Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:26:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Gillingham game  (Read 4241 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Gillingham game
« on April 23, 2024, 11:45:16 pm by selby »
  It has been an incredible time to be a Rovers fan, and we are now the talk of the town. The change in fortune so dramatic local people with just a passing interest in football now watching our every move and hoping we win and at least being interested in our results and long may it last.
  The big question is can we get over the line and reach the play offs like we deserve to do. One point on Saturday at Gillingham will do it even if the sides just below us win,  but it would be great to get that eleventh win on the trot especially at Gillingham.
  We are the football league side Gillingham have their best record against,  usually we end up playing poorly there and have on a number of occasions even when we have had a half decent side and rarely have we done ourselves justice, they just seem to be that side to us, the good news is I have always thought of Colchester in the same vein but not quite as bad.
  Last weekend they lost 2-1 to Mansfield at Mansfield but ran them close and did their best to spoil Mansfield's promotion party hitting the woodwork twice and Mansfield had to come from behind to a Dieng goal to overcome Gillingham.
  They have absolutely nothing to play for apart from pride, but have no pressure at all while we will carry quite a bit into the game, added to watching what is going on at Colchester, Crawley, and Barrow where the results can effect our final standing if we lose.
  Our own approach must be to carry on what we are doing, don't depend on just getting that point, go for the win and believe what we are at the moment a good side capable of beating anyone in this division.
  Their recent form of just two wins in the last six games drawing one and losing three has seen them tail off a little, and hopefully they could blood a couple of youngsters although I don't think they will,  their lack of scoring the goals a top team needs to has been their main problem, but their defensive record is solid in other words a dour normal Gillingham side that has been a pain in our backside over the years.
  Injuries allowing I would be surprised to see us make many changes at all, What do you think?
  After the most topsy turvey season from the depths of despair to setting record runs of wins on the trot for the club denies explanation, and from a team that was so passive the first half of the season to mixing it with Colchester physically has turned our season upside down in the best way possible, now it is the last hardest step, can we do it? just go for it, lot's to discuss, lots to admire, Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Gillingham game
« Reply #1 on April 23, 2024, 11:58:53 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Personally I don't think tonight's score reflected the game, it was awful, nervy and not how we have performed recently. I think the poor pitch and wind didn't help but we were playing into their hands a lot and it was a hard watch.

We are at our best when attacking and that's what I think we need to do.

I'm really worried that a draw would be enough, I didn't want that creeping into the equation!!!

COYR just get the job done!!!!

It is going to be a llllooooonnnnnggggg week to Saturday 3pm!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 24, 2024, 12:10:28 am by dknward2 »
Thank god it's already wednesday

Dazator

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 24, 2024, 05:57:18 am by Dazator »
Personally I don't think tonight's score reflected the game, it was awful, nervy and not how we have performed recently. I think the poor pitch and wind didn't help but we were playing into their hands a lot and it was a hard watch.

We are at our best when attacking and that's what I think we need to do.

I'm really worried that a draw would be enough, I didn't want that creeping into the equation!!!

COYR just get the job done!!!!

It is going to be a llllooooonnnnnggggg week to Saturday 3pm!

This was my view too. The result was amazing and clinical but it flattered what I saw. I thought it was just me as the ifollow commentators were lapping us up.
Maybe a bit leggy from Saturday, but we definitely gave them too many sniffs of goal for that result to be repeated if we replayed the game a few times over. In Grant we trust and maybe some learning to be found between now and Saturday but I'd certainly not want to play like that again, as the risks of a poor result are too high

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 24, 2024, 06:19:24 am by Chris Black come back »
They have a very average home record. Literally average - 13th out of the 24 sides in League Two. Largely that is due to drawing the most at home in our league, with 8 draws. They are very tight there having conceded 21 goals, less than a goal a game and bettered only by Stockport and Barrow. Recent home form pretty strong - last five they have won two (Wrexham and Barrow) and of course drawn three (Crewe, Grimsby and Tranmere). This could be a close game.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 24, 2024, 07:12:30 am by IDM »
Don’t forget a draw confirms us in the play offs.  Even a defeat, should either Barrow or Crawley not win, would do it.  Then if they both win but Crewe lose by the same margin as us, we still do it.

