Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:01:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger  (Read 5319 times)

George Carter

• Forum Member
Coppinger
« on July 18, 2017, 10:10:31 pm by George Carter »
He Was the best player on the pitch by a country mile tonight....... it doesnt matter how old he gets because he still has the quality to turn us from a good team to a great team!!!

The best and fittest professional in over 40 years of watching us by a mile.  Nobody else comes close!!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Coppinger
« Reply #1 on July 18, 2017, 10:21:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's simple, the orchestra needs a conductor. When he came on we were more in tune.

As we saw last season when he comes off, things fall apart. We must solve this problem.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 18, 2017, 10:35:57 pm by chrisd_123 »
Leaving the ground I looked back onto the pitch and saw Richard Keogh grab Copps in a headlock! (Playfully, of course)

You could see in his face that he was glad the game was over because Copps had ripped him to shreads in that second half. What a player.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 18, 2017, 10:37:53 pm by drfchound »
What was the final score and who scored please.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 18, 2017, 10:43:37 pm by Filo »
What was the final score and who scored please.

1-1 Keogh for Derby and Rowe for Rovers

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 18, 2017, 11:14:46 pm by RoversAlias »
Yes, MOTM showing from Copps for me. Drifted past Championship players with ease time and time again. Adds a different dimension to our team that no one else can match.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 18, 2017, 11:43:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Think this is season 13 for him with us.

Have seen them all and what a time to be alive.

Gu on lad.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 19, 2017, 12:01:59 am by balbyrover »
Think this is season 13 for him with us.

Have seen them all and what a time to be alive.

Gu on lad.

Incredible player. Be a very sad day for the club when he finally hangs the boots up.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 19, 2017, 09:03:00 am by Goole Rover »
And as a bonus a great bloke off the field. A super ambassador for the game.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 19, 2017, 09:11:29 am by Bessie Red »
I reckon he has been working closely with Alfie Beestin, because Alfie was teasing & probing in a very similar way to Copps last night. Obviously Copps' talent is natural but he can give a young player like Alfie so much knowledge on how to play.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 19, 2017, 09:41:46 am by ZiggerZagger »
Have to say Copps was in a different class last night. The highlight of the game for me was the 3/4 times he linked up with young Beeston. It was like watching Copps playing with a young version of himself, I can't remember the last time I've seen a defence torn to bits by quick passing, skill and no fear when they attacked their defence. I did notice Copps gave him a big hug and a good finger waging while smiling at him at the end of the game. I wonder if Copps has seen something in him and taken him under his wing, so to speak

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 19, 2017, 11:25:53 am by chrisd_123 »
One more great thing about him is his influence on everyone else. He's such a calming figure for both players and fans.

Even though it was only a friendly, there was a couple of things Beestin got wrong defensively and Derby got in behind a couple of times on his side. You can get players who would have battered Beestin for it but on numerous occasions I saw Copps just speak to him and show him where he went wrong and what to do better.

One was the ball over the top where Beestin went for the head along with Mason and they both missed it. Copps seemed to gesture to him that he should have dropped back to cover...Next time the ball went over that way, he did just that.

On Beestin, looked very good going forward and I can't envisage him really playing RWB very often. He did well overall.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 19, 2017, 03:44:18 pm by drfchound »
It is hard to imagine our team without Copps in it.
Hopefully the manager won't feel the need to play him for 70 minutes every week because it cost us a few points towards the end of last season.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 19, 2017, 05:24:59 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Enjoy him while you can. There aren't many coming off the 'production line' like this fella......not to Donny anyway.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 19, 2017, 10:48:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
Can any of our more statistically minded supporters give an idea of what appearance records are left (if any) for Copps to break this season?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 20, 2017, 12:29:09 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Enjoy him while you can. There aren't many coming off the 'production line' like this fella......not to Donny anyway.

