Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:24:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What's going on and what we do about it.  (Read 4009 times)

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
What's going on and what we do about it.
« on February 18, 2011, 08:31:12 am by FuzzyDuck »
I'm sat waiting for a train so thought I'd write something to pass the time.

Last season we flirted briefly with the play-offs before a very respectable 12th place finish.  This season it's never been as good.  We were scoring goals but the defence has been dodgy all season.  The football has also relied more on the longer-ball than it has done in the past.  Since the newyear we've been in free-fall as the goals have dried up; the creativity is missing and the defence has gone from bad to worse!

Let's start with defence.  As I say, dodgy all year.  Why?  The defence lacks a leader.  Last season we had Gareth Roberts and Jason Shackell natural leaders back there.  The year before it was Matt Mills and Gareth.

As players I think Martis, Hird, Thomas, Kilgallon etc are all good enough.  But there's not a leader among them.  So there's no direction on the pitch so mistakes are made.

Couple the lack of leadership with the fact that there are now so many CBs at the club that they are being rotated too regularly in training and that the injury problems that led to this situation cause the same pairing to be played at most for 2 games consecutively and you get:

The defence not training enough together

The defence not playing enough together

....and all this with no leaders.  Result....we ship goals.

Lack of creativity next.  This stems from the defence.  With your defence so dodgy, it's understandable that the midfield want the ball away from them as quickly as possible.  Previously opponents would choke the midfield to stop them from playing their passing game.  The result if teams could do this was usually an unattractive low-scoring draw or defeat for Rovers.  Now, because teams know our defence is dodgy, they also know that if they push on in midfield, especially in our half, we will attempt to get rid.  Going long to our big strikers......ah well.  So press the Rovers and they will lose possession.  Result....we concede lots.

What do we do:

Well, I don't see things changing much before the end of this season.  Yes, some of the injuries will return, but until there's a couple of strong leaders at the back, the defence will remain frail.  The midfield then loses the confidence to play in front of them so chances up front become scarce.  I think Matt Kilgallon was hoped to be the leader at the back.  But having listened to his interviews, he's a good lad, but no leader.

We can hope the directors put their hands in their pockets even more.  But with wages up 33% in a year and the attendences we're getting should we hope for this let alone expect it?  It's not a sustainable way to run a business.

What we can do is get behind the club scout scheme and get as many season tickets sold as possible.  We can drag our mates along to watch them.  It might not be pleasant or an easy sell at the mo but it's not impossible!

Most of all, at no cost we can sing, chant, clap and scream ourselves hoarse for 90 minutes every game and then clap the players off when they lose 6:0.

The players need that at the mo. No boos, no mass exodus at half time and if you are fan in the \"well, they don't deserve that\" camp, I say maybe not.  But they know that anyway.  Just think of the effect it has on them if they get this support anyway.  

Finally to the small minority.  He's the best manager we've ever had.  He will get us out of this and even if he didn't, I wouldn't prefer to see anyone else in charge in league 1.

Trust in SOD, he knows what he is doing, he has not lost the dressing room or the plot.  Hard times, that's all.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re:What's going on and what we do about it.
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2011, 08:46:16 am by Ldr »
Top post  :)

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2011, 09:15:39 am by MiKA »
Well said that man, you ever thought about going into football management?   ;)

JoeyRover

« Reply #3 on February 18, 2011, 09:21:44 am by JoeyRover »
Last Line = Nail on Head

I certainly wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of OD by refusing to pull me weight or questioning his methods in the dressing room - I doubt the players, many of whom are playing in a league above their level would too.

Although, I wouldn't blame him if he has lost the plot - trying to work wonders with the resources available. He'd have more joy, cooking a 3 course meal on a camp stove, outside... in the rain. Luckily for him, most of us only want beans and sausage.  :S

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2011, 09:44:14 am by bobjimwilly »
Great post Fuzzy!

:scarf:

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2011, 10:17:52 am by inSODwetrust »
For as long as I have a hole in my arse, Rovers fans will NOT sing for 90 minutes, unfortunately!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2011, 10:31:16 am by wilts rover »
Nothing there to disagree with although I never saw Gareth Roberts as much of a leader figure, surely Jimmy O'C is more so? Top post.

stoxy001

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2011, 11:06:22 am by stoxy001 »
someone talking sense on the vsc forum.......amazing!

good post fuzzyduck

DRFCTom

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 18, 2011, 04:21:26 pm by DRFCTom »
If SOD ever left I know who I'd want as his replacement!  ;)

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 18, 2011, 04:57:30 pm by FuzzyDuck »
inSODwetrust wrote:
For as long as I have a hole in my arse, Rovers fans will NOT sing for 90 minutes, unfortunately!

:laugh: think you have a point there.

Now't stops us from trying though.  ;)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 18, 2011, 05:06:53 pm by RedJ »
Can't argue with that, FD. I think we should call for everyone who does sing, and everyone willing to sing, to do so for 90 minutes. As I've said loads of times on here lately, a good feeling in the stands could filter down onto the pitch.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2011, 07:28:34 pm by Alickismyhero »
Is this your maiden speech Fuzzy? Out of the top draw again as per usual. To all you Vikings Fuzzy is by far the best contributor on 606 and I think you can see why.Lets hope he stays.
Alick

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 18, 2011, 09:12:54 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=142025
although I never saw Gareth Roberts as much of a leader figure, surely Jimmy O'C is more so? Top post.

