Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:22:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FourFourTwo  (Read 1271 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: FourFourTwo
« Reply #1 on April 25, 2024, 07:38:43 pm by roversdude »
Was anyone really looking over their shoulder at National League - I certainly wasn’t
Did hear many people laughing at the meet the owner event when Grant mentioned play offs either.
Definitely a bit of artistic journalism going on
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:40:57 pm by roversdude »

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 25, 2024, 07:49:56 pm by RoversInSpain »
You must have nerves of steel.
In the week leading upto the Sutton away game, we were 4 points ahead of them and they had a game midweek v Harrogate then us.
If they’d have beaten Harrogate and us they’d have been 1 point behind us. That was not a pleasant outlook.
They lost , just! To Harrogate and due to their keeper having some kind of Niagra Falls like rush of blood to flatten Joe, we squeezed a 98th minute equaliser.
I for one was looking over my shoulder and it was a very dark abyss.
Aiming for playoffs in January, was so unfunny I didn’t even manage a laugh.
But that’s Footy eh

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 25, 2024, 07:51:56 pm by drfchound »
We were denied two other clear cut penalties in the Sutton game though.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 25, 2024, 07:52:23 pm by roversdude »
Thing is we weren’t playing terrible - never imagined this though

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 25, 2024, 08:05:18 pm by MachoMadness »
I was definitely looking over my shoulder around the Sutton game. We were in shocking form, playing absolutely awful stuff, had been outplayed by Sutton and were lucky to nick a point with a late penalty. It was grim, we were so fragile defensively and created next to nothing going forward. Basically the complete opposite of how we're playing now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 25, 2024, 09:38:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Once anyone really looking over their shoulder at National League - I certainly wasn’t
Did hear many people laughing at the meet the owner event when Grant mentioned play offs either.

Funnily enough, I've just watched the Meet the Owners event again. On reflection there was some prophetic responses from Grant and Terry, that could be excused for being greeted with an element of sceptism .

Perhaps on second viewing, more relevance to Terry saying he likes to win while inferring being irritated by Harrogate being above us in the table. Also he said, I can't explain why but I'm excited!! (About the challenge of Chairmanship and turning the club around)

I actually didn't realise, it was during Grants response to my question, that he said "We've got 21 games left of the season, we want to win as many as possible. You're all going to think I'm mad, but I've still got half an eye on that top 7"  Definitely no laughter and greeted with a hearty round of applause.

Probably easy to say in hindsight, but I genuinely think there's a huge amount of respect between TB and McCann and Terry will make sure Grant gets the support he needs to WIN!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 25, 2024, 09:44:36 pm by roversdude »
I was definitely looking over my shoulder around the Sutton game. We were in shocking form, playing absolutely awful stuff, had been outplayed by Sutton and were lucky to nick a point with a late penalty. It was grim, we were so fragile defensively and created next to nothing going forward. Basically the complete opposite of how we're playing now.
Funny game football never thought we were outplayed by Sutton and should have had 2pens earlier

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 25, 2024, 09:51:40 pm by ncRover »
I posted on here after listening to MTO and said something like “Grant targeting play offs isn’t helpful for the players” :lol:

His and Cliff’s subsequent reframing of the objective with the 18 game mini table was genius to focus the players. Goal setting in action.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 25, 2024, 10:17:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I posted on here after listening to MTO and said something like “Grant targeting play offs isn’t helpful for the players” :lol:

His and Cliff’s subsequent reframing of the objective with the 18 game mini table was genius to focus the players. Goal setting in action.

Absolutely. That was the day we signed Matthew Craig plus he spoke about another forward, which turned out to be Adelakun but he clearly had confidence in what he and Cliff were doing on the training ground to get the message across.  9 January 2024 when he said it but we didn't win another game until 10 Feb!!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 26, 2024, 12:40:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Was anyone really looking over their shoulder at National League - I certainly wasn’t
Yes, many of us were looking at a relegation dogfight and we WERE playing absolute dogshite.

At 95 minutes in the Sutton match our live form was

P10 W1 D2 L7 F7 A23 PTS5.

That's about as bad as it gets and it is what makes the flip to this form so astonishing.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 26, 2024, 01:16:57 pm by Northants Nomad »

I was at 95 mins against Sutton, for sure!!  Bad decisions, injuries, luck - everything seemed to be against us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012