Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:07:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: GM confirmed  (Read 22134 times)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
Re: GM confirmed
« Reply #60 on December 29, 2021, 10:12:26 am by Cramby10 »
Plymouth lost their manager to Preston and replaced him all within a day. They promoted from within something that we have done. The difference? It’s taken us 4 weeks it took them 4 hours. Shit show
effectively he was appointed immediately. In the mean time they explored other options if someone else better came up. You’d piss your pants if we hadn’t looked elsewhere. Not difficult to understand.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 29, 2021, 10:12:58 am by Donny Exile in York »
This appointment makes sense, I think Gary has stabilised the ship and deserves this opportunity and I'm pleased he's taken it.

With a couple of decent signings and a bit of luck in the treatment room, I think we can salvage something from this season.

Well done Gary.
What ship has he stabilised we are in free fall
All this when the injured come back talk ? We have been saying this from week 2 they aren’t coming back til it’s to late and there will only be a couple of poor signing coming in , that’s why GM got the job as he’s willing to be a yes man and work with nothing

We'll have to disagree, I think improvements can be seen on the field. Form over the last ten games has Rovers sat in 19th.

Yes, we're still likely to get tonked by the better sides in this league but if we can take points off those around us, Rovers stand a chance

We have lost 3 out of 4 competitive games in the period of McSheffreys appointment.. how many clubs appoint a caretaker with that track record...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on December 29, 2021, 10:14:21 am by silent majority »
Only took a month to appoint internally.  Sums it all up.

And if they'd have done it within a week you'd have criticised them for not interviewing lots of other more experienced coaches. Jeez.

Its pathetic SM and you know it. I like McSheffrey as a person and will support him, as a character far far preferable to Wellens but once our results follow a similar pattern in 2 months time he is going to need that character.. if they wanted to appoint McSheffrey they could have done so in a week.. why wait til after the Sunderland game, what was the point? Our decision making is so ponderous no wonder we were left scrambling about last minute on transfer deadline day. Great to be a family club but we are too nice as a club and too slow to take action.. if Wellens wasn't the man, that was also clear two months earlier following the thrashing at ipswich...

Why do you never read what I write?

What has Wellens got to do with this?

I just said that if we'd appointed him straight away you'd be complaining we hadn't spent the time to investigate who else is out there. You'd have likened it to the appointment of Andy Butler last season. GM been in place for a couple of weeks, its just the announcement that's taken time so what's the problem?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 29, 2021, 10:14:40 am by colincramb »
The ‘mentor’ bit worries me. This isn’t the same as a DOF role surely? Don’t know how much confidence that instills in the players but we’ll see

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on December 29, 2021, 10:14:48 am by DonnyOsmond »

And if they'd have done it within a week you'd have criticised them for not interviewing lots of other more experienced coaches. Jeez.

sm if you had nothing to do with the club would gm have been your pick for manager, while of course he should get everyone's support, the last time the board had so many boxers that the applicant would have to meet l, I wonder how many gm met?

Would you want the best man for the job or the biggest name?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 29, 2021, 10:15:08 am by Jonathan »
This appointment makes sense, I think Gary has stabilised the ship and deserves this opportunity and I'm pleased he's taken it.

With a couple of decent signings and a bit of luck in the treatment room, I think we can salvage something from this season.

Well done Gary.
All this when the injured come back talk ? We have been saying this from week 2 they aren’t coming back til it’s to late and there will only be a couple of poor signing coming in , that’s why GM got the job as he’s willing to be a yes man and work with nothing

We'll have to disagree, I think improvements can be seen on the field. Form over the last ten games has Rovers sat in 19th.

Yes, we're still likely to get tonked by the better sides in this league but if we can take points off those around us, Rovers stand a chance

We have lost 3 out of 4 competitive games in the period of McSheffreys appointment.. how many clubs appoint a caretaker with that track record...

I’ll ask again. Who do you suppose could have come in and achieved better results with the same players available? Names would be helpful so we can judge your wisdom here.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on December 29, 2021, 10:15:13 am by anton123 »

Well done Gary.

