Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:53:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 921780 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #9660 on January 25, 2021, 01:25:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB
So to take your argument to its logical conclusion, in Germany in 1933, people shouldn't have been talking about politics because it was a sensitive subject? Just ignore the subject and see what happens?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9661 on January 25, 2021, 01:48:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
In 1933 Germany I doubt people would have dared to condemn 'bas**rd Hitler' and 'Little shite Himler' on an internet forum.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9662 on January 25, 2021, 02:24:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I don't understand BB. Was that a "yes" or a "no"?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9663 on January 25, 2021, 02:33:38 pm by redarmy82 »
Back to the virus, a manager of a Holiday Inn has been on the radio saying the government is in negotiations to use their hotels for the next 12-18 months for arrivals into the UK.

Just shows how long term this is going to be.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9664 on January 25, 2021, 02:45:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't understand BB. Was that a "yes" or a "no"?
They shouldn't have been if they valued their and their families lives. For that reason, it is a feeble analogy because we don't have that problem in the UK, and hopefully, we never will. It's just a pity that the freedom of speech that we enjoy here is exploited so much.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9665 on January 25, 2021, 03:38:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You are changing the terms of the discussion BB, as you always do when put on the spot.

Please address the specific question that is the logical conclusion of your approach.

Do you think that people should not have criticised the Govt in Germany in 1933 on the grounds that doing so would have implied a degree of political bias, and politics was sensitive at that time.

The question of the safety of them and their families is a totally different issue and has no relevance to the point we are discussing.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9666 on January 25, 2021, 04:08:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I changed the terms of the discussion! You decide to change the direction of the discussion from a forum based one to a situation in 1933 Germany and accuse ME of changing the terms of the discussion!

Ah well!

Yes, of course people should have criticised the German government in 1933, but those in fear of their and their families lives shouldn't have been expected to.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9667 on January 25, 2021, 04:22:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Right. We've got there.

We have established the principle that discussing politics and criticising a Government, even in politically sensitive times, is acceptable. Took a bit more effort than I would have expected, but we got there in the end.

Your other complaint was about posters who only express one side of an argument. Yet you only, ever, complain (and you DO regularly complain) about people doing that from one side of the political spectrum. You ignore MANY examples of that happening from the other side.

Surely, if you appoint yourself as the arbiter of what is politically biased, you should be pointing out this sort of behaviour from both sides? Otherwise, you are, by definition, being politically biased.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #9668 on January 25, 2021, 04:28:31 pm by Colin C No.3 »
I hated Thatcher.

Maggie not Dennis.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9669 on January 25, 2021, 04:50:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
More positive news from the COVID figures.

We can now almost certainly say that he peak in daily deaths occurred around the end of the week before last. Hopefully, the new deaths per day should be coming down quite steeply now, but  it'll take another 7-10 days to be sure. Still a dreadful death toll, but the worst should hopefully be well behind us now.

The fall in new cases looks very promising. The cases are continuing to halve every fortnight or so which is about as good as we could have possibly hoped for, and faster than during the lockdown-lite in November. I'm starting to think that we might be able to cautiously go back to the Tier system from late Feb. If cases do carry on halving every fortnight, we'd be back down to 4-5000 new cases a day by then, which is where we were in early September. That would be a massive bonus.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9670 on January 25, 2021, 05:00:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Right. We've got there.

We have established the principle that discussing politics and criticising a Government, even in politically sensitive times, is acceptable. Took a bit more effort than I would have expected, but we got there in the end.

Your other complaint was about posters who only express one side of an argument. Yet you only, ever, complain (and you DO regularly complain) about people doing that from one side of the political spectrum. You ignore MANY examples of that happening from the other side.

Surely, if you appoint yourself as the arbiter of what is politically biased, you should be pointing out this sort of behaviour from both sides? Otherwise, you are, by definition, being politically biased.
I don't object to talking politics on forums that allow it, but I object to one-sided, half a story misleading posts. I also object to calling politicians bas**rds and little shites. That's a far easier thing to do nowadays in front of a keypad than it was for a German citizen in 1939. Don't you agree?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #9671 on January 25, 2021, 05:06:20 pm by Ldr »

We can now almost certainly say that he peak in daily deaths occurred around the end of the week before last. Hopefully, the new deaths per day should be coming down quite steeply now, but  it'll take another 7-10 days to be sure. Still a dreadful death toll, but the worst should hopefully be well behind us now.

