Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:28:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager selection update  (Read 92494 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Manager selection update
« on April 21, 2021, 12:51:51 pm by silent majority »
I had a chat with Gavin this morning, and despite last nights performance, he did feel upbeat about our search for a new manager.

From that conversation I understood this;

At the end of play on Monday we'd had 120 applicants.

(and, tongue in cheek, nobody had pulled out because of last nights performance!)

The initial work was to whittle that down to about 80.

From there Gavin will need to provide a list of about 16 which will be discussed with the Chairman on Friday and that will then be presented to the board.

That process of elimination begins today and the idea is to get behind the statistics that prospective managers will have included in their CV. From our discussion it was clear that the CV's that applicants provide is they are all polished and professional and will include things like win ratios, possession percentages etc.

The way to get around that is to verify those claims and to get a better understanding of the individual, to carry out due diligence and to see the individual for what he is, style of play and philosophy for example. The way to do that is to speak to others, and that will include managers at the highest level (and I do mean highest level), players, colleagues, back room staff, club owners and even on occasions fans if we have connections with those.

That list of 16 is then graded using the criteria that the club drew up, and each candidate will be scored. The idea is then to present to the board a list of 5 or 6 who will be asked to attend for interview.

There's also the need to make allowances for a 'left field' candidate, one who might not have all the documented data and years of experience but yet has that certain something that makes them stand out from the crowd, a Grant McCann type of candidate for instance!

I hope that's of interest.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

niteowler

• VSC Member
Re: Manager selection update
« Reply #1 on April 21, 2021, 12:56:36 pm by niteowler »
Many thanks SM for the update, most appreciated .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 21, 2021, 01:01:07 pm by roversdude »
Thanks Martin it’s going to be interesting how we go about keeping a manager going forward.
Is there a remit that the new person can bring in their own team or at least assistant

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 21, 2021, 01:03:53 pm by Pancho Regan »
Thanks Martin.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 21, 2021, 01:06:08 pm by eastender »
Thanks for the update, any indication of the quality of applicants , obviously i don't expect any names.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 21, 2021, 01:08:31 pm by GazLaz »
The last paragraph is an interesting one. I agree fully that you have to keep an open mind with these things. Russell Martin is a good example of that, hear him speak for 10 seconds and it’s obvious he’s got it. Couldn’t let a potential high class manager slip through the net because he doesn’t tick a certain box.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 21, 2021, 01:10:01 pm by Filo »
Butlers current win ratio is 25%

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 21, 2021, 01:10:25 pm by MachoMadness »
Great transparency from the club this. I don't think anyone expected a blow by blow breakdown of the process but you can't argue with any of that. And thanks to SM for chasing it of course. Fingers crossed Stendel is one of those CVs eh!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 21, 2021, 01:13:25 pm by silent majority »
The last paragraph is an interesting one. I agree fully that you have to keep an open mind with these things. Russell Martin is a good example of that, hear him speak for 10 seconds and it’s obvious he’s got it. Couldn’t let a potential high class manager slip through the net because he doesn’t tick a certain box.

We talked quite a bit about that as I remembered the conversations we'd had at the time. I remember it specifically because I was in Russia for the World Cup when the interviews were being held and Gavin mentioned this Grant McCann character and how impressed the board were .I had no idea who he was apart from that brief spell at Peterborough. It was no surprise that the club then appointed him.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 21, 2021, 01:14:47 pm by eastender »
yes , but he might come under the Hull Snakes category.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 21, 2021, 01:16:30 pm by Filo »
Speaking to managers at the highest level, Klopp is German, and so is Stendel, they’ll know each other surely

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 21, 2021, 01:18:32 pm by silent majority »
Thanks for the update, any indication of the quality of applicants , obviously i don't expect any names.

Yet again we have attracted high calibre candidates, to be fair its not new its happened before, but they don't always sit well with us, and some have completely off the wall expectations. Having said that until its whittled down to the 5 or 6 for interview we won't really know who'll be next.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 21, 2021, 01:21:53 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Thanks for passing all of that on Martin. It should make supporters feel 'involved'.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 21, 2021, 01:24:30 pm by SydneyRover »
This is the best news all round and maybe it will get some of the players thinking about what they are doing.

thanks for the update SM

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 21, 2021, 01:51:08 pm by northern soul »
Thanks for the update SM, as always.

