Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 09:46:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: heffernan to be released by donny  (Read 9549 times)

yapper1901

• Forum Member
heffernan to be released by donny
« on May 04, 2010, 03:43:58 pm by yapper1901 »
on sky sports news

sky sports understands all parties involved believe this is the best for all parties

me I think they are probably right, I do think Heffernan is still a championship player but unfortunately over last two seasons he has fell out with odriscall even last season when we were scoring no goals he was sat on bench

till the songs started
\"we want Paul Heffernan\"
and then even though he only played part of the season he still ended top scorer and then this season not a look in, now I understand this is because of sharp but they could have formed a partnership together but I believe due to the fans calling the manager out
he fell out with Heffernan

good luck paul for the future

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bretby Rover

• VSC Member
Re:heffernan to be released by donny
« Reply #1 on May 04, 2010, 03:51:05 pm by Bretby Rover »
Paul is a good footballer but not champioship quality. Even after being recalled from Bristol he has had his chance but has been unable to rise to the challenge. Best of luck to him for the future.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 04, 2010, 03:56:05 pm by bedale rover »
he missed 3 chances against scunny

and 1 almost sitter against swansea where it would have been easier to score than miss

the way to prove the manager wrong is to score goals   and he didnt

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 04, 2010, 04:02:20 pm by CusworthRovers »
I'm not going to say he isn't good enough, as it will start another dubious 'he did it last season' debate. I will simply say 'we need better to move on'

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 04, 2010, 04:07:17 pm by mushRTID »
Im going to thank the best Rovers goalscorer we have had in recent years.

Some great and important goals along the way.

Good luck Heffs, you have been brilliant for us.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 04, 2010, 04:32:09 pm by Filo »
Heffs has been part of the journey, an important part at that! whether he can cut it at this level is a matter of opinions, Heffs moves on and hopefully gets his goal scoring talents going again, we as a club move on and try to improve the squad hopefully with a better striker, preferably Billy. Heffs goes with my best wishes and maybe the Team from S6 might take a look at him, he`ll get them goals in League 1

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 04, 2010, 04:35:42 pm by bedale rover »
mushRTID wrote:
Im going to thank the best Rovers goalscorer we have had in recent years.

Some great and important goals along the way.

Good luck Heffs, you have been brilliant for us.

in the pantheon of recent rovers goal scorers in my book he is behind paul barnes and gregg blundell  but that is damned good company to be in

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 04, 2010, 04:36:20 pm by DMnumber4 »
I've backed him and backed him and backed him. But Sunday's miss with 5 minutes to go proves why he won't be here next year. Dare I say Lewis wouldn't have missed?

That chance was the easiest of the game and don't come along too often in the Championship.

Thanks Heffs, yet another player which couldn't cope with the pace at which this club is developing / evolving / improving.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 04, 2010, 04:38:37 pm by mushRTID »
Depends how you view it, Heffs has scored at a higher level which to me adds to the argument of him been the best.

I understand other arguments backing the others though.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 04, 2010, 04:42:30 pm by grayx »
No great surprise really. Expect him to go back to Bristol Rovers where he will continue to do a good job. Good luck to him,but the right decision I feel.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 04, 2010, 04:43:27 pm by danrover82 »
Well it was hardly going to help him when he was scoring us to safety, after being dropped for the first half of the season last year. Then not be in favour again and have a 'better striker' come in on loan on more wages and play every game when you are on the bench watching.

If you ask me I think Heffernan hated the fact we called him back, so in return maynot have finished to his ability in recent weeks. I said it before Heffernans biggest mistake was being sent off in the play offs two years back!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 04, 2010, 04:45:32 pm by Filo »
danrover82 wrote:

If you ask me I think Heffernan hated the fact we called him back, so in return maynot have finished to his ability in recent weeks.

Utter b*llocks!

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 04, 2010, 04:47:44 pm by DMnumber4 »
mushRTID wrote:
Depends how you view it, Heffs has scored at a higher level which to me adds to the argument of him been the best.

Higher level than who though?

Looking at the striker situation we've got:

Brooker - crock

Guy - not good enough, on his way to Oldham

Hayter - model pro, tireless runner, scores now and then.

Sharp - goal getter. tough little work horse.

Heffernan - eye for goal but has to be right time, the goals find him, rather than the other way.

JET - young, versatile, creates a bit of something from nothing when the time suits.

Fairhurst - one 'for the future'. hope he gets the chance he deserves to shine.

So theres 2 on their way (Guy and Brooker), two loans (JET and Sharp), two out of contract (Fairhurst and Heffs) leaving us with Hayter!  :unsure:

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 04, 2010, 04:50:02 pm by danrover82 »
Filo wrote:
danrover82 wrote:

If you ask me I think Heffernan hated the fact we called him back, so in return maynot have finished to his ability in recent weeks.

Utter b*llocks!

