 25, 2023, 06:50:50 pm by SydneyRover »
Where did I say the UK was now a developing country? Not sure I catch your drift.

That is interesting Sydney I didn’t know that. Correlation doesn’t equal causation in that case. But, there should not be a limit on 2 children there at all. Given the effect that a declining and top-heavy population will have on the economy, people need to be given financial incentives to have more children. And immigration should not be restricted any more.

There are also likely cultural influences as to why people are having less children as well. If women leave it later to pursue career they are less likely to successfully get pregnant. Not to mention declining male sperm counts. Time to promote family values again?

Thankfully I can’t see us going back to the anti-immigration sentiment of the brexit era.

Read the link you put up

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #513 on January 25, 2023, 07:01:37 pm by SydneyRover »
So you think the uk is a developing country now nc, I know we have gone way backwards under tory rule but how far back is the question.

Appreciate your opinion Syd (and agree with it) but less if this “We” aye? You ain’t one of us anymore

While ever this is going on I will have my say and you'll have to become a mod to stop me so you may as well shut up about it or find another way to stop me.

Maybe you need to put into the forum rules what distance from the ground and the time away from it is that determines how people see themselves and comment Ldr

I was watching ''The US and the Holocaust'' last night, it's all about 'us and them' 'you and me' attitudes and how it all starts and changes so easily.

The uk and australia get a guernsey too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:14:32 pm by SydneyRover »

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #514 on January 25, 2023, 07:20:21 pm by Ldr »

While ever this is going on I will have my say and you'll have to become a mod to stop me so you may as well shut up about it or find another way to stop me.

Maybe you need to put into the forum rules what distance from the ground and the time away from it is that determines how people see themselves and comment Ldr

I was watching ''The US and the Holocaust'' last night, it's all about 'us and them' 'you and me' attitudes and how it all starts and changes so easily.

The uk and australia get a guernsey too.

Syd I have genuinely no idea what point you are making? Nowhere have I said you can’t or shouldn’t voice your opinion. I just said don’t use “we” as you’re not one of us anymore

We in the uk are definitely going backwards but don’t include yourself in that since you left
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:22:52 pm by Ldr »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #515 on January 25, 2023, 07:24:24 pm by SydneyRover »
Why should I care what you do and don't understand?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #516 on January 25, 2023, 07:43:25 pm by ncRover »

Read the link you put up

You’re not making any sense to me. I was quoting the conclusion. You’ve read the first sentence by the looks of it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:56:08 pm by ncRover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #517 on January 25, 2023, 07:57:55 pm by SydneyRover »
The opening para of your link states the focus is on developing countries and tries for most of the rest to link that to all other countries with varying degrees of success. Show me where it has been peer reviewed.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #518 on March 07, 2023, 11:45:05 am by normal rules »
Seems the govt are pressing ahead with this new law , which will push the boundaries of legislation.
It will be interesting to see the detail in it.
Albanians now form the majority of boat crossings.
And I understand the uk govt already has some sort of memorandum of understanding in place for them to take back their own Nationals.
And so, the only action I can see in the future for this to properly send out the message is detain on arrival, house securely and as soon as possible fly them back to Tirana.
No delay. No messing around. No asylum application. No argument.
Only then will this been seen to be a success. And only then will the message get out that our borders are secure.
Get this right and the Tories get my vote at the next GE. I suspect I’m not alone in this philosophy either.
The other countries will be more interesting. I can’t see there being any such arrangement for countries like Eritrea, Libya, Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #519 on March 07, 2023, 11:55:03 am by ravenrover »
Interview on Beeb this morning only 21 sent back out of  20,000 if I heard correctly.
Also this "law" will take years to come into force, if it actually does.
Who knows where these people will be returned, as apart from Albania we have no return agreement in place so I wonder where the safe country is that they will be returned to.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 01:14:52 pm by ravenrover »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #520 on March 07, 2023, 01:16:26 pm by normal rules »
The longer it takes to come into force, the more harm will come to the tories chances of re election. This is their latest high profile “we will sort it “ policy. They will be judged on its outcome .
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 03:55:48 pm by normal rules »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #521 on March 07, 2023, 03:04:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's got sweet FA to do with actually solving the problem. It's all about keeping angry people angry.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #522 on March 07, 2023, 04:24:55 pm by tommy toes »
They've got no agreements,other than Albania. There's nowhere to send them to.
It's all smoke and mirrors and a handy tool for the Tories in the culture war as an awful lot of people are up in arms about this, and despite it being way down the list of real problems we've got, the likes of Braverman will keep stirring it up and banging Britain for the British drum.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #523 on March 07, 2023, 05:17:54 pm by wilts rover »
The last idea they came up with - send them to Rwanada - cost the British taxpayer £200 million and deported exactly 0 people. I can see this having about the same effect for the same cost.

Sunak & Braverman promising things they know they cant deliver - and then blaming it on everyone else.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #524 on March 07, 2023, 05:25:37 pm by drfchound »

Sunak & Braverman promising things they know they cant deliver.

Wilts, I know you won’t mind me saying this……. That phrase of your sounds a bit like being in opposition.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #525 on March 07, 2023, 08:16:51 pm by wilts rover »

Wilts, I know you won’t mind me saying this……. That phrase of your sounds a bit like being in opposition.

