Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:08:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/World Cup  (Read 20481 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Re: England/World Cup
« Reply #420 on December 19, 2022, 12:54:16 pm by Colin C No.3 »
In amongst all the corruption & back handers that have without doubt happened & continues to with the Qatar authorities hardly falling over themselves to recompense families of foreign labourers who died in their thousands due to non existent health & safety measures while constructing the stadiums & some who have not yet been paid despite all the money sloshing around this World Cup, I have found a breath of fresh air, a gesture that shows there is still some humanity to be found in the fog of opulence.

Hakim Ziyech who played in the tournament for the fantastic Moroccan team that gave us so much pleasure as they were truly outstanding ‘minnows’, has donated his World Cup bonuses of $325,000 to the poor of Morocco.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #421 on December 19, 2022, 02:58:58 pm by tyke1962 »
I see we won the Fair Play Award at the world cup .

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #422 on December 19, 2022, 03:17:19 pm by DearneValleyRover »

As good as that is, it’s probably a reason why we didn’t win the thing

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #423 on December 19, 2022, 03:27:05 pm by ravenrover »
Even though almost every pundit and reporter have condemned or criticised the WC being held in Qatar it's taken Gary Neville to make any members of this Govt to speak out......... but only to condemn him for speaking out on tv and compare what happened in Qatar with migrant workers to the situation over here regarding decent wages and working conditions

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #424 on December 19, 2022, 05:42:29 pm by tyke1962 »

As good as that is, it’s probably a reason why we didn’t win the thing

Similar to kids at sports day in school when they don't win their event .

They give em a lollipop instead .

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #425 on December 19, 2022, 06:02:10 pm by Branton Red »
The teams that were bravest in possession of the football had the most success at this World Cup.

Which was great to see.

That's why the final, once France woke up, was so thoroughly entertaining with both teams positively looking to win.

The quality wasn't high however IMO, with no stand out side, none of the teams were a patch on the French (or Belgians) 4 years ago or the German team 8 years ago.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 06:44:13 pm by Branton Red »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #426 on December 19, 2022, 07:02:32 pm by wilts rover »
When I was growing up I wanted to be Peter Kitchen scoring the winner for Rovers. In four years time I want to be commentating on an England World Cup win like this guy.

'Argentina campeon del mundo'

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1604564450282831872

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #427 on December 19, 2022, 07:42:56 pm by drfchound »
I don’t see how it can be the greatest game /final ever. It was fairly average for 79 minutes. Then the French woke up and had a go. Yes then from that point it was incredible.

I said the same thing mate.
It wasn’t particularly good until MBappe decided to have a go at changing what seemed like an easy Argentina victory.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #428 on December 19, 2022, 09:21:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don’t see how it can be the greatest game /final ever. It was fairly average for 79 minutes. Then the French woke up and had a go. Yes then from that point it was incredible.

It wasn’t particularly good until MBappe decided to have a go at changing what seemed like an easy Argentina victory.

Well yes, but it took two substitutions by France on 40 mins to shake things up a bit.

I don't think there's any way Gareth would have made those subs, preferring to wait for half time at least. 

Those subs would have had an effect on the half time team talks in both dressing rooms.

It's been a feature through the tournament that many teams utilise the subs far better and plan ahead much better than we who seem to do it on the hoof.

Not making a sub until too late has been a feature of Gareths management in three key games now so he must address this if we are to challenge in the final stages again.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #429 on December 20, 2022, 08:20:40 am by Silkscarf »
The first 91 minutes of our match at Griffin Park in 2013 was dull as dishwater. Doesn't stop it being arguably THE greatest match in our history.

Yes, arguably as you say. It depends how you’re measuring it.

Subjectively, based mainly on the result from an English viewpoint, 1966 v W Germany is arguably England’s greatest game. Objectively (if that’s possible…) maybe it would be the 1996 4-1 v Netherlands or the 6-1 v Germany in 2001. I can’t think of many other contenders as until recently it’s mainly been painful watching England!

From a neutral’s viewpoint it might be some other England game which was a draw or narrow win for one side (e.g. Brazil 1970).

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #430 on December 20, 2022, 09:46:46 am by steve@dcfd »

Well yes, but it took two substitutions by France on 40 mins to shake things up a bit.

I don't think there's any way Gareth would have made those subs, preferring to wait for half time at least. 

Those subs would have had an effect on the half time team talks in both dressing rooms.

It's been a feature through the tournament that many teams utilise the subs far better and plan ahead much better than we who seem to do it on the hoof.

Not making a sub until too late has been a feature of Gareths management in three key games now so he must address this if we are to challenge in the final stages again.

To be fair Baz I can agree but our game against France the starting eleven was doing a good job no substitute required. When he did change my biggest dismay was bringing on Sterling and not Rashford. That for me as to change for me.
As for France then you can question why pick Dembele in the first place he’s had a poor World Cup and is our Sterling.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #431 on December 20, 2022, 10:43:33 am by tyke1962 »
Probably worth a thread in its own right but who genuinely believes Southgate will win us the 2024 Euros ?

Probably not a surprise to one or two on here but I dont .

We'll do ok but we will lose once we come up against someone equally ranked at the sharp end of the tournament .

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #432 on December 20, 2022, 11:49:49 am by steve@dcfd »
Probably worth a thread in its own right but who genuinely believes Southgate will win us the 2024 Euros ?

We'll do ok but we will lose once we come up against someone equally ranked at the sharp end of the tournament .

I am not sure we will, have we really got the best eleven in Europe plus squad. France got to the final and had players missing. So if we don’t win it then just can’t blame the manager.
Which managers do you see that can get more out of the squad. We haven’t had an English manager in charge of a premier league club that’s won the champions league. We have one at Chelsea but they were already in the Champions league when he got the job. Do you believe they have to be English or foreign. But let’s not forget we had the golden generation with different managers did they do better did they win a trophy.

England women won the Euros by selecting and getting the best international ladies manager out there. Yet the men according most pundits must have a English manager.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 01:01:22 pm by steve@dcfd »

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #433 on December 20, 2022, 04:28:00 pm by bahrain rover »
Even though almost every pundit and reporter have condemned or criticised the WC being held in Qatar it's taken Gary Neville to make any members of this Govt to speak out......... but only to condemn him for speaking out on tv and compare what happened in Qatar with migrant workers to the situation over here regarding decent wages and working conditions

Thank you Raven.
Colin C what did I say previously about the UK and under payed and conditions you didn’t accept. Go ask the thousands of Filipino OFW medical staff keeping the NHS running how much they earn!! And what conditions do they live in ( how many to a room is a hint)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #434 on December 22, 2022, 07:02:41 am by dickos1 »

Nobody thought we’d reach the final in the last one but we were a penalty shootout away from winning it.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #435 on December 22, 2022, 07:27:12 am by wilts rover »

Nobody thought we’d reach the final in the last one but we were a penalty shootout away from winning it.

In the past two WC's we have lost to an eventual finalist. In the Euros we beat one of those finalists to reach the final.

Yet the best chance we have of winning the next WC will be a manager who has never managed a team outside the UK never mind winning anything meaningful?

Southgate is clearly the best person to manage England - until someone else gains the experience to show they can do the job any better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012