As you guessed, I'm not so sure.  I think Jimmy is our best defender. He is a big-game, gives 110% and is Rovers through and through.  He's no leader though.  I've seen him all too often have a little personal mama when something as gone wrong.  Thats not leading.

Fantastic player though.

Gareth on the other hand is pretty level headed and cool.  SOD also saw something, making him captain on a couple of occasions.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 18, 2011, 09:18:05 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Hi Alick  - No its no debut.  I've written a couple already but thanks for the vote of confidence.

I'll at a minimum keep checking in around here.  The VSC does good work and should be supported by all Rovers

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 18, 2011, 09:20:21 pm by hoolahoop »
Top post FD, time to get right behind the team .....ALL OF US.
Stop thinking that it's everybody elses job to cheer the team along please. You can still take in the game tactically, you don't have to sing in tune but the lads need it more than ever.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 18, 2011, 10:54:15 pm by BobG »
Funny. I wasn't aware the centre halves had been \"rotated\". Haven't quite a few of 'em kept on geting injured?

Rather undermines the whole thesis Fuzzy.

Cheers

BobG

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 18, 2011, 11:18:22 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Quote from: \"BobG\" post=142156
Funny. I wasn't aware the centre halves had been \"rotated\". Haven't quite a few of 'em kept on geting injured?

Rather undermines the whole thesis Fuzzy.

Cheers

BobG

BobG - put your reading glasses on.  I said they were getting rotated in training.  Where did I get that from?  Matt Kilgallon's first interview when joining the Rovers.

Rather undermines your whole reply

Cheers

FuzzyDuck:P

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 18, 2011, 11:28:44 pm by BobG »
1) How do you know that?
2) What difference does it make? YOur oint would stand irrespective of whether it's training or matchplay.

Cheers :)

BobG

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 18, 2011, 11:37:39 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"BobG\" post=142172
1) How do you know that?
2) What difference does it make? YOur oint would stand irrespective of whether it's training or matchplay.

Cheers :)

BobG

You on the pop again Bob ? :)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 18, 2011, 11:38:48 pm by Viking Don »
All for the support FD, but armchair management is all we all do. Bob's correct.

I see someone wants you as our next manager! That's just very funny.

Have you ever been interviewed for a TV broadcast? How do you know Killa isn't a leader based on an interview? Because he doesn't grab the interviewer by the throat and demand he asks questions he wants to answer?

No need to thank me for my post BTW. I don't need patting on the head....

Mods, can we turn this 'thankyou big thumbs up' shit off on here please, it's a bit pathetic. seeing grown! men stroking each others willys

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2011, 12:03:02 am by FuzzyDuck »
I know that because after his first training session, Matt Kilgallon did an interview for player.  If you have player you can look it up and play it.  In the interview Kllla is talking about competition for places and how surprised he is about the number of centre-backs.  He days \"we were rotating all the time\"

What difference does it make?

Because we have lots of centre-backs, they are being rotated a lot in training.  I believe Rovers have 7 CBs on the books at the mo including JOC. This means that if they are all training there are 21 possible pairings.  If we have 5 CBs, that's 10 possible pairings.  That means, if you cover all combinations, a centre back pairing trains together for twice as much time with only 5 CBs training than it does with 7.  In this way, the injuries actually help in a way although don't get me wrong, I'd prefer not to have them. But the injuries do reduce the combinations available, so increase the time the CBs train together.

Because of the chronic injury situation we have, the coaches are likely to cover all bases, believing that should they \"be stuck with\" Martis and Killa as the only 2 fit CBs, at least they will have trained together, if not played together. Sadly, it waters down the effect of training together as they simply can't train together for so long with all the combinations available.

Hope you get where I'm coming from now.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2011, 12:10:40 am by FuzzyDuck »
Sorry for thanking you...yeah your right.  I just saw it and clicked it, don't know why.

On how do I know Killa isn't a leader based on that interview, he just didn't strike me as a leader on that.  I'm looking it from a \"would I hire him to run a department at work\" point of view.  True, it wasnt much to go on, but on that limited amount he came across as a bit too much wanting to have a laugh with the lads.

Compare it with Healy's first interview.  Much more focus, much more drive.

I could be wrong of course, and will be the first to say if I am (I hope I am).

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2011, 12:14:44 am by Viking Don »
They're not all training at the same time as most of them are injured. We have never had 7 fit CH's training at the same time. The only reason we have 7 now is to cover injuries. JoC isn't really a CH either, ask him.

No I don't get your point at all.

As for Killa's interview, he knew damn well he'd be straight into the team, he only talks about 'competition' for 'Player' (i.e. fans that don't have a clue).

Please don't try and tell anybody that he was brought in to keep our other CH's on the ball!

