Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:25:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

New poll

GM
29 (25.2%)
Adkins
15 (13%)
McClaren
19 (16.5%)
Neill
27 (23.5%)
Eustace
13 (11.3%)
Barry
12 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: December 18, 2021, 09:17:50 am

Author Topic: Next DRFC manager.  (Read 39315 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Next DRFC manager.
« Reply #420 on December 24, 2021, 08:10:58 pm by Copps is Magic »
To be fair the club did talk it up, and they do tend to talk it up most times we open applications. (Baldwin in the radio Sheffield interview)

I imagine there's always one or two high profile names who apply, but with unrealistic expectations.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #421 on December 24, 2021, 08:13:38 pm by southwestexile »
Just seen on sky sports news that John McMahon has left his role at Morecambe as assistant manager. He was assistant manager under Paul Simpson at Shrewsbury.

Don’t know if there’s anything in it but the reason we’re waiting until after the Sunderland game is because they are waiting for the new manager to get his coaching staff together.

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2021/december/club-statement-john-mcmahon/

Is it just me? They look just as much in the shite as us

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #422 on December 24, 2021, 08:29:18 pm by Campsall rover »
Just seen on sky sports news that John McMahon has left his role at Morecambe as assistant manager. He was assistant manager under Paul Simpson at Shrewsbury.

Don’t know if there’s anything in it but the reason we’re waiting until after the Sunderland game is because they are waiting for the new manager to get his coaching staff together.

Is it just me? They look just as much in the shite as us
Yes but they are but not expected to even be in League 1.
Their fans would have taken 20th before the season started. We were expecting 10-14 well I was anyway.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #423 on December 24, 2021, 09:19:26 pm by ForsolongaRover »
This was posted on the OS of Morecambe FC

“John and I spoke, we felt it was best for everybody that John moved on, he had a contract until the end of the season, but we felt it was in everybody’s best interests that we sorted something out now.

“We wish John nothing but the best, he’s a very good coach, a very good guy, and we wish him every success.”

Everybody at the Club would like to place on record its thanks to John for all his efforts during his time with the Shrimps and wish him the very best in his future endeavours.“

Is this the sort of message you would give someone moving on to something better? I don’t.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #424 on December 24, 2021, 10:17:36 pm by RoversAlias »

Maybe he is going to be the new mentor for Gary Mac. Is an experienced coach who may prefer to take a role more as a DoF / technical director or whatever name you want to give the new role the club wish to create.

I can't stress this enough to folk, getting a Director of Football in or someone above the manager to run the football strategy is *not* so that McSheffrey or whoever has a "mentor". It's not like an apprentice and advisor situation, it would be somebody to work on the logistical side of the Rovers football operations - overseeing scouting, transfers, the playing brief etc. It's not to offer words of wisdom to a young coach.

It's more like having a departmental head in a business. I highly doubt near 60 year old men who have been coaching on the training field for decades want to do that sort of job.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #425 on December 24, 2021, 11:14:42 pm by Campsall rover »

Maybe he is going to be the new mentor for Gary Mac. Is an experienced coach who may prefer to take a role more as a DoF / technical director or whatever name you want to give the new role the club wish to create.

I can't stress this enough to folk, getting a Director of Football in or someone above the manager to run the football strategy is *not* so that McSheffrey or whoever has a "mentor". It's not like an apprentice and advisor situation, it would be somebody to work on the logistical side of the Rovers football operations - overseeing scouting, transfers, the playing brief etc. It's not to offer words of wisdom to a young coach.

It's more like having a departmental head in a business. I highly doubt near 60 year old men who have been coaching on the training field for decades want to do that sort of job.
I used the word mentor Alias maybe the wrong word but if you bring someone in who has years and years of experience then yes he is going to be there to provide words of wisdom to whoever is the Manager/Coach when he asks for some advice.
Don Revie was very much his own man believe me but he was frequently on the telephone to Matt Busby and Bill Shankly in his early years as manager of Leeds United.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #426 on December 24, 2021, 11:15:48 pm by MachoMadness »
I think our fans struggle to get their heads round it because of the way our club (and others tbf) have treated it. It was always a token role offered to shuffle people we didn't want out of the coaching staff and eventually the club. See Mickey Walker, Brian Flynn. As RA says, it's a lot more than just a more experienced manager above the manager. Most of the good DoFs I know of have never managed, some haven't even played the game before.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #427 on December 25, 2021, 12:16:46 am by Pancho Regan »

That’s good detective work Bailey and there could well be something in this.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #428 on December 25, 2021, 01:19:31 am by RoversAlias »

I used the word mentor Alias maybe the wrong word but if you bring someone in who has years and years of experience then yes he is going to be there to provide words of wisdom to whoever is the Manager/Coach when he asks for some advice.
Don Revie was very much his own man believe me but he was frequently on the telephone to Matt Busby and Bill Shankly in his early years as manager of Leeds United.