Regardless of how tough the game is, it’s looking very favourable to us.  It might be a crap game but no one will care, and I believe we will win anyway.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 24, 2024, 07:23:15 am by Paul Simpson »
I’ll be there with my son on Saturday cheering our boys on. Whatever happens at Gillingham it’s been a fantastic ride we’ve been on this season. Well done to the players, staff , Terry , Gavin and especially Grant !!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 25, 2024, 12:09:18 am by Bristol Red Rover »
I always saw the Gills game as the toughest in the last 10 games run in, more than Wrexham. Of course this Saturday is as unique as any game and considering just this day, I think we have the edge.

However, as has been mentioned, our overall League record at their ground over the years is dire:
Won 3
Drawn 9
Lost 23
For 27 (ave 0.77)
Against 65 (ave 1.86)

In just the 4th tier it's:
Won 0
Drawn 4
Lost 12
For 10 (ave 0.83)
Against 35 (ave 2.92)

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 25, 2024, 05:59:39 am by Rovers91 »
We just need to get the first goal and settle the nerves, only Forest Green have scored fewer goals than these.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 25, 2024, 07:38:55 am by ncRover »
If Forest Green score more than Gillingham this weekend it will be the 3rd consecutive season that the Gills have been the lowest scorers in their respective division.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 25, 2024, 09:38:36 am by selby »
  The nerves are starting to jangle as the game gets nearer and the memories of the turgid games and disappointment after watching numerous non event games we have lost to Gillingham where the anti football gods have taken over the green grass for a day come flooding back, and I know the Gillingham players would love to do exactly the same to us on Saturday.
  Unusually we are going for a double over them us having one of our few good days in the first half of the season and coming out on top 2-1, god they must have been poor when most teams saw us as a banker win at that time, perhaps the stato's could say if we have ever done the double over them in past season's as I would not be surprised if we had never done it before.
  From the temporary stand and poor facilities, the long walk past the lines of dust bins outside run down houses Gillingham exudes depression and the football almost never failed to back the mood up.
  For once I would take another terrible game 0-0 and for once would enjoy it, fouls, stoppages, and a southern ref from the  London area hell bent on giving us nothing, the lot as long as we get that point. 
  But really I want to go there and play some great football, against a team that have a go at us and take part in a great game of football that we win, and the game does the two teams justice, I live in hope, know we can do it but whether we are allowed to is another question.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 25, 2024, 09:46:10 am by Campsall rover »
I always saw the Gills game as the toughest in the last 10 games run in, more than Wrexham. Of course this Saturday is as unique as any game and considering just this day, I think we have the edge.

However, as has been mentioned, our overall League record at their ground over the years is dire:
Won 3
Drawn 9
Lost 23
For 27 (ave 0.77)
Against 65 (ave 1.86)

In just the 4th tier it's:
Won 0
Drawn 4
Lost 12
For 10 (ave 0.83)
Against 35 (ave 2.92)
BRR I was hoping no one else was going to post our away record at Gillingham again before Saturday.
I posted it some weeks ago but have kept stum since as this is now become a crucial game.

I just hope none of the players are reading this thread and GM has banned the players from all social media this week. Psychologically it can affect the players.

Having said that I think the players are in such a good place right now that if they did see those horrible stats then it would just make them even more determined to go and win the game.
There is a club record at stake as well as a play off place and I am sure they will be massively up for achieving both goals.
We don’t want to rely on Barrow, Crawley & Crewe all losing or drawing.

We love last day drama don’t we. I don’t want to go through another Cheltenham Town scenario or even a Brentford one even though that one turned out quite well  :rolleyes: 
I seriously don’t think I could take that sort of drama again.

Just a nice 3-0 comfortable win please and Barrow, Crawley and Crewe all losing 3-0 with 5 mins to play.
Oh UTOPIA
Will that happen, will it heck.  :crying: :facepalm:  :headbang:

But we will get over the line.  :) 

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 25, 2024, 10:26:16 am by ForsolongaRover »
Whilst it is interesting to contemplate stats, and we know that even more than in times gone by, there is an obsession with data, you have to consider how relevant it is in the lower divisions. At higher levels in football with longer contracts the team that club A put out against Club B will contain quite a lot of players who were present the season before and the one before that. Memories might affect the mindset and the prevalence of strengths and weaknesses of both sides could well come into play in the same fixture the following year or years.

