Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:37:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tactical reshuffle  (Read 3128 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Tactical reshuffle
« on December 26, 2016, 05:22:00 pm by NickDRFC »
Awful first half, no midfield and everyone looked like they couldn't be arsed. Credit to Fergie though, at half time he moved Mason into midfield, Rowe to left back, Mandeville to the left wing and Williams more through the middle. And it worked perfectly. We looked much more solid in the middle of the park, Mandeville had his moments on the left, Rowe put in a superb cross on the overlap for the goal and Williams was a constant threat second half.

Still improvements to be made with this team but the way we dug in and pulled our socks up after a dreadful first half makes me very optimistic. As well as how we were flexible enough to cope and adapt as the game went on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re: Tactical reshuffle
« Reply #1 on December 26, 2016, 05:39:28 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Did Baudry and Rowe look bad when they went off? (I know Baudry was subbed at half time)

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 26, 2016, 05:46:31 pm by karldew »
Baudry was our best player imo. It must have been an injury?.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 26, 2016, 05:48:11 pm by NickDRFC »
Didn't see Baudry struggling but must have been an injury as he was our best player by far first half. Rowe, difficult to tell - some sort of muscular injury in his leg so hopefully not too serious.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 26, 2016, 05:57:15 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Thanks Nick, hopefully just cramp for Rowe then.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 26, 2016, 06:43:56 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Was walking fine Rowe. He comes off as soon as he feels something so it isn't made worse

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 26, 2016, 06:50:26 pm by IDM »
Didn't  notice anything wrong with Baudry too before half time..

Perhaps both were taken off as a precaution,with the matches to come..

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 26, 2016, 07:01:34 pm by albie »
Fergie gives his explanation in the post match interview;
BBC Radio Sheffield - Football Heaven, 'Today we knew it would be a fight'

Good 3 points today.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 26, 2016, 07:06:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, very scrappy in first half and I half expected Middleton to come on because Houghton couldn't do it all on his own.

Better in second half but again we were our own worst enemies by holding on to the ball too long then getting caught and giving silly fouls away. I wish they would just play the simple pass when it's on.

I thought again Marquis on wasn't at his best but we ground out a win although 2-0 wouldn't have flattered.

Good following today and my first away win for a long time.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 26, 2016, 11:26:28 pm by Lesonthewest »
Yes, very scrappy in first half and I half expected Middleton to come on because Houghton couldn't do it all on his own.

Better in second half but again we were our own worst enemies by holding on to the ball too long then getting caught and giving silly fouls away. I wish they would just play the simple pass when it's on.

I thought again Marquis on wasn't at his best but we ground out a win although 2-0 wouldn't have flattered.

Good following today and my first away win for a long time.

Spot on, time & again we held onto the ball too long or ignoring the easy option, especially first half. Second half was better with Mason getting hold of the midfield & providing better service into the front two, well done to Fergie for the change at half time. The one bit of quality all game got us the win, wasn't pretty but who cares. Butler my MOTM.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 26, 2016, 11:44:42 pm by Jonathan »
Mason is a very good player. Looks comfortable at either full back and I thought he was excellent in midfield. Would be a great addition in the longer term. It goes without saying that Houghton would be as well - he makes everything look easy.

Two top signings on loan that it would be great to see stay longer.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 27, 2016, 12:31:15 am by the vicar »
Didn't see Baudry struggling but must have been an injury as he was our best player by far first half. Rowe, difficult to tell - some sort of muscular injury in his leg so hopefully not too serious.
Rowe walked half way round the pitch without limping so maybe precaution

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 27, 2016, 02:58:01 am by Sammy Chung was King »
That's the good thing with Mason he is a player who can perform in a number of positions to a good standard. I would be resting both Baudry and Rowe up now, give them a couple of days off. They are both important to how we play but any doubts then leave them on the bench.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 27, 2016, 03:16:46 am by PDX_Rover »
Nice to have a manager again who actually understands tactics and how to make the changes to improve the team performance. Know your players and the options they offer.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 27, 2016, 03:33:56 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He was pretty decisive with his decisions today. They don't always come off but i prefer a manager prepared to take a chance to get a result rather than wait until the last few minutes.
Football can make any manager look a genius or a total idiot just with a few decisions. He seems to know every squad members capabilities and trusts what they can do.

Last season that knowledge and trust just wasn't there. As i have said a fair few times he has done a good job managing all the injuries not complaining about it and restricting any negative impact on the teams position.
With all our squad fit i honestly think we would be a fair few points in the clear. To maintain us around the top with the injuries he has done well.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 27, 2016, 07:59:21 am by RoversAlias »
Got to second the praise for Fergie's tactical nous, we've seen him able to positively affect the game with changes throughout the season.

It is a long way forward from the days of Saunders and Dickov leaving much to be desired in this department.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 27, 2016, 12:30:34 pm by RedJ »
I don't know, Saunders wasn't too bad with his subs.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 27, 2016, 02:00:04 pm by pib »
Joe Wright played really well when he came on too.  Won a crunching tackle straight away then got to everything aerially.  Looks a player with potential.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 27, 2016, 02:11:44 pm by The Red Baron »
Both Stead and the over-physical No 9 tried to beat Wright up but he stood up very well to the challenge.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 27, 2016, 02:55:20 pm by Move DRFC »
Thought Baudry Butler and Wright were all excellent. Dealt with everything

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 27, 2016, 03:57:20 pm by NickDRFC »
Both Stead and the over-physical No 9 tried to beat Wright up but he stood up very well to the challenge.

That sub was horribly dirty. No skill so made up for it with throwing his (not insubstantial) weight around.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 27, 2016, 04:34:25 pm by The Red Baron »
Should have walked for a second yellow. Probably one of the poorest apologies I've seen for a professional footballer outside those clowns that R'son and Weasel recruited.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 27, 2016, 09:05:58 pm by Retdon1 »
i thought all 3 centre halfs were very good yesterday. Butler wins pretty much everything in the air and baudry is a different class for this division on the ball. Add a decent left back in Jan and the back 4 looks class for this level with decent players for back up too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012