There's the crux of it though Camps, there's nothing to say that a DoF would be someone with "years and years of experience". Again, not the same pond we are fishing in but look at some of the people in these roles at the top level, they're not often people who have been around for years and years, and they're almost never the type who has been a coach around the leagues for 2-3 decades, which is what most of the people touted for this on here have been.

I think Macho has made a great point above on this, that it has traditionally been a "shuffle the bloke upstairs" role like we did to Brian Flynn. Tokenistic. And not what this will be if the club do what they say they're doing.

Ultimately we all just want it to make a positive difference and get Rovers up the table ey. Merry Christmas Campsall!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #429 on December 25, 2021, 09:25:24 am by roversdude »
Wonder if a DOF role would interest Copps

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #430 on December 25, 2021, 11:00:55 am by Campsall rover »
Wonder if a DOF role would interest Copps
Think if he was then he would have been considered for it I am quite sure.
Just don’t think he is and happy to be doing what he is doing.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #431 on December 25, 2021, 11:37:59 am by roversdude »
It seems to be a sort of the role he’s doing with the recruitment part etc
Anyway enough of this - have a great day Camps

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #432 on December 25, 2021, 12:45:26 pm by Campsall rover »
It seems to be a sort of the role he’s doing with the recruitment part etc
Anyway enough of this - have a great day Camps
And you dude. Not having our dinner until 4-00pm today. It’s 1st time ever I think we have not eaten
at 1-00pm.

Gosh my Grandkids are ruined they do not know they are born.
My daughter takes after her Mum.  Crazy at Xmas but she has now taken this to a new level.   :rolleyes:

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #433 on December 25, 2021, 02:29:34 pm by Bessie Red »
https://twitter.com/FrankMSinclair/status/1474670964390735875?t=W_UZgJJ_esPRt38xeQsX-w&s=19

Interesting comment at the end of Frank's tweet.  "Unrealistic goals, you may surprise yourself "

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #434 on December 25, 2021, 04:09:33 pm by jmt23 »
All dressed in the red and white too :scarf:

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #435 on December 25, 2021, 06:15:17 pm by Chris the Rover »
Wonder what he’s drinking?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #436 on December 26, 2021, 12:27:16 pm by Metalmicky »
https://twitter.com/FrankMSinclair/status/1474670964390735875?t=W_UZgJJ_esPRt38xeQsX-w&s=19

Interesting comment at the end of Frank's tweet.  "Unrealistic goals, you may surprise yourself "

"go after those unrealistic goals, you may just surprise yourself"

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #437 on December 26, 2021, 01:04:34 pm by streathamdave »
So, what if Frank was named manager and not the assistant ? Would seem very uncomfortable for Gary Mcsheffrey .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #438 on December 26, 2021, 07:01:25 pm by selby »
It won't be long before we know who it is now.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #439 on December 26, 2021, 08:25:23 pm by Silkscarf »
So will it be announced soon after the match then?

We all applaud Sheffy off the pitch whatever the result, then OGS or King Kev or Zidane or Simpson and McMahon come in at 4pm?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #440 on December 26, 2021, 09:10:03 pm by Campsall rover »
So will it be announced soon after the match then?

We all applaud Sheffy off the pitch whatever the result, then OGS or King Kev or Zidane or Simpson and McMahon come in at 4pm?
Think it will be Tuesday or Wed or Thurs before we hear. Take your pick on which.

Tues 3/1 Wed 2/1 Thurs 2/1 good odds those. Make your bank transfer to ……………… many thanks.  :) :) :)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #441 on December 26, 2021, 09:10:31 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Just don't think it's Mcsheffery as no other reason to delay.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #442 on December 26, 2021, 09:18:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Just don't think it's Mcsheffery as no other reason to delay.
Unless there is a DoF coming in and want to announce it together. All dots not joined up yet possibly on the contracts.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #443 on December 26, 2021, 10:10:33 pm by ChrisBx »
Tuesday morning I reckon. And sadly I don't think it will be McSheffrey any more.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #444 on December 26, 2021, 10:12:52 pm by bpoolrover »
For me we are in a relegation battle and need someone who has a bit of experience, I don't think now is the time to experiment

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #445 on December 27, 2021, 07:53:22 am by DRNaith »
I thought the delay was due to the legal side of things being signed off, rather than it being about who is actually signing.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #446 on December 27, 2021, 07:55:39 am by mushRTID »
I still think it will be GM but as a suggested above, we are waiting to announce a few roles together.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #447 on December 27, 2021, 08:10:54 am by Filo »
I would expect that if its not GM the new man will be at the game today, if he isn’t I would be disappointed that he’s not getting a live view of the players

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #448 on December 27, 2021, 08:18:49 am by Silkscarf »
I hope the club manage the handover properly. Post-match interviews might be awkward for GM unless he’s been told he’s going back to his coaching role. Then he can just say I’ve enjoyed being caretaker and good luck to whoever gets the job.

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #449 on December 27, 2021, 08:11:06 pm by bigal »
Should know tomorrow according to Free Press

TinyPortal © 2005-2012