Healy was here to impress (and knows the right things to say to get the fans on his side) but he's pretty much at the end of his career, Killa isn't. Yes he wants to have a laugh with the lads, but don't be fooled into thinking he wont have serious words - he'll settle in just fine and is the best CH we've got.

EDIT: LOL No Killa isn't going to run a f**king department at work for you, f**king hilarious! Could you clean his boots?

Fuzzyduck or Does he f**k? It's him again. Why bother, seriously haven't you got anything better to do, it's a bit sad.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2011, 07:43:06 am by FuzzyDuck »
Ok, let's take this one apart.  Firstly I know they're all not training at the same time, but the more who do train, the less time that they can  train together, as a pairing.  With 7 CBs, If you train 20 hours a week, that's less than 1 hour per pairing. With 5 CBs and only 10 pairings, we're talking 2 hours per pairing nearly twice as long.  Now you and me can like that or not like it.  We cant change it though because its maths.  Oh, I also know that they don't train as CB pairings all the time, but all that does is emphasize my point because they have even less time training together.

I also know JOC isn't a CB really, he's a RB.  That's why I mentioned him specifically for clarification.  I didn't want anyone to think I couldn't count.  His inclusion is justifiable because he does play a lot at CB, so I would hope he would train in the position from time to time.  The fact that he plays both positions throws even more defensive combinations in the soup...but I'll not go through that again!

Now do you really think footballers do interviews for player with initial assumption that the fans who will listen don't have a clue?  That's going to be their start-point?  The people who will see this are idiots so what's it matter?  I'd call that many many things and bright would not be one of them. If Killa had this attitude (and I don't think for one minute he did) then that would really confirm him as not being a leader.

Was Killa brought in to keep other players on their toes - no of course not, don't know where you got the idea I thought that. Did he know he was going straight in the team - probably - so what (is this bit going anywhere or are you just having a go at me? If you are save yourself some time.  I really couldn't give a shit)

On leadership, it's an ability.  Everyone has it, but at different levels. Like football really.  You can enhance it with training but the base-level of ability is remains a determining factor for how good you become as a leader.  Look in a playground.  You will see that there are kids who lead others.  They haven't been trained to do it. They just can.

The ability of leadership is the same, whether you're talking about a bunch of kids in a playground or a multi-million pound organization or even the DRFC back 4 (hence my comparison).  I did not see that quality in Killa's interview.  I did see it in Healy's interview.  Can I tell from that?  Well I can say whether I see it.  That doesn't make Killa a bad footballer.  Here I agree with you.  Put him in a stable defence with leadership and he'll do fine.

Now the last bit.  I'm not going to answer that directly, only to say that I never slag off other posters.  I disagree with them, argue with them and I can be a bit of a clever shit in doing so.  But I don't slag them off or deliberately insult them.  It lowers the tone and is unnecessary.  If you can't reply without doing that, I'd politely ask you not to bother,

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 19, 2011, 11:14:45 am by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"Viking Don\" post=142180
They're not all training at the same time as most of them are injured. We have never had 7 fit CH's training at the same time. The only reason we have 7 now is to cover injuries. JoC isn't really a CH either, ask him.

No I don't get your point at all.

As for Killa's interview, he knew damn well he'd be straight into the team, he only talks about 'competition' for 'Player' (i.e. fans that don't have a clue).

Please don't try and tell anybody that he was brought in to keep our other CH's on the ball!

Healy was here to impress (and knows the right things to say to get the fans on his side) but he's pretty much at the end of his career, Killa isn't. Yes he wants to have a laugh with the lads, but don't be fooled into thinking he wont have serious words - he'll settle in just fine and is the best CH we've got.

EDIT: LOL No Killa isn't going to run a f**king department at work for you, f**king hilarious! Could you clean his boots?

Fuzzyduck or Does he f**k? It's him again. Why bother, seriously haven't you got anything better to do, it's a bit sad.

Why oh why does it have to descend into personal abuse? You 2 obviously don't agree, fair enough. Discuss, disagree but to post abuse at other posters well........ it does seem to be a common trait on this forum

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 19, 2011, 11:50:11 am by FuzzyDuck »
My point entirely Ravenrover.  I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but let's do the disagreeing in a friendly, amicable way.  

I don't know who this guy is, I'm sure he's a decent bloke and all that but why was that last para necessary?

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 19, 2011, 12:34:02 pm by dumbroofer »
a quick little pointer on our defence/defending,if you practice defending crosses,either corners, freekicks or whatever .our lot are not very good agreed? and the reason behind this you may ask, is quite simple ,all you have to do is fastforward up the other end o the pitch and watch our lot take said corners /freekicks n whatever. not very good.so our defence have a simple task in training,but come matchday lo and behold left wanting. oh and by the way this is all tongue in cheek stuff ,but it does make ya wonder

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 19, 2011, 12:58:16 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Nah.....it can't be that simple. It's got to have summat to do with combinations of defenders, strikers what they're eating  and the current phase of the moon.

Our defence are crap at corners because they only face crap corners in training....Next thing you'll be saying is you have to defend well to keep clean sheets :unsure:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012