Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:17:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Sutton United game  (Read 6288 times)

goalkick

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Sutton United game
« Reply #60 on February 18, 2023, 05:26:32 pm by goalkick »
Sutton were a poor side but took their chances.  Would like to see us get a solid cb for next season as Rowe wasted in that position. Some signs of good football though but why do we persist in playing from the back.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on February 18, 2023, 05:28:45 pm by normal rules »
I’d love to see to Rowe play as a centre forward. I have no doubt he would find the back of the net.

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on February 18, 2023, 05:29:52 pm by Redroy »
Sutton are one of those clubs like Fleetwood and Morecambe that are like shit you can’t scrape from bottom of your shoe. It’s both a disgrace they did and entirely predictable they have beaten us.

Different ways to win a football game though isn't there. Bagged from a set piece and then hit us on the break.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on February 18, 2023, 06:29:43 pm by dickos1 »
Sutton are one of those clubs like Fleetwood and Morecambe that are like shit you can’t scrape from bottom of your shoe. It’s both a disgrace they did and entirely predictable they have beaten us.

They have the 2nd best home record in the league so I’m not sure they’re that shit. I think for periods today we made them look shit

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 18, 2023, 06:42:26 pm by Chris Black come back »

They have the 2nd best home record in the league so I’m not sure they’re that shit. I think for periods today we made them look shit

No, you’ve misunderstood. I used “club” as this is about their size, not their “team” and whatever form they are in. There was a separate thread this week about how crowds are the main determinant of success. Small clubs like Sutton, Fleetwood and Morecambe should not usually be beaten much bigger clubs like us, but our record against all of them is poor.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 18, 2023, 06:51:32 pm by dickos1 »
But I think everyone knows football isn’t like that don’t they

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on February 18, 2023, 06:58:11 pm by ForsolongaRover »

No, you’ve misunderstood. I used “club” as this is about their size, not their “team” and whatever form they are in. There was a separate thread this week about how crowds are the main determinant of success. Small clubs like Sutton, Fleetwood and Morecambe should not usually be beaten much bigger clubs like us, but our record against all of them is poor.

You have to be careful arguing along this track. Clubs like Wednesday and Leeds constantly remind you of the “big club” tag and look down on clubs like ours. On this measure we might just scrape into League 1, but the next step is like the US leagues and what some want for a Super-leagues etc., with no promotion on footballing merit, the Rugby Union model in the UK.

Do you really want that?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 18, 2023, 07:02:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think you’ve overshot there. We are a manifestly smaller club than Leeds (who lost today, which brightened an otherwise dull day) and Wendies. We shouldn’t be beating them and we rarely do, but when we do it is glorious. Our record against some of the attendance small fry I mentioned  isn’t good and this is an irritant. Nobody is saying we should have leagues only based on resources.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on February 18, 2023, 08:30:54 pm by Rovers91 »
Rowe should be further up the pitch, it's f**king ridiculous that he is playing the position he is. I know Schofield doesn't like Griffiths but surely he is an option to have on bench? Not like we have a single striker in the first team currently scoring or any other options on bench looking like scoring.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 08:33:27 pm by Rovers91 »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on February 18, 2023, 08:44:51 pm by since-1969 »
Sutton were a poor side but took their chances.  Would like to see us get a solid cb for next season as Rowe wasted in that position. Some signs of good football though but why do we persist in playing from the back.
The difference between the teams one team played to their strengths and the other doesn’t know theirs !!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on February 18, 2023, 09:07:30 pm by scawsby steve »
Rowe should be further up the pitch, it's f**king ridiculous that he is playing the position he is. I know Schofield doesn't like Griffiths but surely he is an option to have on bench? Not like we have a single striker in the first team currently scoring or any other options on bench looking like scoring.

What evidence is there that Griffiths will add anything?

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 18, 2023, 09:37:45 pm by Rovers91 »

What evidence is there that Griffiths will add anything?

Worth an option off the bench for a few games see what he can do under DS, what's Seaman going to offer off the bench when we are chasing a goal or Barlow when he comes on? He's already shown more than Barlow in the last 2 years when he has played by scoring 2 goals yet Barlow gets in squad when he offers absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 09:40:41 pm by Rovers91 »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on February 18, 2023, 10:03:50 pm by roversdude »
The difference between the teams one team played to their strengths and the other doesn’t know theirs !!

