Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:45:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Euros Thread  (Read 37086 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: England/Euros Thread
« Reply #60 on June 13, 2021, 01:25:19 pm by Filo »
Southgate has lost the plot, we have Chillwell and Shaw, proper LB’s, Sancho not even on the bench, picks Sterling over Grealish, we have an abundance off attacking talent and and he bottles his selection

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on June 13, 2021, 01:29:04 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Southgate has lost the plot, we have Chillwell and Shaw, proper LB’s, Sancho not even on the bench, picks Sterling over Grealish, we have an abundance off attacking talent and and he bottles his selection

He was always going to

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on June 13, 2021, 01:30:00 pm by tyke1962 »

My thoughts entirely .

Best attacking talent at the tournament coached by the most negative man imaginable .

I sincerely hope I'm made to eat my words .

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on June 13, 2021, 01:37:16 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Unreal how Southgate gets by on being a nice bloke.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on June 13, 2021, 01:47:51 pm by EasyforDennis »
Jack Grealish is one of the best players in the competition and would walk into any other team but Southgate leaves him on the bench...... Unbelievable.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on June 13, 2021, 02:46:34 pm by Filo »
Good first 25 mins, then retreated into our shell

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on June 13, 2021, 02:51:44 pm by MachoMadness »
Good first half overall. Croatia are no mugs and we were never going to dominate the whole game like we did the first 20 minutes.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on June 13, 2021, 02:55:51 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Yes especially in this heat. Think the fans got tired as well you'd think there was none in.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on June 13, 2021, 02:59:24 pm by belton rover »
Utilise 5 subs - I’d like to see one or two half time changes - Shaw and Grealish, perhaps.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 13, 2021, 03:02:20 pm by sha66y »
The team I’d play:

Pickford
Walker Stones White Shaw (or Chilwell, nothing between them)
Rice Bellingham Mount
Grealish Kane Sterling

Sterling ahead of Foden probably the most controversial and most likely unpopular call but his pace and positioning stretches teams and we know he partners well with Kane. If he isn’t up to it then there are plenty of replacements there. You could also make a case for Foden wide right, Mount a bit deeper and Bellingham missing out.

That said I expect Southgate to pick

Pickford
James Walker Stones Mings Chilwell
Rice Phillips
Mount Kane Rashford

I’d rather play a traffic cone than Mings. Similar football ability and less likely to forearm smash an opponent.

That “ traffic cone” is the most solid defender I’ve seen for a long time !

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on June 13, 2021, 03:13:41 pm by MachoMadness »
Reckon CBCB owes Phillips a personal apology here.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on June 13, 2021, 03:16:38 pm by DonnyNoel »
Really good goal. Looked so simple but great runs from both Phillips and Sterling.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on June 13, 2021, 03:51:59 pm by Filo »
Got the result, theres more to come attacking wise, Phillips MoM for me

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on June 13, 2021, 04:00:09 pm by DonnyNoel »

Agreed, almost got egg on my face on 55 minutes for thinking we needed an attacking change right before the goal. All questions about his tactics aside, the faith Southgate shows in his players counts for something.

Phillips and the midfield 3 overall were comfortable and it was noticeable how deep Modric had to drop to get the ball as a result. Good game management from 70 minutes onwards.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 13, 2021, 04:03:51 pm by MachoMadness »
It feels strange seeing England come up against a good (if aging) team, and win with relative ease. They played well today and it was quite comfortable.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on June 13, 2021, 04:09:06 pm by Filo »

Agreed, almost got egg on my face on 55 minutes for thinking we needed an attacking change right before the goal. All questions about his tactics aside, the faith Southgate shows in his players counts for something.

Phillips and the midfield 3 overall were comfortable and it was noticeable how deep Modric had to drop to get the ball as a result. Good game management from 70 minutes onwards.

Without Modric, Croatia are clueless

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on June 13, 2021, 04:13:04 pm by PDX_Rover »
I have not watched England really since the last World Cup. We have an abundance of talent. The movement and tenacity was impressive. Croatia are a good team. Enjoyed the game.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on June 13, 2021, 04:22:21 pm by EasyforDennis »
Sorry but I just don't ever get excited watching England. Especially at Wembley.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 13, 2021, 04:24:24 pm by NickDRFC »
Feel like I’ve been a bit of a lone voice talking about how important Sterling is to England; even I was starting to doubt it so pleased to see him have a good game.

Phillips was excellent - early in the first half when it became apparent he was playing so advanced I was questioning why Southgate wasn’t just playing Grealish but he did a good job there and dropped back effectively later on, so was the right pick. Trippier was also a question mark but seemed more solid than Walker and had a decent game.

