Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:44:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: \"6 new players\"  (Read 4007 times)

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
\"6 new players\"
« on May 18, 2011, 12:17:36 pm by DMnumber4 »
Briefly mentioned on another thread, but who would you look to get in?

I would have seven to include a keeper, but assuming Sulli is staying then that unfortunately rules Joe Murphy out of a move here :(

1 centre half, 1 left back, 3 midfielders and one or 2 strikers required:

Centre half - Was going to say Dave Winfield (Wycombe) or Peter Clarke (Huddersfield) but both signed new contracts, Jason Pearce at Bournemouth may be one to look at.

Left-back - Craig Woodman (Brentford) or Joe Mills (Saints)

Midfield - Gary Roberts (Huddersfield), Kemy Augustien (Swansea) and either Emmanuel Ledesma (Walsall) or Ryan Mason (on loan for a year).

Striker - Nathan Tyson (Forest) or Iain Hume (PNE) for hard work and pace. And Neil Mellor (PNE) to hold the ball up.

Just a few names to throw out there, who hopefully could be seen as realistic.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re: \"6 new players\"
« Reply #1 on May 18, 2011, 01:24:38 pm by grayx »
I think we need more than 6 to enable us to have a good \"clear-out\".

1 Keeper, 2 centre-halves, 3 midfielders, 2 strikers.

We are desperate for pace & physical strength in the squad. I think we could well end up selling our prize asset to help fund this & think SOD will have to look at players in lower divisions as well as those struggling to get first team football in better championship teams/lower Premiership sides. As usual, wages will be a massive stumbling block. The keeper from Scunthorpe (Murphy)is a must in my opinion.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 18, 2011, 02:52:28 pm by Superspy »
gray i think you're forgetting 1 particular area of the pitch where we currently have nobody...well, technically 1 player, but we're all in agreement it's not his best position...Left-back.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #3 on May 18, 2011, 03:05:56 pm by Rovin Reporter »
No experience at this level then .. so why bother just because there cheap

herouk87

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 18, 2011, 03:25:58 pm by herouk87 »
I'm glad to see we're having a proper clear out this season. In the past i don't think SOD has been ruthless enough to cut the players that aren't good enough at this level. I don't want to se it every year, but after the 2011 the team has had, a lot of new faces might do us some good

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 18, 2011, 03:39:41 pm by wabtec »
what makes you think we are having a clearout.have you seen heard or read anything that suggests that apart from webster and brooker?

herouk87

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 18, 2011, 03:43:25 pm by herouk87 »
no but since JR has said we're getting 6 new players in and it's highly unlikely that SODs budget will increase significantly then it makes sense to presume that approximately 6 players will be leaving.

We also have several players out of contract in next month. If they were all in SODs plans then a couple of them would have been re-signed by now.

Just reading between the lines

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 18, 2011, 04:19:59 pm by Drover »
Quote from: \"DMnumber4\" post=157213
Briefly mentioned on another thread, but who would you look to get in?

I would have seven to include a keeper, but assuming Sulli is staying then that unfortunately rules Joe Murphy out of a move here :(
1 centre half, 1 left back, 3 midfielders and one or 2 strikers required:

Centre half - Was going to say Dave Winfield (Wycombe) or Peter Clarke (Huddersfield) but both signed new contracts, Jason Pearce at Bournemouth may be one to look at.

Left-back - Craig Woodman (Brentford) or Joe Mills (Saints)

Midfield - Gary Roberts (Huddersfield), Kemy Augustien (Swansea) and either Emmanuel Ledesma (Walsall) or Ryan Mason (on loan for a year).

Striker - Nathan Tyson (Forest) or Iain Hume (PNE) for hard work and pace. And Neil Mellor (PNE) to hold the ball up.

Just a few names to throw out there, who hopefully could be seen as realistic.

Don't forget woods is currently injured,so even if Sulli signs we would only have youth for cover or we would get a loanee for cover at the start of the season.I could see us signing Murphy and then Sulli being used for cover at the start of next season.We will still need another Keeper after sulli leaves.June 1st(or july 1st,not sure when most contract run till) is when we will most likely find out.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 18, 2011, 04:43:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
According to the Free Press we're in talks for Ryan Mason, SOD was also in Spain today scouting.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 18, 2011, 04:44:24 pm by grayx »
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=157227
gray i think you're forgetting 1 particular area of the pitch where we currently have nobody...well, technically 1 player, but we're all in agreement it's not his best position...Left-back.

Whoops! Quite like Joe Mills.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 18, 2011, 04:51:32 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"grayx\" post=157248
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=157227

Whoops! Quite like Joe Mills.

as do i, but if we're taking friend to be a CB from now on, and if chambers was to be released, that leaves us with JOC and muzzy at right back, and only mills at left, so at this point i'd go as far as to say a couple of left backs would be more important than midfielders for us at the minute. depends on what SOD wants though, as obviously we've seen JOC play left back aswell.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 18, 2011, 05:36:27 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=157246
According to the Free Press we're in talks for Ryan Mason, SOD was also in Spain today scouting.

... Has Ryan Burge got a brother??

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 18, 2011, 06:00:14 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=157255
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=157246

... Has Ryan Burge got a brother??