The fall in new cases looks very promising. The cases are continuing to halve every fortnight or so which is about as good as we could have possibly hoped for, and faster than during the lockdown-lite in November. I'm starting to think that we might be able to cautiously go back to the Tier system from late Feb. If cases do carry on halving every fortnight, we'd be back down to 4-5000 new cases a day by then, which is where we were in early September. That would be a massive bonus.

Agreed, hopeful it continues. Hope everyone on here stays safe

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9672 on January 25, 2021, 05:11:00 pm by Filo »

Theres no coincidence the present spike started with the Schools going back, and the fall of infections started when Schools were closed

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #9673 on January 25, 2021, 05:14:11 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Yes Filo, but, "Schools are safe".

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9674 on January 25, 2021, 05:41:04 pm by ravenrover »
Just looked at figures for 20Jan per 100,000 and the vast majority of areas are going down which includes all parts of London, fingers crossed this trend continues.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9675 on January 25, 2021, 05:43:08 pm by wilts rover »
570 teaching and support staff have died since March last year (ONS figures)

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1353679610370777088

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9676 on January 25, 2021, 05:53:59 pm by redarmy82 »
No international travel for 12 months is what is being reported by the Daily Mail now.

Don't see many airports (including our own) surviving that without government bailouts.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9677 on January 25, 2021, 05:56:50 pm by Filo »
No international travel for 12 months is what is being reported by the Daily Mail now.

Don't see many airports (including our own) surviving that without government bailouts.

DSA does a lot of freight

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9678 on January 25, 2021, 05:59:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB.

But, oddly, for someone who is so against "political bias" that you seems to consider it your role to counter it, you never, EVER criticise people arguing from a right-biased direction. Strange, that, wouldn't you say? Almost as if you were politically biased.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9679 on January 25, 2021, 06:12:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST. Answer the question.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9680 on January 25, 2021, 06:17:05 pm by redarmy82 »

DSA does a lot of freight

Enough to keep the place a going concern? It lost almost £11 million in the last financial year, with record passenger numbers.

It only has two passenger airlines that operate from there, and who knows what their situation would be in 12 months time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9681 on January 25, 2021, 08:18:33 pm by drfchound »

[/quote]
BST, what about the posters who use disrespectful names for other politicians.
There have been so many applied to people like Johnson, Hancock etc.
That has to work both ways doesn’t it.

Hound.

With respect, I  think you are entirely misunderstanding the whole point of my post.

No I’m not BST.
I have noticed though that you have avoided giving a response to my question.
I am not surprised by that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:38:47 pm by drfchound »

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9682 on January 25, 2021, 08:28:36 pm by belton rover »
Have some posts just disappeared, or have I imagined it?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9683 on January 25, 2021, 08:32:52 pm by drfchound »
Which ones are you thinking of Belton.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9684 on January 25, 2021, 08:37:23 pm by belton rover »
Well I’m not sure. I thought I’d read the finale of Bentley and Billy’s side discussion, but it seems not. I had just dropped off though - maybe it was a dream.

Dead vivid it was.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9685 on January 25, 2021, 08:40:02 pm by scawsby steve »
Well I’m not sure. I thought I’d read the finale of Bentley and Billy’s side discussion, but it seems not. I had just dropped off though - maybe it was a dream.

Dead vivid it was.

It wasn't a dream, Belton. It's somehow managed to find it's way onto the South Africa virus thread.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9686 on January 25, 2021, 08:42:22 pm by belton rover »
LOL!
WTF happened there?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9687 on January 25, 2021, 08:44:21 pm by drfchound »

Dead vivid it was.

It wasn't a dream, Belton. It's somehow managed to find it's way onto the South Africa virus thread.

That virus appears to be VERY dangerous

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9688 on January 25, 2021, 08:46:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I blame Boris.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9689 on January 25, 2021, 08:49:56 pm by belton rover »
It’s like putting the last episode of ‘Breaking Bad’ on Channel 5.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012