Overall a great start - I’d have taken a draw with an undercooked team in this heat but to win, and manage the game so effectively, is a top effort.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on June 13, 2021, 04:33:05 pm by SydneyRover »
yep, enjoyed the game England looked in control, well done Sterling great play great finish.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on June 13, 2021, 04:39:09 pm by VivaRovers »
Congratulations, you've now won as many European Championship opening games as Wales ;)

That's the first time I've watched England in years, and was really impressed. There's so much talent in that squad I don't think you can pick a bad starting XI, just different ones. No point burning out your creative talents in game one against your toughest group opponents. Can't fathom the criticism for Southgate up thread; he's a very good manager, and very clearly knows what he's doing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on June 13, 2021, 05:30:18 pm by dickos1 »

Eh???
Modric played

A lot of people should be eating humble pie tonight

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on June 13, 2021, 05:35:42 pm by Filo »

Eh???
Modric played

A lot of people should be eating humble pie tonight

I know he played, he was nullified everything goes through him, without him they are clueless

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on June 13, 2021, 06:07:08 pm by Metalmicky »
I didn't think we played that well really, it was very patchy and although there was some fine attacking play in spells, we sometimes seemed to switch off altogether and had little energy..... I know it was hot, but it's the same for all and we have to manage it better.  One thing I hate is when we piss about with it at the back sometimes - we will pay for it at some stage. 
Kane was very quiet, Foden wasn't in the game enough, Walker makes far too many basic mistakes and Pickford doesn't fill me with any confidence.  Hopefully we will settle into the tournament and improve as a team in the matches to come.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on June 13, 2021, 06:18:49 pm by Janso »
Sorry but I just don't ever get excited watching England. Especially at Wembley.

Congratulations, time to collect your medal.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 13, 2021, 06:25:53 pm by RoversAlias »

This aged well.

Thousands of football fans think they know better than the qualified, experienced England manager. I suppose it will never change, especially when it comes to the national side.

Southgate got it all right today, and no surprise to me. Sterling needed that faith from his manager and paid it back, he has a great recent scoring record for England.

Phillips was immense, MOM easily. What a brilliant assist by him and he bossed one of the best midfields in the tournament.

Trippier's experience is vital and Mings did a solid job too.

To win that game without Henderson or Maguire, or Kane playing well, is a great bonus. We weren't amazing but got the job done and have a platform to go out and hopefully attack more against Scotland and Czech Rep.

Having Rashford, Bellingham, Grealish and usually Sancho to bring on from the bench is massive too and unlike any England squad I can remember in terms of attacking depth.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 13, 2021, 06:33:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Southgate got the big calls right (of course we don't know what the score would be if he played the team most of us wanted) so fair play to him move on with confidence.

Wasn't the best game but it was about 30 degrees which never helps and we were up against a very good team who will have their moments against any team (only had half moments against us really). Will be disappointed if we don't play better against Scotland

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on June 13, 2021, 06:35:35 pm by Filo »

This aged well.

Thousands of football fans think they know better than the qualified, experienced England manager. I suppose it will never change, especially when it comes to the national side.

Southgate got it all right today, and no surprise to me. Sterling needed that faith from his manager and paid it back, he has a great recent scoring record for England.

Phillips was immense, MOM easily. What a brilliant assist by him and he bossed one of the best midfields in the tournament.

Trippier's experience is vital and Mings did a solid job too.

To win that game without Henderson or Maguire, or Kane playing well, is a great bonus. We weren't amazing but got the job done and have a platform to go out and hopefully attack more against Scotland and Czech Rep.

Having Rashford, Bellingham, Grealish and usually Sancho to bring on from the bench is massive too and unlike any England squad I can remember in terms of attacking depth.

Captain Hindsight?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on June 13, 2021, 07:32:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not having watched England for a long time, I was reasonably impressed. But I'm old enough to know you don't judge any side in any tournament by the opening result.

The concern I'd have was how relatively comfortably Croatia controlled possession between the opening 20 minutes and the goal. They are a side fading fast and they don't have the quality to really hurt sides anymore. But England would do well to cede possession for that length of time to a France or a Belgium and not find themselves chasing the game.

Question is whether a very young group of midfielders can mature quickly as a side. I'd think it's unlikely but not out of the question that they can do so and be serious contenders.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on June 13, 2021, 07:33:10 pm by dickos1 »
Not hindsight,
But it’s a bit silly slagging off the manager and his selection before the game kicks off
Just setting yourself up to look daft

TinyPortal © 2005-2012