Is SOD scouting at a New Camp? I think Burge's a loner :coat: :coat: :coat:

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 18, 2011, 06:19:56 pm by Metalmicky »
Who is to say we won't take Murphy as No 1 keeper, have Sulli as stand-by and let Woods go out to get some experience at another lower division club.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 18, 2011, 06:22:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I really think (hope) SOD will go for 2 possibly 3 key signings and 3 relatively unknowns or free's with potential with an emphasis on youth. Mason being one of these, Mills possibly another.

With the likes of Dumbuya, Mills, Friend, Mason, Burge etc., being binded together with experience in key positions, this could be the way forward.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 18, 2011, 07:28:38 pm by Jonathan »
I would like to see:

1 keeper
1 left back
2 centre backs
1 central midfielder
1 Ryan Mason
1 striker

That's 7, it looks like we might be going to try and get away without a keeper, so there's the 6 for me. Not bothered about going for big names, just as long as we're not scraping the barrel with any more Wayne Thomas type leftovers.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 18, 2011, 07:40:40 pm by Viking Don »
Murphy
Mills
2 Killas (Kilgallon, Kilkenny)
Mason
Le Fondre

I can dream.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 18, 2011, 07:51:01 pm by bedale rover »
Quote from: \"Viking Don\" post=157281
Murphy
bbmillsbb
2 Killas (Kilgallon, Kilkenny)
Mason
Le Fondre

I can dream.

not sure that i would take mills thought 3 injuries in 6 months wasnt a good omen or the fact that he seemed to get slower the longer he played and then couple that with the fact that he was unable to plant a ball in a threatening area when completely unchallenged  may have something to do with it

i think that lad mentioned in the rumour section sounds ok as does kennedy whom we nearly signed last season

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 18, 2011, 08:00:33 pm by DonnyEl »
Murphy
Mills
St Ledger (might want out of PNE?)
Euell
JET
Mason

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 19, 2011, 06:15:57 am by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=157279
I would like to see:

1 keeper
1 left back
2 centre backs
1 central midfielder
1 Ryan Mason
1 striker

That's 7,
it looks like we might be going to try and get away without a keeper, so there's the 6 for me. Not bothered about going for big names, just as long as we're not scraping the barrel with any more Wayne Thomas type leftovers.
[/i]

To be honest, that is something that troubles me! IMO we definately need a keeper this year. Woods is just not ready to be number 1. Don't get me wrong, I like him, he's definately going to be a class keeper in a year or two, but I just think he needs a bit longer to get some experience and develop a few skills. In saying that, he's currently injured, Sulli is coming up 42 and could be injury prone in future.

If, god forbid, injuries occur to them both (and normally I would say that would be rare... but not after this season!!!), then we rely on reserves.

I would now definately be chasing round Scunny after Joe Murphy like something off Benny Hill!!

ljm-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 19, 2011, 06:54:37 am by ljm-drfc »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=157334
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=157279
I would like to see:

1 keeper
1 left back
2 centre backs
1 central midfielder
1 Ryan Mason
1 striker

That's 7,
it looks like we might be going to try and get away without a keeper, so there's the 6 for me. Not bothered about going for big names, just as long as we're not scraping the barrel with any more Wayne Thomas type leftovers.
[/i]

To be honest, that is something that troubles me! IMO we definately need a keeper this year. Woods is just not ready to be number 1. Don't get me wrong, I like him, he's definately going to be a class keeper in a year or two, but I just think he needs a bit longer to get some experience and develop a few skills. In saying that, he's currently injured, Sulli is coming up 42 and could be injury prone in future.

If, god forbid, injuries occur to them both (and normally I would say that would be rare... but not after this season!!!), then we rely on reserves.

I would now definately be chasing round Scunny after Joe Murphy like something off Benny Hill!!

Completely agree, I think signing a new keeper should be one of our Priorities at the moment.

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 19, 2011, 09:16:49 am by Kenny_Senior »
We need a new keeper or are we giving Neil Sullivan a year-by-year contract until the age of 65 when we can finally get shut of him?

If we're signing six new players then it would be at least one GK (Woods isn't good enough either but at least he still has age in his favour), two centre halves, a left back, at least one strong centre-midfielder, a battering ram of a striker, and at least one or two strikers with pace and/or potential and better than the likes of Fairhurst?

Not sure if that is six, but it sure shows the scale of the problems last season.

herouk87

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 19, 2011, 03:12:04 pm by herouk87 »
Quote from: \"Kenny_Senior\" post=157367
one or two strikers with pace and/or potential and better than the likes of Fairhurst?

Lewis Guy?

VikingJames

« Reply #23 on May 19, 2011, 04:51:43 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"herouk87\" post=157466
Quote from: \"Kenny_Senior\" post=157367
one or two strikers with pace and/or potential and better than the likes of Fairhurst?

Lewis Guy?

They have to be able to kick a ball too.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 19, 2011, 05:07:46 pm by keyser_soze »
From Wikipedia:

\"Guy is well known for his ability to coax defenders into fouling him inside the penalty area. This achieved many penalties for Doncaster in the past. However, his diving antics weren't always popular with the Rovers faithful and he still remains a target for abuse from many supporters. He did however win the Cumbria diving championships during his time with Doncaster Rovers, performing a triple pike into the river Eden.\"

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 19, 2011, 05:43:23 pm by southwestexile »
excellent :laugh: but I'm surprised he managed to hit the water

TinyPortal © 2005-2012