But nowadays long-serving players are the exception rather than the rule in the lower leagues so the continuity element is only marginal. Normally too each team has an equal incentive to win and whilst we can talk of players impressing to earn contracts and the satisfaction in sabotaging another club’s ambitions, there cannot be a real equivalence in this situation. The players who have no contractual pressure in the Gillingham team are not going to launch themselves into do-or-die mode.

Agreed that the nerves will be on Rovers shoulders, but they are used to success and should not suddenly run out of confidence.

So let’s hope it will be more tense for us than for those on the pitch.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 25, 2024, 11:03:13 am by DearneValleyRover »
I think Saturday, both physically and emotionally took a lot out of the players and it showed on Tuesday, especially in the first half. I’m not overly confident about Saturday but that’s more to do with how poor we usually are at Gillingham. I expect an improvement of the Tuesday’s performance will be seen and I’m hoping it will be enough.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 25, 2024, 11:26:58 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We can't fault the players for their resolve and finding a way to win. They are handling the pressure and workload exceptionally well. Another thing that probably helps is knowing the end is in sight as well as the huge prize being so close also knowing the achievement is something they'll be proud of for the rest of their careers. It's a heady mix of personal and collective desires that will drive them on.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 25, 2024, 11:48:48 am by Avsuptem »
With a vociferous Donny support of more than 1,000 souls on the scaffolding + a several more with me in the Medway stand there will be an intimidating spiritual force of true Yorkshire grit to lift our players and intimidate theirs.
Having emerged miserable from Priestfield stadium multiple times in the last half century I am praying that this Satdy we suppress the Gillingham jinx. It must be. Our line up of players is oozing skill and brimming with confidence. Barring a cruel twist of football fate or a glitched referee's whistle we must surely have too much for them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 11:51:29 am by Avsuptem »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 25, 2024, 01:41:12 pm by Campsall rover »
I am a little surprised with the number of posts I have seen on here and on Face Book saying we were poor on Tuesday at Colchester.

Yes they did cause us a problem down the flanks particularly our left side where James Maxwell was given a thorough examination from their right winger. They got some telling crosses into the box no question. Does that make it a poor performance from our lads.
No it doesn’t. There are 2 teams playing and we are not going to dominate every game for 90+ mins against anyone.

The facts are though apart from the goal they scored they were far from clinical. Most crosses they delivered there was no one on the end to finish, and on the very few occasions in the entire 95 mins there was then they were well off the mark.
Think TLT only had one serious save to make after they scored in the 9th min. He did not need to save any in the 1st 8 mins even with their fast forays into the last 3rd of the pitch in that early part of the game.

Colchester came out of the blocks fast. They had a lot to play for as we did. They were at home, it would have been a surprise if they hadn’t looked up for it.
I thought we were always looking a threat when we went forward and our 2 1st half goals were clinically executed.
I never really thought that Colchester were on top after that. Yes they had quite a bit of possession in the 2nd half but they never really hurt us and I think we defended really well and controlled the tempo drawing them to the man in possession and springing quick attacks with some really good passing and interplay.
We then got 2 late goals which completely killed the game.

Imo a thoroughly professional performance against a team who looked far from a relegation outfit.
If we can win 4-1 away from home and play “poorly” then I will take that every away game.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 01:45:53 pm by Campsall rover »

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 25, 2024, 01:58:17 pm by gillinghamrover »
I was looking forward to this game 6 or so weeks ago! Now, not so much! Our record is shocking down here. Many Gills supporting friends are predicting a win for us, however, as Gillingham have nothing to play for the buggers will probably play like Brazil :-(
Fingers crossed for a decent match and of course the correct result for The Rovers!
RTID

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 25, 2024, 02:02:55 pm by ncRover »
They play Josh Andrews up top on his own. Nothing to worry about.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 25, 2024, 02:19:30 pm by Campsall rover »
They play Josh Andrews up top on his own. Nothing to worry about.
He came on as sub 2nd half at Harrogate. Think he only touched the ball twice.
Gillingham were 1-0 up at H/T and were totally over run 2nd half by Harrogate. They tore them apart and scored 5 goals.
They are usually very frugal at the back so that was not typical, but if we attack them with a high tempo we should be too good for them. They are not the quickest at the back and up front they are not great. Goals scored is lowest in the league bar FGR I think.