Unfortunately for us hound - quite a lot of the time they act like it too. Practicing for 18 months time I suppose.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #526 on March 07, 2023, 08:18:29 pm by wilts rover »
I thought this summed them up well:

The Tories - tough with
nurses
refugees
rail workers
climate change protestors

- easy with
tax evaders
PPE VIPs
sewage dumpers
lying ex PMs

Strong with the weak and weak with the strong.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1633170702160338946

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #527 on March 07, 2023, 10:38:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I get that it's about playing politics and holding on to the one thing the Tories have (the appeal to benighted nationalism) but there's something so utterly obscene about this woman trying to make out we are some paragon of decency for saving people from Afghanistan, and complaining that our asylum system is overwhelmed, when we have blocked pretty much all legal forms of asylum claim and left people who worked for our army in Afghanistan to fend for themselves.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1633022905628884992

She's a frightening moral stain on our country. I hope to God she never gets near power again after next year.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #528 on March 07, 2023, 10:55:16 pm by drfchound »

Unfortunately for us hound - quite a lot of the time they act like it too. Practicing for 18 months time I suppose.

Agreed wilts.
Everything will change after the next GE.
It’s going to be great.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #529 on March 07, 2023, 11:00:45 pm by normal rules »
After tonight’s shit show, I wonder if any of these asylum seekers play football?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #530 on March 08, 2023, 01:04:39 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Read this from UNHCR.

This isn't Russia or China or some other nationalistic dictatorship they are talking about.

It's the UK. In the 21st Century.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #531 on March 08, 2023, 10:29:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Like I say, this disgusting cabal has nothing left but the Culture War.

https://twitter.com/SophiaSleigh/status/1633112409341583360?s=20

That's what is at the root of this awful new law.

It won't stop crossings. It's can't stop crossings. It's not intended to stop crossings.

The best possible outcome for the Govt, I'd say the very intention of the legislation is that it should be declared in breach of the ECHR.

Then Braverman can put on her Bodecia act and wind up the target audience with "See! It's those interfering do gooders in Brussels to blame!"

Everything aimed at making angry people even angrier.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #532 on March 08, 2023, 10:53:57 am by normal rules »
The perceived failure of the govt to get to grips with this will be their final un doing.
And then it’s over the Labour Party no doubt.
Who will oversee the continuing, uncontrolled waves of incomers.
And I’m not seeing any constructive plan coming out of starmer for this eventuality. Just criticism aimed at the govt.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #533 on March 08, 2023, 10:59:20 am by SydneyRover »
braverman has said they are breaking the law, so why don't the police charge them? is she lying or the police not doing there job?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #534 on March 08, 2023, 11:01:14 am by MachoMadness »
If this law was in place from 1900 most of my family would have ended up being wiped out. I'd never have been born. It's highly unlikely my wife's family would be here either.

This bill is monstrous and must be opposed as such.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #535 on March 08, 2023, 11:04:04 am by SydneyRover »
And, there is estimated to be around 1 million living undocumented in the country, we don't here much about that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #536 on March 08, 2023, 11:14:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
And meanwhile, once again my brother in law who was born, raised and schooled to the age of 8 in the UK, to a father with indefinite leave to remain, is hitting a brick wall with this disgusting Home Office when he tries to exercise his right to receive a British passport. Once again HE is being asked to provide written proof that his father had leave to remain, despite the fact that his father died in chaotic circumstances when he was only 8 years old. Despite his father having lived, married, worked, raised two families, run three companies and paid taxes in the UK, the Home Office has no record of him.

Most people in this country have no idea whatsoever of this callous incompetence, and how it f**ks up people's lives.

Worse, I think there's a decent proportion of the population who really don't care what is done in their name.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #537 on March 08, 2023, 11:19:07 am by SydneyRover »
Anything for a vote, one of the ukip ones I'd imagine.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #538 on March 08, 2023, 12:05:41 pm by belton rover »
And meanwhile, once again my brother in law who was born, raised and schooled to the age of 8 in the UK, to a father with indefinite leave to remain, is hitting a brick wall with this disgusting Home Office when he tries to exercise his right to receive a British passport. Once again HE is being asked to provide written proof that his father had leave to remain, despite the fact that his father died in chaotic circumstances when he was only 8 years old. Despite his father having lived, married, worked, raised two families, run three companies and paid taxes in the UK, the Home Office has no record of him.

Most people in this country have no idea whatsoever of this callous incompetence, and how it f**ks up people's lives.

Worse, I think there's a decent proportion of the population who really don't care what is done in their name.
I think one of the problems is that for all the genuine cases like your brother-in-law’s, there are, no doubt, many fraudulent claims for a British passport. As harsh as it sounds, talking someone’s word for it just opens the floodgates for false claims to be accepted.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #539 on March 08, 2023, 01:51:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I see Cruella sent out an email to Tory activists yesterday saying their previous plans had been thwarted by "an activist blob of left lawyers, civil servants and the Labour party" and saying that anyone who was against the Govt policy was disloyal to the country.

This from the moral vacuum who refused to condemn rioters who tried to storm an asylum seekers' accommodation centre.

And the Tory MPs are up in arms about someone calling out facism for what it is. She's not even trying to put a façade on it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012