Will there be any discussions with the potential candidates around Butler's role next year?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 21, 2021, 01:57:04 pm by EasyforDennis »

You really need to speak to someone about this obsession with AB

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 21, 2021, 02:14:16 pm by GazLaz »

We talked quite a bit about that as I remembered the conversations we'd had at the time. I remember it specifically because I was in Russia for the World Cup when the interviews were being held and Gavin mentioned this Grant McCann character and how impressed the board were .I had no idea who he was apart from that brief spell at Peterborough. It was no surprise that the club then appointed him.

Agree about GM, always thought he has far more potential than DM to be a good manager in the long run.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 21, 2021, 02:14:47 pm by drfchound »

I wonder if Butler has voted Tory or something.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 21, 2021, 02:56:27 pm by Filo »

Just quoting a fact after SM mentioned win ratio in his post

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 21, 2021, 03:00:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Win ratios are hard to judge a managers quality on. You could have Pep as manager of Sheff Utd and Dickov as manager of Man City and you'd assume Dickov would end up with the better win percentage but we all know he wouldn't necessarily be the better manager.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 21, 2021, 03:18:22 pm by PDX_Rover »
Bloody rubbish Cusack.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 21, 2021, 03:39:44 pm by sha66y »
Hopefully this is a New process for finding the right manager..... because the last 2 managers managed to wriggle away......

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 21, 2021, 03:51:02 pm by silent majority »

Just quoting a fact after SM mentioned win ratio in his post

I was only pointing out how potential managers always turn up with highly professional CV's after I asked the question during our discussion. It intrigued me as to whether Managers sat there writing it out themselves and therefore providing a personnel view of their career or whether it was done for them. GB mentioned that they are always very professionally done and are quite detailed in content.

GB will then go behind the scenes to get a better understanding of how those stats are arrived at and can they be validated. He gave ma na example of a manager who had a very high win ration on his CV but once he spoke with the club owner it turned out that it was the efforts of the coach that had delivered those styats.

So, you pointing out AB's win ratio is meaningless. The club would, if he was an external candidate, look behind that figure and try to understand why. That is quite obvious when you look at the approach of certain players in our existing line up, and I'm sure the club will bear that in mind.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 21, 2021, 05:23:43 pm by Janso »

Yet again we have attracted high calibre candidates, to be fair its not new its happened before, but they don't always sit well with us, and some have completely off the wall expectations. Having said that until its whittled down to the 5 or 6 for interview we won't really know who'll be next.

Off the wall in what respect?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 21, 2021, 05:43:43 pm by silent majority »

Off the wall in what respect?

Like salary expectations for example.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 21, 2021, 06:07:21 pm by jmt23 »
After the big let down of the last few months, this is welcome and actually quite exciting, but im also nervous about who the manager could be.
I see this as a new start, nearly a totally new team, and hopefully a new strategy in keeping DRFC competing.

We will come again next season, hopefully stronger!!! :rtid:

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 21, 2021, 06:09:08 pm by Jonathan »
All credit has to go to the club for the McCann appointment. I remember feeling distinctly underwhelmed as he emerged as the leading contender. But from his first press conference you could see exactly why he impressed the club so much during the recruitment process, and that passion and enthusiasm really transformed the club for a period. Still a great shame that he left at the first opportunity.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 21, 2021, 07:23:39 pm by since-1969 »
All credit has to go to the club for the McCann appointment. I remember feeling distinctly underwhelmed as he emerged as the leading contender. But from his first press conference you could see exactly why he impressed the club so much during the recruitment process, and that passion and enthusiasm really transformed the club for a period. Still a great shame that he left  at the first opportunity.
It’s called ambition,  Ferguson &Moore felt the same . We can always find good managers we just keep them ... why is that ?!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 21, 2021, 07:26:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
All credit has to go to the club for the McCann appointment. I remember feeling distinctly underwhelmed as he emerged as the leading contender. But from his first press conference you could see exactly why he impressed the club so much during the recruitment process, and that passion and enthusiasm really transformed the club for a period. Still a great shame that he left  at the first opportunity.
It’s called ambition,  Ferguson &Moore felt the same . We can always find good managers we just keep them ... why is that ?!

Because they're good managers with ambition...?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 21, 2021, 08:01:30 pm by jmt23 »
 :facepalm: :lol: :lol:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012