Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:14:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/World Cup  (Read 20489 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
England/World Cup
« on November 23, 2022, 07:43:04 pm by belton rover »
I can’t help thinking that discussion about the football is getting lost on the other thread - though I agree it’s a topic worth debating.

But let’s just enjoy, on this thread, what is already becoming a fascinating tournament.

Right now, I am watching Canada battering Belgium, without making it count.

Germany lose to Japan.
Argentina to Saudi Arabia.
England, France and Spain looking good.

I am thoroughly enjoying this so far.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: England/World Cup
« Reply #1 on November 23, 2022, 08:08:08 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I’m with you Belton, let’s leave the politics in the other thread, as much as it’s needed to be discussed. The football has actually been great, hardly any negativity

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 23, 2022, 08:12:04 pm by Spud »
Really enjoyed the football so far, barring the nil nil this morning.
Scoreline harsh on Canada so far, to say the least. Hope they get something out of this.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 23, 2022, 08:31:31 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It seems none of the teams have resorted to the ultra-defensive tactics we've seen in the past to avoid defeat. It's been a very open tournament so far and by actually attacking the big teams the littler ones are getting results here and there.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 23, 2022, 08:42:32 pm by belton rover »
It seems none of the teams have resorted to the ultra-defensive tactics we've seen in the past to avoid defeat. It's been a very open tournament so far and by actually attacking the big teams the littler ones are getting results here and there.
Which, I think, has led to thrashings and upsets.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 23, 2022, 09:04:21 pm by Donnybax »
If Kanes ankle isn’t too bad we could have a decent run. We’ve got to find a way of playing Foden though. He’s world class

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 23, 2022, 09:15:05 pm by ncRover »
Let’s see what Brazil and Portugal look like tomorrow

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 23, 2022, 09:36:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

In the first 40 minutes of the Wales USA match, the ball was in the USA 1/3rd of the pitch for 1.8% of the time.

That was THE most ultra-defensive set up I have ever seen.

I gather it improved after half time, but I'd had a gut full after 45 minutes. The absolute antithesis of what football should be.

Canada tonight we're an absolute joy to watch.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 23, 2022, 09:58:29 pm by Branton Red »
Billy I'm disagreeing with you in Off Topic but here we're in complete accord.

The Welsh tactics in that first half were absolutely ridiculous - and against a team, as it showed in the 2nd half when they changed tack, they were more than capable of beating.

The Welsh manager cost them a potential 2 points there and an almost certain place in Round 2 given they have Qatar next.

As underdogs both Canada and Saudi Arabia (though they understandably sat back more after going ahead) in contrast had wonderfully adventurous approaches. They were a joy to watch. It was great to see the Saudis rewarded and a disappointment to see Canada fall short. Very refreshing.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 23, 2022, 10:07:30 pm by selby »
  Did anyone notice the pass by a Belgian player into his own penalty area to his left back in the box.
  The pass went direct to a Canadian who had a shooting chance but was given offside.
  He was in an offside position but the ball was passed by a Belgian defender.
  A couple of the Canadians objected but were brushed aside.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 23, 2022, 10:28:46 pm by Spud »
  Did anyone notice the pass by a Belgian player into his own penalty area to his left back in the box.
  The pass went direct to a Canadian who had a shooting chance but was given offside.

Yes I noticed that, Selby. Even the commentary team seemed to miss it as they thought the Canadians were going mad for a penalty.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 23, 2022, 10:29:43 pm by Spud »

The Welsh tactics in that first half were absolutely ridiculous - and against a team, as it showed in the 2nd half when they changed tack, they were more than capable of beating.

The Welsh manager cost them a potential 2 points there and an almost certain place in Round 2 given they have Qatar next.

As underdogs both Canada and Saudi Arabia (though they understandably sat back more after going ahead) in contrast had wonderfully adventurous approaches. They were a joy to watch. It was great to see the Saudis rewarded and a disappointment to see Canada fall short. Very refreshing.

Wales have Iran next, not Quatar, they're in our group.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 23, 2022, 10:47:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Great to talk about the football. Agree, it's been thoroughly absorbing.

Always great to see the unfancied teams going at it.

The use of five subs is going to be crucial in games as we get to the business end of the tournament.

Also pleased to see the stoppages are being added on properly. Refereeing has generally been good up to now.

If only Canada still had Roy Wegerle or Iain Hulme in front of goal, Belgium would have been beaten tonight.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 23, 2022, 11:28:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
Wegerle was a 41-cap US international player.

Two of the top three all time goalscorers for Canada played tonight, in David and Larin.

Hume was a good player for us, but managed 6 international goals in his career, while David (22) and Larin (25) have somewhat more. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:34:41 pm by Chris Black come back »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 23, 2022, 11:47:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Yep, I saw that. What on earth is the point of VAR if it doesn't overturn such a blatantly wrong decision as that?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 24, 2022, 08:54:50 am by Alan Southstand »

Have they moved Wales out of group B?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 24, 2022, 09:09:32 am by VivaRovers »

I'm in agreement. Not sure if I'd put the blame solely on Rob Page, but there was certainly a tactical naivety in how Wales went about the game. That first half was the worst I've seen us play in years, and was at odds with how we've approached 'big' teams in qualifying.