We just need to show that we want it more than they do. If we do we should be OK

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 25, 2024, 02:22:05 pm by Barmby Rover »
Rovers yo win 0 - 3 and get the play-off hopefuls frightened.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 25, 2024, 02:29:00 pm by graingrover »
Of course past away record means nothing other than to create a  fear factor for the superstitious .I don’t categorise GM as such a bloke .

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 25, 2024, 03:49:11 pm by Avsuptem »
I am a little surprised with the number of posts I have seen on here and on Face Book saying we were poor on Tuesday at Colchester.

Yes they did cause us a problem down the flanks particularly our left side where James Maxwell was given a thorough examination from their right winger. They got some telling crosses into the box no question. Does that make it a poor performance from our lads.
No it doesn’t. There are 2 teams playing and we are not going to dominate every game for 90+ mins against anyone.

The facts are though apart from the goal they scored they were far from clinical. Most crosses they delivered there was no one on the end to finish, and on the very few occasions in the entire 95 mins there was then they were well off the mark.
Think TLT only had one serious save to make after they scored in the 9th min. He did not need to save any in the 1st 8 mins even with their fast forays into the last 3rd of the pitch in that early part of the game.

Colchester came out of the blocks fast. They had a lot to play for as we did. They were at home, it would have been a surprise if they hadn’t looked up for it.
I thought we were always looking a threat when we went forward and our 2 1st half goals were clinically executed.
I never really thought that Colchester were on top after that. Yes they had quite a bit of possession in the 2nd half but they never really hurt us and I think we defended really well and controlled the tempo drawing them to the man in possession and springing quick attacks with some really good passing and interplay.
We then got 2 late goals which completely killed the game.

Imo a thoroughly professional performance against a team who looked far from a relegation outfit.
If we can win 4-1 away from home and play “poorly” then I will take that every away game.

I was at this game and got a great view from half way up the stand on the halfway line. And whereas your words are valid Camp's there is no way we were four goals to one better than them.  TLT kept us in front when we were 2-1 up with yet another fantastic reflex save (how many times has he done that since January ?) they were allover us for many spells and hats off to our defenders who kept their giant and very skillful attacking force at  bay. It was heart in the mouth to watch for much of the game and it is very hard to understand why the U's are third from bottom. They are very capable of doing us a favour  v Crewe.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 25, 2024, 04:03:59 pm by IDM »
I went to Gillingham once, and we won 2-0..  easy peasy..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 25, 2024, 05:03:08 pm by drfchound »
I have only been once, and we won 3-1… lemon squeezy.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 25, 2024, 05:16:17 pm by BobG »
I only went once too. The Heart of Football. Dreadful game. 0-0. Versus Brighton!

BobG

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 25, 2024, 05:50:48 pm by PDX_Rover »
I went once. That was enough

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 25, 2024, 08:36:20 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I’ve been several times, the first time was when I first saw Copps and I remember him and Woods doing a bit of SOD “tippy-tappy” in the warm up. So many of the players - O’Connor, Roberts etc., used to warm up that way and it never failed to impress me. We tried to find the advertised “Park and Ride” and having gone a fair way unsuccessfully in the direction of Dover we turned round and parked at some expense in a builder’s yard. I don’t think we lost, but I’m not going to look it up.

I’ve never come away exactly “buzzing” and I tend to remember things like meeting Glenn Wilson selling “Popular Stand”, rather than what happened on the pitch. We did win once fairly recently, but it was one of those games when it looked as though the Gillingham players were not trying to score and you wondered whether they were taking a form of industrial action!

I did seriously consider going this time but would have to pose as a home supporter and they seemed to want a photograph just to register and I draw the line there.

And, although I’ve mentioned it before, I do credit the Gills fans for applauding the announcement of Marquis’s name who had a successful loan there.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 25, 2024, 08:51:14 pm by selby »
  The only 2 times we have won two games on the trot v Gillingham were  the 16th of December 1961 2-1 and 15th of September 1962 1-0 and  14th of March 1970 and 23rd of January 1971 both 1-0 victories but in separate seasons, we have never done the double over them in one season.
  So we need to make history on Saturday
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:00:12 pm by selby »

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 25, 2024, 08:52:24 pm by StocksArmy »
Sorry if this has been mentioned already but, to anybody who has been before, where is the best place to go for a pint for away fans?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012