He's quite unique. Can't think of any current players that show that level of skill in competitive games. In the past, you had entertainers like Duncan McKenzie, Frank Worthington, Georgie, Tony Currie etc.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 20, 2017, 06:59:17 am by acko »
Copps as probably been the best servant the Rovers have had in the modern era anyway,but as we all know time catches up with everybody and personelly i think this will be Copps last season.Idont know what his plans are for the future only to say it will be a great loss to the game if he decides to go in a different direction to football come his retirement.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 20, 2017, 07:14:04 am by drfc1951 »
Hopefully the manager won't feel the need to play him for 70 minutes every week because it cost us a few points towards the end of last season.
[/quote It was Copps himself that wanted to come off after70 minutes.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 20, 2017, 09:20:37 am by Dutch Uncle »
Can any of our more statistically minded supporters give an idea of what appearance records are left (if any) for Copps to break this season?

Only one I can come up with is first Rovers player to 500 league appearances (currently on 472)

Also 2 more goals would put him equal 6th all time all competitions goal scorer for the club, after Keetley, Jeffrey, Tindill, Kitchen and O'Callaghan. Not bad for a midfielder.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:03:38 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 20, 2017, 09:27:34 am by Bessie Red »
Copps as probably been the best servant the Rovers have had in the modern era anyway,but as we all know time catches up with everybody and personelly i think this will be Copps last season.Idont know what his plans are for the future only to say it will be a great loss to the game if he decides to go in a different direction to football come his retirement.

I would hope the club would give him a role somewhere within the coaching staff if he wanted one.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 20, 2017, 10:32:55 am by Chris Black come back »
No manager would want someone so popular with the fans lurking around behind them.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 20, 2017, 10:35:14 am by RedJ »
I hope to God he never becomes manager because I'd hate to see people turn on him.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 20, 2017, 11:47:51 am by balbyrover »
I hope to God he never becomes manager because I'd hate to see people turn on him.

Me too. Love the bloke and think he will go on to do well whatever he chooses to do after retirement.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 20, 2017, 02:01:33 pm by acko »
Just an inquiry Dutch Uncle where would Clarry Jordon fit among these goalscorers

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 20, 2017, 02:33:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Just an inquiry Dutch Uncle where would Clarry Jordon fit among these goalscorers

Surprisingly low Acko. Although he scored a record 44 (all competitions) in one season in 1946-47 he was transferred half-way through the next season after scoring only another 6 for a total of 50. He did score approximately 63 wartime goals, but I do not count those, or local cups (e.g. Sheffield County Cup)

With the usual caveats that different sources have different goalscorers, so my figures may be 1 or 2 different from others (I am trying to do some cross-checking but it is a long process), the all time leaders in all competitions (minus wartime and local cups) are (approximately):

T.Keetley 186
A.Jeffrey 139
B.Tindill 133
P.Kitchen 107
B.O'Callaghan 77
C.Booth 62
C.Douglas 62
G.Snodin 62
J.Coppinger 60
P.Doherty 60
P.Todd 58
S.Burton 54
P.Heffernan 54
A.Turner 54
R.Harrison 51
C.Jordan 50
R.Walker 50
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:37:54 pm by Dutch Uncle »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 20, 2017, 03:47:36 pm by IDM »
Copps should rise a few places next season then..

And we will all be delighted if Marquis gets onto that list too...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 20, 2017, 08:41:36 pm by RedJ »
Even if he "only" got fifteen in the next two seasons he'd be pretty high up.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 20, 2017, 08:55:36 pm by GazLaz »
60 goals isn't enough from a player with his ability. Wouldn't have stayed with us if he had scored too many more though I suppose.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 20, 2017, 09:07:16 pm by balbyrover »
Coppingers goalscoring record is probably the biggest criticism I could point out.

60 goals for a midfielder at one club certainly isn't too shabby, but as said above he is more than talented enough to have scored more than he has.
His reluctanty to shoot used to really wind me up, It is something that he has improved on in the last few years though.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 20, 2017, 10:04:42 pm by drfchound »
[/quote It was Copps himself that wanted to come off after70 minutes.

I am well aware of that mate.
He was carrying an injury.
I was saying that I hope the MANAGER doesn't decide to bring Copps off after 70 minutes.
As many of us are aware, it cost us some points in those last few games.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012