I agree you are a clown

EfD further evidence if you need it - exhibit one m’lud
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 11:13:59 pm by roversdude »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 18, 2023, 10:04:47 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Was one of the most undeserved wins I’ve seen at our place against this lot. Not quite as one sided but this result evens things out really.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on February 18, 2023, 10:18:59 pm by roversdude »
Just back and can’t believe we lost that.
Only one team in it first half unfortunately a few had an off day
Can see why they have a good home record just pumping the ball up in the air. 
Btw the most useless ball boys ever

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on February 18, 2023, 11:35:17 pm by wilts rover »
Miss 3 good chances, 2 of them with only a defender on the line in the way, and then slip and fall over when you are defending a corner, its not going to go well.

What was it with all the slipping and falling over today? Did Rowe and Molyneux not take any proper boots with them and although they were the worst they weren't the only ones. And it was that which cost us the game. Can't have been the pitch as I dont remember a Sutton player falling over once.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on February 19, 2023, 12:27:26 am by Campsall rover »
We were the better team today.
Totally dominated the 1st half without creating clear cut chances.
2nd half we had a glorious chance to take the lead but George Miller hesitated for a second. Earlier in the season he would have scored.
His confidence in front of goal is shot but it will take just one goal to get it back I am sure. He is working hard and his overall play was good today.
If he wasn’t working hard I would say give him a rest but it just needs one to go in any way possible for his fortune to change.

At 1-0  down Lavery on as a sub for Molyneuex who was ineffective today then missed another sitter. Hit it into the ground and ball just bounced over the cross bar.

We have to get more shots off & be more clinical when we get great chances as those two were today. Hurst and Molyneux need to get the ball into the box quicker. Seem to want to beat their man twice sometimes or not get the pass off quicker.

Overall we played some really good football. Moved the ball much quicker, just need an end product to the approach play.

The difference was Sutton took their best 2 chances and we didn’t.

Very disappointed as 3 valuable points lost and it was a very very long journey home.

Makes it even more important we beat Bradford City next Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:29:30 am by Campsall rover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on February 19, 2023, 12:56:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Maybe the problem is that our forwards just aren't really good enough?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on February 19, 2023, 06:28:49 am by Lesonthewest »
Watching that today, thought we were really good on the ball first half, very poor second. We are badly lacking in the final third, personnel wise, & decision making. Not good enough to make the play offs in my opinion.  We were beaten today by little more than a poor team that were just organised, big, & physical, sad point is  that's all it takes to beat us nowadays.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on February 19, 2023, 06:46:30 am by Chris Black come back »
Amazed at how big some of their players were. That lad they brought on midway through second half was colossal.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on February 19, 2023, 07:24:42 am by Chris Black come back »

They didn’t really press us that hard when we were playing out, mainly because their two lads up front were huge units that had no mobility. What they did though was compress hard when we got into their half and given let’s say our dynamism in the final third is a work in progress, we had a relatively small number of chances.

Their defenders were absolutely massive. Although one of them was almost a few inches shorter when the other brickshithouse at the back almost took his head off with a flying boot. Probably would have knocked him clean unconscious if he connected.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on February 19, 2023, 07:41:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »
One defeat in four games. We didn’t do enough with the ball when on top, chased the game as we had to when going a goal down, then got caught with a sucker punch.
A few teams been there and got nothing. Very disappointing not to at least get a point. We could do with winning the next three.

On Rowe we aren’t good enough, to afford playing him back there really. I understand the reasoning adding quality at bringing the ball out. I think we would be better served with him in midfield and Long slotting in at centre back.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on February 19, 2023, 08:00:22 am by Lesonthewest »

They are shit, they probably have the 2nd best home record in the league because the league is also shit.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 19, 2023, 08:19:17 am by Spilsby Red »
They played to their strengths. Must be boring to watch all the time but that’s what teams like Sutton do. As previous people have said, they have a great home record. That’s the reason why.
There was plenty of effort and play from us, just wasn’t to be. Miller needs resting. Offers nothing. Give Lavery and bring on T Miller in next week. See if that might work

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on February 19, 2023, 11:22:21 am by roversdude »
Matt Gray and their number 4 must be up for the greatest sh*thousery award surely

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on February 19, 2023, 03:15:10 pm by EasyforDennis »

I agree you are a clown

EfD further evidence if you need it - exhibit one m’lud

What are you babbling on about now?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on February 19, 2023, 03:51:43 pm by roversdude »
You said it was ridiculous to suggest that some posters only appear when we lose

TinyPortal © 2005-2012