Most Wales fans I know seem absolutely delighted we've grabbed a point (which I am given how bad that first half was), but my main feeling post match is disappointment that we didn't show what we're capable of a team, and that as a result we've missed a really good chance to get three points on the board. As it is, given we're highly unlikely to get anything against England, we've left ourselves in a position where even if we beat Iran on Friday, we're likely to be relying on other results to progress.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 24, 2022, 11:02:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
That Michael Sheen speech stuck in their minds though. If you listened really hard in the first half of that Wales match, you could just gear James and Bale up front whispering to the rest of the team "Yma o hyd".

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 24, 2022, 11:09:38 am by Dutch Uncle »
That Michael Sheen speech stuck in their minds though. If you listened really hard in the first half of that Wales match, you could just gear James and Bale up front whispering to the rest of the team "Yma o hyd".

Just put on another thread that I was laughing at the the English commentator mixing up 'Land of my Fathers' and Max Boyce's 'Hymns and Arias' and Dafydd Iwan's 'Yma o Hyd'

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 24, 2022, 11:13:19 am by Dutch Uncle »

Yep, I saw that. What on earth is the point of VAR if it doesn't overturn such a blatantly wrong decision as that?

Yes, but out of interest what on earth could the sanction have been? Do the laws cover the situation? Can't award a penalty or free-kick. Uncontested drop ball to Canada in Belgian penalty box? Where are Belgian defenders allowed to be for that?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 24, 2022, 11:19:56 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Wegerle was a 41-cap US international player.

Two of the top three all time goalscorers for Canada played tonight, in David and Larin.

Hume was a good player for us, but managed 6 international goals in his career, while David (22) and Larin (25) have somewhat more. 

Thanks for the correction. My memory is definitely going!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 24, 2022, 11:41:58 am by Dutch Uncle »

I'm in agreement. Not sure if I'd put the blame solely on Rob Page, but there was certainly a tactical naivety in how Wales went about the game. That first half was the worst I've seen us play in years, and was at odds with how we've approached 'big' teams in qualifying.

Most Wales fans I know seem absolutely delighted we've grabbed a point (which I am given how bad that first half was), but my main feeling post match is disappointment that we didn't show what we're capable of a team, and that as a result we've missed a really good chance to get three points on the board. As it is, given we're highly unlikely to get anything against England, we've left ourselves in a position where even if we beat Iran on Friday, we're likely to be relying on other results to progress.

Totally agree with that assessment Viva

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 24, 2022, 01:03:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Yes, but out of interest what on earth could the sanction have been? Do the laws cover the situation? Can't award a penalty or free-kick. Uncontested drop ball to Canada in Belgian penalty box? Where are Belgian defenders allowed to be for that?

I don't see why you can't award a penalty. The flag went up before the contact by the defender, but the ref hadn't blown before the contact. So the play was still live. The striker wasn't offside. and the defender fouled him. It's a penalty.

EDIT: Just read that Vertongen got the tiniest toe end on the ball before he made contact with the Canadian striker. Presumably that is why VAR didn't intervene.

OF course, if FIFA wasn't so obsessive about protecting its IP on the videos of games, we'd be able to go back and look at videos of these incidents ourselves. As it is, it's impossible to find videos online because IP infringements are ferociously chased down.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 01:08:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 24, 2022, 01:16:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Thanks BST. I didn’t actually see the incident and didn’t realise play had continued and a possible penalty decision arose. I had assumed the Canadian player was in a goal scoring position and the game stopped for offside. That would have been be a difficult one to ‘correct’

Of course with VAR they always delay offside decisions so it shouldn’t happen  :lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 24, 2022, 01:34:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It was all very quick DU. Hazard was on the edge of the box. Played a backpass to Vertongen in the area, but actually played it to Buchanan in an offside position. Vertongen then slid in on him. Whole thing took about a second, with the flag going up very quickly, but the ref not having time to blow.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 24, 2022, 01:51:19 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The best result for England would really be a win tomorrow and Wales/Iran draw.  That would give England the opportunity to rest Kane and others for the final group game which could be a big advantage.  Still, it's the world cup there will be twists to come and the USA/Wales can play very well on their day.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 24, 2022, 09:28:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Is it just me or does anyone else think Neymar is the most overrated player to pull on a Brazilian shirt?

Brazil are better off without him as play much better as a team.

Well, so far after first round of games, I think the most impressive teams are Spain, Brazil, France and England. I didn't think I'd be saying that last week. Of course, it can all change.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 24, 2022, 09:53:31 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
What a cracking goal from Richarlison tonight.

I'd fancy us to beat Brazil if it came to it. Go a bit more direct and get 10 yards up the pitch. Don't fancy us out footballing them but we could bully them.

5-3-2 would be the one for me.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 24, 2022, 10:09:26 pm by Chris Black come back »
Is it just me or does anyone else think Neymar is the most overrated player to pull on a Brazilian shirt?

Brazil are better off without him as play much better as a team.

Well, so far after first round of games, I think the most impressive teams are Spain, Brazil, France and England. I didn't think I'd be saying that last week. Of course, it can all change.

This is correct.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 25, 2022, 10:44:51 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Not much between these 2 so far.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012