Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:51:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations  (Read 311852 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Negotiations
« Reply #840 on February 11, 2018, 08:09:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well this has gone off in an odd direction.

We were discussing Brexit. Now we appear to be observers to Sproty’s fantasies of World War Yet To Come. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #841 on February 11, 2018, 08:28:53 pm by wilts rover »
Latest you gov poll has tories 4 points ahead bit surprised, but think it shows if correct labour will struggle to get in power with Corbyn in charge

The Tories have had small leads in three polls this week. Says a lot about Labour because even under normal circumstances you'd expect the Opposition to have a poll lead at this stage of a Parliament.

So much for all those scare stories about 'the rebels' not destabilising May or they would let Corbyn in. Each time she has had a problem her ratings have gone up! So there is obviously no problem in 'the dream team' kicking her out and calling a GE to legitimise their view of Brexit -as McDonnell called for on the tv this morning. That would show him!

It is really strange how every time that May has had a problem - hre ratings have gone up. It's almost as if Labour had told their supporters that if they were asked by the pollsters who they would vote for then say Tory - as no way would there be an early election if Labour had a lead. But who could think that, its the sort of thing that only happens on tv dramas.

Still if they are deserting Labour its not because they want a party that promises remain, the Lib Dems have hardly increased.

Isn't Yougov owned by Nadhim Zahawi btw, one of the arch-Breixteers in cabinet? Hmmm.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #842 on February 11, 2018, 08:36:56 pm by German Rover »
Nope. It's nowhere near that one armoured regiment, one armoured infantry battalion. One regiment of engineers soon to be a squadron, one regiment of artillery and a field hospital. A couple of independent companies, doing police and intelligence. Add in a couple of headquarters.

The units out there are massively undermanned. I'm currently serving at the minute and have to deal with an ever increasing list of tasks and an ever shrinking list of soldiers to do them.

As for the flying troops in, not a chance would this work, there aren't the numbers to do it and the RAF don't have enough airframe to do it. Britain doesn't have the capability to do it alone any more. We would rely on a huge influx of Americans to help shore up Europe. NATO is the best thing going for us, as is the EU.

Brexir has down discord between us and the rest of Europe and this can only be bad for NATO. Not only that my wages are worth less now than they were before the brexit vote. My own morale is at an all time low never mind the lads who work for me.

8 Globemaster,24 Hercules,60 chinook......that's 4,000 troops easily over to Germany in 2 hours.

Wouldn't work, how many of those airframes are taskworthy at any one time. Its not even half id venture.

Also 2 hours? Do you think the army are sat on their Bergens waiting for the nod. Nope they're on leave, they're on courses. They're on exercise. They're on the sick injured. They're anywhere but sat in the barracks waiting to go.

Where are they going to leave from? The airfields will be targeted by strategic bombers immediately as will all the ports.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #843 on February 11, 2018, 09:03:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wilts

Course it couldn’t be that, prior to this weekend, nothing has been seen of Corbyn and McDonnell for 6 months?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #844 on February 11, 2018, 09:46:30 pm by wilts rover »
We'll see at the next GE wont we Billy - although the May Council elections may give us a pointer.

Back on topic I found these two polls far more interesting:
20% of people think the Brexit negotiations will have no effect at to the final outcome, 18% think it will be bad whatever whilst 17% think it will be a success whatever.
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/what-do-public-want-brexit-negotiations/

While 74% of people think the government's plan are unclear - 17% think they are clear:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-poll-new-public-dont-know-theresa-may-government-ideas-goals-brussels-negotiations-a8203291.html

What a strange time we are living in....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #845 on February 11, 2018, 09:53:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Now I’m struggling Wilts. Is that poll from the same YouGov that you were hinting might be less than trustworthy in your previous post?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #846 on February 11, 2018, 10:22:58 pm by Sprotyrover »
Nope. It's nowhere near that one armoured regiment, one armoured infantry battalion. One regiment of engineers soon to be a squadron, one regiment of artillery and a field hospital. A couple of independent companies, doing police and intelligence. Add in a couple of headquarters.