He's made no secret of the fact he loved it down there. He is a confidence player like anyone. I dont think he ejoyed his time this season under SOD as he probably thought he did enough last year to secure more faith from the gaffer.  Probably hated the wrong word, but I honestly think its afftected him like it would any player!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 04, 2010, 05:31:37 pm by mushRTID »
DMnumber4 wrote:
mushRTID wrote:

Higher level than who though?

Looking at the striker situation we've got:

Brooker - crock

Guy - not good enough, on his way to Oldham

Hayter - model pro, tireless runner, scores now and then.

Sharp - goal getter. tough little work horse.

Heffernan - eye for goal but has to be right time, the goals find him, rather than the other way.

JET - young, versatile, creates a bit of something from nothing when the time suits.

Fairhurst - one 'for the future'. hope he gets the chance he deserves to shine.

So theres 2 on their way (Guy and Brooker), two loans (JET and Sharp), two out of contract (Fairhurst and Heffs) leaving us with Hayter!  :unsure:

I forgot to quote bedales response, my fault. Higher level than Blundell and Barnes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 04, 2010, 07:05:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There's no real debate to be had. Heffernan has scored 53 goals for us in 109 starts.

That's a higher rate than Blundell, Barnes or any other striker we have had since King Alick (ignoring players who only scored a handful of goals).

An all-time Rovers great, without a shadow of a doubt. Up there with Kitchen, Warboys, Cramb, Barnes, Blundell and any of the other Rovers striker heroes I've been lucky enough to watch. in fact, above all of them. And even more remarkable when you take into account that he was rarely a first choice player over the last 4 seasons.

It also reflects well on the rest if the squad that they managed to lay so many goals on a plate for him. They must have really liked him, because they didn't put them on a plate for any other player.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 04, 2010, 07:37:13 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Bretby Rover wrote:
Paul is a good footballer but not champioship quality.

Even excusing the spelling - that statement is absolute and utter rubbish.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 04, 2010, 07:37:50 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
There's no real debate to be had. Heffernan has scored 53 goals for us in 109 starts.

That's a higher rate than Blundell, Barnes or any other striker we have had since King Alick (ignoring players who only scored a handful of goals).

An all-time Rovers great, without a shadow of a doubt. Up there with Kitchen, Warboys, Cramb, Barnes, Blundell and any of the other Rovers striker heroes I've been lucky enough to watch. in fact, above all of them. And even more remarkable when you take into account that he was rarely a first choice player over the last 4 seasons.

It also reflects well on the rest if the squad that they managed to lay so many goals on a plate for him. They must have really liked him, because they didn't put them on a plate for any other player.

Amen to that BST.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 04, 2010, 07:48:40 pm by Savvy »
Can't believe we haven't had any cash offers for him if he was that good! vastly over-rated in my book and certainly not good enough to lace Peter Kitchens boots!

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #19 on May 04, 2010, 07:52:06 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Savvy wrote:
Can't believe we haven't had any cash offers for him if he was that good! vastly over-rated in my book and certainly not good enough to lace Peter Kitchens boots!

Heffs has been injury prone during his career. However, he is proven good enough. How can you even argue when the stats are there straight infront of you?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 04, 2010, 08:15:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I forgot to add that there will, no doubt be a succession of miserable t**ts coming on here to regale us with their opinion that Heffernan is hugely over-rated and strikers with a 50% hit rate grow on trees.

As for Kitchen, I get as dewey-eyed as anyone when I remembervhim, but let's have a bit of hard-headed realism here.

Heffernan has scored at very nearly a goal every other start in Tier 2 and 3 in an era when the top level of English football has it's pick of the world's talent. Peter Kitchen scored at a worse rate for us in Tier 4 in an era when the best strikers in the top tier were the likes of Mick Channon, Paul Mariner and Alan Sunderland.

The issue being that the quality of English football today is incomparable to what it was in the 1970s. Go watch an old Match of the Day and see for yourself. So a player who has been a success for us at this level in this era is head and shoulders above someone who was a success in Division 4 in the mid 70s, whatever our rose tinted specs would have us believe.  

Go back 30 years and players like Heffernan (and Sharp before anybody starts babbying) would have been top-flight players. No question whatsoever.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #21 on May 04, 2010, 08:34:03 pm by topnotch_Donny »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
I forgot to add that there will, no doubt be a succession of miserable t**ts coming on here to regale us with their opinion that Heffernan is hugely over-rated and strikers with a 50% hit rate grow on trees.

As for Kitchen, I get as dewey-eyed as anyone when I remembervhim, but let's have a bit of hard-headed realism here.

Heffernan has scored at very nearly a goal every other start in Tier 2 and 3 in an era when the top level of English football has it's pick of the world's talent. Peter Kitchen scored at a worse rate for us in Tier 4 in an era when the best strikers in the top tier were the likes of Mick Channon, Paul Mariner and Alan Sunderland.

