Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:11:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Players we have bought...  (Read 4011 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Players we have bought...
« on August 15, 2019, 02:53:02 pm by GazLaz »
Who was the last player we bought from a league club that was actually a first team regular and wanted by the club they were at. We paid fees for Marquis and Whiteman but neither were in the first team at their respective clubs. I believe we paid a fee for James but he wasn’t wanted by Sunderland and was going to be third choice. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Players we have bought...
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2019, 02:55:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
‘Bought’ is a flexible term, but the lad Taylor was I believe still wanted by Rotherham United but he chose to come to us. No fee involved, but our contract offer would have been substantial.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2019, 02:56:32 pm by Jonathan »
Who was the last player we bought from a league club that was actually a first team regular and wanted by the club they were at. We paid fees for Marquis and Whiteman but neither were in the first team at their respective clubs. I believe we paid a fee for James but he wasn’t wanted by Sunderland and was going to be third choice. 

No fee was paid for Marquis. He was a great bit of business for us.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2019, 03:05:49 pm by Bollinger »
I think Whitman was a reluctant parting of the ways. United thought he had a longer term part to play even though he wasn't  a first team regular. A lot of their fans thought he might well 'do a Billy Sharp' and end up back there.

Anyway in response to the OP off the top of my head my best guess would be James Hayter?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 15, 2019, 03:06:07 pm by GazLaz »
‘Bought’ is a flexible term, but the lad Taylor was I believe still wanted by Rotherham United but he chose to come to us. No fee involved, but our contract offer would have been substantial.

Taylor was a free agent though.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 15, 2019, 03:09:55 pm by RoversAlias »
Is it Alex Kiwomya? I believe we paid Chelsea for him, even if he wasn't a member of their first team.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 15, 2019, 03:10:21 pm by Jonathan »
James Hayter and George Friend are good examples. Ross Etheridge is a less successful example.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 15, 2019, 03:11:23 pm by wing commander »
Well if you believe the Rotherham fans Taylor was offered a new contract at the end of last season..He declined it as Championship clubs were interested in signing him..That didn't materialise and apparently his agent went back to Rotherham and asked if the contract was still available..Rotherham declined as they had already replaced him.....Then he turns up here..

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 15, 2019, 03:11:38 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Harry Forrester?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 15, 2019, 03:12:10 pm by Chris Black come back »

I know. That was my point. We didn’t pay a fee for him as such, but he was wanted by Rotherham United but he preferred to leave and come to us. He did not sign their contract offer, he signed our offer. There was no fee as such to be paid, but this would to all intents been baked into our contract offer.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 15, 2019, 03:13:01 pm by GazLaz »
James Hayter and George Friend are good examples. Ross Etheridge is a less successful example.

Friend was signed from Wolves wasn’t he? Did he even play for them?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2019, 03:14:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Why ask the question when all you're boiling down to is a lack of ambition in your opinion. Don't skirt round it!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2019, 03:16:38 pm by dickos1 »

I know. That was my point. We didn’t pay a fee for him as such, but he was wanted by Rotherham United but he preferred to leave and come to us. He did not sign their contract offer, he signed our offer. There was no fee as such to be paid, but this would to all intents been baked into our contract offer.

He didn’t decline it to sign for us, he declined it because he wanted to stay in the championship and had clubs interested in him from the championship.
Rotherham gave him a deadline to resign and he didn’t.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2019, 03:17:19 pm by dickos1 »

Why ask the question when all you're boiling down to is a lack of ambition in your opinion. Don't skirt round it!

Why are people so defensive, it’s a valid point to discuss

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 15, 2019, 03:18:38 pm by Jonathan »

Exeter. And yes, I think he was their captain.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 15, 2019, 03:21:40 pm by keith79 »
The lad from Sunderland. We paid money for him

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 15, 2019, 03:24:27 pm by vaya »
Mason?

Not a regular though, reading the OP through properly.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 15, 2019, 03:26:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Oh come on. You know it's a loaded question!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 15, 2019, 03:38:17 pm by steve@dcfd »

Oh come on. You know it's a loaded question!

Supporters are talking about the Barnsley way but unless you are a level 2  Academy and can get 1/2/3 players to sell then you either have to pick up good free agents or pay for them. We have had a free agent in Marquis which we have got money for. We paid for Whiteman after loan hopefully he will progress with us or we sell for a profit.

But buying players is not in the Doncaster DNA at the moment unless we have to like James. Buying a striker wasn’t it Billy were the current owners involved at that time?  So we continue with our way thinking about ambition and promotion and hoping we can achieve it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:51:28 pm by steve@dcfd »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2019, 03:42:05 pm by Chris Black come back »

He didn’t decline it to sign for us, he declined it because he wanted to stay in the championship and had clubs interested in him from the championship.
Rotherham gave him a deadline to resign and he didn’t.

I did not say that he declined to sign it for us.

He had an offer on the table at Rotherham United that he could have signed. He was wanted by that club. They offered him a deal to stay.

He did not sign their deal. He signed our deal.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:46:16 pm by Chris Black come back »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2019, 03:44:31 pm by dickos1 »
So nothing to do with the original question then

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2019, 03:46:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
He was a first team regular and wanted by his club. They offered him a new deal so that he would stay with them.

He is now our player.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2019, 03:47:58 pm by steve@dcfd »
He was a first team regular and wanted by his club. They offered him a new deal so that he would stay with them.

He is now our player.
But he was a free agent we did not buy him. Yes we will pay wages maybe a signing on fee but we did not pay  a transfer fee.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2019, 03:49:06 pm by GazLaz »

It’s not a loaded question. It’s not really been the way we operate and we’ve still been fairly successful over the last 15 years. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2019, 03:52:11 pm by dickos1 »

He is now our player.

As I said it’s nothing to do with the original question which was the last player we’ve bought who was a regular.
We’ve signed plenty of free transfers who were previously playing regular for their club

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2019, 03:53:35 pm by Chris Black come back »

He is now our player.
But he was a free agent we did not buy him. Yes we will pay wages maybe a signing on fee but we did not pay  a transfer fee.

As you suggest, there would have been some element of an additional fee built in to his contract in order to secure him. Whether this went to the club or to the player, we have through the offer likely had to pay more than Rotherham we’re going to offer him in order to get him to come here. That is in essence a ‘fee’ we have paid due to him being out of contract.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 15, 2019, 04:05:35 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Exeter. And yes, I think he was their captain.

Was on loan at Exeter from Wolves.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2019, 04:07:59 pm by dickos1 »
As is usually the case I don’t really understand your point.
But rather than turning another thread of tit for tat let’s just leave it there

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 15, 2019, 04:17:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
How can you tell if a club still wanted a player when they were prepared to sell them to us?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 15, 2019, 04:20:36 pm by dickos1 »
In some cases I guess you can,
I’m sure Bournemouth would’ve wanted to keep hayter, it was evident we would have loved to keep marquis, mills, wellens, Sharp etc

TinyPortal © 2005-2012