The units out there are massively undermanned. I'm currently serving at the minute and have to deal with an ever increasing list of tasks and an ever shrinking list of soldiers to do them.

As for the flying troops in, not a chance would this work, there aren't the numbers to do it and the RAF don't have enough airframe to do it. Britain doesn't have the capability to do it alone any more. We would rely on a huge influx of Americans to help shore up Europe. NATO is the best thing going for us, as is the EU.

Brexir has down discord between us and the rest of Europe and this can only be bad for NATO. Not only that my wages are worth less now than they were before the brexit vote. My own morale is at an all time low never mind the lads who work for me.

8 Globemaster,24 Hercules,60 chinook......that's 4,000 troops easily over to Germany in 2 hours.

Wouldn't work, how many of those airframes are taskworthy at any one time. Its not even half id venture.

Also 2 hours? Do you think the army are sat on their Bergens waiting for the nod. Nope they're on leave, they're on courses. They're on exercise. They're on the sick injured. They're anywhere but sat in the barracks waiting to go.

Where are they going to leave from? The airfields will be targeted by strategic bombers immediately as will all the ports.

Probably all are airworthy they ain't got the life of a Monarch airlines jet!
Which seem to be in the air for 20 hours a day every day. Military kit is built to an even higher standard. In any case we wouldn't even need a strategic airlift to get 20 k troops to Germany we merely commandeer the civil fleet, aka Atlantic conveyor.

The biggest issue for Hm Forces would be getting a second Armoured division across the North Sea, that would be hard work.

If we have the equipment on site staffing. An armoured Division with personnel from the uk can be achieved in 48 hours. Provided we are in a situation where we have time to react A pre emotive strike is a different matter.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #847 on February 11, 2018, 10:24:47 pm by RedJ »
To a war that nobody other than you is even contemplating...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #848 on February 11, 2018, 10:27:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Sproty

Is this invasion before or after we pull out of the Custom’s Union?

If it’s after, the troops wouldn’t be able to get to Dover for trucks backing up the M2.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #849 on February 11, 2018, 10:42:19 pm by hoolahoop »

Probably all are airworthy they ain't got the life of a Monarch airlines jet!
Which seem to be in the air for 20 hours a day every day. Military kit is built to an even higher standard. In any case we wouldn't even need a strategic airlift to get 20 k troops to Germany we merely commandeer the civil fleet, aka Atlantic conveyor.

The biggest issue for Hm Forces would be getting a second Armoured division across the North Sea, that would be hard work.

If we have the equipment on site staffing. An armoured Division with personnel from the uk can be achieved in 48 hours. Provided we are in a situation where we have time to react A pre emotive strike is a different matter.

I can't believe I'm reading all this and who is to hold the Russians up then - they could have 500k men pouring over the border in the first 12 hours with back--up oh and the nuclear arsenal in Kaliningrad could hold us up .
London would be in ashes before that imaginary 2 hours was over . No wonder we have a problem and a vote like that with such muddled thinking !!

All this talk of a " war cabinet " is messing our perceptions up - some think we will be at war soon ; wtf is going on here ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:00:09 pm by hoolahoop »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #850 on February 11, 2018, 11:00:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Sproty

Is this invasion before or after we pull out of the Custom’s Union?

If it’s after, the troops wouldn’t be able to get to Dover for trucks backing up the M2.

Nah, they'll all be needed patrol the Irish border instead.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #851 on February 12, 2018, 02:06:35 pm by MachoMadness »
Hmm. Unironically posting about pulling troops out of Europe, and invading. But it's remainers who are spitting the dummy out.

This thread is weird.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #852 on February 12, 2018, 02:45:12 pm by tommy toes »
I wouldn't call caring about the future prosperity of this country and the welfare of future generations due to this ridiculous decision to leave the EU spitting the dummy out. Read BST's recent contributions to see what the impact may well be.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #853 on February 13, 2018, 01:32:24 am by hoolahoop »
Hmm. Unironically posting about pulling troops out of Europe, and invading. But it's remainers who are spitting the dummy out.

This thread is weird.

