Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:06:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gary Woods  (Read 4009 times)

wardy16

• Forum Member
Gary Woods
« on January 19, 2011, 09:22:39 pm by wardy16 »
We've all seen Sully's past couple of games and we can all see that he's knackered! We've only seen Woods once or twice for about 5 minutes a time, so why not give him his chance?

Unless O'Driscoll knows how bad he is! (if so why keep him?)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MiKA

• Forum Member
Re:Gary Woods
« Reply #1 on January 19, 2011, 10:59:48 pm by MiKA »
I see it as a worry, just how bad does Sulli need to be before Woods is given a chance? SOD see's him everyday in training, does he truly think that Woods is no better? if thats the case then we're screwed.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 20, 2011, 08:35:36 am by DonnyNoel »
I think we're seeing a small drawback to only having two keepers now in that perhaps earlier in the season we could have loaned Woods out and got a real idea of his standard. There are some real quality keepers at this level and if/when we replace Sulli it's an important call as to who gets the gloves.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 20, 2011, 12:15:35 pm by Donnywolf »
...AND in addition to the 2 posts directly above we have to remember that should Sulli get injured in a game at any point we will see Woods \"thrown in\" at a moments notice.

Surely better to give him advance notice ? However as usual I will defer to SOD. I KNOW he will KNOW what has to be done and when

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 20, 2011, 12:41:54 pm by DonnyNoel »
DONNYWOLF wrote:
...AND in addition to the 2 posts directly above we have to remember that should Sulli get injured in a game at any point we will see Woods \"thrown in\" at a moments notice.

Surely better to give him advance notice ? However as usual I will defer to SOD. I KNOW he will KNOW what has to be done and when

That would also be a real test of SODs faith in Woods. Should Sulli get injured for a couple of games I would imagine Woods would get his chance. Should he get injured for 4+ games would he still get the chance or would SOD delve into the loan market?

Its not a slight on Woods of course - we've seen too little of him to make a judgement either way. I guess I'm just musing as to whether he's genuine competition/successor to Sulli, or just a stop gap until Sulli leaves/retires and then we sign a more established player? Is he a Dumbuya or an Ameobi?!

All that said, I think it says a lot that when Ben Smith left we didn't go out and sign another keeper. Also Man U have produced a few decent keepers over the years that, whilst they haven't made it at Old Trafford, they've gone on to play at L1/NPC level.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 20, 2011, 12:59:13 pm by RobTheRover »
Sorry, not been on the forum for a few days, so apologies if this has been covered, but a rumour around Molyneux on tuesday was that we had sounded out a Premier League keeper on monday.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 20, 2011, 01:11:11 pm by Filo »
RobTheRover wrote:
Sorry, not been on the forum for a few days, so apologies if this has been covered, but a rumour around Molyneux on tuesday was that we had sounded out a Premier League keeper on monday.

Why is n`t this post in the Rumour Mill Rob? :ohmy:

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on January 20, 2011, 01:50:16 pm by VikingJames »
RobTheRover wrote:

Carl Ikeme from Wolves?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 20, 2011, 07:43:06 pm by Donnywolf »
VikingJames wrote:
RobTheRover wrote:

Carl Ikeme from Wolves?

The rumour going round MOLINEUX - was that Carl Ikeme may come to Rovers on loan. Thank f*** my mate will say because every game when Sulli had not met with my approval LAST season I used to say ....

....why the f*** dont we ask Wolves to loan us any one of their 4 keepers as at the time Matt Murray was \"coming back\" and they had WH / MH and Carl Ikeme. I ALWAYS thought we could get Ikeme who is no bad keeper

Bring it on ... then we can get Vokes dare I say Elokobi and a few more and sing we're just a team full of Wolfies !

He is shouting \"come and get me \"

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 23, 2011, 08:49:18 am by RobTheRover »
Not the Prem keeper's name I was given, John, at MOLYNEUX (sorry, its an in-joke with a pal)

I think the end of this thread might have to live in the rumour mill....

;-)

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 23, 2011, 08:23:27 pm by Old Popsider »
RobTheRover wrote:

Okay, if Sulli is to be backed up/rested what is going to happen with Woods? Is he being shipped out on loan or what?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 23, 2011, 08:34:17 pm by Donnywolf »
RobTheRover wrote:
Not the Prem keeper's name I was given, John, at MOLYNEUX (sorry, its an in-joke with a pal)

I think the end of this thread might have to live in the rumour mill....

;-)

Forgiven - owt to do with the classic Monty Python sketch ?

Sheffield Star spelt it MOLY in every item the other day as well

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 23, 2011, 08:41:55 pm by Goldthorpe Rover »
I spoke to young Woods at JR's book signing at the keepmoat, he's a down to earth lad. That aside why not give the lad a chance before bringing in a loan.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 23, 2011, 09:03:41 pm by danrover82 »
why not realise that the problem is the team as a whold and not just one man for chirst sake.

Sulli has had too much stick for the recent results and its not fair. He has 10 players in front of him who all need to defend. Why dont people just get off his back.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 23, 2011, 09:55:42 pm by wilts rover »
danrover82 wrote:
why not realise that the problem is the team as a whold and not just one man for chirst sake.

Sulli has had too much stick for the recent results and its not fair. He has 10 players in front of him who all need to defend. Why dont people just get off his back.

and also a reason why Sean might be reluctant to bring in a very inexperienced keeper when he has a defence with as much reliability as the Titanic ahead of him - some of them with the turning circle and speed of the Titanic too.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 23, 2011, 10:02:34 pm by RedJ »
Martis is injured, actually ;-)

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 23, 2011, 11:51:57 pm by danrover82 »
I'm just glad that SOD has a more sensible head then some on here.

I'm sure that Gary Woods is and will be a very good keeper for us, but his time will come. Lets just all keep behind Sulli who is and always be a legend in Rovers history for however long we have him. Come Tuesday the same people will be singing his name. The same few that probably asked him what score it was against Scunthorpe.

SOD would change it if he thought that Sulli was the problem, but he hasn't so lets not start questioning SOD's judgement now. We would have all sold our Grans for him to still be here after all the jobs he's been linked with.

Time for the fans to get perspective I think and realise that we are just a Championship club living the dream. Not a Premier League club fighting for our place in the big time again.

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 24, 2011, 03:54:29 pm by PACMAN »
Looks like we are looking at a new keeper this week.......................

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6699076,00.html

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 24, 2011, 05:33:33 pm by Wokingviking »
Is Weaver's neighbour still doing owt?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 24, 2011, 05:38:33 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Wokingviking wrote:
Is Weaver's neighbour still doing owt?

On trial in Spain for Real Pies Sporting Club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012