Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:03:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hindsight  (Read 5341 times)

Drover

• Forum Member
Hindsight
« on May 16, 2012, 11:44:26 am by Drover »
Hindsight Is a wonderful thing.which players do you think Rovers were wrong to let go/release,fail to re-sign or transfer?I'll start with greeny,in hindsight Rovers should have upped their contract offer.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Hindsight
« Reply #1 on May 16, 2012, 12:04:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Greeny, should have offered him one in the January before he left avoiding the Derby offer coming in. Gareth Roberts still had plenty to offer as he is showing at Derby. Shackell, should have given him the captaincy as asked for. Wellens should have given him more and a longer contract.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 16, 2012, 12:16:24 pm by drfcsteve »
Money was always going to be an issue with keeping players, no way could we afford to match what Derby were offering Green and Roberts and Leicester offered Wellens.

If we're talking about hindsight, how many would have gone down the "experiment" with Saunders and McKay route if knew it would end like this?

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 16, 2012, 12:31:38 pm by donnyroversfc »
Everyone that thought the McKay 'experiment' wouldn't end like it did, were very deluded people.

It's not so much keeping the players but more about not investing the money to replace them adequately. The only player we really 'lost' was Paul Green, the rest all left for more money elsewhere.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 16, 2012, 12:36:02 pm by DRNaith »
I think the money WAS reinvested adequately into the running of the club.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 16, 2012, 12:41:16 pm by donnyroversfc »
But not reinvested into the playing squad to replace the players that left, hence why we ended up with a load of shit free transfers that 99% of which were crap. SO'D would still be here if it wasn't for the club being very unambitious and giving him a transfer budget about the same amount as i take out with me on a night out.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 16, 2012, 01:35:08 pm by RoversAlias »
Crofty post about Gordon Greer in 3...2...1...

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 16, 2012, 02:01:02 pm by Drover »
Money was always going to be an issue with keeping players, no way could we afford to match what Derby were offering Green and Roberts and Leicester offered Wellens.

If we're talking about hindsight, how many would have gone down the "experiment" with Saunders and McKay route if knew it would end like this?
Im not in the know or anything,and may be totally wrong,but I was under the impression we would not have had to offer the same as derby to keep Greeny,just offer a good increase to stay with Rovers into the championship.Sod and whoever made the contract decisions,believed he was not worth the extra needed to keep him.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 16, 2012, 03:17:39 pm by Mr1Croft »
Crofty post about Gordon Greer in 3...2...1...

Well look at the stats. He captained a side who only just survived relegation the season before to the play off finals. The following season he captained Brighton to the Championship.

The guy is captain of a Championship Club who put in two very good defensive performances against us and he has had to partner Lewis effing Dunk for most of season, which has meant he has spent many times defending free kicks and playing as a lone centre back in the games was Dunk was dismissed.

Oh and we released him for sweet FA, probably the only player we released who rebuilt his career. He will play in the Premiership!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 16, 2012, 04:28:08 pm by RoversAlias »
I wasn't jibing Lee, you're right, since leaving Greer has proven that he is a very good player who would've been an asset to us.

But I don't think it was the wrong decision to release him when we did.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 16, 2012, 07:04:57 pm by Mr1Croft »
I wasn't jibing Lee, you're right, since leaving Greer has proven that he is a very good player who would've been an asset to us.

But I don't think it was the wrong decision to release him when we did.

When he came back from his horrific injury and went on loan to Swindon for a month. The fans liked him so much the supporters club stumped up the money to extend his loan. After the fans did that gesture he wasn't interested in staying here. But taking in mind we lost Mills months later the CB position has continued to haunt us since that summer.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 16, 2012, 07:19:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Greeny, Shackell, Gareth Roberts.

Wellens & Mills would have gone anyway I think.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 16, 2012, 10:15:18 pm by BobG »
Tony Coleman. Terry Curran. Mike Elwiss. Paul Gilchrist. Michael McIndoe. Brian Deane. Paul Raven. There's hundreds of 'em.

BobG

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 17, 2012, 10:03:55 pm by streatham dave »
Agree with Greer and I'll throw Dave Mulligan into the mix and Heffs.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 18, 2012, 01:04:21 am by Drover »
Stuart Nelson,Dave Mulligan,Mark Mcammon+Paul Heffernan,are all players I think we could have kept if we wanted and was surprised we let them go.Ross MCcormack is another,but I was not so surprised has he just could'nt seem to score in the first team.I had hoped we would keep him though.I watched him score some belters for the reserves and could not understand why he did'nt score more for the first team?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 18, 2012, 10:20:51 am by drfcsteve »
Greeny, Shackell, Gareth Roberts.

Wellens & Mills would have gone anyway I think.

I think there's only really a case for Green. Dingles gazumped us with Shackell and Roberts went to Derby for a last big pay day before retiring. We couldn't just keep offering them more and more money or we'd be in a worse situation that we are in now.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 18, 2012, 11:56:33 pm by Standanista »
Everyone that thought the McKay 'experiment' wouldn't end like it did, were very deluded people.
Ipso facto.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012