Well well well you have been following all of this closely haven't you . " spitting dummies out " the best you can come out with MM about the biggest decision this country has faced for nigh on a century ?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #854 on February 13, 2018, 08:34:43 am by Glyn_Wigley »

This thread is weird.

Well well well you have been following all of this closely haven't you . " spitting dummies out " the best you can come out with MM about the biggest decision this country has faced for nigh on a century ?

Not only that, I'd have thought the thought of pulling our troops out of EU countries in an act of petulance by a Brexiteer who wasn't getting what they wanted was the biggest dummy being spat.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #855 on February 13, 2018, 12:05:15 pm by hoolahoop »

This thread is weird.

More than that it is quite pathetic and doesn't acknowledge current circumstances at all. Brexiters grow up .

Not only that, I'd have thought the thought of pulling our troops out of EU countries in an act of petulance by a Brexiteer who wasn't getting what they wanted was the biggest dummy being spat.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #856 on February 13, 2018, 02:19:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Lads.

I think you've mis-read MM's comments...

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #857 on February 13, 2018, 02:43:25 pm by MachoMadness »
sarcasm
/ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #858 on February 13, 2018, 02:50:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
sarcasm
/ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun

How do you convey sarcasm in the written word?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #859 on February 13, 2018, 04:04:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Bloody 'ell, a clique tiff!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #860 on February 13, 2018, 04:18:21 pm by MachoMadness »
sarcasm
/ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun

A question for the ages, that one Glyn. Far cleverer than us have pondered it and got nowhere. Still, yes, I was using sarcasm to point out the ridiculousness of a Brexiteer accusing others of spitting the dummy out while simultaneously talking about invading Europe, or some other such nonsense.

BB, it's almost as if there isn't a single "remainer" mindset and people are free to agree, disagree, and interpret things differently. As a remain voter yourself I imagine you know that though and are just being a mischievous little tyke again.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #861 on February 13, 2018, 04:48:11 pm by Sprotyrover »
sarcasm
/ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun

Right you morons when I have I said we would invade Europe?
A question for the ages, that one Glyn. Far cleverer than us have pondered it and got nowhere. Still, yes, I was using sarcasm to point out the ridiculousness of a Brexiteer accusing others of spitting the dummy out while simultaneously talking about invading Europe, or some other such nonsense.

BB, it's almost as if there isn't a single "remainer" mindset and people are free to agree, disagree, and interpret things differently. As a remain voter yourself I imagine you know that though and are just being a mischievous little tyke again.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #862 on February 13, 2018, 05:00:47 pm by Sprotyrover »
That got lost in the quote....Right you Morons when did I say out about invading Europe?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #863 on February 13, 2018, 05:17:37 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
That got lost in the quote....Right you Morons when did I say out about invading Europe?

or some other such nonsense

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #864 on February 13, 2018, 05:24:44 pm by wilts rover »

What you mean its off? I was just getting my gear ready...

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #865 on February 13, 2018, 05:48:49 pm by Sprotyrover »
Wilts I just PMSL. I'm sorry if you got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
I made an assumption that all of that spare kit we now have since downsizing the army is in storage in Germany so we could hastily mobilise an Armoured division.
It looks like we are on the cusp of totally pulling out of Germany by 2020.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #866 on February 13, 2018, 08:32:04 pm by hoolahoop »
sarcasm
/ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun

Sorry MM missed that , I thought you had joined SprotyRover in his war bunker. He's been working out how easily we can get 50,000 troops barracked and supplied onto presumably the Polish and German borders. Think he's getting our Spitfires and Hurricanes out of mothballs quickly as well ?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #867 on February 13, 2018, 08:43:07 pm by tommy toes »
Sorry too MM. ☝What hoola just said.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #868 on February 14, 2018, 07:49:49 am by Donnywolf »
sarcasm
/ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun

The convention a while back was to colour such comments purple and in italics BUT - like my attempts at humour the convention seems to have died a death

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #869 on February 14, 2018, 09:06:25 am by Bentley Bullet »
The purple for sarcasm idea was a great one, and whoever thought of it should take great credit. I still use it, and would have done on this occasion, but there's too much proximity between sarcasm and the truth on this occasion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012