Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:45:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

New poll

GM
29 (25.2%)
Adkins
15 (13%)
McClaren
19 (16.5%)
Neill
27 (23.5%)
Eustace
13 (11.3%)
Barry
12 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: December 18, 2021, 09:17:50 am

Author Topic: Next DRFC manager.  (Read 39306 times)

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
Re: Next DRFC manager.
« Reply #60 on December 16, 2021, 10:25:27 am by 1-0 to the Doncaster »
Mick the brick

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 16, 2021, 10:37:35 am by MachoMadness »
Hoden just tweeted this:
I've tried to avoid getting involved with little hints on here about the manager field. But all I'll say is the current betting market list is way off. Other than Gary McSheffrey, there's only one other candidate listed and he's way down the betting #drfc

Let the speculation commence!

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on December 16, 2021, 10:39:21 am by ChrisBx »
Hoden just tweeted this:
I've tried to avoid getting involved with little hints on here about the manager field. But all I'll say is the current betting market list is way off. Other than Gary McSheffrey, there's only one other candidate listed and he's way down the betting #drfc

As long as it's not Aidy Boothroyd..

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on December 16, 2021, 10:49:52 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Hoden just tweeted this:

It would not surprise me. He was certainly in the list last time around.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on December 16, 2021, 10:52:26 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Paul Clement just to throw a random name into the mix.

Another who wouldn't be a bad appointment.

Might end up being pleasantly surprised. Who knows!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 16, 2021, 10:55:07 am by DonnyOsmond »
Liam Hoden

Stendel doesn't seem to be anywhere and ticks the boxes.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on December 16, 2021, 11:03:43 am by rtid88 »
Can anyone actually find any betting odds?? All the main betting websites don't seem to have our next manager odds on anywhere.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on December 16, 2021, 11:05:05 am by DonnyOsmond »
Can anyone actually find any betting odds?? All the main betting websites don't seem to have our next manager odds on anywhere.

BetVictor.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on December 16, 2021, 11:08:25 am by NickDRFC »
No ambition if we recruit GM

So, how many of JR'S seven appointments were ambitious? And where did one of his most successful, and probably most important appointment come from?
Obviously you mean SOD DBR when you refer to our most important appointment, but it could actually be argued that Dave Penney was the most crucial one.
He got us out of the Conference and out of league 3 ( as it was then, tier 4 ) at the first attempt and then established us as a top half team at our present level over the next 2 seasons.

The jury is out on who was the most important one.  But as you say neither we’re on most supporters radar when JR made those inspired appointments.

We need that kind of inspired appointment now. Let’s hope The board pull out a Christmas cracker with this appointment.
This one is going to be just a vital as any this club has made in the last 20 years imo.

Yes, arguably the most important turned out to be Penney. From within, initially chosen to assist Alan Lewer, before being given the job outright after Lewers dismissal.

Coming off topic here so expect the forum police won’t like it but anyway…one of us must have an iffy memory, I don’t remember Lewer ever managing Rovers - wasn’t he Steve Wignall’s number 2?

I thought Penney did a caretaker stint at some stage with Mark Atkins (maybe when Snods left?), returned to playing and then became manager when Wignall left.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 16, 2021, 11:10:00 am by German Rover »

So, how many of JR'S seven appointments were ambitious? And where did one of his most successful, and probably most important appointment come from?
Obviously you mean SOD DBR when you refer to our most important appointment, but it could actually be argued that Dave Penney was the most crucial one.
He got us out of the Conference and out of league 3 ( as it was then, tier 4 ) at the first attempt and then established us as a top half team at our present level over the next 2 seasons.

The jury is out on who was the most important one.  But as you say neither we’re on most supporters radar when JR made those inspired appointments.

We need that kind of inspired appointment now. Let’s hope The board pull out a Christmas cracker with this appointment.
This one is going to be just a vital as any this club has made in the last 20 years imo.

Yes, arguably the most important turned out to be Penney. From within, initially chosen to assist Alan Lewer, before being given the job outright after Lewers dismissal.

Coming off topic here so expect the forum police won’t like it but anyway…one of us must have an iffy memory, I don’t remember Lewer ever managing Rovers - wasn’t he Steve Wignall’s number 2?

I thought Penney did a caretaker stint at some stage with Mark Atkins (maybe when Snods left?), returned to playing and then became manager when Wignall left.

Was thinking the same. I do seem to remember Dave Penney being Steve Wignalls assistant after Alan Lewer left.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on December 16, 2021, 11:31:52 am by DearneValleyRover »
Hoden just tweeted this:

It would not surprise me. He was certainly in the list last time around.

He refused to change his style of play so instantly discounted. I don’t see any value in offering him another opportunity if he clearly doesn’t fit what we want

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on December 16, 2021, 11:48:30 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Phil brown anyone? Might be able to get Jon Parkin up front lol.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on December 16, 2021, 11:56:28 am by Campsall rover »

Think Lewer took over for a couple of weeks when Wignall went on gardening leave due to wife being Ill if memory serves me correctly.  It was time in between Wignall and Dave Penney/ Mark Atkins joint manager role they had before DP took sole charge.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 16, 2021, 12:08:41 pm by RugbyRover »
does the rooney rule apply?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on December 16, 2021, 01:19:46 pm by sha66y »
What exactly is “a style of play” in a results based business?

Surely the emphasis is on getting results irrespective of how we get them…..

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on December 16, 2021, 01:26:12 pm by Upton Rover »
Really.

Who should we be going after that will not expect Silly wages and a much larger budget to spend than the club can sensibly afford.

Names please. 

