Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:56:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How badly do we need a goal scorer  (Read 4012 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
How badly do we need a goal scorer
« on August 22, 2018, 06:31:00 am by phil old leake »
Unfortunately it’s not happening up top.  Quite good build up play but not finding the net.  We need a striker with confidence to put pressure on our forwards.  I’m sure it will come good for them hopefully sooner rather than when too many points have been dropped due to lack of goals

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: How badly do we need a goal scorer
« Reply #1 on August 22, 2018, 06:45:55 am by GazLaz »
What is Marquis then? His record with us suggests he’s a goal scorer.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 22, 2018, 06:59:01 am by DRNaith »
I'd rather wait for Marquis to find form than roll the dice with any other option

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 22, 2018, 07:13:12 am by dickos1 »
Two of our strikers have scored 2 in 4 games. Carry on like that and they’ll be both getting 23 goals this season and you want them replacing?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 22, 2018, 08:09:05 am by since-1969 »
Our approach is  predictable and repetitive, defenses read  our intentions easily , and Marquis isn’t helping by being out side of the target areas when the final delivery is made . He’s often in the wrong place and left trying to create something when up against 2 or 3 defenders . We have pace in the side yet we don’t get to the byline  more than a few times in 90 mins. Too many long balls with no end product. We need to play to our strengths and consentrate on keeping better possession in first fazes of  moves and help get better second balls .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 22, 2018, 08:10:16 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
What is Marquis then? His record with us suggests he’s a goal scorer.

Exactly.  He's got a couple of goals and assists despite probably having 3 fairly average games.  He could and probably should have had 5 goals.  You can see he's frustrated.  His miss last night wasn't the best but what we should remember was his great play in the build up, great run and great movement.  Hard luck really that the last bit just came wrong otherwise you're talking a Premier league standard bit of play.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 22, 2018, 08:17:35 am by GazLaz »
Our approach is  predictable and repetitive, defenses read  our intentions easily , and Marquis isn’t helping by being out side of the target areas when the final delivery is made . He’s often in the wrong place and left trying to create something when up against 2 or 3 defenders . We have pace in the side yet we don’t get to the byline  more than a few times in 90 mins. Too many long balls with no end product. We need to play to our strengths and consentrate on keeping better possession in first fazes of  moves and help get better second balls .

We scored 6 goals in the first two games, that must mean you are judging the side on the last two games, do you not think that that is too small of a sample size??

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 22, 2018, 09:34:47 am by Bezza »
Marquis had a bad miss at Burton, but he was unlucky with the header last night, his goals will return.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 22, 2018, 09:42:53 am by steve@dcfd »
Marquis could also have injured himself last night we need another forward who can interchange with Marquis and Wilkes.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 22, 2018, 09:43:47 am by drfchound »
Marquis had a bad miss at Burton, but he was unlucky with the header last night, his goals will return.

Unlucky or a bad miss?
I think he should have put the header away last night and judging from his persona as he left the pitch, so does he.
Six yards out and a free header, should have been a goal.
Best chance of the match for either side.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 22, 2018, 09:52:50 am by Bristol Red Rover »
It would be nice to have another top class forward, but that's unrealistic. If we get a longish injury, or form totally drops, then that is the time to go hunting. If that happens to be outside of a window then we make do.

Also, the second string of forwards/attacking players need to step up. Until GM has got to a point where they are clearly not what he wants, that won't change either.