Presumably you've spoken with him and confirmed he's going to be a 'yes man and work with nothing' rather than just make something up on an internet forum?
I posted a few month ago on this forum about what the board had planned for this season , the info coming from a non Doncaster fan with connections to the board and let’s just say it’s all coming to fruition

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on December 29, 2021, 10:15:55 am by redarmi66 »

Its pathetic SM and you know it. I like McSheffrey as a person and will support him, as a character far far preferable to Wellens but once our results follow a similar pattern in 2 months time he is going to need that character.. if they wanted to appoint McSheffrey they could have done so in a week.. why wait til after the Sunderland game, what was the point? Our decision making is so ponderous no wonder we were left scrambling about last minute on transfer deadline day. Great to be a family club but we are too nice as a club and too slow to take action.. if Wellens wasn't the man, that was also clear two months earlier following the thrashing at ipswich...
The club have followed a recognised business process of recruitment. If GM has come top of that process then he deserves the job. He clearly has an advantage being an internal appointment as he understands the club and the individuals. The salary is the salary. I would imagine that behind the scenes we are way ahead (in terms of structure and recruitment) of where we would be if we had made an external appointment. I dont think the process has been pathetic. Its been proper, correct and fair. Everybody is entitled to there opinion of course but now we move on. Good luck GM. Our full support us now what is needed.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on December 29, 2021, 10:16:36 am by Bentley Bullet »
It's like most things nowadays. If people don't get their own way they can't wait to be proved right and will go out of their way to prove it with constant bickering.

Take Richie Wellens, for instance.....

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on December 29, 2021, 10:16:55 am by RobTheRover »
Underwhelming and not at all inspiring, for a club and a group of fans who need it.

I will back him and I wish him all the luck in the world - fair play if he gets us out of this mess!

Is this why he's going to be backed in January, because he's a cheap option, therefore, funds are available?!

Can we stop saying he's the cheap option?  He's not. The post has a salary and it was going to be the same whoever was appointed to the role.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on December 29, 2021, 10:17:03 am by roversdude »
The reaction on social media is utterly disgusting. It’s hard to have to admit this, but we have a fanbase that’s awash with thick, expectant, entitled, moaning clueless d**kheads. If there’s anything that makes me feel increasingly distant from the club then it’s not the club itself, it’s many of the so-called fans.

Gary McSheffrey has done absolutely nothing that warrants this scale of negative reaction. He’s had a distinguished career playing at a higher level than this club has spent most of its history. He’s built up a good reputation with our youth team and he’s stepped up in unbelievably difficult circumstances and now wants to take our club on. We should feel grateful to have someone like that at the helm, not slate him as a cheap option with no basis at all for saying that.

McSheffrey now deserves backing from the Board to get a number of players in that are capable of competing at this level - something he’s lacked as caretaker manager through no fault of his own. Most of all, he deserves support from the supporters.

A look at Twitter makes me want to give up with the club. It’s hard to want to be associated with something that attracts so many brainless offensive imbeciles. But I suppose this is a society issue.

Jonathan this is a late contender for post of the year and sums up where I am at the moment. I’ve got to stop arguing with the negative people and just enjoy the football again

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on December 29, 2021, 10:17:51 am by vaya »

Well done Gary.

Presumably you've spoken with him and confirmed he's going to be a 'yes man and work with nothing' rather than just make something up on an internet forum?
I posted a few month ago on this forum about what the board had planned for this season , the info coming from a non Doncaster fan with connections to the board and let’s just say it’s all coming to fruition
Link the post?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on December 29, 2021, 10:19:35 am by Bentley Bullet »
The ‘mentor’ bit worries me. This isn’t the same as a DOF role surely? Don’t know how much confidence that instills in the players but we’ll see

Didn't Dean Saunders appoint a 'mentor'?

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 29, 2021, 10:20:12 am by Donny Exile in York »

Didn't take a month. Appointed immediately, confirmed subsequently.

So why take a month to announce it?

Because he's chatting shit. We saw what else was out there and GM demonstrated an understanding more so than the other more experienced candidates.

And tell me how good has his record been as caretaker manager? Has that inspired the same confidence?

How the hell could it? Look at the players he’s had available for goodness sake and tell us with all your wisdom who could have done a better job?

If you honestly expected someone to stand on the sidelines and make that group of players beat a high-flying expensively assembled Sunderland team then you seriously need your head testing.

