Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:39:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How badly do we need a goal scorer  (Read 4011 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: How badly do we need a goal scorer
« Reply #30 on August 22, 2018, 06:29:28 pm by scawsby steve »
Yeah you’re probably right I did, but what I’m trying to say is I don’t think you can say which teams are going to be up there and which aren’t at this stage. As my examples from last season prove.
Shrewsbury I thought looked good last night in the second half, and remember they got to the play off final last year, and although they’ve lost some players they’ve retained some and brought some more in.

Dickos mate, you cannot possibly compare this Shrewsbury side to the one of last season; as well as losing a brilliant manager, they lost at least 6 of their best players, and the ones who've replaced them are simply not as good.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 22, 2018, 07:09:16 pm by PDX_Rover »
f**k me.... REALLY?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 22, 2018, 07:10:41 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not sure I agree, yes the managers a loss but they’ve signed some good players such as Lincoln’s captain, grant, they’ve made a couple of good loan signings from Chelsea, rangers and the goalie last night looked good from Huddersfield. Who have replaced the loan signings they had last year. And last night around half of the outfield players played in the play off final. So it’s not an outrageous suggestion to say they could be just as good as they were last season

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 22, 2018, 07:30:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I thought Shrewsbury were quite impressive last night, especially second half.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 22, 2018, 08:04:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
They were no pushovers that's for certain and I think a few on here are  suggesting we should be rolling over teams like this. It's not that easy. It's football.

Nor will results v Portsmouth and Peterborough define our season. How we perform against other teams in our division will.

Being hypercritical of the teams performance against a decent team is unfair and unrealistic given McCann's relatively short reign.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 22, 2018, 08:06:07 pm by RedJ »
They were no pushovers that's for certain and I think a few on here are  suggesting we should be rolling over teams like this. It's not that easy. It's football.

Exactly. People used to get reyt uppity about it when Championship fans took that attitude to us. It's exactly the same.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 22, 2018, 08:29:17 pm by RoversAlias »
I think Shrewsbury will do alright, they've built a half decent squad and once it all clicks I think they'll do okay. One thing they did seem to be missing last night was a striker who can threaten up front. Some very handy midfielders but neither John-Lewis or Angol look capable of being prolific.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 22, 2018, 09:34:39 pm by drfchound »
In Burton and Shrewsbury we've played teams who will probably be there abouts in the mix for playoffs and we've been a couple of missed chances from winning one and drawing the other. That's about where we should be in chasing the playoffs. If we can compete with these teams all season and then put the weaker sides to the sword like we did for periods of Southend and against Wycombe we'll be safe in the playoffs imo.

Hopefully we can take our chances against Pompey which will be 4 points from 3 difficult games

WOT   expect a knock at your front door from two men in white coats 

see what the Burton fans think

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-clough-ben-robinson-deliver-1921949

It says in that report “to boo a player(our own) is not being a true supporter”.
Some of our fans could do with heeding that message.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 22, 2018, 09:41:52 pm by drfchound »
I also think that Shrewsbury will be top half and possibly pushing for a play off place.
Their game plan against us was very good and when they got more adventurous in the second half they looked a good side.

I also think that our first half hour was more than good enough to cause them concern and feel that we can also compete in the top half as well.

As selby has said, and I said on the way home last night, Portsmouth and Peterbrough will play a more open game rather than sit ten men behind the ball.
This should make the games more enjoyable to watch and give our boys more opportunities to attack them when the chance comes along.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:45:29 pm by drfchound »

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 22, 2018, 09:44:37 pm by Lesonthewest »
The number 7 for them was their best player, real thorn for us second half.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 23, 2018, 07:26:05 pm by esdailles left foot »
Johnny is costing us points currently.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012