Meanwhile, we are 6th...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 22, 2018, 10:00:58 am by Bentley Bullet »
I think we're lacking a major ingredient of an effective attacking side, aerial power. We looked very weak in that department last night.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 22, 2018, 10:02:24 am by selby »
  We need other players in the team to join the party, we don't have enough goal scorers in the team.
  Apart from Wilks and Marquis, and probably Rowe, which other players do you leave the house going to the game and think he may score.
  Not many others come to mind do they, I include all the other forwards on the books when I say Butler or Wright and the other defenders are as likely to score.
  From Christmas last season to the end of the season, Beestin, May, and Kiwomya, two  in most cases played a part in most of the games and scored about four goals between them.
  That is our problem, apart from the three former mentioned no other player comes to the party.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 22, 2018, 10:05:44 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Kane, Taylor, Whiteman. But the three mentioned there, Beestin, May and Kiwomya need to start scoring when they get a chance - early days.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 22, 2018, 10:10:21 am by dickos1 »
Not sure you can have a go at may, kiwomya yet they’ve not had a chance really yet
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:44:14 am by dickos1 »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 22, 2018, 10:33:20 am by selby »
  I am not having a go at anybody, just pointing out their goal contribution from Christmas last season to the end of the season, which by any standard considering the total time those three were on the field was poor.
  They have to get better, or as strikers they will fail us this season, and not only them, the midfielders have to carry a threat.
  As a team we cannot depend on just Wilks and Marquis, they will be picked up and marked tightly every game. Teams are already stopping Wilks getting a shot off by standing on his left side, and trying to force him right, that's what he is here for to improve.
  The final ball in, and how quick we can get the ball into the danger area needs to improve as well, but Rome was not built in a day, we are better than we were.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 22, 2018, 10:57:54 am by sedwardsdrfc »
In Burton and Shrewsbury we've played teams who will probably be there abouts in the mix for playoffs and we've been a couple of missed chances from winning one and drawing the other. That's about where we should be in chasing the playoffs. If we can compete with these teams all season and then put the weaker sides to the sword like we did for periods of Southend and against Wycombe we'll be safe in the playoffs imo.

Hopefully we can take our chances against Pompey which will be 4 points from 3 difficult games

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 22, 2018, 12:28:17 pm by RoversAlias »
We've played 5 games and scored 8 goals haven't we? Unlucky not to have a few more too.

Wilks has 3 in 5 and Marquis has 2 in 5. It's a solid start from them both.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 22, 2018, 12:42:12 pm by dickos1 »
  I am not having a go at anybody, just pointing out their goal contribution from Christmas last season to the end of the season, which by any standard considering the total time those three were on the field was poor.
  They have to get better, or as strikers they will fail us this season, and not only them, the midfielders have to carry a threat.
  As a team we cannot depend on just Wilks and Marquis, they will be picked up and marked tightly every game. Teams are already stopping Wilks getting a shot off by standing on his left side, and trying to force him right, that's what he is here for to improve.
  The final ball in, and how quick we can get the ball into the danger area needs to improve as well, but Rome was not built in a day, we are better than we were.

Just a couple of points, I’m not sure you can describe kiwomya as a striker and you certainly can’t describe Beestin as one.
Also from Christmas onwards I’ve no idea how many they all played but I don’t think it was alll that often.
Especially may

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 22, 2018, 12:55:11 pm by Pancho Regan »

As a team we cannot depend on just Wilks and Marquis

Well, it's an improvement on depending just on Marquis alone, which is where we were throughout last season.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 22, 2018, 01:04:49 pm by IDM »
Marquis was very unlucky with his header last night - aiming for the bottom corner and very close too..

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 22, 2018, 01:08:21 pm by aidanstu »
Complete reactionist nonsense. A record with rovers of 0.41 goals per game. To put it into
Perspective shearer only had 0.51, Rooney 0.45 career averages and that’s not taking into account Marquis’ record of assists and the work he does for the team. Think before you speak.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:11:40 pm by aidanstu »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 22, 2018, 03:53:23 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
In Burton and Shrewsbury we've played teams who will probably be there abouts in the mix for playoffs and we've been a couple of missed chances from winning one and drawing the other. That's about where we should be in chasing the playoffs. If we can compete with these teams all season and then put the weaker sides to the sword like we did for periods of Southend and against Wycombe we'll be safe in the playoffs imo.