No but over the last month it sums up the mess we are in. It was absolute men against boys on Monday. What's the excuse for the Mansfield game defeat? How many caretakers are appointed after a month with 3 defeats in 4? No one can justify that. Yes I will wish GM the best to turn it round.. he comes across a good guy, and hopefully will have better luck than his predecessor with injuries, and better recruitment in January, appoint an experienced old head to support him but, but to date given our predicament, one month to make rhe appointment, record as a caretaker, it doesn't inspire confidence of a change of wind coming. Hope I and many others are wrong.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on December 29, 2021, 10:20:54 am by philsky »
Pleased for the guy.

Dealing with a horrendous injury and has remained calm and encouraging.

I suspect he has the backing of the squad and isn't a divisive character from what I've witnessed.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on December 29, 2021, 10:21:04 am by Dare to dream! »
How is he an underwhelming appointment?

We must have the most deluded fans in the country, who do you think we could have gotten instead?

GMac has done well so far and I think he will get us out of this mess.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 29, 2021, 10:21:38 am by Campsall rover »

Because they wanted to see if there was another candidate who might have been even more suitable for the position that GM
The board decided after interviewing 4 other candidates that GM was the best fit for the club at this time.
They are also going to bring in someone with experience as a mentor. Which to me is a very sensible approach.

Now seriously D E in Y if you cannot understand that the board have made what they feel is the best appointment for the club at this time and the way they went about getting to that decision then really I seriously despair.

So do you think they should have sacked Wellens 2 months ago and made GM permanent manager on the spot?

Compared to the pathetic toys out the pram mentality we have now from some of our so called supporters there would have been riots on the streets if that had happened.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:35:56 am by Campsall rover »

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on December 29, 2021, 10:22:44 am by anton123 »
The reaction on social media is utterly disgusting. It’s hard to have to admit this, but we have a fanbase that’s awash with thick, expectant, entitled, moaning clueless d**kheads. If there’s anything that makes me feel increasingly distant from the club then it’s not the club itself, it’s many of the so-called fans.

Gary McSheffrey has done absolutely nothing that warrants this scale of negative reaction. He’s had a distinguished career playing at a higher level than this club has spent most of its history. He’s built up a good reputation with our youth team and he’s stepped up in unbelievably difficult circumstances and now wants to take our club on. We should feel grateful to have someone like that at the helm, not slate him as a cheap option with no basis at all for saying that.

McSheffrey now deserves backing from the Board to get a number of players in that are capable of competing at this level - something he’s lacked as caretaker manager through no fault of his own. Most of all, he deserves support from the supporters.

A look at Twitter makes me want to give up with the club. It’s hard to want to be associated with something that attracts so many brainless offensive imbeciles. But I suppose this is a society issue.

Jonathan this is a late contender for post of the year and sums up where I am at the moment. I’ve got to stop arguing with the negative people and just enjoy the football again
The fact of the matter is everyone knew it was going to turn sour with this appointment from a large section of supporters so why the hell can’t the board see that or do they just not care about there opinion? To u they may be fans u don’t like or disagree with on most topics but they are still rovers fans . At this hard period of the clubs history we need everyone to be united and the action of the board today had done the opposite

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on December 29, 2021, 10:23:12 am by silent majority »

sm if you had nothing to do with the club would gm have been your pick for manager, while of course he should get everyone's support, the last time the board had so many boxers that the applicant would have to meet l, I wonder how many gm met?

I'm not sure what my connection has to do with this, and how can I answer your question?

What I can say is I didn't agree with the appointment of Richie Wellens and was roundly criticised for it with even calls for me to step down (strange because I'd already announced my retirement), and yet once appointed I said he would get my support.

Do I agree with this appointment? It'll be a question of wait and see what the support structure looks like, but as a manager of DRFC he will get my support just like all other managers have.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on December 29, 2021, 10:23:55 am by silent majority »

The fact of the matter is everyone knew it was going to turn sour with this appointment from a large section of supporters so why the hell can’t the board see that or do they just not care about there opinion? To u they may be fans u don’t like or disagree with on most topics but they are still rovers fans . At this hard period of the clubs history we need everyone to be united and the action of the board today had done the opposite

So we should let the supporters choose the manager then?

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 29, 2021, 10:24:47 am by philsky »

Would you want the best man for the job or the biggest name?