The issue being that the quality of English football today is incomparable to what it was in the 1970s. Go watch an old Match of the Day and see for yourself. So a player who has been a success for us at this level in this era is head and shoulders above someone who was a success in Division 4 in the mid 70s, whatever our rose tinted specs would have us believe.  

Go back 30 years and players like Heffernan (and Sharp before anybody starts babbying) would have been top-flight players. No question whatsoever.

I totally agree.

When you look at footage from 20-40 even 10 years back, you can tell on the eye that it is a different ball game now.

Some people still argue that the game was better back in the day tho, maybe it takes a trained eye to see the difference?  :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 04, 2010, 08:43:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
topnotch_Donny wrote:

Some people still argue that the game was better back in the day tho, maybe it takes a trained eye to see the difference?  :)

It's called Old-Gitism. It's the sort of complaint that causes folk of a certain age to insist against all evidence and logic that things were better when I were a lad.

In terms of football, it takes a special kind of stubborness to even begin to think that the quality was better years back. That classic England-Brazil match in Mexico for example. You see more intense warm downs these days. It's hard for the old folk to accept, but the stars of their youth would simply not get a touch in the modern game. Players today are that good and that fit.

So, Zidane was better than Maradona who was better than Pele who was better than Puskas and so on. Over the next decade there'll be a player who makes Zidane look like a Donkey. George Best would get a game in L2 these days if he worked on his fitness and discipline. Kevin Keegan would be a willing Championship trier.

Jonathan

« Reply #23 on May 04, 2010, 09:14:09 pm by Jonathan »
Sad to see him go, and I'll have to change my picture at some point! He's been a great player for us in his time here and I agree that he stands up there with the likes of Colin Cramb, Paul Barnes and Gregg Blundell. Given the fact that he hasn't been top of the pecking order here this season (and unfortunately hasn't shown the form of last season when he's had the chances) it's probably the right time for him to move on. I'm absolutely certain that he will go on to do well at his next club, but he has nothing to prove to us and should always be guaranteed a top reception if he returns to play against us at any point in the future.

We will obviously need to replace him, which I don't think will be as easy or as impossible as some would have you believe.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #24 on May 04, 2010, 09:25:29 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Jonathan wrote:
Sad to see him go, and I'll have to change my picture at some point! He's been a great player for us in his time here and I agree that he stands up there with the likes of Colin Cramb, Paul Barnes and Gregg Blundell. Given the fact that he hasn't been top of the pecking order here this season (and unfortunately hasn't shown the form of last season when he's had the chances) it's probably the right time for him to move on. I'm absolutely certain that he will go on to do well at his next club, but he has nothing to prove to us and should always be guaranteed a top reception if he returns to play against us at any point in the future.

We will obviously need to replace him, which I don't think will be as easy or as impossible as some would have you believe.

I think it will be hard to replace him. Goalscorers cost the earth. It's going be bad if the club fail to bring in an adequate replacement.

Ah well, we have the world cup to relax us as it is going to be an intense summer, what with the majority of the players nearly out of contract  :(

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 04, 2010, 10:00:02 pm by RobTheRover »
Today is the day I've been dreading for months, even though I knew it was coming.  The realisation we've most probably seen the last of Heffs in the red and white hoops makes me very sad indeed, sentimental old fool that I am.

Good luck, Paul, wherever you play next.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 04, 2010, 10:02:58 pm by wilts rover »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
I forgot to add that there will, no doubt be a succession of miserable t**ts coming on here.....

No, surely not BST!

I find it difficult to believe that Rovers have not let Heffs go without having more than an eye to an adequate replacement(s), whether they will prove to be so, we shall find out next season. But you must admit that Billy Sharp has shown us to be the club to be at for somebody who wants to make their name.

Good luck Heffs at your next club, always one of my favourite players but sometimes a change is needed for all parties involved.

awsworth_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 05, 2010, 12:52:15 pm by awsworth_rover »
I will always sit and wonder if he didnt have so many injuries, how many goals this lad could have got. When fully fit, and in form, he is a goalscoring machine, the most gifted finisher ive seen at the club. BUT, unfortunately, we havent seen enough of him fully fit. Really gutted to see him go, although fully understand and agree with the decision. I wish him well, and will look forward to keeping a eye on his new club, and hope to see him on the scoresheet often. Good look Paul, all the best!  WEVE LOST PAUL HEFFERNAN!!!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 05, 2010, 03:50:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Bretby Rover wrote:

Let's see where he ends up. What Championship club do you think wouldn't like a free striker?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 05, 2010, 04:09:13 pm by Filo »
Glyn_Wigley wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Bretby Rover wrote:

Let's see where he ends up. What Championship club do you think wouldn't like a free striker?

Sheffield Wednesday? in League 1?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012