Hopefully we can take our chances against Pompey which will be 4 points from 3 difficult games

WOT   expect a knock at your front door from two men in white coats 

see what the Burton fans think

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-clough-ben-robinson-deliver-1921949
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:56:41 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 22, 2018, 05:07:42 pm by scawsby steve »

Sorry Sedward, but I have to disagree with that; Burton and Shrewsbury looked very very average, and in my opinion will be nowhere near the play-offs at the end of the season; it's how we do against the big clubs that will show how good we are, the likes of Portsmouth, Peterborough, Barnsley, Sunderland, and Charlton.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 22, 2018, 05:22:55 pm by selby »
  Steve, seems to me you are not taking into consideration the way both Shrewsbury and Burton approached their game with us.
  Both teams set out to frustrate us, and hoped to nick a goal, especially Burton. Portsmouth will come full of confidence as will Peterborough when we play them.
   If the games are less tactical and open, I fancy us even though they may be bigger clubs as you put it, and I would still go with the same opening line up injury allowing. They are all division 1 clubs for a reason, because their team is not that good, and only the team on the field can beat us, not the size of the club.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 22, 2018, 05:40:19 pm by dickos1 »
There’s no way you can tell after 3 or 4 games which teams are going to do well this season or not. If we’d drawn with Shrewsbury last August then people would have said the same then about them.
We also batterred Blackburn away from home last August, and Peterborough won their first 4 games last season and finished mid table.
I think Shrewsbury and Burton will be around the playoffs come may

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 22, 2018, 05:40:50 pm by scawsby steve »
  Steve, seems to me you are not taking into consideration the way both Shrewsbury and Burton approached their game with us.
  Both teams set out to frustrate us, and hoped to nick a goal, especially Burton. Portsmouth will come full of confidence as will Peterborough when we play them.
   If the games are less tactical and open, I fancy us even though they may be bigger clubs as you put it, and I would still go with the same opening line up injury allowing. They are all division 1 clubs for a reason, because their team is not that good, and only the team on the field can beat us, not the size of the club.

Brian, once again you're completely missing the point of what I was saying, which was that Burton and Shrewsbury will be nowhere near the play-offs at the end of the season; nothing whatsoever to do with tactics, simply the quality of their players. If you don't think we'll have to play out of our skins to beat the big teams, then you're being delusional.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 22, 2018, 05:51:22 pm by scawsby steve »
There’s no way you can tell after 3 or 4 games which teams are going to do well this season or not. If we’d drawn with Shrewsbury last August then people would have said the same then about them.
We also batterred Blackburn away from home last August, and Peterborough won their first 4 games last season and finished mid table.
I think Shrewsbury and Burton will be around the playoffs come may

You've just contradicted yourself there mate; you've said there's no way anyone can tell after 3 or 4 games which teams are going to do well this season, and then you've said you think Shrewsbury and Burton will be around the play-offs come May. Incidentally, what evidence are you basing that prediction on?.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:54:42 pm by scawsby steve »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 22, 2018, 06:01:51 pm by dickos1 »
Yeah you’re probably right I did, but what I’m trying to say is I don’t think you can say which teams are going to be up there and which aren’t at this stage. As my examples from last season prove.
Shrewsbury I thought looked good last night in the second half, and remember they got to the play off final last year, and although they’ve lost some players they’ve retained some and brought some more in.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 22, 2018, 06:04:06 pm by selby »
  Steve, I am not missing the point at all, you maybe right that both clubs in your opinion will not be up there at the end of the season.
  You miss my point that I am only considering their one game against us and the way they played,and on any given day Steve, a top of the table team can be poor, and a bottom mid table side play well against us.
  Styles of play by opposition sides make games easy, or hard, playing an open game against us will be dangerous, and could easily play into our hands, neither Burton or Shrewsbury did that. It remains to be seen if Portsmouth or Peterborough do, if they do I fancy us to give them a good game, and would not back them to beat us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012