Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 01:53:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: People used to say ....  (Read 1517 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
People used to say ....
« on March 10, 2024, 08:03:59 am by Donnywolf »
I went to a Fight and a game of Ice Hockey broke out

It could now be altered to " I went to a Wrestling bout and a game of Football broke out"

Pundits and Refs are normalising the groping, grasping , shirt pulling , shirt holding , illegal blocking and feel free to add your own and as they do it will just proliferate and continue to make a mockery of the so called " beautiful game "

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: People used to say ....
« Reply #1 on March 10, 2024, 08:06:07 am by drfchound »
Agreed Wolfie.  The holding etc is now beyond ridiculous.
Enough said.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 10, 2024, 08:49:47 am by ravenrover »
And we've got one of the worst , big Tom how he doesn't give a penalty at every corner he defends I don't know

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 10, 2024, 09:37:47 am by roversdude »
Agree with that rr, always seems to be looking to play the man rather than the ball. Can’t fault his recent performances however

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 10, 2024, 10:31:44 am by Campsall rover »
The wrestling needs dealing with once and for all
This is a modern day phenomenon.

Until there is a lasting crackdown on this by the refs which needs to come from the top then it will continue.

If all the refs start giving penalties then it will cease.
It’s not rocket science. Why are the football hierarchy not doing something?
The beautiful game is run by incompetent people. It really is.
Also VAR is never going to work as it was intended. Get rid. It’s obvious it is making our game less entertaining.
Thank goodness we do not have it in the EFL.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 10, 2024, 10:44:50 am by roversontheup »
I’ve thought the same for a while. One corner we defended I could see about four separate little battles going on and thought to myself…….penalty going to be conceded here. Same was going on at the other end too. It needs stopping but at present players do it right under the refs nose knowing nothing will be given! It’s got ridiculous.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 10, 2024, 10:48:49 am by The Dav »
Tommy and their number 20 yesterday were having a right good go at it yesterday ! He kep trying to impede our keeper with every corner they had and Tommy was making sure he didn’t with whatever means were necessary ! I was sh*tying it that the red would blow for a spot kick !

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 10, 2024, 10:49:29 am by Chris Black come back »
It has been very effective for Tom the last few months. The central defence under Wood has become a no go zone for opposition bully boys recently. They have started to stand up for themselves finally. Long may it continue.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 10, 2024, 10:58:54 am by Alan Southstand »
With what Ironside has had to contend with, throughout this season, it’s no wonder DonnyWolf has brought this to everyone’s attention and rightly so!

How Ironside keeps his cool when he seems to get assaulted at some point in every game and nothing given - the recent body slam at Bradford comes to mind. It was good to read that Biamou had a good second half yesterday and Joe got a well deserved sit out.

builder jon

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 10, 2024, 11:54:14 am by builder jon »
Goalkeepers catch the ball above their heads and drop like a stone to the floor lay their for 30 seconds  :crying:.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 10, 2024, 03:27:44 pm by drfchound »

Until there is a lasting crackdown on this by the refs which needs to come from the top then it will continue.

Also VAR is never going to work as it was intended. Get rid. It’s obvious it is making our game less entertaining.

There was a very short spell when pens were being given on a regular basis, was it a World Cup or maybe a Euros Championship and lots of pens were awarded.  It carried over to the start of the new season but by September we were back to normal.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 10, 2024, 10:52:06 pm by Colin C No.3 »
And don’t get me started on foul throw ins!

Wirral Rover

« Reply #12 on March 10, 2024, 11:55:08 pm by Wirral Rover »
⁶6⁶

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 11, 2024, 06:54:08 am by Donnywolf »

There was a very short spell when pens were being given on a regular basis, was it a World Cup or maybe a Euros Championship and lots of pens were awarded.  It carried over to the start of the new season but by September we were back to normal.

Yes ... I've found a great article ( from thousands of places ) where UEFA say that wrestling of players and Shirt pulling has gone on long enough , is a blight on the Game and is to be eradicated by new Rules being introduced in the upcoming Season. Then I spotted that the item was dated 2007.

I also "seem" to remember the SPL issued directives at the start of a new Season saying any pushing shoving etc spotted by any Ref would result in a Penalty if the foul was by the defending Team

I "seem" to recall there were 5 Penalties in one game on the first day. I "seem" to remember Motherwell were involved and it lasted a week from opening day and fizzled out.

Also this article says very much what irks us on here and it's from 2016 so nothing has / is changing

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/176622-pushing-pulling-holding-in-the-penalty-area/

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 11, 2024, 07:24:25 am by drfchound »

Yes ... I've found a great article ( from thousands of places ) where UEFA say that wrestling of players and Shirt pulling has gone on long enough , is a blight on the Game and is to be eradicated by new Rules being introduced in the upcoming Season. Then I spotted that the item was dated 2007.

I also "seem" to remember the SPL issued directives at the start of a new Season saying any pushing shoving etc spotted by any Ref would result in a Penalty if the foul was by the defending Team

I "seem" to recall there were 5 Penalties in one game on the first day. I "seem" to remember Motherwell were involved and it lasted a week from opening day and fizzled out.

Also this article says very much what irks us on here and it's from 2016 so nothing has / is changing

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/176622-pushing-pulling-holding-in-the-penalty-area/

Interesting.  Reading through those comments in the link you posted Wolfie people are saying that a foul is given elsewhere on the pitch for a similar holding offence.
Well I bet Joe Ironside wouldn’t agree with that.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 11, 2024, 09:26:47 am by Donnywolf »
Yes , it's the new area Refs are trying to get clever by letting grappling and even some trips go in the spirit of "letting the game flow". I understand why they are doing this but I think in the case of clear cut holding or fouling unless clear advantage is demonstrable the Ref should stop the game and award a Free kick instead

Another is assuming the role of a Doctor or Physio in an attempt to reduce time wasting. One day one of them will make an extremely poor decision and will get slammed for it. It would be easier to stop a Clock and bring Physio straight on

Refs shouldn't attempt to make such decisions but until we have a solution as in stopping a clock or onfield treatment as in say Rugby League they will I suppose continue doing it

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 11, 2024, 10:22:51 am by ravenrover »

Interesting.  Reading through those comments in the link you posted Wolfie people are saying that a foul is given elsewhere on the pitch for a similar holding offence.
I've said it before, Joe gives as good as he gets. People scream for a foul when Joe is backing in, holding and pulling as much as the CB he is up against. Yes there are times when he does get the rough end of the stick and no foul is given but let there be no doubt Joe is not a shrinking violet when it comes to the dark arts of a centre forward
Edit sorry should have added I love it

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 11, 2024, 10:37:12 am by drfchound »

I've said it before, Joe gives as good as he gets. People scream for a foul when Joe is backing in, holding and pulling as much as the CB he is up against. Yes there are times when he does get the rough end of the stick and no foul is given but let there be no doubt Joe is not a shrinking violet when it comes to the dark arts of a centre forward
Edit sorry should have added I love it

Yep, I know he isn’t a shrinking violet mate but there is no doubt that he gets fouled consistently throughout games.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 11, 2024, 12:43:36 pm by ravenrover »
But not as much as we like to think, it's not every tussle that's my point

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 11, 2024, 01:04:40 pm by donnievic »
And don’t get me started on foul throw ins!
foul throws can’t say I have seen any missed this season

TinyPortal © 2005-2012