All you do is post anything that comes into your head which is negative about the club.
Try something constructive for once.  So come on let’s have some sensible suggestions.
Out of the ones you have put in your poll I would go for Adkins if I had too, someone with experience is what we need, I think it will be none of your list. Everyone as a right to post a negative reply if they think it is, why recruit another manger with no experience at all, we need to try get out of this mess we mind ourselves in, your full of positive mists:: we’ll done::

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 16, 2021, 01:30:53 pm by Campsall rover »
What exactly is %u201Ca style of play%u201D in a results based business?

Surely the emphasis is on getting results irrespective of how we get them%u2026..
I agree with you on this one. Yes we all want to see free flowing football played with style but at the end of the day that does not guarantee results in this league. Far from it in fact very few teams get promoted playing that way in League 1. Yes there are exceptions of course.

What we need right now is winning football not pretty football. Results Results and more Results and if that means playing a bit ugly at times then so be it.
We need leaders on the pitch, we need players who are going to walk through brick walls for the cause.
We need a great team ethic and team spirit. 

Get all those ingredients from January then we will finish above not 4 teams but at least 8 teams.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 01:33:02 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on December 16, 2021, 01:37:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Really.

Who should we be going after that will not expect Silly wages and a much larger budget to spend than the club can sensibly afford.

Names please. 

All you do is post anything that comes into your head which is negative about the club.
Try something constructive for once.  So come on let’s have some sensible suggestions.
Out of the ones you have put in your poll I would go for Adkins if I had too, someone with experience is what we need, I think it will be none of your list. Everyone as a right to post a negative reply if they think it is, why recruit another manger with no experience at all, we need to try get out of this mess we mind ourselves in, your full of positive mists:: we’ll done::
You can post what you wish of course but all I am suggesting is instead of just being critical about a certain person getting the job give some alternative and a reason for it.

You have now done that.  :thumbsup:

It’s the constant negativity from the same few people and nothing constructive proposed which some of us find frustrating.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on December 16, 2021, 01:43:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Surely the emphasis is on getting results irrespective of how we get them%u2026..
I agree with you on this one. Yes we all want to see free flowing football played with style but at the end of the day that does not guarantee results in this league. Far from it in fact very few teams get promoted playing that way in League 1. Yes there are exceptions of course.

What we need right now is winning football not pretty football. Results Results and more Results and if that means playing a bit ugly at times then so be it.
We need leaders on the pitch, we need players who are going to walk through brick walls for the cause.

Get all those ingredients from January then we will finish above not 4 teams but at least 8 teams.

I've highlighted the key part.

As long as it's not hoofball the whole time that's fine. If/when we get out of this mess then we can't be playing turgid football as that will drive away neutrals and make fans bored.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on December 16, 2021, 01:55:02 pm by Campsall rover »

I've highlighted the key part.

As long as it's not hoofball the whole time that's fine. If/when we get out of this mess then we can't be playing turgid football as that will drive away neutrals and make fans bored.
Agree. But we need to climb the table first. Turgid football will not achieve that either. We need attacking football because we have to start scoring goals
I don’t see too many clean sheets from this team, it isn’t a defence of  Quinn, McCombe, Jones, Spurr with a Keegan in front of them.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 16, 2021, 02:06:41 pm by CJK »
Someone must have lumped a tenner on Paul Clement as he's the new 2/1 fav on Bet Victor.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on December 16, 2021, 02:11:55 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Think Lewer took over for a couple of weeks when Wignall went on gardening leave due to wife being Ill if memory serves me correctly.  It was time in between Wignall and Dave Penney/ Mark Atkins joint manager role they had before DP took sole charge.

Apologies if the detail isn't quite right but the point is only hindsight tells you whether an appointment is unambitious or a cheap option.

I suspect we wouldn't regard Ferguson and Moore as being unambitious or cheap options with McCann perhaps being a shrewd option.

No reason to believe our board will go for anyone other than the best appointment this time too.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on December 16, 2021, 02:20:00 pm by roversdude »
Quite right DBR I’ve faith that they will get it right. Hindsight is brilliant but all we can do is learn from errors and improve. Although drawn out (and frustrating to us) it’s not something we are planning on doing on a regular basis

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on December 16, 2021, 03:14:55 pm by rtid88 »
Kieran McKenna, Man Utd coach due to be announced as new Ipswich manager.

Hadn't seen his name mentioned previously so shows bookies haven't got that much of a clue these days.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on December 16, 2021, 04:08:59 pm by silent majority »
Someone must have lumped a tenner on Paul Clement as he's the new 2/1 fav on Bet Victor.

Interviews haven't taken place yet so how can anybody be a favourite?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on December 16, 2021, 04:14:26 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Wouldn’t surprise me if ex managers have applied. Dean Saunders, Paul Dickov. If Saunders applied I’m sure he would be in the last five ,because of the position he put us in for promotion before leaving us.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on December 16, 2021, 04:14:37 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

He's that particular bookies favourite.

Doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on December 16, 2021, 04:20:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Kieran McKenna, Man Utd coach due to be announced as new Ipswich manager.

Hadn't seen his name mentioned previously so shows bookies haven't got that much of a clue these days.

Another club going down the Head Coach route .

Interesting comments from Ipswich fans  saying his time at Man U under Jose and Gunnar is not a great advert for the job.

You can have the best technical players in the world but you still have to gell them together into an efficient functioning squad so again it comes down to man management and team spirit, eradicating the egos from the big time Charlie's.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on December 16, 2021, 04:23:46 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I still think the way Alex Neil goes about things he would be ideal for us. Of course there are other candidates that could also do a good job.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on December 16, 2021, 05:41:32 pm by silent majority »

He's that particular bookies favourite.

Doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

I get that, I’m just trying to get my head around lists of players who haven’t applied for the job and then applying odds to those names.

Is it in the hope that people will put money on?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012