I'd rather have an experienced mentor providing genuine tactical support than a gaggle of mates - be interesting to see who it is. Hopefully someone like SOD (but I know it won't be him !)

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on December 29, 2021, 10:26:39 am by TommyC »

Because he's chatting shit. We saw what else was out there and GM demonstrated an understanding more so than the other more experienced candidates.

And tell me how good has his record been as caretaker manager? Has that inspired the same confidence?

How the hell could it? Look at the players he’s had available for goodness sake and tell us with all your wisdom who could have done a better job?

If you honestly expected someone to stand on the sidelines and make that group of players beat a high-flying expensively assembled Sunderland team then you seriously need your head testing.

No but over the last month it sums up the mess we are in. It was absolute men against boys on Monday. What's the excuse for the Mansfield game defeat? How many caretakers are appointed after a month with 3 defeats in 4? No one can justify that. Yes I will wish GM the best to turn it round.. he comes across a good guy, and hopefully will have better luck than his predecessor with injuries, and better recruitment in January, appoint an experienced old head to support him but, but to date given our predicament, one month to make rhe appointment, record as a caretaker, it doesn't inspire confidence of a change of wind coming. Hope I and many others are wrong.

Exactly. It's the fact that it's very difficult to see exactly what boxes he ticks that the other 120 applicants didn't. No significant managerial experience, poor record as caretaker and by his own volition needs a mentor. Added to that, we're in a relegation scrap needing an urgent turnaround in form. What a ridiculous time to make such an appointment and "allegedly" throw a lot of money at him in January. It's a very strange appointment and the platitudes about him knowing the club better than the other candidates do little to provide any substance.

Hope he does well but something doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:09:03 pm by TommyC »

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on December 29, 2021, 10:26:54 am by philsky »
How is he an underwhelming appointment?

We must have the most deluded fans in the country, who do you think we could have gotten instead?

GMac has done well so far and I think he will get us out of this mess.

I'm with you on this - in every sense.

Young, ambitious, calm and has a measured approach.

Works for me.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on December 29, 2021, 10:27:12 am by vaya »

"The club should unite behind what I want"

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on December 29, 2021, 10:27:32 am by Jonathan »

So you don’t have the name of someone that could’ve got better results in the same circumstances, and you can’t explain what they would have done with the same group of players to achieve that?

Or are we at the level of “it should’ve been Mick McCarthy as he would have made them do better.”

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on December 29, 2021, 10:30:10 am by Pside »
Well it’s what we all knew was going to happen.
Fair play Garry and good luck.

I’m a little concerned that he’s obviously recognised he needs a “mentor” and yet we’re only just starting the application process.

Is this going to be another 4 weeks of messing about?

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on December 29, 2021, 10:31:11 am by Donny Exile in York »

Why do you never read what I write?

What has Wellens got to do with this?

I just said that if we'd appointed him straight away you'd be complaining we hadn't spent the time to investigate who else is out there. You'd have likened it to the appointment of Andy Butler last season. GM been in place for a couple of weeks, its just the announcement that's taken time so what's the problem?

I heard what you said but quite frankly your simply assuming incorrectly. There would be some conviction and certainty that it has been planned and thought through, God knows there was enough lead in time.. much preferable than 1 month on and 3 defeats in 4 then try and justify the appointment. You made the wrong assumption that that would be preferable to go round the merry-go-round to lead to the same result.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on December 29, 2021, 10:31:29 am by anton123 »

So we should let the supporters choose the manager then?

That’s not what I said read again sm

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on December 29, 2021, 10:32:10 am by bpoolrover »
To be honest it makes no difference if the fans are backing gm at the minute, what needs to happen is the board to give him a fighting chance and give him the funds to sign several good players very quickly or it won't matter who is manager

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on December 29, 2021, 10:32:28 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Well it’s what we all knew was going to happen.
Fair play Garry and good luck.

I’m a little concerned that he’s obviously recognised he needs a “mentor” and yet we’re only just starting the application process.

Is this going to be another 4 weeks of messing about?

I'm sure I read they'd identified someone and were ready to get it done. If it wasn't identified before the appointment it would be a big failing.

As SM says, the support and structure they put around the manager and investment in the squad is key.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012